Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Amos 8:11-14. What does this verse imply about the "wor

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
S

Soma-Sight

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it. In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst. They that swear by the sin of Samaria, and say, Thy god, O Dan, liveth; and, The manner of Beersheba liveth; even they shall fall, and never rise up again"

Amos 8:11-14.

The whole book of Amos must be read to understand what is going on.

Here is an excerpt of "the theme of the book of Amos", from out of the Nelson's Student Bible:
Amos is a wealthy rancher from Judah who is sent to announce that God intends to judge Irael for the injustice that mars the society during the reign of Jerobaom II. Despite national prosperity and an infatuation with religious ritual, the rich are indifferent to the poor, and the courts deny justice to the needy. This indifference to those in need shows how far Israel is from understanding God's heart, or caring about Him. Such a people can expect only judgement from a holy God.

You only took verses Amos 8:11-14, But you must NOTICE THE PRECEEDING VERSES in Amos 8:1-10 which must not be ingnored when reading the book of Amos! .
The people are wicked , Selfish and indifferent. And The Lord is passing judgement on their wickedness. How long do you think God will allow wickedness to prevail? Wickedness has it's time of ripening! This is a time of ripened wickedness! The season of these people being wicked has come to fruition! They now have to pay the consequnces of thier own doing.
The more wicked people get the worse their attitudes get and the worse their behavior gets. No one can expect good things to come of wicked people? It just doesn't work that way. they may have a time of what seems to them to be getting away with their evil deeds. But evil deeds come to fruition also! TOO MANY PEOPLE JUST DON"T WANT TO FACE THE FACT that ... Evil begets evil.

We all need to ask..... What kind of seeds are being planted? Beware the harvest! Good begets good, evil begets evil.

Amos 8:1-14
1Thus hath the Lord GOD shewed unto me: and behold a basket of summer fruit. 2And he said, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A basket of summer fruit. Then said the LORD unto me,

The end is come upon my people of Israel; I will not again pass by them any more. 3And the songs of the temple shall be howlings in that day, saith the Lord GOD: there shall be many dead bodies in every place; they shall cast them forth with silence.

4Hear this, O ye that swallow up the needy, even to make the poor of the land to fail,

5Saying,

When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell corn? and the sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit? 6That we may buy the poor for silver, and the needy for a pair of shoes; yea, and sell the refuse of the wheat?

7The LORD hath sworn by the excellency of Jacob, Surely I will never forget any of their works. 8Shall not the land tremble for this, and every one mourn that dwelleth therein? and it shall rise up wholly as a flood; and it shall be cast out and drowned, as by the flood of Egypt. 9And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:
10And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.

So then, I ask this again....What do people expect?

Wicked begets wickedness.
Righteousness begets righteousness.

Whatever kind of seeds you sow, so shall the fruit of it come into being!

Wicked seed produce bad fruits!
Good seed produce good fruits.

That's what that "chapter" is about. Selfish wicked people reaping what they sow. Selfishness and indifference never produces good fruits!

Excerpt taken from out of The Illustrated Bible, Living Values Edition (a childrens bible) :

Amos (AY-mus) is written by a sheepherder and grower of fig trees who becomes a prophet. Amos lives in Tekoa, a few miles south of Jerusalem in Judah. His preaching and predictions, however, are mostly in Samaria, the capital city of Israel (the Northern Kingdom). His use of words to paint vivid pictures shows that he is a man of great spiritual, moral, and mental strength.

In this book Amos insists that people be treated fairly. Israel becomes very prosperous under King Jeroboam II. These newly rich people should use their money to help the poor. Instead, they use their power to make poor people even poorer, He says that religious feasts, holy days, and offerings to God only make God angry if the people are not fair and honest with each other.

Amos is a strong book of judgement. It tells you that you are responsible to God for the way you live. a good verse to underline in your Bible is Amos 3:3 "How can we walk together with your sins between us?" Another good verse to underline in your Bible is Amos 4:12 "Prepare to meet your God." The message of Amos is important. Are you prepared to meet God?

Amos and John's writings similar...

Indifference and Deceptions, Trickery/cheating people in order to make oneself richer..... It just doesn't pay off in the long run.... does it? :roll:

Isn't it interesting how the warnings of Amos and the predictions of the results of the deceptions of the rich men that Amos speaks of
are similar to the warning and the consequences that are written of by John in Revelation 18:1-24 ?

Book of Revelation 18:1-24

The Fall of Babylon the Great
1 After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was illuminated with his glory. 2And he cried mightily with a loud voice, saying, "Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit, and a cage for every unclean and hated bird! 3For all the nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth have become rich through the abundance of her luxury."
4And I heard another voice from heaven saying, "Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues. 5For her sins have reached to heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities. 6Render to her just as she rendered to you, and repay her double according to her works; in the cup which she has mixed, mix double for her. 7In the measure that she glorified herself and lived luxuriously, in the same measure give her torment and sorrow; for she says in her heart, "I sit as queen, and am no widow, and will not see sorrow.' 8Therefore her plagues will come in one day--death and mourning and famine. And she will be utterly burned with fire, for strong is the Lord God who judges her.

The World Mourns Babylon's Fall
9 "The kings of the earth who committed fornication and lived luxuriously with her will weep and lament for her, when they see the smoke of her burning, 10standing at a distance for fear of her torment, saying, "Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! For in one hour your judgment has come.'
11"And the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her, for no one buys their merchandise anymore: 12merchandise of gold and silver, precious stones and pearls, fine linen and purple, silk and scarlet, every kind of citron wood, every kind of object of ivory, every kind of object of most precious wood, bronze, iron, and marble; 13and cinnamon and incense, fragrant oil and frankincense, wine and oil, fine flour and wheat, cattle and sheep, horses and chariots, and bodies and souls of men. 14The fruit that your soul longed for has gone from you, and all the things which are rich and splendid have gone from you, and you shall find them no more at all. 15The merchants of these things, who became rich by her, will stand at a distance for fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, 16and saying, "Alas, alas, that great city that was clothed in fine linen, purple, and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls! 17For in one hour such great riches came to nothing.' Every shipmaster, all who travel by ship, sailors, and as many as trade on the sea, stood at a distance 18and cried out when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, "What is like this great city?'
19"They threw dust on their heads and cried out, weeping and wailing, and saying, "Alas, alas, that great city, in which all who had ships on the sea became rich by her wealth! For in one hour she is made desolate.'
20"Rejoice over her, O heaven, and you holy apostles and prophets, for God has avenged you on her!"

Finality of Babylon's Fall
21 Then a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone and threw it into the sea, saying, "Thus with violence the great city Babylon shall be thrown down, and shall not be found anymore. 22The sound of harpists, musicians, flutists, and trumpeters shall not be heard in you anymore. No craftsman of any craft shall be found in you anymore, and the sound of a millstone shall not be heard in you anymore. 23The light of a lamp shall not shine in you anymore, and the voice of bridegroom and bride shall not be heard in you anymore. For your merchants were the great men of the earth, for by your sorcery all the nations were deceived. 24And in her was found the blood of prophets and saints, and of all who were slain on the earth."

Back