Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

An angel describes exactly how Jesus will return in the second coming

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
“Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.” Acts 1:11

In all these discussions this verse suddenly came to mind. If we read the whole passage, his response to the disciples who are simply riveted there staring at the clouds doesn’t make sense at first. He (sorry woke people but all angels are male) asked them why they were standing there staring. Fair enough! More or less it’s time to move on.

But then he says the quote above which doesn’t speak to them about their own situation and lives. No timeline is mentioned. Why does he say this?

I’m continually amazed at how the Lord inserts statements into the Bible seemingly designed to counter false teaching that would come up millennia later. This is not picture language in metaphors or types. The angel clearly describes his return. No horses. No accompanying army. No weapons. In fact, alone. Totally peaceful. And he does NOT say “coming in the clouds” as that’s an OT expression that has one particular meaning (judgement on a nation.)

So my question would be what futurists do with this description? It doesn’t at all match the expectations in that eschatology. Do you ignore it? Are you willing to consider it?

No timeline is mentioned.

But there was a timeline.

Why does he say this?

I'm asking the question too.

For three years.

So my question would be what futurists do with this description? It doesn’t at all match the expectations in that eschatology. Do you ignore it? Are you willing to consider it?

There was more to this than just the method that Jesus ascended on ascension day, there was timing involved. The people waiting in expectation for Jesus' return now, might be examining the detail of His departure on that mount called Olivet.

I believe Jesus Himself was referring to this time in 27AD, early in His ministry, when he said that the "time" is fulfilled.

“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”​

I believe Jesus was talking about a specific time, the Daniel 9 time of 7 and 62 weeks, which was fulfilled, or completed, marking the start of that 70th heptad.

Ascension day was 40 days after the resurrection. It was in the middle of a heptad, a "week", that began in 27AD, 7 and 62 weeks from the Artaxerxes decree in 457BC to restore Jerusalem.

If the "1535" people are correct today, there is a secondary application of this timing in modern times, based on the two modern day decrees to restore Jerusalem.

Some future ascension day celebration may see this same Jesus return in like manner as the men of Galilee saw Him go.

But the second visitation reads different.

"they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, but on the day when Lot went out from Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from heaven and destroyed them all— so will it be on the day when the Son of Man is revealed.​

So the "like manner" in Acts is probably speaking to the timing.

But I'm working on it.

But there was a timeline.
Where is the timeline for when Jesus will return there? Jesus him said of that day the angels did not know.
I'm asking the question too.

For three years.
I am not sure what "for three years" means in your answer. Can you please expand on that for me?
There was more to this than just the method that Jesus ascended on ascension day, there was timing involved. The people waiting in expectation for Jesus' return now, might be examining the detail of His departure on that mount called Olivet.

I believe Jesus Himself was referring to this time in 27AD, early in His ministry, when he said that the "time" is fulfilled.

“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”​

I believe Jesus was talking about a specific time, the Daniel 9 time of 7 and 62 weeks, which was fulfilled, or completed, marking the start of that 70th heptad.

Ascension day was 40 days after the resurrection. It was in the middle of a heptad, a "week", that began in 27AD, 7 and 62 weeks from the Artaxerxes decree in 457BC to restore Jerusalem.

If the "1535" people are correct today, there is a secondary application of this timing in modern times, based on the two modern day decrees to restore Jerusalem.

Some future ascension day celebration may see this same Jesus return in like manner as the men of Galilee saw Him go.

But the second visitation reads different.

"they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, but on the day when Lot went out from Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from heaven and destroyed them all— so will it be on the day when the Son of Man is revealed.​

So the "like manner" in Acts is probably speaking to the timing.

But I'm working on it.
Yes, I agree that the 7th heptad from Daniel's vision was at this time. And I agree that the second coming is different than the first which was as a baby so that is easy to defend.

My thread is obviously poking at those who believe that the description in Revelation about the Son of man coming with an army to wipe out some people is the second coming. Those who descriptions do not match in scripture.

Thanks for the input.

Because we are always suppose to be ready for His return . :pray
Yes I agree although logically how he returns is not connected with being ready. But this brings up a different point that I have always wanted to discuss in any case. How exactly do you see us as making ourselves ready? I have heard this my whole life and I wanted to ask those who say what one is to do. I have an idea but would be interested in your thoughts.

Where is the timeline for when Jesus will return there?
They were in it. They were in the middle of the week, calculated back to the Artaxerxes decree in 457BC, and confirmed by the Passover count of 30AD.
Jesus himself said of that day the angels did not know.
Then He says "for as in the days BEFORE the flood". It can sound like He's not talking about the actual day of the second coming, but of the day and hour when the serious end time events begin. People eating and drinking unaware until the day that the flood came and took them all away. And they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, (but on the day that it began they still had 40 days until the end), so will it be like this at the coming of the Son of Man?
I am not sure what "for three years" means in your answer. Can you please expand on that for me?
Not to worry. It's my 3 years. I'm looking at Acts 1:11 since 2019.
Yes, I agree that the (70th) heptad from Daniel's vision was at this time.
That's the timeline they were in. 40 days after resurrection Sunday. Jesus will return in like manner?
And I agree that the second coming is different than the first which was as a baby so that is easy to defend.
That's what I think too. So the men clothed in white raiment were probably not talking about the manner and style of His next visitation, but hinting at the timing of it. I don't think the angels were talking about Zechariah 14:4.
My thread is obviously poking at those who believe that the description in Revelation about the Son of man coming with an army to wipe out some people is the second coming. Those who descriptions do not match in scripture.
I know. You want to argue with the futurists. You wern't expecting to have to deal with two modern day decrees to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem.

So I won't trouble your thread with them before the time.
Thanks for the input.

You're welcome.

They were in it. They were in the middle of the week, calculated back to the Artaxerxes decree in 457BC, and confirmed by the Passover count of 30AD.
Did they say they knew that?
Then He says "for as in the days BEFORE the flood". It can sound like He's not talking about the actual day of the second coming, but of the day and hour when the serious end time events begin. People eating and drinking unaware until the day that the flood came and took them all away. And they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, (but on the day that it began they still had 40 days until the end), so will it be like this at the coming of the Son of Man?
Since there were and will be no signs whatsoever, one cannot start counting. One has no staring point.
Not to worry. It's my 3 years. I'm looking at Acts 1:11 since 2019.

That's the timeline they were in. 40 days after resurrection Sunday. Jesus will return in like manner?
He didn’t return on Pentecost.
That's what I think too. So the men clothed in white raiment were probably not talking about the manner and style of His next visitation, but hinting at the timing of it. I don't think the angels were talking about Zechariah 14:4.
But the angel said “the manner” in those words. No timeline was even hinted at.
I know. You want to argue with the futurists.
Incorrect. I do not like to
argue at all. Please stick to
the discussion not attack the character of the person. (It shows you’re losing as well as other things.)
You wern't expecting to have to deal with two modern day decrees to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem.
Jerusalem was restored centuries ago so to what are you referring?
So I won't trouble your thread with them before the time.

You're welcome.
You are free to do as you please.

“Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.” Acts 1:11

In all these discussions this verse suddenly came to mind. If we read the whole passage, his response to the disciples who are simply riveted there staring at the clouds doesn’t make sense at first. He (sorry woke people but all angels are male) asked them why they were standing there staring. Fair enough! More or less it’s time to move on.

But then he says the quote above which doesn’t speak to them about their own situation and lives. No timeline is mentioned. Why does he say this?

I’m continually amazed at how the Lord inserts statements into the Bible seemingly designed to counter false teaching that would come up millennia later. This is not picture language in metaphors or types. The angel clearly describes his return. No horses. No accompanying army. No weapons. In fact, alone. Totally peaceful. And he does NOT say “coming in the clouds” as that’s an OT expression that has one particular meaning (judgement on a nation.)

Act 1:9 And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight.
Act 1:10 And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes,
Act 1:11 and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” (ESV)

First, that he "will come in the same way" doesn't mean that he will come alone with "no accompanying army" and "totally peaceful." Secondly, you are not being consistent in applying your criteria. You argue on the one hand, based on verse 11, that he will come alone with no army, peacefully. You then argue that 'he does NOT say "coming in the clouds",' which is "an OT expression" meaning "judgement on a nation." Yet, on the other hand, you don't take into account what is mentioned in verse 9, that "a cloud took him out of their sight." This could very well mean that Jesus will return by "coming in the clouds."

Thirdly, the argument could be made that since the angel was talking to believers, for believers Jesus's return will be peaceful. However, that is certainly not how it will be for unbelievers, as he will come in judgement. Fourthly, Rev 19:11-21 strongly suggests that Jesus will come with an army to wage war against the armies of man which are lead by the beast.

Act 1:9 And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight.
Act 1:10 And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes,
Act 1:11 and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” (ESV)

First, that he "will come in the same way" doesn't mean that he will come alone with "no accompanying army" and "totally peaceful."
Yes it does. If he says "comes in the same manner" is means comes in the same manner not totally different. It is a particularly interesting phrasing.
Secondly, you are not being consistent in applying your criteria. You argue on the one hand, based on verse 11, that he will come alone with no army, peacefully. You then argue that 'he does NOT say "coming in the clouds",' which is "an OT expression" meaning "judgement on a nation."
You are not understanding what I am saying. The angel purposes did not say "coming in the clouds" as that means judgement. He said "will come in the same way as you saw him go" purposely avoiding that phrase. So I am totally consistent. What you miss is what I said regarding what the angel exactly said. He avoided the phrase that means something besides the mode of transportation.
Yet, on the other hand, you don't take into account what is mentioned in verse 9, that "a cloud took him out of their sight." This could very well mean that Jesus will return by "coming in the clouds."
The angel did not say those words as that means something else. He might appear alone and peaceful as he ascended but no one from Heaven will say he is "coming in the clouds" as those words means something else. Do you get it now?
Thirdly, the argument could be made that since the angel was talking to believers, for believers Jesus's return will be peaceful. However, that is certainly not how it will be for unbelievers, as he will come in judgement. Fourthly, Rev 19:11-21 strongly suggests that Jesus will come with an army to wage war against the armies of man which are lead by the beast.
Rev 19:11-21 was Jesus "coming in the clouds" and it happened in 70AD when he judged Israel laying the guilt of all the slain prophets from Abel to Zach on that generation as he said he would. Jesus did not bodily come but those words mean final judgement and destruction, which happened as Jesus said it would. Jesus told those prosecuting him that they personally would see him coming in the clouds and they knew what that meant. He was coming to get them personally, not their ancestry 2 millennia later.

Now you do not have to believe as I do, you know. But it would be good if you understood what it is you do not believe. That is all I ask. Just understand what it is you do not believe. I understand your position thoroughly although I have an unfair advantage, I admit.

Did they say they knew that?
No. It's one of those things that goes without saying. If you know it and I know it, the two angels knew it for sure. The disciples knew it. The three wise men knew it. Even the scribes and the pharisees knew it. They sent people down to talk to John the Baptist in 27AD. Jesus ascended in the middle of that final week.
Since there were and will be no signs whatsoever, one cannot start counting. One has no staring point.
Not yet. The Passover count comes once a year.
He didn’t return on Pentecost.
Not last year. Maybe this year, or the next. I would be on alert for ascention day.
But the angel said “the manner” in those words. No timeline was even hinted at.
'In like manner" are the Greek phrase hon tropon. It's only used 4 times in the NT. Looking at the other examples of it's use it becomes clear that this phrase does not mean: “exactly the same in every detail,” but has the idea of: “similar in some fashion.” The first time it's used in Matthew is where Jesus says He would have "gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings.

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!​

I don't think Jesus would have literally gathered all the Old Time Jews under His wings anymore so than He's going to silently float down from the clouds as the men of Galilee saw Him go.

So I would be looking at the timing as the manner in which He was taken from the world.
Incorrect. I do not like to
argue at all. Please stick to
the discussion not attack the character of the person. (It shows you’re losing as well as other things.)
ar·gue

1.give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.​

Like how a lawyer argues a case in court?

As you prepare for trial you will be preparing your arguments and what you will be saying in court.​
Jerusalem was restored centuries ago so to what are you referring?
It makes no difference. It's not the capture of Jerusalem, or the restoration of Jerusalem. It's just the decree itself that starts the countdown. The going forth of the command to restore Jerusalem, starts the countdown of 7 and 62 weeks. Then, as Jesus said early in Mark: "the TIME is fulfilled. Those same time intervals have been completed again with modern day decrees.

Some think the middle of the 70th week was in the first century, some think it's now or in the future. I think it's both. I think we're in the timeline again. There's two 70th weeks, one for the first coming, one for the second coming. There's a primary and secondary application. This is the issue Isaac Newton was suggesting in his Daniel 9 commentary. So it might be possible for this same Jesus to return in the similar timing, as the men of Galilee had seen Him go.

73e399bf-0001-0005-0000-000001419133_w400_r0.6666666666666666_fpx50_fpy33.34.jpg

The incorporation of the Company for Development of the Jewish Quarter of the Old City (September 1968). This is the organization which rebuilt the Jewish Quarter of the Old City, and turned it from a pile of rubble into a modern residential neighbourhood in one of the worlds' oldest cities, even while preserving the immense archaeological site it is built on, and serving millions of tourists annually.

This amounted to what would be a public works project. Why would the office of the Prime Minster be concerned of such a thing. Levi Eshkol was certain to have known about the Suleiman decree of 1535, the walls from that command are still standing today, and so Levi would also have know that his decree was happening at exactly 62 weeks (434 years) latter.

The second thing we're gong to do is point out that we found the document in a file from the office of Prime Minster Levi Eshkol, and it was sent to him after a discussion in the Cabinet subcommittee for economic affairs - which indicates that the whole issue was being closely watched by the very top of the government. Most companies don't have the prime minister poking around in their papers.

Israel's Documented Story: Incorporation Papers of the Jewish Quarter Company

And in January 1969 the Company was established.

aUfrRz0.jpg

Levi Eshkol passed away in Feburary, a month after his decree went live.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B45...QkU/edit?resourcekey=0-4BV-2YonkdeJN9AJ04K-ng

So like at the primary application of weeks, where the main event happened in the midst of the week, it's likely happening right now.

This is our modern day equivalent to the 457BC Artaxerxes decree:

1280px-Jerusalem%2C_city_wall.jpg

The cries from these stones are reaching their crescendo now.

You are free to do as you please.
Thanks.

Yes I agree although logically how he returns is not connected with being ready. But this brings up a different point that I have always wanted to discuss in any case. How exactly do you see us as making ourselves ready? I have heard this my whole life and I wanted to ask those who say what one is to do. I have an idea but would be interested in your thoughts.
1. We should pray. My favorite place to pray is in my front yard at night, no lights on under the stars . Where do you like to pray Dorothy Mae ?

2. Read and study God's word .

3. Repent and turn away from sin .
Rev3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

4. Share your faith . Watch how their faith is shared in this video :) .

1. We should pray. My favorite place to pray is in my front yard at night, no lights on under the stars . Where do you like to pray Dorothy Mae ?

2. Read and study God's word .

3. Repent and turn away from sin .
Rev3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

4. Share your faith . Watch how their faith is shared in this video :) .
OK, thanks. Yes I agree although this pretty much describes what we do as believers in any case, right?

I don't have a favorite place to pray although at home is more often than elsewhere if I am praying for others. Merely talking to God happens everywhere.

OK, thanks. Yes I agree although this pretty much describes what we do as believers in any case, right?
Exactly ! I was thinking that before I started my response to you .
I don't have a favorite place to pray although at home is more often than elsewhere if I am praying for others. Merely talking to God happens everywhere.
Everywhere, yes I find myself at times the only word I get out is "Jesus!" while squeezing the steering wheel tightly . Crazy drivers :squint .

Exactly ! I was thinking that before I started my response to you .

Everywhere, yes I find myself at times the only word I get out is "Jesus!" while squeezing the steering wheel tightly . Crazy drivers :squint .
I can believe that.

You know, I read a bit further in the scripture on this being prepared and it seems that Jesus talked about how we behave towards others. You know, the bit about the servant thinking the master is delayed and treats fellow servants badly thinking there is time to make it right later? So it is likely that a part of being ready is doing the Master's will in our dealings with others as well as those things you mentioned.

Yes it does. If he says "comes in the same manner" is means comes in the same manner not totally different. It is a particularly interesting phrasing.
Or, it just means that he will come in the clouds, in judgement. Or, it just means that he will come that way for believers.

You are not understanding what I am saying. The angel purposes did not say "coming in the clouds" as that means judgement. He said "will come in the same way as you saw him go" purposely avoiding that phrase. So I am totally consistent. What you miss is what I said regarding what the angel exactly said. He avoided the phrase that means something besides the mode of transportation.

The angel did not say those words as that means something else. He might appear alone and peaceful as he ascended but no one from Heaven will say he is "coming in the clouds" as those words means something else. Do you get it now?
Why would the angel have to mention that he would come in the clouds for Jesus to have to come back in the clouds? "This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven." The description was already given that "a cloud took him out of their sight," so there is no need to mention clouds again.

Rev 19:11-21 was Jesus "coming in the clouds" and it happened in 70AD when he judged Israel laying the guilt of all the slain prophets from Abel to Zach on that generation as he said he would. Jesus did not bodily come but those words mean final judgement and destruction, which happened as Jesus said it would. Jesus told those prosecuting him that they personally would see him coming in the clouds and they knew what that meant. He was coming to get them personally, not their ancestry 2 millennia later.
This would suggest then that no one can know anything about Revelation. If such a description in Rev 19 can be totally made into something spiritual and not nearly as significant an event, then we can pretty much make Revelation say what we want, which is often what happens.

Now you do not have to believe as I do, you know. But it would be good if you understood what it is you do not believe. That is all I ask. Just understand what it is you do not believe. I understand your position thoroughly although I have an unfair advantage, I admit.
Be careful of pride.

Or, it just means that he will come in the clouds, in judgement. Or, it just means that he will come that way for believers.
The angel did not say he is coming in judgement and did not use that expression for that coming. However, if the Resurrection occurs at that time, then judgement will also occur so that is correct.
Why would the angel have to mention that he would come in the clouds for Jesus to have to come back in the clouds? "This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven." The description was already given that "a cloud took him out of their sight," so there is no need to mention clouds again.
Well, you can ask that question but the Angel did say that and so he would have to answer why except for the obvious which is that is the same manner as he will come again. As he left so he will return. That was the point.
This would suggest then that no one can know anything about Revelation. If such a description in Rev 19 can be totally made into something spiritual and not nearly as significant an event, then we can pretty much make Revelation say what we want, which is often what happens.
I do not follow that argument. Revelation was written so that the recipients would understand and we can presume they did. The matters being described in Revelation and Matthew 24 happened in real time and space to real people and things. It was not particularly spiritual nor did I say it was. The Biblical expression "coming in the clouds" means God's judgement on a nation to wipe it out. And he did so to different nations when they got bad enough.
Be careful of pride.
You are saying that because I understand your position? It is a fact that I do because I believed it for many years. I know the arguments. This is not a matter of pride, it is a fact. I would that you could understand my position.

Your understanding then seems to be that there will be just small gathering of people to see Him when He returns , and that the vast majority of the world will not even know He has returned ?
Is that correct ?

Your understanding then seems to be that there will be just small gathering of people to see Him when He returns , and that the vast majority of the world will not even know He has returned ?
Is that correct ?
No, that is not correct but I do thank you for asking. I appreciate your kindness and your words reflect the Holy Spirit in you. You ask for clarity as you’d like to be asked. You and I have disagreed and so I am doubly impressed. Few here could have spoken with such respect.

The angel described only the manner of his return and so we cannot comment on the place or people receiving Him or observing Him be they few or many.

If I would guess, I would suspect that while they’ll be no signs for the crowds, those who hear his voice and have a record of obedience might be tuned in. There were those who knew the baby was the Messiah but they made no money from that information nor did they start a ministry and gather devoted followers. Wise men KNEWthe time was ripe but they didn’t tell the world either. Will there be few, I sincerely doubt it but I won’t be among them. I’ll be pushing up daisies long before that day.

Hi Dorothy Mae
Revelation was written so that the recipients would understand and we can presume they did.
I'm curious why you would think that.

As to Jesus returning with an army:

And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.

And I saw the beast, the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army.

So, there is obviously Scriptural reference to Jesus returning at some point with his heavenly army. When does this take place?

God bless,
Ted

Hi Dorothy Mae

I'm curious why you would think that.
1The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servantsa the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,

Because he says that’s the reason.

As to Jesus returning with an army:

And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.

And I saw the beast, the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army.
That’s is a metaphor. Of course the kings of the earth have no time to muster an army coming like lightening from the sky. And what weapons could they use. It’s not literally in the sense that this is what an observer would see. But it’s real in the sense His judgement fell in those who pierced him.
So, there is obviously Scriptural reference to Jesus returning at some point with his heavenly army. When does this take place?
It already did. He came in judgement and wiped out the Mosaic covenant and those who saw to his unjust crucifixion were severely punished.
God bless,
Ted

You too. If Jesus is to eliminate the wicked by killing them only once in human history, why do you think no more will spring up? Or will he continue to kill those who do evil down through the millennia from that point onwards? Do wrong a d you’re instantly dead by the tyrannical government?

Back