Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

An old newbie

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Runner

I was here as Runner several years ago, in the era of Reba, Willie T., Pizza, Jethro Bodine, Ozpen and others. As I remember, I was pretty unpopular, which is par for the course in my experience. I "self-banned" for some reason that I don't even recall. I discovered that the Runner name was still available, so I claimed it again - although, at my age (72) Walker might be more appropriate. "Running,: to use the term loosely, is now more like a 10:45 mile.

I'm a retired lawyer and have been a Christian since a fairly startling born-again experience 50+ years ago, although I increasingly find myself questioning and doubting whether what passes for Christianity has much of anything to do with anything Jesus was talking about or had in mind.

I was here as Runner several years ago, in the era of Reba, Willie T., Pizza, Jethro Bodine, Ozpen and others. As I remember, I was pretty unpopular, which is par for the course in my experience. I "self-banned" for some reason that I don't even recall. I discovered that the Runner name was still available, so I claimed it again - although, at my age (72) Walker might be more appropriate. "Running,: to use the term loosely, is now more like a 10:45 mile.

I'm a retired lawyer and have been a Christian since a fairly startling born-again experience 50+ years ago, although I increasingly find myself questioning and doubting whether what passes for Christianity has much of anything to do with anything Jesus was talking about or had in mind.

We can be old and new together.

Why were you unpopular? oops... nevermind. Leading the witness. It was the lawyer thing, right?

We can be old and new together.

Why were you unpopular? oops... nevermind. Leading the witness. It was the lawyer thing, right?
I believe a great deal of "being a Christian" on forums such as this is posturing, posing and pretending. I've spent a great deal of time in theological study and reflection and don't hide my sometimes iconoclastic views. So I get a lot of "I don't think you're really a Christian at all." I'm also somewhat snarky and argumentative by nature, which is par for the course in the legal profession but less welcome at places such as this (so I'm trying to rein it in).

I too am an old Newbie (72). I am a Conservative Christian, retired Engineer and gun enthusiast. I remember Reba and Willie T. I used a different Name that I don't remember.

I too am an old Newbie (72). I am a Conservative Christian, retired Engineer and gun enthusiast.
I guess I'm an old newbie in two senses - age and the fact that this version of Runner is the reincarnation of a previous version of Runner! I used to be a gun enthusiast when I lived on my father-in-law's ranch, to the extent of having a reloading setup in the spare bedroom. Now I do all my shoot (considerably less accurately) with my golf clubs.

A doctor, a lawyer and an engineer joined a forum the same day.

The engineer says-- "I didn't know there was such a thing as a Christian lawyer."

The lawyer snaps back- "If anyone needs saving it's engineers! Do you know how many lawsuits I've handled on behalf of people killed or injured by mistakes made by engineers?"

I guess I'm an old newbie in two senses - age and the fact that this version of Runner is the reincarnation of a previous version of Runner! I used to be a gun enthusiast when I lived on my father-in-law's ranch, to the extent of having a reloading setup in the spare bedroom. Now I do all my shoot (considerably less accurately) with my golf clubs.
Arthritis has ended my golf career. I had a single digit handicap when I quit. I decided to concentrate on God, my wife, my dogs, computers, guns, Photography and Science (all fields). The engineer in me hasn't retired. I study God's Word and look to it for guidance.

Sorry- got to get used to this format.....

What about the doctor? I'm not a doctor. That was a joke.

A doctor, a lawyer and an engineer joined a forum the same day.

The engineer says-- "I didn't know there was such a thing as a Christian lawyer."

The lawyer snaps back- "If anyone needs saving it's engineers! Do you know how many lawsuits I've handled on behalf of people killed or injured by mistakes made by engineers?"
Engineers have to walk a fine line in their decisions. Being a Christian is essential to being a good engineer.

Being a Christian is essential to being a good engineer.
Nonsense.

I worked for many years - in automotive, and other branches, of manufacturing - alongside many excellent engineers, most of whom were not religious at all. I have a very high regard for that profession; and a great deal of respect for the invaluable work these folk do.

Engineers, hah.

Let's build a car ,where in order to replace the alternator,you got to discharge and recharge the ac,remove the fan shroud .

Engineers, hah.

Let's build a car ,where in order to replace the alternator,you got to discharge and recharge the ac,remove the fan shroud .
Come on, be reasonable. It's a Christian charity to create work for folk to do, so that they can earn cash to house and feed their families. The car making engineers are merely providing for their maintenance colleagues. :cool2

Last edited:
Welcome back Runner , I do remember you. At that time in my life I was running half marathons and 5k’s on a weekly basis.

Things have changed since you’ve last visited. (Please review our community message, it’s what Our community has been striving for).

I’ve also created several forums called safe zones where those forums are managed solely by their overseer, who is pro subject for those topics.

Welcome back Runner , I do remember you. At that time in my life I was running half marathons and 5k’s on a weekly basis.

Things have changed since you’ve last visited. (Please review our community message, it’s what Our community has been striving for).

I’ve also created several forums called safe zones where those forums are managed solely by their overseer, who is pro subject for those topics.
Mmmm......only half- marathons? :nono

Mmmm......only half- marathons? :nono
Ditto for me. A half-marathon is the perfect distance. You don't almost kill yourself and throw up after you finish as with a 5K or 10K, but you also don't have to let your training become the main focus in your life as with a marathon.

Ha! Yup. I didn’t know it then, but I have a birth defect in my hip. I’ve never made it past 18 miles and my hip would give out.
Ahh. Sorry about that, Jeff. The furthest I've ever run was about 5 miles. This was during basic training in the Royal Air Force. Would never make a track athlete.....far too lazy.

Having said that, at 76 I'm still working, and we have a gym. About two years ago, I asked three of my fellow senior leaders (we don't use the word 'manager') to insist that I use the gym every day, and that I change my diet. I respect them too much refuse. They laughed at me. That Friday evening, one of them - a fitness trainer - sent me a text message. It said: 'Sorry I laughed at you. I expect you in the gym at 6.30am Monday!' Been gyming ever since. Lost 3 stone, and feel a whole lot better. But I'll never make a runner!

Come on, be reasonable. It's a Christian charity to create work for folk to do, so that they can earn cash to house and feed their families. The car making engineers are merely providing for their maintenance colleagues. :cool2
Unless you have to pay for that .

Back