Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

....and the truth will set you free.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
In a recent discussion, I was reminded of long ago when I was told that this verse in John is referring to knowing the Gospel. The person I was discussion this thought this "truth" was Jesus himself although I have not figured out what she means exactly.

And maybe I believed that at the time as well. I was only 16. But now after having walked with the Lord these 50 years, that is no longer my view. First, let us look at the scripture itself:

So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33They answered him, “We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?” 34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slaveb to sin.35The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37I know that you are offspring of Abraham; yet you seek to kill me because my word finds no place in you. 38I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father.”

So let us look at this. In the first phrase, we see the people he is talking to, that is, his audience. Is he talking to unbelievers? No, he is specially talking ONLY TO THOSE who already believed in him. He is telling believers this. So this abiding in his word, being truly his disciples (remember already saved people) brings about knowing the truth. Now the position I had believed was that this "truth" is the gospel. But that cannot be his meaning because he is talking to those who already believe. So what is this truth?

Is it merely information? We have already established it is NOT the gospel as they already know that (his audience.) Now is this freedom from sin? Yes to some degree but none of can truthfully say that we no longer sin at all. (I am far from saying nonchalantly that we sin every day in thought, word and deed implying no big deal as it IS A BIG DEAL.) So what are we set from from?

Clearly being freed from the power of sin over one's life is certainly a freedom. How does this work? Does it mean sinlessness? Apart from a few who redefine what sin is in order to be able to claim being sinless, none of us think we are. But maybe it does not mean sinlessness. Let us think of those in the power of say alcoholism or addiction or anger or gluttony. They describe it as being out of their power to be free from. Jesus can set us free from the power sin has over our choices. There are many testimonies of those who turned to Jesus and experienced a freedom from a particular sin that had them. So this certainly is one of the freedoms which is why he gave the Jews who did not believe him an example. He who commits sin is or becomes a slave to that sin.

When Jesus offered this example, he was addressing non-believers. It seems to me what he did was select an example that was understandable to them. They were thinking slavery or not free in a different way ("sons of Abraham who were never slaves") but he gave them the example of a man caught in a behavior pattern that was sinful that he could not break out of. This they would have known so it was a clear example of one kind of freedom he gives. That is the appeal to non-believers. That is actually what the gospel is, God forgives us and set us free from the power of sin if we repent and believe.

But this is not what he was saying to those who believe, the ones he addresses in verse 32. It cannot be himself, as they already know that truth. Let's look at what one has to do to arrive that this freedom. One has to keep his teaching. What is that? Believe the Gospel? We already established that is not it. What can it be except that we DO what he teaches. We obey his teaching. He "keep" it in the same sense as we "keep" the law of say driving a motor vehicle. And I think this is what Jesus is saying to his believers. Do what he teaches and you will come to know the truth about yourself and others and why the world is the way it is.

I am fairly convinced about this because I can say something I could not say at 16. I have keep the teachings of Jesus for 50 years, although not perfectly but sufficiently apparently, such that I have been come to understand why people do what they do, why God does what he does as well as what He does and what He does not do and there is a tremendous freedom in that. What am I free from?

There is a freedom from the fear of having my whole thinking crumble, that is, that I am shown that I have been deceived my whole life. When one tests the word of God, that is, one DOES what the Bible says in ones interactions with people, one comes to understand and that brings freedom. One is not surprised by what people are capable of doing and one is not afraid of new input that brings down the house of one's world view.

The difference is striking when one encounters believers (or atheists) who are faced with input that does not match with their world view. They lash out in anger as being told something they do not want to be true. They shoot the messenger. Now I can imagine that this fear of being found out to be wrong binds you. You are not free. They are certainly not free to learn or even listen to contrary views. For example, I have been listening to clips and interviews from people who left the faith to see if I can find out where they went wrong. There wasn't the least fear that their reasons would persuade me because I KNOW that I KNOW that they are dead wrong. How do I know this? Because of stubbornness? No, that closes the mind. I know because in over 50 years I have tested the teachings of Jesus by doing them and have come to an understanding, like the wise man who build his house upon the rock of keeping Jesus' teaching, that what Jesus taught is rock solid truth. I am free to explore why people left the faith and there are lots of and lots of them. Why they left is a the subject for another time, but I did find out where they went wrong in their thinking.

So this freedom he speaks of comes from know this truth. Not the truth about Jesus as every true disciple knows that at the start. You come to know the truth about God, his ways, man, his ways, and why things are they way they are and what can be done about it and what cannot be done about it. And there is a confidence and freedom that comes with that understanding.

One closing Scripture, Deut 4:8 tells us that God sees the laws he is giving that ancient nation of Israel as good and wise compared with the nations around them.

See, I have taught you statutes and rules, as the LORD my God commanded me, that you should do them in the land that you are entering to take possession of it. 6Keep them and do them, for that will be your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.’

Do as God teaches us, a choice we as followers of Christ can make, and wisdom and understanding will be ours such that we will enjoy a freedom others bound in their own teachings will never enjoy.

(all scripture from ESV)

" No, he is specially talking ONLY TO THOSE who already believed in him. He is telling believers this. So this abiding in his word, being truly his disciples (remember already saved people) brings about knowing the truth. Now the position I had believed was that this "truth" is the gospel. But that cannot be his meaning because he is talking to those who already believe. So what is this truth?"

The truth is, the men of Israel ( Pharisees included in this chapter of John 8.) and the world, were being spoken the things of the Father, and the world knew Him not/ they understood not that He spoke to them of the Father.

John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

John 8:26 I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.
27 They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.

The Messiah came unto HIs own ( to Israel) and Israel received Him not.

But to as many who received Him, ( the Gentiles) He gave power to become the sons of God, even to those who believe on His name, being born not of blood nor of the will of flesh/man, but of God. ( born of God/to be set free from sin. 1 John 5:18.)

John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Is Israel in John 8, still going to receive Him, was the world and specifically the men of Israel going to know Him ?

For a moment it appears they would, yet Jesus informs them, they required to continue in HIs word, to know the truth, to be set free.

Jesus again tells the men of Israel, He speaks that which He has seen of the Father, and the men of Israel do what they have seen with theirs ( the devil. John 8:44.)

John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him.
31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

John 8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.

Again it is pointed out by Jesus, that the men of Israel cannot hear the word of the Son of the Father.

They abide not in the truth as they are of ( abide in) their father the devil, who never abode in the truth, because there is no truth in him, ( nor truth in those who abide, in the father of lies devil.)

Because Jesus tells the men of Israel the truth, that is exactly why they do not believe Him. ( before Jesus told about the truth to set them free, they were believing.)

Jesus is telling truly, without sin, the men of Israel in sin ( unbelief of Jesus) cannot show why they do not believe in Jesus.

Jesus tells them again if they were of God, they hear Gods words, they hear them not, as He already told them, because they are not of God. ( the truth is all what Jesus reveals of the Father.)

John 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Freed from sin, in thought word and deed ?

Thought:

2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Word:

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Deed:

James 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Sin clearly is not believing in Jesus.

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Why would sin be classified as anything other than what Jesus has testified, it is.

" No, he is specially talking ONLY TO THOSE who already believed in him. He is telling believers this. So this abiding in his word, being truly his disciples (remember already saved people) brings about knowing the truth. Now the position I had believed was that this "truth" is the gospel. But that cannot be his meaning because he is talking to those who already believe. So what is this truth?"

The truth is, the men of Israel ( Pharisees included in this chapter of John 8.) and the world, were being spoken the things of the Father, and the world knew Him not/ they understood not that He spoke to them of the Father.
No, the truth he was talking to the Jews who believed in him. That is what the scripture says. We can believe this and adjust our thinking or we can reject this (truth) and keep our theology as is. What you quote is a different verse and um, does not apply to everyone because his disciples and many others knew Him and understood him to varying degrees. So that verse that you quote cannot apply to everyone anyway.
John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Again, those who believed in him knew him so those words do not apply to everyone.
John 8:26 I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.
27 They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.
At that point in time, true. Same as many christians do not completely understand what is spoke to them by the Father but some do.
The Messiah came unto HIs own ( to Israel) and Israel received Him not.
and yet the early church was completely Jewish for some time... obviously this does not apply to everyone
But to as many who received Him, ( the Gentiles) He gave power to become the sons of God, even to those who believe on His name, being born not of blood nor of the will of flesh/man, but of God. ( born of God/to be set free from sin. 1 John 5:18.)

John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Again, proves my point. Some believed and some did not. Pretty easy concept. Matches what we also experience in life.
Is Israel in John 8, still going to receive Him, was the world and specifically the men of Israel going to know Him ?

For a moment it appears they would, yet Jesus informs them, they required to continue in HIs word, to know the truth, to be set free.

John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him.
31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

John 8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.

Again it is pointed out by Jesus, that the men of Israel cannot hear the word of the Son of the Father.
That is not at all what he said. You just quoted "to as many as received him..." so there is no reason to think the men of Israel, including the disciples and the early church, cannot hear the word of the Son of the Father. The whole NT church was of Israel. Where are you getting the idea that the men of Israel (thanks for not including the women) CANNOT hear the word of the Son?
They abide not in the truth as they are of ( abide in) their father the devil, who never abode in the truth, because there is no truth in him, ( nor truth in those who abide, in the father of lies devil.)

Because Jesus tells the men of Israel the truth, that is exactly why they do not believe Him. ( before Jesus told about the truth to set them free, they were believing.)
In the first part it clearly says those Jews believed in Him. Why do you keep saying they don't? Obviously some did and some did not. Why is it necessary to say otherwise?

Little of this addresses my OP so can you please stick to the OP. The mod WIP is particular about this point.

Freed from sin, in thought word and deed ?

Thought:

2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Word:

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Deed:

James 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Yes the Bible tells us how to behave for sure. The question is how do people really live, not what does the Bible say they ought to do.

Sin clearly is not believing in Jesus.

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Why would sin be classified as anything other than what Jesus has testified, it is.
Do you think murder is a sin? Do you think stealing is a sin? Do you think lying about others is a sin? Do you think beating up other people is a sin? Do you think rape is a sin? Or do you think only not believing in Jesus is the only sin?

The truth about Jesus is the truth about God, Jesus testifies of the Father ( truth) and that brwaks people free from lies( the devil)

It is not a difficulty, it is a simplicity.

Jesus ( God) was in the world who knew Him not. His own received Him not ( Israel) Jesus testified to them ( but they received not) that He is the light of the world, and they will no longer be in darkness if they follow ( believe in ) Him.

To be set free ( from darkness) one of course has to believe in the light, but also the fulfilment is seen now in Acts 26, how Apostle Paul is sent by Jesus, ( who is risen from the dead/to set us free.) to the Gentiles, ( to as many as received Him to receive power to become Sons of God/born of God. John 1:12-13.)

To open their eyes, ( not of Israel but of the Gentiles.) and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. ( faith in the Son of God Jesus Christ.)

Israel it is told again, was blinded. ( Matthew 13:15. Romans 11:25.)

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

John 8:18 I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.

Acts 26:17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Do you think murder is a sin? Do you think stealing is a sin? Do you think lying about others is a sin? Do you think beating up other people is a sin? Do you think rape is a sin? Or do you think only not believing in Jesus is the only sin?
Everybody who does not believe in Jesus has no eternal life abiding in them, and when they do not love their brother they also are that murderer. ( they murdered Jesus through not believing in Him/hated Him without a cause. The world hates you now too.)

John 15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.
23 He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.
25 But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.

1 John 3:13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

The truth about Jesus is the truth about God, Jesus testifies of the Father ( truth) and that brwaks people free from lies( the devil)

It is not a difficulty, it is a simplicity.

Jesus ( God) was in the world who knew Him not. His own received Him not ( Israel) Jesus testified to them ( but they received not) that He is the light of the world, and they will no longer be in darkness if they follow ( believe in ) Him.

To be set free ( from darkness) one of course has to believe in the light, but also the fulfilment is seen now in Acts 26, how Apostle Paul is sent by Jesus, ( who is risen from the dead/to set us free.) to the Gentiles, ( to as many as received Him to receive power to become Sons of God/born of God. John 1:12-13.)

To open their eyes, ( not of Israel but of the Gentiles.) and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. ( faith in the Son of God Jesus Christ.)

Israel it is told again, was blinded. ( Matthew 13:15. Romans 11:25.)

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

John 8:18 I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.

Acts 26:17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
This is kind of what I mean by not being free. Instead of engaging in the topic, one sticks to what one believes and simply pastes a bunch of scriptures one has pasted many times before to starve off real discussion. And recites platitudes divorced from real life.

In the first part it clearly says those Jews believed in Him. Why do you keep saying they don't? Obviously some did and some did not. Why is it necessary to say otherwise?

Little of this addresses my OP so can you please stick to the OP. The mod WIP is particular about this point.
Yes many believe in Jesus but not believe enough to not also deny Him.

John 8 and John 12, have the same testimony, that Jesus is the light ( that the men of Israel in John 8 turned away from) and to believe in that light they believe on the Father, to no longer abide in darkness ( unbeief) and to come to the light. ( to Jesus)

John 12:42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:
43 For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

John 12:44 Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
45 And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

This is kind of what I mean by not being free. Instead of engaging in the topic, one sticks to what one believes and simply pastes a bunch of scriptures one has pasted many times before to starve off real discussion. And recites platitudes divorced from real life.
The same way as seen in John 8 and 12, that the men of Israel could not continue in the word of Jesus, ( they then are told to deny Him) is what Christians sadly do too, by believing in the other teachers. ( and not in Jesus Christ/the Spirit of truth only.

Here is more truth for people to be set free anyway.

The unbelieving ( the men of Israel in John 8 and 12.) deny Jesus ( it is testified an we see, they do not confess Him) profess they believe in God but deny in works. ( they continue in darkness to do works of darkness)

False teachers deny the Lord who bought them, with damnable heresies, many follow their subtil ways, who speak evil of the way if truth. ( of the light/the Father)

Jesus ( in Revelation) tells of the open door, ( the way to the Father/truth/light) to have a little strength( honesty/belief of the truth) to keep His word ( as Jesus said to those who believed IF, they continue in His word they would be set free and know the truth/know the Father.) which is then not denying His name.

Titus 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

Revelation 3:8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

Yes many believe in Jesus but not believe enough to not also deny Him.
How do you know their individual choices?
John 8 and John 12, have the same testimony, that Jesus is the light ( that the men of Israel in John 8 turned away from) and to believe in that light they believe on the Father, to no longer abide in darkness ( unbeief) and to come to the light. ( to Jesus)
The whole of the Jewish nation believed in the Father. That didn’t give them light. That have to DO his teachings to walk in the light.
John 12:42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:
Some yes. Doesn’t mean all. Later that changed.
43 For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

John 12:44 Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
45 And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
Yes, believing such that the choices change as a result is the point.

Thanks for engaging.

Instead of engaging in the topic, one sticks to what one believes and simply pastes a bunch of scriptures one has pasted many times before to starve off real discussion. And recites platitudes divorced from real life.

:)

Your premise in the OP is correct, Dorothy Mae. It is not about Jesus simply declaring people free by His grace, He stated implicitly that if they continued in His word, the truth would make them free, and in context it meant the truths He taught would fully deliver them from sin, not merely in word (or as a theological construct) but as a practical reality in their everyday lives.

I also think your application is valid, but let me give you a few examples of more specifically what I think He was talking about, and what kinds of teachings in His word would truly make them free.

The Sermon on the Mount is in large part a correction of the errors being taught by the Pharisees, which is why He told those listening early on, "Except your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees, you shall in no way inherit the kingdom of God." This is because their standards were lax, and they were making excuses for sin by finding ways to get around the law of God.

For instance, in Matthew 5:43-45 He taught them:

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

There is proof in the Dead Sea Scrolls that the saying in v.45 was taught by the Essenes, who were an elitist offshoot of the sect of the Pharisees. Jesus was saying here that this teaching made excuses for hatred in men's hearts, and in order to be truly free of sin, one needed to love His enemies, not hate them.

There are numerous other examples in the Sermon on the Mount alone, let alone throughout Christ's other teachings, that demonstrate His standards of right and wrong, sin and righteousness were much higher than that of the Pharisees, and anyone truly hoping to be made free from sin would need to abide by His teachings, not theirs.

One more thing to say, but give me a second... I'm cooking atm.

The same way as seen in John 8 and 12, that the men of Israel could not continue in the word of Jesus, ( they then are told to deny Him) is what Christians sadly do too, by believing in the other teachers. ( and not in Jesus Christ/the Spirit of truth only.
Where does this idea come from? The whole NT church was completely jewish for a long time. Those men of Israel did exactly what you claim none did.
Here is more truth for people to be set free anyway.

The unbelieving ( the men of Israel in John 8 and 12.) deny Jesus ( it is testified an we see, they do not confess Him) profess they believe in God but deny in works. ( they continue in darkness to do works of darkness)
Again, the truth is 1000s of men of Israel do not fit your description.
False teachers deny the Lord who bought them, with damnable heresies, many follow their subtil ways, who speak evil of the way if truth. ( of the light/the Father)
Not relevant to the discussion
Jesus ( in Revelation) tells of the open door, ( the way to the Father/truth/light) to have a little strength( honesty/belief of the truth) to keep His word ( as Jesus said to those who believed IF, they continue in His word they would be set free and know the truth/know the Father.) which is then not denying His name.
“In his word” means “obey him.”
Titus 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.
Yes, mouth confesses but obedience is totally missing. They don’t keep his word.
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

Revelation 3:8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
Not relevant to the discussion.

Thanks for thinking with me.

:)

Your premise in the OP is correct, Dorothy Mae. It is not about Jesus simply declaring people free by His grace, He stated implicitly that if they continued in His word, the truth would make them free, and in context it meant the truths He taught would fully deliver them from sin, not merely in word (or as a theological construct) but as a practical reality in their everyday lives.

I also think your application is valid, but let me give you a few examples of more specifically what I think He was talking about, and what kinds of teachings in His word would truly make them free.

The Sermon on the Mount is in large part a correction of the errors being taught by the Pharisees, which is why He told those listening early on, "Except your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees, you shall in no way inherit the kingdom of God." This is because their standards were lax, and they were making excuses for sin by finding ways to get around the law of God.

For instance, in Matthew 5:43-45 He taught them:

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

There is proof in the Dead Sea Scrolls that the saying in v.45 was taught by the Essenes, who were an elitist offshoot of the sect of the Pharisees. Jesus was saying here that this teaching made excuses for hatred in men's hearts, and in order to be truly free of sin, one needed to love His enemies, not hate them.

There are numerous other examples in the Sermon on the Mount alone, let alone throughout Christ's other teachings, that demonstrate His standards of right and wrong, sin and righteousness were much higher than that of the Pharisees, and anyone truly hoping to be made free from sin would need to abide by His teachings, not theirs.

One more thing to say, but give me a second... I'm cooking atm.
Very nice. Yes I totally agree. You’ve expanded the point with valid examples and details. I, too, will be busy for the hour but let me say

Bon Appetite!!

if they continued in His word, the truth would make them free, and in context it meant the truths He taught would fully deliver them from sin, not merely in word (or as a theological construct) but as a practical reality in their everyday lives.

On a last note, the above is not to say that full deliverance from sin will necessarily happen overnight. For many, it is part of "working out our salvation with fear and trembling." Jesus also taught getting angry with one's brother in the same teaching (v.21-22), and I have spent many years trying to work that out of my system, though I am slowly getting better. But that's the point. When we receive Christ's standards of true righteousness, we don't stop short of simply resisting the urge to murder others. We carry it out to the place where we would never desire to.

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of Hell fire.

On a last note, the above is not to say that full deliverance from sin will necessarily happen overnight. For many, it is part of "working out our salvation with fear and trembling." Jesus also taught getting angry with one's brother in the same teaching (v.21-22), and I have spent many years trying to work that out of my system, though I am slowly getting better. But that's the point. When we receive Christ's standards of true righteousness, we don't stop short of simply resisting the urge to murder others. We carry it out to the place where we would never desire to.

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of Hell fire.
Working out salvation with fear and trembling is to happen immediately, not for time to continue while you tremble.

Believing in the testimony of Christ which you just quoted, is working out whether you beieve in it or do not believe.

Saved with fear, pulled out of the fire, not slowly, not over time, but right away and as soon as anyone realises they are in fire.

Jude 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Hebrews 12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:
26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.
27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.
28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
29 For our God is a consuming fire.

The whole of the Jewish nation believed in the Father. That didn’t give them light. That have to DO his teachings to walk in the light.
They being blinded not seeing, did not believe. ( they fell by unbelief)

Isaiah 29:10 For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.

John 12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

Romans 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

Hebrews 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Blindness/not seeing, is not believing.

We have to believe in the light, to be the children of light. ( to have light/sight)

John 12:36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.

Back