Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Anointed Preaching/Teaching

SolaScriptura

2024 Supporter
I am of the opinion, that certain Bible teachers and preachers, have an “anointing” from God the Holy Spirit, so that the message that we hear, has a profound conviction and impact upon us. Two such ministers of the Gospel come to mind, Aiden Wilson Tozer, and American, and Martyn Lloyd Jones, from England. When I hear them preach/teach, it feels like the Lord is speaking to me through these men, and I am greatly encouraged, challenged and blessed.

In his First Letter, the Apostle John says, “But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you have knowledge” (2:20).

In his First Letter to the Church at Corinth, the Apostle Paul says, “And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power” (2:4)

These verses, and others, confirm that the Holy Spirit does indeed gives the power to some godly men when they declare the Counsel of the Lord.

What happens when a preacher/teacher of the Bible, falls from grace through gross sin, as has happened to quite a few over the past months/years? The latest very sad and disturbing example, is a man who I found to be a solid man of God with some deep preaching, Steve Lawson. It deeply saddens me, that the devil has gotten to this dear brother, and has caused him to fall. I do earnestly pray that he truly repents, and the Lord restores him.

Steve Lawson had some relationship with a very young woman, which lasted for about 5 years. What I find interesting and also scary, is the fact, that during this time, he was able to keep on preaching, even though he was living a life of sin and disobedience to the Lord and His Word. His preaching/teaching did not change, he did not show any less conviction in what he preached and taught.

The same Bible that speaks of preachers/teachers having an “anointing” from the Holy Spirit, also warns, that, “If I had not confessed the sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened” (Psalm 66:18. NLT). Or, as the Amplified Bible has it, “If I regard sin and baseness in my heart [that is, if I know it is there and do nothing about it], The Lord will not hear [me]”.

This verse, and others, is a clear warning of the Lord not “hearing”, or “blessing” those who are sinful, or living in their sins. I understand this to mean, that any “anointing” that the preacher/teacher might have had, is forfeited by their unconfessed, life of sin.

The words of Tozer I read over 40 years ago, comes to mind:

“If the Holy Spirit was withdrawn from the church today, 95 percent of what we do would go on and no one would know the difference. If the Holy Spirit had been withdrawn from the New Testament church, 95 percent of what they did would stop, and everybody would know the difference.”

A person who is gifted in speaking, can continue as though they still have the “anointing” of the Holy Spirit, though their words are from themselves!

Back