Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Another Gospel?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Paul wrote to the Galatians, "I marvel that you are soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another Gospel: which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the Gospel of Christ. But though we or an angel from heaven, preach any other Gospel unto you than what we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other Gospel unto you than what you have received, let him be accursed, Galatians 1:6-9.

There is only one Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

Paul said, "For by grace (God's goodness) are you saved through faith; and not that of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast" Ephesians 2:8-9.

In Ephesians 2:8-9, Paul eliminated works as a means of salvation. The reason that salvation is not by works is because it is the gift of God. A gift cannot be earned or deserved otherwise it is not a gift. Some will say that the word "Grace" in this scripture means the grace of Christ. The word grace in this scripture means the grace of God. God was gracious in that he sent his Son to be the savior of the world, John 3:17.

Paul said, "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.

Paul makes it clear that salvation is not by works, nor is it by obedience to the law. If it is not by works or obedience to the law, then it can only be by faith and by faith alone.

Last edited:
Paul wrote to the Galatians, "I marvel that you are soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another Gospel: which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the Gospel of Christ. But though we or an angel from heaven, preach any other Gospel unto you than what we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other Gospel unto you than what you have received, let him be accursed, Galatians 1:6-9.

There is only one Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

Paul said, "For by grace (God's goodness) are you saved through faith; and not that of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast" Ephesians 2:8-9.

In Ephesians 2:8-9, Paul eliminated works as a means of salvation. The reason that salvation is not by works is because it is the gift of God. A gift cannot be earned or deserved otherwise it is not a gift. Some will say that the word "Grace" in this scripture means the grace of Christ. The word grace in this scripture means the grace of God. God was gracious in that he sent his Son to be the savior of the world, John 3:17.

Paul said, "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.

Paul makes it clear that salvation is not by works, nor is it by obedience to the law. If it is not by works or obedience to the law, then it can only be by faith and by faith alone.

You keep posting the same false argument in slightly different guises.
Then when you are show to be wrong you try again.

I'm not going to waste much time on this but the main flaws are:
1. When Paul writes of the law he mean the Old (Sinai) Covenant law, not all law.
2. Not all actions we do are works, and certainly not works that earn us salvation.
3. Some things we do are in obedience to Christ's commands. Do you think doing something Christ commands is a work that earns salvation?
4. Nowhere does scripture say that salvation is by faith alone.

The problem with that is, you are completely ignoring how God is not simply saying faith, but how wait works with works.
James 2:14-26
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without [a]your works, and I will show you my faith by [b]my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is [c]dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made [d]perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was [e]accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

So in context of Scripture, Paul meant it's not by faith ALONE or works ALONE. It's both. Faith is the starting point, and with faith it automatically prompts the works like a dominoe effect. Because Abraham had faith in God (faith) he went to the land God sent him to (work). Because David had faith in God (faith) he did not kill king Saul or seek revenge (work). Because Joseph & Mary had faith in God (faith), the willingly facilitated the birth, protection, and raising of Jesus (work). Because Jesus had faith in God (faith), He willingly went to the cross (work).

You can't say you have faith in the chair to hold you up, but never sit in it or an airplane company and never fly with them, or your family members but never trust them. Faith is an action word. "It's shown by your walk not your talk by you life not your lips, by your movement not your mouth" - Tony Evans Without work your faith means nothing. So you cannot sin and do as you please and expect grace to abound as it says in Romans 2:1. Because we will know if your faith is real by your fruit (In Matthew 7). That's how we dictate true & false disciples & teachers. Faith coincides with work to produce tangible fruit.

Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen."

You keep posting the same false argument in slightly different guises.
Then when you are show to be wrong you try again.

I'm not going to waste much time on this but the main flaws are:
1. When Paul writes of the law he mean the Old (Sinai) Covenant law, not all law.
2. Not all actions we do are works, and certainly not works that earn us salvation.
3. Some things we do are in obedience to Christ's commands. Do you think doing something Christ commands is a work that earns salvation?
4. Nowhere does scripture say that salvation is by faith alone.
If you are going to refute what I say you will have to do it with scripture, otherwise it is nothing but hot air.

The problem with that is, you are completely ignoring how God is not simply saying faith, but how wait works with works.
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without [a]your works, and I will show you my faith by [b]my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is [c]dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made [d]perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was [e]accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

So in context of Scripture, Paul meant it's not by faith ALONE or works ALONE. It's both. Faith is the starting point, and with faith it automatically prompts the works like a dominoe effect. Because Abraham had faith in God (faith) he went to the land God sent him to (work). Because David had faith in God (faith) he did not kill king Saul or seek revenge (work). Because Joseph & Mary had faith in God (faith), the willingly facilitated the birth, protection, and raising of Jesus (work). Because Jesus had faith in God (faith), He willingly went to the cross (work).

You can't say you have faith in the chair to hold you up, but never sit in it or an airplane company and never fly with them, or your family members but never trust them. Faith is an action word. "It's shown by your walk not your talk by you life not your lips, by your movement not your mouth" - Tony Evans Without work your faith means nothing. So you cannot sin and do as you please and expect grace to abound as it says in Romans 2:1. Because we will know if your faith is real by your fruit (In Matthew 7). That's how we dictate true & false disciples & teachers. Faith coincides with work to produce tangible fruit.

Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen."
The book of James was not written to Gentile Christians. It was written to law keeping Jews, James 1:1. Worse yet, James was a Judaizer that wanted to circumcise Gentile believers, Acts 15:1-41. A Judaizer is one that believes in Jesus, but also believes that you must keep the law of Moses. James also sent men to spy on Peter and Barnabas to see if they were eating with Gentiles, Galatians 2:11-21. I am sure that James came into a full knowledge of the Gospel and justification by faith at a later date.

I refuted you with Scripture and you don't respond to me? Are you looking for understanding or no?
I already have understanding. I understand that there is none righteous, no, not one, Romans 3:10. Your works and your obedience are worthless. God only accepts the works and the obedience of Jesus Christ. We are accepted only in him and because of him.

Good works are not an indication of faith. I know of some cultist that can outshine most Christians because they think that that are saved by their works.

The book of James was not written to Gentile Christians. It was written to law keeping Jews, James 1:1. Worse yet, James was a Judaizer that wanted to circumcise Gentile believers, Acts 15:1-41. A Judaizer is one that believes in Jesus, but also believes that you must keep the law of Moses. James also sent men to spy on Peter and Barnabas to see if they were eating with Gentiles, Galatians 2:11-21. I am sure that James came into a full knowledge of the Gospel and justification by faith at a later date.
#1 In Galatians, it was men from James (who may have agreed with his theology but still were independent men with their own ideologies), not James himself. In Acts, I do not see anything tied to James calling for circumcision. And in James 1:1 using that ideology none of James writing, nor Jesus writing to the 7 churches in Asia in Revelation 1-3, nor Jesus ministry in which he said "I have came for the lost tribes of Israel". (Matthew 15:24), 2 John & 3 John who were written to specific people, and others aren't applicable to us today according to that logic.

Those theories aren't supported biblically and are merely historical speculation not divine revelation.

Good works are not an indication of faith. I know of some cultist that can outshine most Christians because they think that that are saved by their works.
You ignored everything I said in the book of James and the book of Hebrews. Does the Bible loose it's divine authority because there are parts of it you disagree with. I don't like plenty of parts, does it mean it therefore becomes invalid? Am we God? Does God need our stamp of approval?

Did you not see when I put what Jesus said in Matthew 7:16-20 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them."

Do you believe we can live a life full of sin and just because we say we believe in God we are granted into heaven?

What about Matthew 7:21-23 "
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Did you not see any of the analogies I put like with Abraham, David, Jesus, Mary, & Joseph. Actually Hebrews 11 is a great source for people of faith. They didn't just proclaim faith and sit and do nothing, but moved on the Word of God BECAUSE of their faith. Faith triggers works automatically. Just because I believe I am a football player doesn't make me a football player, but my skills because of my belief proves it.

As a valiant preacher Voddie Baucham said: "We do not follow the indicatives (commands, laws, good works) without the imperatives (faith, belief of salavation)."

I already have understanding. I understand that there is none righteous, no, not one, Romans 3:10. Your works and your obedience are worthless. God only accepts the works and the obedience of Jesus Christ. We are accepted only in him and because of him.
True none are righteous, but the next part is unbiblical. As in a previous posrt Matthew 7 refutes your ideology of obedience and works being useless. James refutes it as well but you reject James unfortunately. And the rest of your post is partly inaccurate because why would Scripture say, "14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:14), If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. (Matthew 16:24-26), Do not think that I have come to abolish Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. (Matthew 5:17), Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2), If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. (John 14:15), This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus. (Revelation 14:12), You are my friends if you do what I command. (John 14:14)...
Shall I go on?

Sounds like a lot of works required or else what is the use of the 1,050 commands in the Bible for us to obey, gathered into 10 commandments, which are summed up in 2 commandments. Love God & love your neighbor? Your understanding of that seems to contradict Scripture.

#1 In Galatians, it was men from James (who may have agreed with his theology but still were independent men with their own ideologies), not James himself. In Acts, I do not see anything tied to James calling for circumcision. And in James 1:1 using that ideology none of James writing, nor Jesus writing to the 7 churches in Asia in Revelation 1-3, nor Jesus ministry in which he said "I have came for the lost tribes of Israel". (Matthew 15:24), 2 John & 3 John who were written to specific people, and others aren't applicable to us today according to that logic.

Those theories aren't supported biblically and are merely historical speculation not divine revelation.
The scripture says, "For before that certain came from James" Galatians 2:12. James was the head of the church in Jerusalem. It is very obvious that James sent men to spy on Peter and Barnabas to see if they were eating with Gentiles, a Jewish sin.

In Acts the 15th chapter, Paul and Barnabas convinced James and the other Judaizers that they should not circumcise Gentile believers, Acts 15:19.

The scripture says, "For before that certain came from James" Galatians 2:12. James was the head of the church in Jerusalem. It is very obvious that James sent men to spy on Peter and Barnabas to see if they were eating with Gentiles, a Jewish sin.

In Acts the 15th chapter, Paul and Barnabas convinced James and the other Judaizers that they should not circumcise Gentile believers, Acts 15:19.
That is still a speculation without definitive premises in Scripture. We don't know for sure why the men came, or even if James sent them. Like with Joab in the Old Testament, he was from David but not always sent on David's command, like when he killed Abner & Amasa. So we just don't know. And in Acts it doens't explicitly say in the verse or it's context that James was saying they must circumcize themselves, it's not even in his own book!

True none are righteous, but the next part is unbiblical. As in a previous posrt Matthew 7 refutes your ideology of obedience and works being useless. James refutes it as well but you reject James unfortunately. And the rest of your post is partly inaccurate because why would Scripture say, "14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:14), If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. (Matthew 16:24-26), Do not think that I have come to abolish Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. (Matthew 5:17), Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2), If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. (John 14:15), This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus. (Revelation 14:12), You are my friends if you do what I command. (John 14:14)...
Shall I go on?

Sounds like a lot of works required or else what is the use of the 1,050 commands in the Bible for us to obey, gathered into 10 commandments, which are summed up in 2 commandments. Love God & love your neighbor? Your understanding of that seems to contradict Scripture.
You are apparently practicing Old Covenant law and religion that is under the judgment of God, Galatians 3:10-14.

You are apparently practicing Old Covenant law and religion that is under the judgment of God, Galatians 3:10-14.
You read nothing did you? All I quoted was from the New Testament, you seem to only delight in airing your own opinions and not acheiving understanding (Proverbs 18:2). How about instead of being so quick to respond actually read and do due dilligence and respond accordingly.l

That is still a speculation without definitive premises in Scripture. We don't know for sure why the men came, or even if James sent them. Like with Joab in the Old Testament, he was from David but not always sent on David's command, like when he killed Abner & Amasa. So we just don't know. And in Acts it doens't explicitly say in the verse or it's context that James was saying they must circumcize themselves, it's not even in his own book!
The scripture tells us why James sent men to spy on Peter and Barnabas, you have to read the scripture, Galatians 2:12.

Acts 15 does not say they have to circumcise themselves. James did not want them to join the church in Jerusalem unless they were circumcised. You have to read the scripture.

You read nothing did you? All I quoted was from the New Testament, you seem to only delight in airing your own opinions and not acheiving understanding (Proverbs 18:2). How about instead of being so quick to respond actually read and do due dilligence and respond accordingly.l
I have bad news for you, Matthew, mark, Luke and John were also written under the Old Covenant. If you want to know what was written under the New Covenant you will have to read Paul's epistles. Under the New Covenant God's people do not live by laws, rules or religion, instead they live by faith in Christ and his Gospel, Romans 1:17.

The scripture tells us why James sent men to spy on Peter and Barnabas, you have to read the scripture, Galatians 2:12.

Acts 15 does not say they have to circumcise themselves. James did not want them to join the church in Jerusalem unless they were circumcised. You have to read the scripture.
Good morning my friend, sorry if I came off a little strong yesterday, nevertheless

You said "Acts 15 does not say they have to circumcise themselves" which is my point exactly. We cannot make that inference because their is not a crystal clear verse where it says that. Thus it is mere speculation.

I have bad news for you, Matthew, mark, Luke and John were also written under the Old Covenant. If you want to know what was written under the New Covenant you will have to read Paul's epistles. Under the New Covenant God's people do not live by laws, rules or religion, instead they live by faith in Christ and his Gospel, Romans 1:17.
You are still ignoring everything. You have no Scriptural proof that Matthew Mark Luke and John were written under the old covenant. Do you reject Jesus word? Do you reject the parts of the Bible you don't like? They were written after the Pauline Epistles. Also I quoted Hebrews, is that not accepted. Plus God's word is God's word, and we can't let our preferences refute that. I will ask you again, do you believe that you can live a life of sin and get into heaven with an unrepentant heart? You don't understand how faith works. Faith is an action verb. If your faith is genuine it immediately result in works. Actually read everything I said before responding.

You are still ignoring everything. You have no Scriptural proof that Matthew Mark Luke and John were written under the old covenant. Do you reject Jesus word? Do you reject the parts of the Bible you don't like? They were written after the Pauline Epistles. Also I quoted Hebrews, is that not accepted. Plus God's word is God's word, and we can't let our preferences refute that. I will ask you again, do you believe that you can live a life of sin and get into heaven with an unrepentant heart? You don't understand how faith works. Faith is an action verb. If your faith is genuine it immediately result in works. Actually read everything I said before responding.
The book of Hebrews was written under the New Covenant and confirms that the Old Covenant of law, rules and religion is no longer in force, Hebrews 8:7-13. Under the New Covenant Christians are led by the Holy Spirit and not by laws, rules or religion, Galatians 3:2. All that have come to Christ as repentant sinners to be saved by him are indwelt with the Holy Spirit. It is the work of the Spirit to produce good works and the Christian life, Ephesians 2:10. It is all of God and not of religion.

Faith is given to those that hear and believe the Gospel, Romans 10:17. We are all sinners saved by grace, Romans 3:10. However, Christians that are indwelt with the Holy Spirit will not deliberately sin. If they do, they have an advocate.

Back