Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Any recommended guitar course?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Chongshipei

I am mainly learning guitar to learn praise and worship songs. I want to worship God with the guitar.
I had 2 months of guitar instruction back in the past before I stopped due to financial constraints. I learnt the dduudu strum pattern during my guitar instruction class. It is a group instruction class.
I am interested in learning mainly to play praise and worship songs, as well as hymns and gospel songs.

From justinguitar, I learnt the D chord and A chord, though I struggle with them sometimes. I am currently using justinguitar as a resource. I may consider subscibing to either guitartricks or jamplay, though I am not sure which is better. These guitar sites are good, but they mainly teaches secular songs, and rarely, and most often not, have any praise and worship songs which I can learn.
I will really appreciate if someone can point me to a website that focuses on teaching praise and worship guitar, even if it is a dvd.

I prefer online video site with lifetime subscription, so that I don't have to pay again and again. I know of two websites, worship artistry and worshiponline that focuses on christian praise and worship but they are mainly songs and not techniques or styles or music theory.

I will like to learn guitar music theory, guitar strumming pattern and learn more guitar chords. I also hope to learn to move up and down the guitar fretboard and transpose with capo. As of now, I do not know how to use a capo.

Also, are there any guitar websites beside guitartricks, jamplay, truefire or artistworks that offer video instructions from beginner to advanced? Especially one that is focus on praise and worship? Or teaches songs that worship artistry and worshiponline doesn't cover?

Thanks for all the recommendations so far, will continue to look at more recommendations. I recently bought a FG830 Yamaha acoustic guitar and wonder if it works with praise and worship songs, or will an electric guitar suits me better? Also, which is better, guitartrick or jamplay or truefire?

Furthermore, I recently inherited a sum of US$1000 and will like to invest them on guitar course. Price is not an issue for me. What are some guitar accesories I should look up for and purchase, besides the capo, that will aid me in learning guitar? My budget after spending on FG830 is US$1000. Any course within that price range and is good will be considered by me. Thanks for reading!

Furthermore, I recently inherited a sum of US$1000 and will like to invest them on guitar course.
I would advise more in person lessons with a teacher , one on one if possible . Your guitar should have the lightest set of acoustic strings you can get , like these Elixir Strings 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings w NANOWEB Coating, Extra Light (.010-.047) and the guitar should be adjusted so the strings are as close to the fret board as possible without buzzing when you play it . This will help a LOT to not make your fingers hurt and make chording the strings much easier . I once was a guitar tech at a music store .

Learning guitar can be fun.

I honestly recommend finding a local group where someone can teach/tutor you.

I'm a band kid, and I know some instruments for a fact I could learn without an instructor because I've been around them for so many years and posture and bad habits aren't as rampant as they are with strings. With a stringed instrument, it seems bad habits can be formed a lot more easily.

With financial constraints, I suggest finding a friend or someone at church that could teach you? Find out if there's someone willing to meet you once a week. Instead of cash, pay them with a home cooked meal or something? As an idea, I'm not sure what works best for you and your situation.

I've been taking a rock n' roll instrumental class each week and it's been fun, but I see some downsides I'm experiencing, too. My husband also plays so if we ever get the chance, we try to jam out a bit. It's more affordable for us, but the instruction isn't pro, I should say. It's more of a "learn for fun" type of thing, I am sure a more serious thing would cost more, but I do want to learn.

One resource we use is:

(They actually do have gospel/worship on there! It's not all gospel and worship, but they have some on there, which is awesome. I added some of those tabs to my list. The best tabs are subscriptioned, though. However, you can use the 7 day free trial, cancel before they charge to test it out and you can download and save the tabs you like to your computer. They might have had a lifetime subscription option, but I am not 100% sure. They did have a yearly amount on there, I do know that for sure. They have many tabs that will tell you "capo" or "no capo", which is unebelievably nice)!

Hal Leonard that sells music books also sells a fair share of praise and worship music. You can go online to halleonard.com and you can make a music library on there. There is some free content you can add, I believe. Our teacher has a music code she gives us to access the book for guitar basics, but it seems there were other free stuff on there, too. (Honestly, their music books aren't usually all that expensive for what you get).

To be honest, I've never heard of guitartrick, jamplay, or trufire. Might want to look online, people often rank the best guitar places on the web from best to okay or worst if they're feeling fiesty. Sounds insteresting, though. I think Fender also made their own guitar lesson thing, too...Fender Play or something?

How has the acoustic been suiting you? Yamaha generally has good instruments. I do know that some acoustics have the electric hook ups so they can be both acoustic and electric. Not sure if yours does that or not. I've been starting off with the electric guitar, I love it, but man...the metal strings are killer. I'm getting a bit jealous of my husband's acoustic nylons lately...

Like they say, though..."teach your kids to love gear and they'll never have enough to buy drugs." Ha ha xD guitar stuff has become like candy to me, gotta be careful! The stuff ain't cheap! Been wanting myself a Line 6 Spider amp...that thing is so unbelievably fun.

As long as you have some music, good guidance, and plenty of picks (pesky things that keep getting lost), you should do great.

I'm finding it takes a lot of patience and time to learn guitar. I'm really hating the A chord right now...

Back