Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are all people infected by sin?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I think it is important to be clear about exactly what the "total depravity" doctrine states.

Total depravity:
The doctrine of total depravity (also called "total inability") asserts that, as a consequence of the fall of humanity into sin, every person born into the world is enslaved to the service of sin. People are not by nature inclined to love God with their whole heart, mind, or strength, but rather all are inclined to serve their own interests over those of their neighbor and to reject the rule of God. Thus, all people by their own faculties are morally unable to choose to follow God and be saved because they are unwilling to do so out of the necessity of their own natures. (The term "total" in this context refers to sin affecting every part of a person, not that every person is as evil as possible.)

The statement that all people are unable to choose to follow God is a denial of man’s free will.

Does the Bible teach that man has no free will?

DT 30:19 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live

JOS 24:15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

PR 8:10 Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold,

ISA 56:4 For this is what the LORD says: "To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose what pleases me and hold fast to my covenant--

PS 34:11-14 Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. 12 Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days, keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies. Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

EZE 3:27 But when I speak to you, I will open your mouth and you shall say to them, `This is what the Sovereign LORD says.' Whoever will listen let him listen, and whoever will refuse let him refuse; for they are a rebellious house.

MK 16:15-16 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

JN 3:16-18 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

JN 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

JN 5:24 I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

REV 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

REV 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

The assumption that that man has the freedom to make a choice is the basis of all these (and more) verses. Man has free will. The notion that man is incapable of making such a choice is not compatible with the teaching of scripture.

God’s earnest encouragement to choose to serve Him permeates the scriptures. The notion that all mankind is incapable of doing so, that all mankind is “hard wired” to oppose God contradicts the teaching of Scripture.

ISA 1:18 "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool."

ISA 1:19-20 If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword." For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

The phrase "if you are willing" requires that the person be able to exercise his free will.

This is one of many examples in scripture of how God deals with man; by giving man the freedom to make a choice. Total depravity resulting in having no free will is not Biblical.

Imho....

iakov the fool

This was said to the Israelites. Obviously they did not or could not obey. And we know why. Jesus said they were not of God. But the question is not whether we have freewill or not. The question is whether our will is greater than God's will.

Jesus explained, 'No one can come to him unless the Father draws him.' John 6:44

Re. the flesh, total depravity is a bit strong. I agree with Paul. There seems to be a law at work in the mortal flesh to do what we don't want to do. I would explain it as a natural desire for money and pleasure.

Jesus explained, 'No one can come to him unless the Father draws him.' John 6:44
I see that quoted all the time while the following is ignored:
Jhn 12:32 “And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.”
So, the Father has drawn all peoples.
But He has not forced anyone.
God does not prevent anyone from coming to him
In fact, He constantly calls man to repentance.
Isa 65:2 I have stretched out My hands all day long to a rebellious people, who walk in a way that is not good, according to their own thoughts;
Isa 65:12... when I called, you did not answer; When I spoke, you did not hear,
But did evil before My eyes, And chose that in which I do not delight.”
Mat 23:37 & Luk 13:34 Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!

The notion that there are people whom God does not call is contrary to scripture.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is ...longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Man's free will is confirmed throughout the scriptures.
Isa 1:18-20
“Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD,
“Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.
If you are willing and obedient, You shall eat the good of the land;
But if you refuse and rebel, You shall be devoured by the sword”;
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

Rom 6:3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Justin Martyr's writings are sometimes helpful, but not God-breathed.[/QUOTE]
So you know better than he. And that's because.....???????[/QUOTE]

These verses do not state baptized into Christ Jesus = baptized into His death = water baptism for salvation.

I do not disagree w Paul's statement. I disagree w your interpretation BECAUSE baptism into Christ uses figurative 'baptism' language of being immersed in Christ when born from above @ salvation.

Oz

I see that quoted all the time while the following is ignored:
Jhn 12:32 “And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.”
So, the Father has drawn all peoples.
But He has not forced anyone.
God does not prevent anyone from coming to him
In fact, He constantly calls man to repentance.
Isa 65:2 I have stretched out My hands all day long to a rebellious people, who walk in a way that is not good, according to their own thoughts;
Isa 65:12... when I called, you did not answer; When I spoke, you did not hear,
But did evil before My eyes, And chose that in which I do not delight.”
Mat 23:37 & Luk 13:34 Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!

The notion that there are people whom God does not call is contrary to scripture.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is ...longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Man's free will is confirmed throughout the scriptures.
Isa 1:18-20
“Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD,
But if you refuse and rebel, You shall be devoured by the sword”;
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

John 12:32 says Jesus will draw all men to himself. In the following line Jesus refers to himself as the light. John 12:35 So he, the light, will draw all men to himself. All men will be drawn to the light, whether out of curiosity or instinct, they will be drawn by the report of his coming. Not that all will believe in the light. In fact the Jews who heard him could not believe because God blinded their eyes and hardened their heart. Anyways I don't see how it proves your point.

Isa. 65:2-12 and Matthew 23:37 and Luke 13:34 is talking about Israel being a rebellious people who walked in their own thoughts and who chose to do evil. Does this prove your point? Not at all. It doesn't say anything about believing in the Son of God being a choice.

But there's plenty of evidence that the Father gives men to his Son. "All that the Father gives me will come to me; and him who comes to me I will not cast out. John 6:37

The Son has power over all flesh to give eternal life to all whom the Father has given him. John 17:2

Isa. 65:2-12 and Matthew 23:37 and Luke 13:34 is talking about Israel being a rebellious people who walked in their own thoughts and who chose to do evil. Does this prove your point? Not at all. It doesn't say anything about believing in the Son of God being a choice.
God didn't change His mind to say that He gave people under the Old Covenant free will but took it away from people under the New Covenant.
God does not prevent anyone from believing.
The atonement is effective for the entire human race. The idea of limited atonement is not Biblical.
The Son has power over all flesh to give eternal life to all whom the Father has given him. John 17:2
Jhn 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,
that
whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Jhn 3:17
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world,
but
that the world through Him might be saved.

Jhn 3:18
He who believes in Him is not condemned;
but
he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Q: Who did Jesus come to save?
A: The WORLD
Q: Who is excluded fro being saved?
A: NO ONE
Q: Then why would anyone not be saved?
A: BECAUSE HE DID NOT BELIEVE
Q: Is there anyone whom God does not want to save?
A: 2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us,
not willing that any should perish
but that all should come to repentance

That's God's will; that EVERYONE should come to repentance.
It is impossible to want everyone to come to repentance and, at the same time, to willfully not call some to repentance.

Why would anyone not repent and receive eternal life?
Jhn 5:40 ...you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Jhn 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Q; Who does the Father draw?
A:
Mar 8:34-35 When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it.

Eternal life is open to anyone who desires it and anyone who desires it, the Father will draw and give to the Son.

God didn't change His mind to say that He gave people under the Old Covenant free will but took it away from people under the New Covenant.
The atonement is effective for the entire human race. The idea of limited atonement is not Biblical.

that

but

but
he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

A: 2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us,

It is impossible to want everyone to come to repentance and, at the same time, to willfully not call some to repentance.

Jhn 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
A:
Mar 8:34-35 When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it.

Eternal life is open to anyone who desires it and anyone who desires it, the Father will draw and give to the Son.

Ok

So it is the Father who draws men to his Son ie. to the light. Those who come to the Son come by the Father who draws them. So it is the Father's will that men be saved. Nevertheless not all who are drawn to Jesus end up believing in Jesus. True of those who do not understand. So we can say all who do believe were drawn by the Father. And in the case of those who don't understand, the seed is snatched away.

So it is by hearing the word of God and not by choice that men come to be saved. We don't have to make a conscious decision to believe. The word does the work. It's the word working belief in a man's heart. It's the word that saves. True of true believers.

Ok

So it is the Father who draws men to his Son ie. to the light. Those who come to the Son come by the Father who draws them. So it is the Father's will that men be saved. Nevertheless not all who are drawn to Jesus end up believing in Jesus. True of those who do not understand. So we can say all who do believe were drawn by the Father. And in the case of those who don't understand, the seed is snatched away.

So it is by hearing the word of God and not by choice that men come to be saved. We don't have to make a conscious decision to believe. The word does the work. It's the word working belief in a man's heart. It's the word that saves. True of true believers.
You appear to have posited that the failure to understand as the only reason for not being saved.
That is false.
Jhn 3:19 And this is the condemnation,
that the light has come into the world,
and men loved darkness rather than light,
because their deeds were evil.

Re. his sheep, Jesus knows them and they know him and no one can snatch them out of his hand.
You appear to have posited that the failure to understand as the only reason for not being saved.
That is false.
Jhn 3:19 And this is the condemnation,
that the light has come into the world,
and men loved darkness rather than light,
because their deeds were evil.

Not exactly. They do not understand because they are not of God.

Jesus said, "Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But, because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47 He who is of God hears the words of God; the reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” John 8:43-47 RSV

Of course if they are not of God they are going to love darkness.

Re. his sheep, Jesus knows them and they know him and no one can snatch them out of his hand.

Not exactly. They do not understand because they are not of God.

Jesus said, "Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But, because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47 He who is of God hears the words of God; the reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” John 8:43-47 RSV

Of course if they are not of God they are going to love darkness.
They cannot understand because they have chosen a path contrary to the path of righteousness. It is a decision of those who love darkness. It's not that they cannot understand; it's that they don't want to know. They have bade their choice.

Bottom line: God does not choose some people to be saved and others to be sent to hell for eternal torment. Each individual makes that decision for himself.

Man made his choice in the garden of Eden..Adam didn't seek God out God had to make the first move.. God told Adam he would die and die he did..dead men don't make choices..

What is the biblical definition of heresy?
From KJV
αἵρεσις
Transliteration: hairesis
Pronunciation: hī'-re-sēs (Key)
Part of Speech: feminine noun

Root Word (Etymology) From αἱρέω (G138)
Greek Inflections of αἵρεσις
mGNT — 9x in 4 unique form(s) TR — 9x in 4 unique form(s)
αἱρέσεις — 3x
αἱρέσεως — 3x
αἵρεσιν — 2x
αἵρεσις — 1x
Dictionary Aids

The KJV translates Strong's G139 in the following manner: sect (5x), heresy (4x).
Outline of Biblical Usage
  1. act of taking, capture: e.g. storming a city
  2. choosing, choice
  3. that which is chosen
  4. a body of men following their own tenets (sect or party)
    1. of the Sadducees
    2. of the Pharisees
    3. of the Christians
  5. dissensions arising from diversity of opinions and aims
Strong’s Definitions
αἵρεσις haíresis, hah'-ee-res-is; from G138; properly, a choice, i.e. (specially) a party or (abstractly) disunion:—heresy (which is the Greek word itself), sect.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

STRONGS NT 139: αἵρεσις
αἵρεσις, -εως, ἡ;
1. (from αἱρέω), act of taking, capture: τῆς πόλεως, the storming of a city; in secular authors.
2. (from αἱρέομαι), choosing, choice, very often in secular writings: Sept. Leviticus 22:18; 1 Macc. 8:30.
3. that which is chosen, a chosen course of thought and action; hence one's chosen opinion, tenet; according to the context, an opinion varying from the true exposition of the Christian faith (heresy): 2 Peter 2:1

They cannot understand because they have chosen a path contrary to the path of righteousness. It is a decision of those who love darkness. It's not that they cannot understand; it's that they don't want to know. They have bade their choice.

Bottom line: God does not choose some people to be saved and others to be sent to hell for eternal torment. Each individual makes that decision for himself.

Provided they fear God and God gives them a spirit of wisdom. Otherwise how can they choose what they do not understand?

Job 32:8
But it is the spirit in a man, the breath of the Almighty, that makes him understand.

Provided they fear God and God gives them a spirit of wisdom. Otherwise how can they choose what they do not understand?
Job 32:8
But it is the spirit in a man, the breath of the Almighty, that makes him understand.
The translation of that verse seems to define the spirit of man as the "breath of God."
The Septuagint renders it slightly differently:
"But there is a spirit in man, and the breath of the Almighty gives him understanding."
The word "breath" might be better translated "inspiration". (Heb: nĕshamah) But I am not an expert who can correct the translators.
I think we can agree that understanding comes from God.

I also think scripture tells us that all people are presented with (how shall I say?) a "seed" of the revelation of God. Paul tells us that we have no excuse not to glorify God.
Rom 1:18-23 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

So, it would seem that man is totally responsible for his choices; whether to serve God or serve himself.

iakov the fool

Justin Martyr's writings are sometimes helpful, but not God-breathed.
Justin's writings reflect the teaching of the apostles. (As do the writings of Polycarp, Ignatius, and the rest.) The Didache reflects the teaching of the apostles.

I don't know the basis on which someone may proclaim that the teaching of the early church fathers is not "God breathed." That teaching which was not "god breathed" was rooted out as heresy and refuted by these same early church fathers. That is why the church is not Arian or Nestorian of Manichean or any of the other deviations from the apostolic teaching.

It seems to me that the preaching of a good pastor would be the result of much study and prayer so that the sermon would be "inspired" by God's Spirit (ie: "god-breathed") rather than tby he pastor's spirit.

It was the work of the early church that gave us the doctrine that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are of the same divine substance/nature. (Homoousis)

These same people gave us the teaching of the "dual" nature of Christ being wholly man and wholly God.

I certainly hope that their conclusions were "God-breathed". If they were not then they just the "wisdom of man" and all of our religion is no better.

I am perplexed by the great resistance to the scriptural ("God-breathed") teaching about baptism.
Jesus commanded that all disciples be baptized. (Mat 28:19)
Paul said that all who are baptized into Jesus are baptized into His death. (Ro 6:3)
Then he said that, in baptism, we are buried with Christ. (Ro 6:4)
What I see there is the believer being united to Christ in His death and resurrection.
I see the old life brought to an end in the sacramental death and burial of the believer and then the resurrection of the believer having been born again of water to a new life in Christ.

And then he said that, as Christ was raised from the dead so we should walk in newness of life. (Ro 6:4)
Mark said “He who believes and is baptized will be saved" (Mar 16:16a) thus declaring baptism as essential to salvation. (Perhaps as an act of obedience the the LORD Jesus.)

That is what the early church taught. I do not believe that I am qualified to refute them with my own opinions. And I am surprised and dismayed when others do so. (most of whom have not read them)

I trust that the Orthodox Church has preserved the teaching of the early Church with diligence and I hold to the Orthodox view that new interpretations should be examined and, if they are are contrary to the teaching of the apostles, should be rejected.

I hope that clarifies my understanding somewhat.

Last edited:
Obviously they did not or could not obey. And we know why. Jesus said they were not of God.
Jesus said that to the people who opposed Him and rejected His teaching, not to all of Israel. (Obviously His disciples were all Israelites.)
But the question is not whether we have freewill or not. The question is whether our will is greater than God's will.
No. That is not the question. Of course God's will is greater.
But God does not force His will on man. He allows man to exercise his free will.
A person cannot be forced, by a more powerful will, to love anyone.
God does not assert His will to make us love Him.

Luke 13:34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were not willing!

Jhn 5:39-40 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Lev 26:21 Then, if you walk contrary to Me, and are not willing to obey Me, I will bring on you seven times more plagues, according to your sins.

Isa 1:18-20 “Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD,

But
if you refuse and rebel, You shall be devoured by the sword.”

Deu 30:19 I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;

God has consistently allowed man to exercise His free will.

The alternative view; that, by His will, God causes us to make the choices He wants us to make, requires us to conclude that it was God's will for Adam to sin and bring death to all mankind and that it is God's will that some should be saved and some condemned.

But what does His word say?
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

So, yes, His will is greater than man's will. But He allows man to exercise his free will even unto eternal death.

iakov the fool

Jim,
That is not my position. While I acknowledge that the early church fathers were not 'inspired' in their writings, i.e. on the same level as Scripture. I have never suggested that my own theology is better than those 'who gave us the basic essentials of the Christian faith in the Creed'.
AH! Not on "the same level" of inspiration as the Scriptures.

[edited]
I do recall that Irenaeus dealt with heresies promoted in the early church in his Against Heresies. All was not hunky dory in the teaching of all early church fathers, Origen being one example of one who promoted unorthodox doctrine.
He was anathematized for heretical writings which were not his.

St Augustine paved the way for Calvinism.
Yes he did.
The Orthodox refer to Augustine as "Blessed" rather than "Saint" because, while some of his views were contrary to apostolic tradition, he was humble enough to ask that his readers forgive him if he had made errors.
He also paved the way for the essentially universal western (RCC and Protestant) view of the suffering of Christ in the atonement as the necessary satisfaction of justice and the just punishment of infinite value necessary to recompense God for the infinite affront and insult of Adam's sin. That view is most succinctly laid out in Anselm of Canterbury's, 11th century tract, "Cur Deus Homo." It has the unfortunate result of making God the author of death.

Last edited by a moderator:

that

but

but

A:

That's just it.. dead men have no desire for eternal life.. you have it backwards.

Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

here I think we have a difference between the RCC view of mankind (marred by sin, but not dead in our sins) and the traditional, Protestant view of mankind+total depravity. To be fair to the RCC and the Orthodox churches, their position is also informed by history, philosophy, tradition, etc...

whereas Protestants generally take more of a sola scriptura approach to the issue.

Back