Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are you for or against the death penalty?

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

theLords

Well, it's April and the Spring semester is drawing to it's end! I'm currently doing a research paper on the death penalty, and I wanted to know your positions.

If, yes, why?

If, no, why?

EDIT: Just in case my poll question is unclear:

YES = Yes, for the death penalty.

NO = No, against the death penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on the fence. In the bible, they had the "death penalty" and it was acceptable. As much and I hate to say this, I think that today it is still acceptable. What changed that would make God not allow or want it?

I just feel horrible that there are innocent people that get put on death row. :shame

I vote "no" on the death penalty. From what I understand, there's a tendency for the death penalty to be given to the most vulnerable defendants--the poor, minorities, the mentally ill, people with low IQs. I also read that death penalty cases end up costing the state more money than long term imprisonment. In one of my classes we talked about the deterrent value, and apparently there doesn't seem to be one.

I'm also not comfortable with it on religious/spiritual grounds; although I respect Christians who are pro-death penalty, I personally feel that we are called to mix justice with mercy (sometimes even grace), and the death penalty is the most merciless punishment I can think of. Finally, I don't like authorizing the state to kill its own citizens. Something about the state being able to destroy someone's very life as punishment disturbs me.

I vote "no" on the death penalty. From what I understand, there's a tendency for the death penalty to be given to the most vulnerable defendants--the poor, minorities, the mentally ill, people with low IQs. I also read that death penalty cases end up costing the state more money than long term imprisonment. In one of my classes we talked about the deterrent value, and apparently there doesn't seem to be one.

I'm also not comfortable with it on religious/spiritual grounds; although I respect Christians who are pro-death penalty, I personally feel that we are called to mix justice with mercy (sometimes even grace), and the death penalty is the most merciless punishment I can think of. Finally, I don't like authorizing the state to kill its own citizens. Something about the state being able to destroy someone's very life as punishment disturbs me.
a cop saving your life when the guy is trying to kill you is aslo called summarily excution. that is part of the death penalty. i do see your point, but is it right to just let them be safe and cozy while they so called get punished. go to any prison for the lifer imprisonment. no labor involved not even working in a garden or what not. these guys cant ever be trustees.

Thank you everyone for your input! I have to write an argument essay and be either for or against. I'm not quite sure where I stand yet. I have been thinking about this for some time now. At first I started out, against the death penalty, but now I'm not so sure. I need to decide soon though!

I want to use this paper as an opportunity to pursue the heart of God on this matter. That's why I'm asking all of you.

There's no right or wrong answer. :yes

I am on the fence. In the bible, they had the "death penalty" and it was acceptable. As much and I hate to say this, I think that today it is still acceptable. What changed that would make God not allow or want it?

I just feel horrible that there are innocent people that get put on death row. :shame
Yes its a scary thing, but you correctly addressed the only real argument.

All the reasons for and against are meaningless except . In the bible, they had the "death penalty".

BTW it is supposed to be frightening.

Thank you everyone for your input! I have to write an argument essay and be either for or against. I'm not quite sure where I stand yet. I have been thinking about this for some time now. At first I started out, against the death penalty, but now I'm not so sure. I need to decide soon though!

I want to use this paper as an opportunity to pursue the heart of God on this matter. That's why I'm asking all of you.

There's no right or wrong answer. :yes

God doesnt know huh?

Of course there is right or wrong answer.

Yes its a scary thing, but you correctly addressed the only real argument.

All the reasons for and against are meaningless except . In the bible, they had the "death penalty".

BTW it is supposed to be frightening.

It really is a scary thing... and honestly I could not even imagine taking the living of another human being no matter what they did. But I guess it is what it is... We just have to trust God.

God doesnt know huh?

Of course there is right or wrong answer.

Please do not turn this into a fight. I want to hear people's opinions. You have stated yours and I'm happy to hear it. Now I want to hear others. The world isn't black and white. There have been many innocent men murdered on death row by the state.

God justice is perfect; but, the world's justice is fallible.

Sentencing one to death does not take away his 'right' to face God to make amends. A Dead Ted Bundy etc. will not kill again.

Deu 21:22 And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:

Deu 17:6 At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
Deu 17:7 The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.

I could with out doubt vote on a jury to sentence a killer to death. by 2 or 3 witnesses etc

There have been many innocent men murdered on death row by the state.

I don't think there is a problem with death row, but with the government system. Like I said, there was a death penalty back then. I think they government need to somehow improve their system so that innocent people don't get wrongfully put to death... It does sadden me every time I think about it...

Please do not turn this into a fight. I want to hear people's opinions. You have stated yours and I'm happy to hear it. Now I want to hear others. The world isn't black and white. There have been many innocent men murdered on death row by the state.

I think there is no right or wrong answer because this is a personal opinion... ? I am not sure, though.

Gods perfect justice is ,by design, administered by fallible men.

in a related note , since we mention juris prudence on juries. in the military judicial system the jury isnt a jury of peers as:
1) enlisted may not serve on a trail of an officer
2) the reverse doesnt apply

secondly, the jury need not come to a unamious decison but by a two/thirds majority. this applies to article 32 hearing or summary court martial and also military tribunals of the likes that ksm will face.

in a related note , since we mention juris prudence on juries. in the military judicial system the jury isnt a jury of peers as:
1) enlisted may not serve on a trail of an officer
2) the reverse doesnt apply

secondly, the jury need not come to a unamious decison but by a two/thirds majority. this applies to article 32 hearing or summary court martial and also military tribunals of the likes that ksm will face.
Sorry to go off topic but AGREED Courts Martial are a travesty and I'd like to see qualified men demand they be done away with or refuse to sign up.

Back