Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Because

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

hldude

“Because”
1 John 4:19 NLT
We love each other because he loved us first.

My kids bought me a funny t-shirt a couple years or so back that reads, “Because I said so – Dad”. I have had many comments on it when wearing it out around different places. I may see a parent smile or give a chuckle because they’ve also used the same phrase. Now, however, my girls don’t get as much of a kick out of seeing the shirt on me when I wear it, but I still think it’s funny.

As much as this may give us a good laugh, we could think of endless situations in life in which we use the word “because”.

We do this because…..
We say this because…..
We go somewhere because…..
We talk to someone because…..
We go out to do something fun because…..

We could come up with so many different phrases in which we do or say something…..because. Sometimes we do or say things because we mean whatever we say or do sincerely. Then other times, we do or say things that are not so nice to other because we feel like it in the moment. There’s always a reason why we say something, do something or go somewhere. There’s always a “because”.

As I thought about this verse the other day when it came up for a morning reading, I thought about how so often we forget that we need to love people because Jesus first loved us. We so often have our excuses and reasons for often treating others in a bitter way because we feel we have the right because of what has been said or done to us. We are ALL guilty of this!

My simple encouragement to us all today and every day from now on, is to ask ourselves what is our “because” behind what we are doing, behind what we are saying and behind why we are going somewhere. We are told to do everything with love. Are we? Seriously, are we?? Often times we don’t.

What is your “because”? Do you do things in love even when it’s hard? Every time we’re tempted to treat someone bitterly, we need to be reminded that He first loved us. We love because He first loved us.

Simple concept…..yet so difficult to practice.

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

and the greatest example is Jesus.

“Because”
1 John 4:19 NLT
We love each other because he loved us first.

My kids bought me a funny t-shirt a couple years or so back that reads, “Because I said so – Dad”. I have had many comments on it when wearing it out around different places. I may see a parent smile or give a chuckle because they’ve also used the same phrase. Now, however, my girls don’t get as much of a kick out of seeing the shirt on me when I wear it, but I still think it’s funny.

As much as this may give us a good laugh, we could think of endless situations in life in which we use the word “because”.

We do this because…..
We say this because…..
We go somewhere because…..
We talk to someone because…..
We go out to do something fun because…..

We could come up with so many different phrases in which we do or say something…..because. Sometimes we do or say things because we mean whatever we say or do sincerely. Then other times, we do or say things that are not so nice to other because we feel like it in the moment. There’s always a reason why we say something, do something or go somewhere. There’s always a “because”.

As I thought about this verse the other day when it came up for a morning reading, I thought about how so often we forget that we need to love people because Jesus first loved us. We so often have our excuses and reasons for often treating others in a bitter way because we feel we have the right because of what has been said or done to us. We are ALL guilty of this!

My simple encouragement to us all today and every day from now on, is to ask ourselves what is our “because” behind what we are doing, behind what we are saying and behind why we are going somewhere. We are told to do everything with love. Are we? Seriously, are we?? Often times we don’t.

What is your “because”? Do you do things in love even when it’s hard? Every time we’re tempted to treat someone bitterly, we need to be reminded that He first loved us. We love because He first loved us.

Simple concept…..yet so difficult to practice.

That is not what (1 John 4:19) says.

Your 'simple concept' is not based on the verse you gave.

We love 'him' because he first loved us. Something you totally neglect.

Quantrill

Great quote. Anytime we are doing good because we want to make heaven, we are trading our niceness for something. We must do good Not because of anything else but be good because you are the children of a good God.

Do we do and or say things of our own self, or do we do and say things that God would instruct us to say and do.

There are plenty of verses in the Scripture that speak to the love we should have for other Christians. (1 John 4:19) is saying our love for God is a product of God's love. A result. Just as he also said in (1 John 4:10)

The whole teaching of (1 John 4:7-21) is that true love is from God not from us. Our love for other Christians is only possible because we are of God.

In other words, the statement in the opening post is correct, that 'we love each other because he loved us first'. But it should be based on all of (1 John 4:7-21) and not (4:19). You may think that is not important but it is.

(1 John 4:10,19) is establishing the truth that our love is insufficient. We don't have it in ourselves. It is only because we are born-again and are children of God, that we love the brethren.

When Christ first brought this up it was indeed a law. A commandment. (John 13:33-35). "A new commandment I give unto you...." But this, as with any law, was powerless as the disciples didn't have it in themselves to keep it.

Thus my concern over the misquoting of (1 John 4:19) in the opening post. And my ? concerning your statements.

Quantrill

This is GREAT, hidude. Thanks! I think that non Christians can love. They have kids, family, and friends also. (Edited. Need to look into this a bit more). The disciples chose to activate love in faith, because of Christ and what He taught them. We are told to do the same. But I would say because of Jesus, Christians have a better ability to love when it hurts. It is more then a feeling, but an action... you can only love so much, otherwise. That seed has to be cultivated in order to grow. God grows inside us when we allow Him too and follow His Word.

There are plenty of verses in the Scripture that speak to the love we should have for other Christians. (1 John 4:19) is saying our love for God is a product of God's love. A result. Just as he also said in (1 John 4:10)

The whole teaching of (1 John 4:7-21) is that true love is from God not from us. Our love for other Christians is only possible because we are of God.

In other words, the statement in the opening post is correct, that 'we love each other because he loved us first'. But it should be based on all of (1 John 4:7-21) and not (4:19). You may think that is not important but it is.

(1 John 4:10,19) is establishing the truth that our love is insufficient. We don't have it in ourselves. It is only because we are born-again and are children of God, that we love the brethren.

When Christ first brought this up it was indeed a law. A commandment. (John 13:33-35). "A new commandment I give unto you...." But this, as with any law, was powerless as the disciples didn't have it in themselves to keep it.

Thus my concern over the misquoting of (1 John 4:19) in the opening post. And my ? concerning your statements.

Quantrill
What does any of this have to do with my post #6.

Of course we love Him because He first loved us. That is not being questioned.

Jesus nor the Holy Spirit spoke/speaks anything nor did/does anything above that which God gave to speak or to do. John 12:49-50. It's the same with us as we do not do things because of self, but because of the Father we do all things by Him who works in us and through us as we are His faithful servants.

That is not what (1 John 4:19) says.

Your 'simple concept' is not based on the verse you gave.

We love 'him' because he first loved us. Something you totally neglect.

Quantrill
1John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

Sorry, but this is what the OP is all about as in doing things out of love towards others as Christ first loved us. That is our because. It is a simple concept. This verse was not neglected in the OP.

1John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

Sorry, but this is what the OP is all about as in doing things out of love towards others as Christ first loved us. That is our because. It is a simple concept. This verse was not neglected in the OP.

It was misquoted. Thus it missed the point of the verse.

Quantrill

Back