Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Believers questions

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
Believers questions

Is a believer a Christian?

Is a believer saved?

Is a believer saved?
The question is obtuse. You must CLEARLY define 'believer' and 'christian'. "Believer" needs to state what needs to be believed; what cannot be believed and what empirical evidence would validate the belief is true as even demons believe.

I believe in gravity.
You could say that I and gravity have a special attraction.
Does my belief in gravity make me a Christian?
Loose definitions lead to unnecessary arguments.
Tighten the definitions and arguments can be transformed into discussions.

The question is obtuse. You must CLEARLY define 'believer' and 'christian'. "Believer" needs to state what needs to be believed; what cannot be believed and what empirical evidence would validate the belief is true as even demons believe.
So a believer is not a Christian but only a catechumen
Faith and baptism are required to become a Christian

A an ms I thought the Bible alone was our “authority”!
It is.

We're done with the days of leaders in the church declaring things by their own authority! Look at the mess the Catholic church is because they have allowed men to establish official beliefs and practices apart from the Bible.

It is.

We're done with the days of leaders in the church declaring things by their own authority! Look at the mess the Catholic church is because they have allowed men to establish official beliefs and practices apart from the Bible.
Like Paul?
1 cor 15:1 Now I make known unto you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you have received, and wherein you stand;
Don’t sound like scripture alone?
They exercise the authority of Christ and not their own authority
No new doctrine Jude 1:3
Only what God has revealed
Not scripture alone or explain Lk 3:2
did a book fall out of the sky?
Scripture Verses that contradict “sola scriptura”!

Matt 5:14
Matt 18:17
Matt 28:19
Lk 1:4
Lk 10:16
Jn 8:32
Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21
Acts 1:8
Acts 2:42
Acts 8:26
Acts 8:31
Acts 18:25
Rom 10:15
1 cor 11:23
1 thes 2:23
2 thes 2:15
Col 2:7
Eph 4:5
Heb 13:7
Heb 13:17
1 Tim 3:15
1 Jn 1:3-5
2 Jn 1:12
Jude 1:3

How can it be said scripture is “sole authority” or the only source of truth or the rule of faith when scripture says we must hear the church Matt 18:17 the apostles are the light of the world Matt 5:14 we must hold the doctrine of the apostles acts 2:42 the church is the pillar and ground of truth 1 Tim 3:15

How can it be said scripture is “sole authority” or the only source of truth or the rule of faith when scripture says we must hear the church Matt 18:17 the apostles are the light of the world Matt 5:14 we must hold the doctrine of the apostles acts 2:42 the church is the pillar and ground of truth 1 Tim 3:15
Sure ... we have new Apostles adding the Book of Mormon that we should be embracing ... just ask them!
[That was sarcasm in case I was not clear.]

It is BECAUSE God sent Apostles and THOSE apostles wrote down what God decided that WE (the Church) needed to know that we have Sola Sciptura [GOD's WORDS, not man's words] as our only reliable authority on what GOD has to say. The argument that "Apostleship" is inherited or transferred by the will of men is nonsensical. God chose whom God chose and the CHURCH has one body of many members ... but only ONE HEAD [and it is not the head of Peter or any man; it is Christ Jesus].

Is a believer saved?
"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved." - Paul, Romans 10:9-10

THIS. ☝ :amen

Sure ... we have new Apostles adding the Book of Mormon that we should be embracing ... just ask them!

It is BECAUSE God sent Apostles and THOSE apostles wrote down what God decided that WE (the Church) needed to know that we have Sola Sciptura [GOD's WORDS, not man's words] as our only reliable authority on what GOD has to say. The argument that "Apostleship" is inherited or transferred by the will of men is nonsensical. God chose whom God chose and the CHURCH has one body of many members ... but only ONE HEAD [and it is not the head of Peter or any man; it is Christ Jesus].
Apostolic succession in an unbroken line from Christ Matt 16:18 till Christ returns Matt 28:19 acts 1:8
Thanks

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved." - Paul, Romans 10:9-10

THIS. ☝ :amen
Are you saved?

donadams

Romans 8:28-39 [NASB]
28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.​
31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? 33 Who will bring charges against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; 34 who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, but rather, was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. 35 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or trouble, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 Just as it is written:​
“FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE KILLED ALL DAY LONG;​
WE WERE REGARDED AS SHEEP TO BE SLAUGHTERED.”​
37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• A real promise or empty rhetoric?

donadams

Romans 8:28-39 [NASB]
28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.​
31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? 33 Who will bring charges against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; 34 who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, but rather, was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. 35 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or trouble, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 Just as it is written:​
“FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE KILLED ALL DAY LONG;​
WE WERE REGARDED AS SHEEP TO BE SLAUGHTERED.”​
37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• A real promise or empty rhetoric?
You’re not allowed to love God
“Faith alone”!
Or “Faith alone” is false
Deut. 6:5
5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

John 14:28
Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

1 cor 13:2 all faith without charity avails nothing.

1 cor 13:12 now abide faith, hope, and charity, and the greatest of these is charity.

If salvation was by “faith alone” then faith would be the greatest!!!

If we are saved by faith alone then when we first believed we would be saved?

Romans 13:11
…our salvation nearer than when we believed.

James 5:20
Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

1 Peter 4:8
And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

1 Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema

You’re not allowed to love God
“Faith alone”!
Or “Faith alone” is false
Deut. 6:5
5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

John 14:28
Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

1 cor 13:2 all faith without charity avails nothing.

1 cor 13:12 now abide faith, hope, and charity, and the greatest of these is charity.

If salvation was by “faith alone” then faith would be the greatest!!!

If we are saved by faith alone then when we first believed we would be saved?

Romans 13:11
…our salvation nearer than when we believed.

James 5:20
Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

1 Peter 4:8
And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

1 Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema
So Paul lied with empty promises and men wearing funny hats tell the truth with "proof texts" ... Got it. :sad

Apostle: one who is sent
Only Christ has authority to found a church Matt 16:18 all others are mere human tradition
Only Christ had authority to send apostles Jn 20:21
Your mormans have no connection to Peter and the apostles or their authorized successors no authority from christ

Jesus Christ extends his mission, power, and authority to His church of His apostles! The apostles have the same mission, ministry, power, and authority as Christ! Jn 20:21 as the father sent me, so I send you!

Even His judging!
Matt 19:28 and 1 cor 6:2
His teaching authority!
Matt 28:19 and Jn 20:21
His power to forgive sins!
Jn 20:23
His being the light of the world!
Matt 5:14
His ministry of reconciliation!
2 cor 5:18
His authority in governing the church and administering the kingdom!
Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18 Jn 21:17
Lk 22:29
Apart from me you can do nothing. Jn 15:5
Acts 2:42 doctrine of the apostles!
So the church is subject to Christ!
Eph 5:24
Christ shares His glory! 2 thes 1:10 rev 12:1

The pillar and foundation of TRUTH!

The TWO EDGE SWORD!
To proclaim the truth! Matt 28:19
To condemn error! 1 cor 16:22

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9;4 Jn 15:1 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13) Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Matt 18:17 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42

Christ is an apostle, and has authority to send other apostles, the apostles also have this authority, so the apostles continue down thru the centuries as Christ promised! Matt 28:19-20 acts 1:8

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Isa 22:21-22

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

The apostles teaching is Christ’s teaching, Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4

Back