Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Biblical understanding

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
How can we eliminate strife and confusion and come to a biblical understanding?

Scripture says be if “one mind one heart” Rom 12:16rom 15:16 2 cor 13:11 Phil 1:27

How can we lose the “us verses them” mentality and Hopefully help each other find biblical understanding!

One of the biggest crimes perpetrated by the early church was to distance themselves from normative Judaism. In there lies the answer to your question.

In the first century bc there were 2 prominant rabbis named Shammai and Hillel. Shammai was the president of the Pharisee half of the Sanhedrin and Hillel his 2nd in command. They were best friends, but doctrinally disagreed (often vehemently and publicly) with over 100 different points of contention recorded in the Talmuds. They both started Pharisee schools in Jerusalem and Paul was trained by Hillel's grandson Gamaliel. Despite their differences, and them teaching those differences to their students, they remained personally close. So close, that both men made a requirement of their students to marry daughters of the graduates from the OTHER school.

They are an example of how someone can read scripture and come up with something different than others around him or her, but to not let that separate them from everyone else.

Scripture says be if “one mind one heart” Rom 12:16rom 15:16 2 cor 13:11 Phil 1:27

How can we lose the “us verses them” mentality and Hopefully help each other find biblical understanding!

Where does it say that we must All agree about every single doctrinal issue?

Does it matter that A believes in infant baptism, while B only in adult baptism!

This is only one of many divisions that don’t matter.

But what about salvation.
Where are you prepared to compromise?
If another will not compromise there beliefs, how would you deal with that?

May I suggest that you start reading church history, to find out why different churches exist.

Paul encouraged us this way:

Ephesians 4:3
being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace...

Ephesians 4:13a
...until we all attain to the unity of the faith,

One of the biggest crimes perpetrated by the early church was to distance themselves from normative Judaism. In there lies the answer to your question.

In the first century bc there were 2 prominant rabbis named Shammai and Hillel. Shammai was the president of the Pharisee half of the Sanhedrin and Hillel his 2nd in command. They were best friends, but doctrinally disagreed (often vehemently and publicly) with over 100 different points of contention recorded in the Talmuds. They both started Pharisee schools in Jerusalem and Paul was trained by Hillel's grandson Gamaliel. Despite their differences, and them teaching those differences to their students, they remained personally close. So close, that both men made a requirement of their students to marry daughters of the graduates from the OTHER school.

They are an example of how someone can read scripture and come up with something different than others around him or her, but to not let that separate them from everyone else.
The scripture records that the Pharisees and Sadducees were not so congenial and Paul used that fact. That to men could love each other despite differences doesn’t say that Judaism is such. Israel and Judah were two separate nations that fought wars and killed each other. So I don’t see that Judaism offers a key to this.

The Roman Catholic Church kind of provides a model…

But where the rubber hits the road it almost seems that the tv is more of an umbrella organization for lots and lots of different groups with different often conflicting values and ideology…

Not so much a United force with a single set of values and dogma. A local parish was started for the black catholic population in the 30s. Now its emphasis is on immigrants the poor and misfits. The day to day practices are more progressive than say…

Another nearby parish with an affiliated private school whose day to day teachings run closer to center right Protestant mega churches.

Especially in a highly individualistic age with fraying social bonds and massive levels of information and media saturation…

Official dogma interpretations and all that might seem appealing and high level committees still put out announcements doctrinal statements all that…

But at the day to day level it all seems to matter less and less. Factor in fewer believers fewer active church members and the predicted further declines in the younger generations…

I dunno 🤷 seems like there’s more and more conflict fewer thoughtful discussions and less of a point…

The Roman Catholic Church kind of provides a model…

But where the rubber hits the road it almost seems that the tv is more of an umbrella organization for lots and lots of different groups with different often conflicting values and ideology…

Not so much a United force with a single set of values and dogma. A local parish was started for the black catholic population in the 30s. Now its emphasis is on immigrants the poor and misfits. The day to day practices are more progressive than say…

Another nearby parish with an affiliated private school whose day to day teachings run closer to center right Protestant mega churches.

Especially in a highly individualistic age with fraying social bonds and massive levels of information and media saturation…

Official dogma interpretations and all that might seem appealing and high level committees still put out announcements doctrinal statements all that…

But at the day to day level it all seems to matter less and less. Factor in fewer believers fewer active church members and the predicted further declines in the younger generations…

I dunno 🤷 seems like there’s more and more conflict fewer thoughtful discussions and less of a point…
I agree with you there in that last paragraph. I suspect people are not taught to think and so get aggressive. The great thinkers of our day, Peterson, for example, welcomes intellectual challenge.

I dunno 🤷‍♂️

There’s a certain authoritarian streak to modern culture. I think the edges are softer in some other countries but it’s present nonetheless. Frightening…

Where does it say that we must All agree about every single doctrinal issue?

Does it matter that A believes in infant baptism, while B only in adult baptism!

This is only one of many divisions that don’t matter.

But what about salvation.
Where are you prepared to compromise?
If another will not compromise there beliefs, how would you deal with that?

May I suggest that you start reading church history, to find out why different churches exist.
Jn 14:6 the truth is not something but somebody Jesus Christ!
It is unlawful to not accept a doctrine reveled by God thru Christ and proposed for belief by holy mother church! Matt 28:19 eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

Christ and His church are one! (Acts 9:4 eph 5:31 Jn 15:1-5)

The evidence of true faith is humble subjection and obedience to Christ & His holy church!

The rule of faith for Christians is Jesus Christ Jn 14:6 and His church! Matt 18:17 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

True Christians cannot listen to the errors of excommunicated heretics, but we listen faithfully to Christ, in the bosom of holy mother church, the only ark of salvation!
1 pet 3:20-21 matt 18:17 matt 16:18-19 matt 28:19-20 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-23

Only one has authority to found a church Jesus Christ Matt 16:18-29 one is head or the church and shepherd Jn 10:16
All others are sects full of errors the tradition of men

Paul encouraged us this way:

Ephesians 4:3
being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace...

Ephesians 4:13a
...until we all attain to the unity of the faith,
If you have true faith and faith is the basis of unity, then you would not have some 25000 sects but one true church

There is and can only be one true:

One God
One Christ
One Savior
One Spirit
One king
One Mediator
One Christian Religion
One New Covenant
One Church / body of Christ
One teaching Authority of apostles
One Gospel
OneVineyard
One Kingdom
One House of God
One Household of faith
One Baptism
One Redemption
One Justification
One Sanctification
One Salvation

Prophecy of the new covenant and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. (The new covenant church) Jn 15:1-5 (the church is the new Jerusalem the kingdom) gal 4:26 (one church) Jn 10:16

Dan 2: 44 And in the days of these kings (Roman Caesars) shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

Isaiah 2:2
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Micah 4:1
But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.

Daniel 7:18
But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.

Rev 21: 10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Matt 21:43 taken from Israel given to Peter and the apostles Matt 16:18-19 18:18 Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:8
Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.

Jude 1:25
To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Christ is king and has all authority and dominion!

Christ appointed Peter, the apostles, and their successors to govern the church and administer the kingdom until He returns in glory!

Submission and obedience to them is submission and obedience to Christ!

Like Joseph under pharaoh the king and his brothers bowed in obedience to Him as God willed!

But Protestant fundamentalists will not, for satan the first Protestant was in rebellion against God saying: I will not serve! I will not obey!

Generally I find, when coming across this kind of question, what the protagonist really wants is for everyone to agree with him/her. It won't happen, because there seem to be as many interpretations of scripture as there are Christians. So, being an ornery sort of critter, I find I learn from people who agree with me, but learn even more from those who disagree. And that is the best I can offer, by way of a solution to your problem.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Generally I find, when coming across this kind of question, what the protagonist really wants is for everyone to agree with him/her. It won't happen, because there seem to be as many interpretations of scripture as there are Christians. So, being an ornery sort of critter, I find I learn from people who agree with me, but learn even more from those who disagree. And that is the best I can offer, by way of a solution to your problem.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Thanks
We need unity and to eliminate error and confusion

How is our personal interpretation of scripture allowed in view of “scripture alone” or scripture is the only authority?

We must be humble and taught!

Lk 1:4
Matt 28:19
Jn 20:21
Acts 8:31
Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

Does a Christian has the authority to read scripture for yourself and decide your own doctrines or beliefs! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

Pride always protest’s, and is always in rebellion and opposition
Christians on the other hand must conform to Christ and practice His virtues

Yet you are doing just that.
Most posters here are protestant, believers in that anathema of salvation byfaith alone.
Judeb1:3 contend for the faith!
By “hear” I mean not allowed to accept their errors

You’re invited To repent of these errors and believe the gospel and return to thy fathers house lest you die of wretchedness and hunger!

Thanks

Hi donadams

By following the instructions given: make every thought submissive to Christ.

Man's heart is wicked!! Who can know it? When we don't pass everything through the filter of Christ's teachings to us...and obey it...then we become self-centered, rather than Christ centered.

God bless,
Ted

Yes, and before I get labeled a hypocrite, It's a tough ask! I'm as guilty as everyone else at not doing that...a lot! But it is the answer.

God bless,
Ted

Hi donadams

By following the instructions given: make every thought submissive to Christ.

Man's heart is wicked!! Who can know it? When we don't pass everything through the filter of Christ's teachings to us...and obey it...then we become self-centered, rather than Christ centered.

God bless,
Ted
Hi
My communism thread was closed so I’ll reply here
There are several kinds of communisms as you say militant and social or practical
From the communist manifesto the USA has 9 planks that are law!
Womens lib is one of these planks

Yes Christ is the source of all truth and grace!

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

The evidence of true faith is humble subjection and obedience to Christ & His holy church!

The rule of faith for Christians is Jesus Christ Jn 14:6 and His church! Matt 18:17 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

True Christians cannot listen to the errors of excommunicated heretics, but we listen faithfully to Christ, in the bosom of holy mother church, the only ark of salvation!
1 pet 3:20-21 matt 18:17 matt 16:18-19 matt 28:19-20 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-23

2 Thessalonians 1:8
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Rejection of the one true church or its teaching is rejection of Christ and God!

Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 Jn 8:12 & Matt 5:14

This Apostolic Church never turned from the way of truth nor held any kind of error. It is imperative that nothing of the truths which have been defined be lessened, nothing altered, nothing added, but that they be preserved intact in word and meaning. This is the true rule of faith. Pope Agatho

God does not reveal His truth in a vacuum!

God does not set His true adrift on a sea of spiritual anarchy!

God sets His truth in His church, in the possession of His apostles to safeguard, to ensure it is not added to, or taken away from, or changed in any way!

And to teach the same truth to all nations and all ages!

Verified by scripture:

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost!

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints!

2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness!
(all scripture not 66 books alone)

Must be instructed in the faith:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations…

Jn 29:21-23 as the father sent me, so I send you. (Same mission, power, and authority to teach all nations)

Lk 10:16 He who hears you, (His apostles) hear me.

Jn 13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Jn 8:32 You (the apostles) shall know the truth; and the truth shall make you free.

Jn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
(His apostles)

The whole purpose for the church of Jesus Christ is to teach all nations the truths revealed by Christ, with the sanctification and the salvation of souls! Matt 28:19

Hi donadams

From the communist manifesto the USA has 9 planks that are law!

Well, I'm just going to say that your understanding of there even being something called a 'communist manifesto' in the U.S. is a product of a fertile and ill-advised mind.

Listen, I get it. You don't like the government of the U.S. There are times that I'm not in agreement with the direction that our nation is headed in, politically, but I don't go off spouting a bunch of stupid names to call the form of government that just aren't true about the government of the U.S.

But hey, you're free to believe what you believe to be the truth about the matter. But I'm on record that you're wrong in trying to put some label of communism for the United States Government's system of governance. It just ain't so.

God bless,
Ted

Back