Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Biblical vegg-a-mattic!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Don't tell us. Tell Cornelius and his family at Peter's Bible Study in Acts 10.
I don’t see you’re point? Please explain
I'm pretty sure I was responding to this post of yours:
It is a covenant not a Bible study
Cannot enter unless born again regeneration new creation in christ
Jn 3:5 2 pet 1:11
Baptismal regeneration unites us to Christ thru grace and all our actions are meritorious
While at Peter's Bible study, Cornelius and his family were regenerated by the Holy Spirit by simply hearing the word of faith spoken by Peter. But Catholics firmly resist this very Protestant, yet entirely Biblical, way people get born again. I think because it robs the Catholic church of it's control that it is so hated by the Catholic church. People don't need the Catholic church and it's ceremonies and beliefs and practices to be born again. They really don't.

1 Jn 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
Wonderful verse but not sure why you have posted this immedately after, but seemingly not in response to, my post.

I'm pretty sure I was responding to this post of yours:

While at Peter's Bible study, Cornelius and his family were regenerated by the Holy Spirit by simply hearing the word of faith spoken by Peter. But Catholics firmly resist this very Protestant, yet entirely Biblical, way people get born again. I think because it robs the Catholic church of it's control that it is so hated by the Catholic church. People don't need the Catholic church and it's ceremonies and beliefs and practices to be born again. They really don't.
There is nothing Protestant until the 16th century new gospel new churches (30,000) and new doctrine
The normative way is found in Jn 3
Water and the spirit
Not spirit alone and not spiritual baptism see acts 8:36-38

Context of Jn 3:5 “born again”

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the ever Virgin mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

(Key verse! Actions speak louder than words: verse 22)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism / water)

John 4:1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

Born again means Baptismal regeneration!

baptismal regeneration!
A new creation in Christ! 2 cor 5:17
Jn 1 JTB prepared the way by baptism!
Jn 2 the waters of purification are OT prefigurement of baptism!
Jn 3:5 born again means baptism
Jn 3:22 they immediately went to the river! Not to preach “accept Christ as personal lord and savior”
But to BAPTIZE!!!

Thanks

"No cos it's not a Bible study" ?? what?? says the guy who just lists a wall of Bible verses, many of which are misquoted and twisted out of context as his only way to have a 'discussion'.

Paul's letter to the Ephesians was written to an established church of believers and he was was writing to them to remind them of how they were saved - by faith, not through anythign we have done.

As with many of his letters to these early churches, he was keen to warn against the church being infiltrated by false teaching. There is no specific form of false teaching mentioned in Ephesians but given the make-up of the city and its location they would have been exposed to it and it would have posed a risk. Nicolaisim is mentioned specifically in Ephesus in Rev 2:6.

John 3:5: You have quoted this a number of times to support the idea that baptism is some sort of requirement to salvation. I would suggest reading the whole section for context, Jesus is talking about being born again - being born in the Spirit. "Born of water" refers to our natural birth and "born of spirit" refers to the Holy Spirit. See Titus 3:5.

I am not against the idea of baptism at all. Out church has infant baptism and also adult ones but neither of these are crucial or play a part in someone's salvation but is a sign of a parent's intent and wish for their child for an infant baptism or as an outward and public statement of faith and belief for an adult.

Oh yes, waiting on a reply about our friend who went to church and got hit by the car. Don't think I am being frivolous, this is just the sort of question a new Christian or someone looking into Christianity asks.

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the ever Virgin mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism / water)

John 4:1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

baptismal regeneration!
Jn 3:22 they immediately went to the river! Not to preach “accept Christ as personal lord and savior”
But to BAPTIZE!!!

Effects of faith & baptism!

Ez 36:25-27 washed in baptism, with a new heart and the Spirit
Jn 3:5 born again in baptism
Mk 16:16 faith & baptist
Acts 2:38 repentance & baptism
Acts 8:36-38 faith & baptism
Acts 22:16 baptism washes away sin
Rom 6:3 died with Christ
Col 2:12 risen with Christ
1 cor 12:13 baptized into the church
Gal 3:27 by baptism put on Christ
2 Tim 1:10 eph 2:1 and 5 brought to life
2 cor 5:17 new creation
Eph 1:13 sealed by the Holy Spirit
Eph 4:5 one faith, one baptism
Eph 5:26 faith and baptism
Titus 3:5 baptismal regeneration
1 pet 1:2 washed in Christ’s blood
1 pet 2:9 the kingdom of light
1 pet 3:20-21 baptism saves us!

“Faith alone” accomplishes nothing!
1 cor 13:2 even all faith (alone) without charity avails NOTHING!!!

baptismal regeneration!
But to BAPTIZE!!!
John3:5 refers to being born twice: once naturally and once through the faith & the granting of the Holy Spirit.

Please also bear in mind that when John was baptizing two things had yet to occur: Jesus death & resurrection and the bestowing the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

It does not refer to Baptismal regeneration.

John 3:16, Ephesians 2:8-10 are both very clear: Faith in Jesus' death and resurrection in response to God's grace brings salvation.

As a foot note 1:Cor 13:2 is talking about love in action. It makes no mention of charity per se. What you are saying is that we need faith & baptism & charity now for salvation, this is in direct contradiction of Ephesians 2:8-10.. "it is not through works so no one can boast".

God has provided all mankind with the one way through which to have a right relationship with him: the death & resurrection of is Son Jesus. By adding human rituals such as baptism, confirmation, communion and saying that you must do these things to be saved, you are in effect saying to God that what he has done for us isn't good enough.

Our Christian walk is like a train, faith the the starting point, that moment of salvation, it is the engine of our train. Nothing else can travel along the tracks without it. If someone comes to Christ very late in life (please see the earlier example which you have so far studiously ignored) their journey is short but they still get to where God wants them to be.

Our works, the things we do, are the carriages: the display of Christian love, evangelism, serving at church, charity, deciding to be baptised, whatever they are, these are an outworking of a faith, a sign of our salvation. Some of us will have more carriages than others, but still the destination is the same for all of us with that engine of faith.

The works alone, without the engine of faith will never get to the destination, they need that engine to pull them. Just because people go to church and take the sacramants doesn't make them a Christian. As John Chapman once said: Sleeping in a garage doesn't make you a car.

Unless you can reply with an intelligent and meaningful post that isn't an avalanche of misquoted Bible verses, and why not start with my earlier question regarding the man being saved and then hit by a car, this will be my final post on this thread.

Wonderful verse but not sure why you have posted this immedately after, but seemingly not in response to, my post.
It was in Response to someone who said we can do anything to be saved
John3:5 refers to being born twice: once naturally and once through the faith & the granting of the Holy Spirit.

Please also bear in mind that when John was baptizing two things had yet to occur: Jesus death & resurrection and the bestowing the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

John 3:16, Ephesians 2:8-10 are both very clear: Faith in Jesus' death and resurrection in response to God's grace brings salvation.

As a foot note 1:Cor 13:2 is talking about love in action. It makes no mention of charity per se. What you are saying is that we need faith & baptism & charity now for salvation, this is in direct contradiction of Ephesians 2:8-10.. "it is not through works so no one can boast".

God has provided all mankind with the one way through which to have a right relationship with him: the death & resurrection of is Son Jesus. By adding human rituals such as baptism, confirmation, communion and saying that you must do these things to be saved, you are in effect saying to God that what he has done for us isn't good enough.

Our Christian walk is like a train, faith the the starting point, that moment of salvation, it is the engine of our train. Nothing else can travel along the tracks without it. If someone comes to Christ very late in life (please see the earlier example which you have so far studiously ignored) their journey is short but they still get to where God wants them to be.

Our works, the things we do, are the carriages: the display of Christian love, evangelism, serving at church, charity, deciding to be baptised, whatever they are, these are an outworking of a faith, a sign of our salvation. Some of us will have more carriages than others, but still the destination is the same for all of us with that engine of faith.

The works alone, without the engine of faith will never get to the destination, they need that engine to pull them. Just because people go to church and take the sacramants doesn't make them a Christian. As John Chapman once said: Sleeping in a garage doesn't make you a car.

Unless you can reply with an intelligent and meaningful post that isn't an avalanche of misquoted Bible verses, and why not start with my earlier question regarding the man being saved and then hit by a car, this will be my final post on this thread.
not works alone no
Not faith alone either

please explain Jn 3:22
Thanks

See my thread eph 2;8 in the biblical growth and study forum please
Also Lk 1:10-11 says Christ is savior of all men Jn 1:29 too thanks

Back