Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Book that explains how we got our Bible

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

danryanpi

I'm currently witnessing to someone who is making the argument that the Bible was written my men, not by God. I've explained to her that the authors were told by God what to write down, and that the Bible was written over a period of thousands of years over multiple generations, etc. I thought that getting her a book that thoroughly explains how we got our Bible would be a good Idea. Can anyone recommend such a book? I've seen them in the past but I can't recall any titles that come to mind right now. Thanks!

Dan

I'm currently witnessing to someone who is making the argument that the Bible was written my men, not by God. I've explained to her that the authors were told by God what to write down, and that the Bible was written over a period of thousands of years over multiple generations, etc. I thought that getting her a book that thoroughly explains how we got our Bible would be a good Idea. Can anyone recommend such a book? I've seen them in the past but I can't recall any titles that come to mind right now. Thanks!

Dan

A good, and short book is "How We Got The Bible" by Neil R. Lightfoot.

A larger work is "A General Introduction To The Bible" by Geisler and Nix.

Quantrill

2Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The only book I can recommend is The Opened Bible KJV that has a summary beginning in every book that explains the author, date it was written and who Christ is outlined in each book. This Bible is full of all kinds of information and concordances. IMO this would be better as they not only have information, but also have received a Bible from you as a gift. You can find this Bible in any Christian book store or on Amazon.

Dan
Another possible approach is to show her the oodles of fulfilled prophecies, rendering it literally impossible to be written by man.

Dan
Honestly, i do not think a book would help her understand christian spirituality. What would help is if she sought out inspiration and knowledge of the bible through the Holy Spirit. what is the difference between your friend and a theologian, nothing in the natural sense. What matters is what we do spriritually to sek out and understand the texts. Its not quantity that matters but quality when reading.

Dan
This is an excellent book: Henry G. Graham, Where We Got the Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church, Tan Books

The bible has the most antiquities (manuscripts ect.) in ALL of the world. Jesus infact walked the earth, even secular scholars agree and that lots of people in the bible are proven to have existed. There are historical documents, scrolls (not just dead sea scrolls from 1947) and 5,800 fragments (puzzle pieces). With so many of these it is easy to pick out spelling errors by just comparing them.There is a smaller book called, "the Historical Jesus," by Gary Habermas. Why would the disciples be martyred for Jesus if he was not God's son? Why would they be excited about it? 99.5% is compelling especially over thousands of years and the message remains the same.

Back