Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Born of Water and Born of Spirit to enter heaven

skraito

5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

what is born of water and born of spirit here mean by Jesus Christ?

So only those who born of water and spirit can enter heaven.

Hi Guys,

Let me explain john 3:5 what the Lord mean by born of water and born of spirit. As it is so important to our salvation.

Born of water.

The Bible tells us that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God†(Rom 3:23). That is why Jesus said that the only way you can see the kingdom of God is to be “born again†(Jn 3:3).

How can that happen? you ask. Can a person just crawl back into his mother and be born again? someone asked Jesus.

Jesus replied, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God†(Jn 3:5). And He enabled us to be born again of water through water baptism.

The Bible calls baptism the “washing of regeneration†(Titus 3:5) because it effects a spiritual transformation. When you are immersed in the living water, your sinful being dies and is buried, and you are clothed with a new life—the life of Jesus Christ (Col 2:11-13).

So Water baptism is necessary for our salvation as it is during water baptism that your sin is forgiven.

How Can Water Baptism Wash Away Sins?

The Bible tells us that “according to the law almost all things are purged with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission†(Heb 9:22). Any covenant was dedicated with blood. No amount of sacrifice, however, could atone for mankind’s sins and fully restore our relationship with God. The only means of redemption was through the Lord’s own blood (Col 1:14; Rev 1:5). Jesus Christ’s blood seals a new and everlasting covenant between God and His children (Heb 12:24).

If baptism were merely immersion in water, then it would be nothing but a religious rite, since water cannot take away guilt. But the mystery of baptism lies in the profound unity of water, blood, and the Holy Spirit.

After Jesus died on the cross, “one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out. And he who has seen has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you may believe†(Jn 19:34-35).

John, a disciple of Jesus, witnessed how Jesus Christ poured out His blood along with water and opened the fountain of cleansing. He explained the meaning of what he saw:

This is He who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not only by water but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth…there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water and the blood; and these three agree as one (1 Jn 5:6-8).

Baptism is where water and blood come together under the eternal Spirit of God. Jesus Christ arose from death by the Holy Spirit (1 Pet 3:18) to enter heaven as our mediator before God (Heb 9:15, 24). The Holy Spirit, which God gives to believers, testifies that Jesus is alive and that His blood cleanses us (Heb 9:14) today. So while a sinner is immersed in water physically, his spiritual being is being cleansed in the blood of Christ (Heb 10:22: “washed†= immersed).

No sin is too great to be forgiven. God is ready to pardon everyone who turns back to Him and seeks cleansing. But you must first accept Jesus Christ and His gospel of salvation, confess your sins before God, and determine to follow His words.

“Repent,†the apostle Peter tells us, “and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins†(Acts 2:38).

Notice it is not at repent and accepting Jesus Christ our sins are forgiven but through baptism.

So born of water mean water baptism.

How about born of Spirit?

Titus 3:5

New King James Version (NKJV)

5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit

How can we be renew by the Holy Spirit if we dont have Holy Spirit in us? the other question we should ask when actually do i receive the Holy Spirit. Is it when I confess Jesus Christ is saviour? or during baptism or if not when?

The only evidence that someone has received Holy Spirit is when he can speak in tounge. But why some said Speaking in tounge is just a gift and not everyone can speak in tounge. The question should we ask do all speak in tounge if we received Holy Spirit? the answer is Yes all speak in tounge. Those who cant speak in tounge mean they didnt received the Holy Spirit yet.

Another question that we should ask. So many churches today claim they have the Holy Spirit. So which one is right? do they received the same spirit which is Holy Spirit?

John 16:13
However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

Here the Lord call Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth and will guide us into all truth. If someone said baptism is not necessary for our salvation and they claim they received Holy Spirit how is that spirit is the Holy Spirit. For if we do some math calculation 1+1 = 2 and those that said 1+1 = 2.1 although miss by one point one is not the truth.

So Another question that we should ask. Have you really born by water and by Spirit? for those who are not born of water and spirit will not enter heaven. So make sure ure sure with your own salvation.

True Jesus Church tjc.org

There's just no excuse for misinterpreting the "water" of John 3:5 —not when it's clearly identified in the very next chapter during the Lord's conversation with a woman of Samaria.

†. John 4:10-14 . . Jesus replied: If you only knew the gift God has for you and who I am, you would ask me, and I would give you living water.

. . . But sir, you don't have a rope or a bucket; she said; and this is a very deep well. Where would you get this living water?

. . . Jesus replied: people soon become thirsty again after drinking this water. But the water I give them takes away thirst altogether. It becomes a perpetual spring within them, giving them eternal life.

In other words; the water of John 3:5 isn't for laundry, nor is it for bathing, nor for irrigation, nor is it for baptizing. No, it's specifically for drinking; and it's not even a natural liquid; but rather; it's supernatural. In point of fact, it's eternal life.

So then; people lacking eternal life have yet to undergo a second birth as per John 3:3-8. In point of fact, according to God's testimony as an expert witness in all matters pertaining to eternal life, people passing themselves off as His son's followers, while not possessing eternal life, do not have His son; viz: though they be called Christians; they are actually quite christless.

†. 1John 5:9-12 . .We accept human testimony; but God's testimony carries more weight because it's the testimony of God, which He has given about His son . . . And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His son. He who has The Son has this life; he who does not have this life, does not have God's son.

Christians of the opinion that they can have Christ without first obtaining eternal life, openly insinuate that the Bible's God is a person of questionable integrity who cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

†. 1John 5:10 . . Any individual who disbelieves God makes Him a liar, because they haven't believed the testimony God has given about His son.

Christless Christians are in a very bad way.

†. Rom 8:9 . . If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

In other words; Christians lacking eternal life are none of the Lord's sheep; and on top of that; they aren't even believers. In the passages below, note the correlation between belief and eternal life. Also note that the "have" verb is in the grammatical present tense; not future: indicating that believers have eternal life right now— no delay, and no waiting period.

†. John 5:24 . . I tell you the truth: whoever hears my word, and believes Him who sent me, has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

†. John 3:36 . . He who believes in the Son has eternal life

†. John 6:47 . .Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.

†. 1John 5:13 . . I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

In addition, if someone has correctly ingested the Lord's flesh, and correctly imbibed his blood, they too have eternal life.

†. John 6:54 . .Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life

Is living water still available just for the asking? Yes.

†. Rev 22:17 . .The Spirit and the bride say: Come. And let him who hears say: Come. Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

Cliff
/

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to be born from above.

John 3:3:Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Again in Strong's Exhaustive Concordance,Greek is defined as....

509. anothen an'-o-then from 507; from above; by analogy, from the first; by implication, anew:--from above, again, from the beginning (very first), the top.

WHO DID GOD BEGAT?

Exodus 4:22:And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

Whats the truth to me? That the NT teaches water baptism to be " the remission of sins" Acts 2:38. Jesus told His apostles the Holy Spirit would ''teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" Jn.14:26, thus being "born of the water and the Spirit".

There's just no excuse for misinterpreting the "water" of John 3:
It would be hard to miss "water" as referring to anything other than water...
John 3:5

Be born of water
- By “water,†here, is evidently signified “baptism.†Thus the word is used in Eph_5:26; Tit_3:5. Baptism was practiced by the Jews in receiving a Gentile as a proselyte. It was practiced by John among the Jews; and Jesus here says that it is an ordinance of his religion, and the sign and seal of the renewing influences of his Spirit. So he said Mar_16:16, “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved.†It is clear from these places, and from the example of the apostles Act_2:38, Act_2:41; Act_8:12-13, Act_8:36, Act_8:38; Act_9:18; Act_10:47-48; Act_16:15, Act_16:33; Act_18:8; Act_22:16; Gal_3:27, that they considered this ordinance as binding on all who professed to love the Lord Jesus. ~ Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible

John 3:5. There can be no doubt, on any honest interpretation of the words, that γεννηθῆναι ἐξ ὕδατος refers to the token or outward sign of baptism,—γ. ἐκ πνεύματος to the thing signified, or inward grace of the Holy Spirit. All attempts to get rid of these two plain facts have sprung from doctrinal prejudices, by which the views of expositors have been warped. ~ Alford, Great Greek Commentary​

Sorry if I'm being redundant here in anyway or asking any dumb questions, but..

Are you saying that the person isn't actually saved until baptism? What about the guy on the cross that Jesus said would enter the kingdom but wasn't baptized? What about all the times that Paul said if you believe you will be baptized?

What about this passage?

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."

All humans are born of water....if you are not clear on this, check with your wife or mother.

We must be born of the Spirit to be where Jesus is. He has made a place in Zion for those who are born from above (in Zion).

So to be a child of God one must walk in this world AND Zion. This cannot be understood but by those who walk in the Spirit. When we abide in Christ in Zion we are surrounded by grace which makes us walk as Jesus in this world. This is our salvation from this world...that we don't walk as others do but rather in Christ who is our salvation.

Sorry if I'm being redundant here in anyway or asking any dumb questions, but..

Are you saying that the person isn't actually saved until baptism? What about the guy on the cross that Jesus said would enter the kingdom but wasn't baptized? What about all the times that Paul said if you believe you will be baptized?

What about this passage?

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."

Faith + baptism = salvation.By faith we come to know God,and through faith we carry out His wishes.The bible puts a pretty heavy emphasis on baptism.Multiple times youll see (paraphrasing) repent and be baptized.Multiple baptisms were performed which suggests a high priority concerning it.

As far as your concern with Pauls comment,this serves to reinforce the importance of baptism.

The guy on the cross was pardoned by the Savior Himself.Consider also that he was in a situation in which roman troops would not have set him free from crucifixion for 5 minutes to be baptized.Jesus had the authority to set things straight on site.

In Romans 6:3-6,the explanation is given for why this process is important.

Hope that helps.

All humans are born of water....if you are not clear on this, check with your wife or mother.
You misunderstand - the "new birth" has nothing to do with a natural birth. The new birth - the birth from above is "one birth" that consists of two elements - "water and Spirit". Baptism in water is the sign and seal of the renewing influence of the Holy Spirit. Easy concept.

Philip preached Christ to the eunuch - the eunuch believed and confessed, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." Philip immersed the eunuch in water of the H2O variety. The eunuch was born again - one birth - born of water and the Spirit - no amniotic fluid required.
Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, "See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?" Then Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.
(Act 8:35-38 NKJV)​

I may be reaching here, but nowhere in the NT does it say anything absent of baptism is condemnation. Anything absent of faith is condemnation. To be honest, I've done a lot of research on this and reading of the scriptures and I can see where both sides come from. I guess the bottom line is that upong believing one should do this. The reason I asked some questions here was because I was told that if I had not been baptized with the belief that this was needed for salvation then I wouldn't be saved. This, therefore prevented me , or was a hindrance to me in getting baptized.

Bahamas--what about Mark 16:15,16?

Bahama s, your lord said "he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved--" What more do you need?

Whats the truth to me? That the NT teaches water baptism to be " the remission of sins" Acts 2:38. Jesus told His apostles the Holy Spirit would ''teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" Jn.14:26, thus being "born of the water and the Spirit".

Webb,
Is your translation of the Bible so different from my KJV. In my KJV Bible it says in Acts 2:38 that baptism is FOR the remission of sins and then comes the gift of the Holy Ghost. It is very clear. So are you saying that when one feels forgiven, that alone counts as baptism?

Sorry PROVEALLTHINGS, I was trying to make a shortcut in my post. I believe exactly what Peter said and meant that baptism (water baptism) is FOR the remission of sins, and yes, that the gift of the Holy Spirit follows.

BTW, I've left a pm for you which I don't think you've seen as yet.

You misunderstand - the "new birth" has nothing to do with a natural birth. The new birth - the birth from above is "one birth" that consists of two elements - "water and Spirit". Baptism in water is the sign and seal of the renewing influence of the Holy Spirit. Easy concept.

Philip preached Christ to the eunuch - the eunuch believed and confessed, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." Philip immersed the eunuch in water of the H2O variety. The eunuch was born again - one birth - born of water and the Spirit - no amniotic fluid required.
Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, "See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?" Then Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.
(Act 8:35-38 NKJV)​

Jesus is not talking about religious rites...He is explaining actual births...one is natural and the other is supernatural.

Jesus is not talking about religious rites...He is explaining actual births...one is natural and the other is supernatural.
Jesus noted that the new birth includes 'water' - the ordinance of baptism as the sign and seal of the renewing influence of the Holy Spirit. Easy concept. Born of water and the Spirit.

The eunuch experienced that 'new birth' when he believed and was immersed in water...
So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.
The water of baptism as it relates to the new birth is hard to miss unless one chooses to miss it.
And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
(Mat 28:18-20)

Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
(Act 2:38 NKJV)

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Joh 3:3. Jesus referring to being born a second time.
Joh 3:4 Nicodemus thinking in the natural and not understanding how one can be born a second time.
Joh 3:5 Jesus refers to two births (calls one water and one Spirit)
Joh 3:6 Jesus again refers to two births (calls one flesh and one Spirit)
Joh 3:7 Jesus reiterates that you must be born a second time.

Many see "born of water" as the ritual of baptism yet if this is true then Jesus is speaking about being born 3 times (flesh, water, Spirit).

Joh 3:6 clearly shows that Jesus is speaking of only two births, not three. One birth is linked to the flesh while the other is to the Spirit. Thus the water in verse 5 must be natural birth or flesh birth and not baptism.

Here is the contrast in the following verses.
Joh 8:23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.
Joh 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Here John speaks of the ritual and how it is tied to actual repentance but that Jesus would perform a baptism from above.
Mat_3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Which is this...
Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Col 2:13 and Acts 3:19 are very similar in tying the forgiveness of sin together with the refreshing and quickening.

Now with all that in mind. Read this...

2Co 4:10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
2Co 4:11 For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.
2Co 4:12 So then death worketh in us, but life in you.
2Co 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;
2Co 4:14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.
2Co 4:15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
2Co 4:16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
2Co 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
2Co 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

2 Co 4 really paints a clear picture of what true belief and faith is. It is confidently walking in all this. Abiding exactly like what Jesus talks about in John 15. For sure it is something we grow in and that is ongoing. That is why we must add to our faith like Peter said.

Back