Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Can Faith Fail?"

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

iLOVE

Bible question? When we were Born-again we all received a measure of Faith from Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ that is fueled by His Love (Romans 12:3). My question is, can that measure of Faith ever fail?

Bible question? When we were Born-again we all received a measure of Faith from Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ that is fueled by His Love (Romans 12:3). My question is, can that measure of Faith ever fail?
Yea of course! Jesus told in the parable of the different kinds of earth what happens in 4 different kinds of people. Three were saved and believed, had a measure of faith passively given if you will (which I don’t see in scripture but never mind.) Two of them had their faith fail. Gifts given can be lost. Faith can die, it’s called “dead faith.”

Lk22:31,32 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
Jesus here, I believe, proves that faith can fail. Why would He pray that he didn’t want it to happen to Peter if it was not possible for his faith to fail?

What does a measure of faith mean?

My question is, can that measure of Faith ever fail?

If we do not continue to believe, then we no longer have faith that is activated, (alive).

We must continue in the faith and not turn away...

For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end.
Hebrews 3:14

JLB

If we do not continue to believe, then we no longer have faith that is activated, (alive).

We must continue in the faith and not turn away...

For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end.
Hebrews 3:14

JLB
I think we're missing what Romans 12:3 means.

We're equating it with salvation, I think.
It means that God gives us an amount of faith necessary to carry out His plan for us.

So if THAT faith fails, we're still saved, but it has failed in the sense that we did not put it to good use.

It means that God gives us an amount of faith necessary to carry out His plan for us.

So if THAT faith fails, we're still saved, but it has failed in the sense that we did not put it to good use.
Where does Romans say that he passively gives us enough faith to carry out his plan, but if that action nevertheless fails and we stop
having faith (no longer believe,) we are still going to Heaven?

Romans 12:3 ?

If we have faith in Christ for salvation, then we no longer believe in Him, then what becomes of the substance of our salvation we are hoping for?

Paul explains —

Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 1 Corinthians 15:1-2

JLB

If we have faith in Christ for salvation, then we no longer believe in Him, then what becomes of the substance of our salvation we are hoping for?

Paul explains —

Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 1 Corinthians 15:1-2

JLB
A big IF..

Reactions: JLB
Where does Romans say that he passively gives us enough faith to carry out his plan, but if that action nevertheless fails and we stop
having faith (no longer believe,) we are still going to Heaven?
I don't believe Romans 12:3 is speaking about loss of faith or loss of salvation.

It's saying that God gives us enough faith to carry out His plan for us.
Not salvation faith.

Jesus didn't require faith. He is God and God does not need faith.

However, He had faith in His Father's plan.
God, Father, gave Jesus the faith necessary for Jesus to carry out the plan.
Everyone abandoned Him at the end...He needed a lot of that type of faith.

Paul explains —

JLB
I don't believe Romans 13:3 is speaking about salvation faith.
See my post no. 10

Is salvation faith the only type of faith we have?
Or does God gift to us a trust in Him that strengthens us to do His will ?
Trust if faith, faith is trust.

I don't believe Romans 12:3 is speaking about loss of faith or loss of salvation.

It's saying that God gives us enough faith to carry out His plan for us.
Not salvation faith.
Roman’s doesn’t speak of enough faith to carry out God’s plan but the verse you quote says not to think of yourself more highly than you ought. I also see no “salvation faith” as opposed to “carrying out the plan” faith. Faith is always the same and we have a part in exercising and choosing to believe. It isn’t described as something we simply passively receive as though we got lucky. We can neglect it and lose it.
Jesus didn't require faith. He is God and God does not need faith.

However, He had faith in His Father's plan.
I wouldn’t be so quick to decide what Jesus needed.
God, Father, gave Jesus the faith necessary for Jesus to carry out the plan.
How do you know that? Did Jesus say God just gave him faith? Did Jesus have nothing to do or say about it? What about those whose lives DO NOT accomplish God’s plan? How do you explain those?
Everyone abandoned Him at the end...He needed a lot of that type of faith.
He knew they would before hand and said so. Faith was needed to obey. That is when we need faith too. Faith grows by us obeying what He wants us to do. There is a gift of faith, that is truth. But in first believing unto salvation as otherwise, we have a part to play.

I don't believe Romans 13:3 is speaking about salvation faith.

I don’t either.

For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. Romans 13:3

JLB

Is salvation faith the only type of faith we have?

No ma’am.

Faith comes to us when we hear God speak to us.

Faith is activated, (made alive) when we obey what God said to us, what He moved upon us to do.

And suddenly, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came from behind and touched the hem of His garment. For she said to herself, “If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well.” But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, “Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well.” And the woman was made well from that hour. Matthew 9:20-22

God moved upon this woman to do a certain thing, because He desired to see her healed of her infirmity.

When she did what was in her heart, (the word of faith) by pressing through the crowd and touching the hem of His garment, just as God inspired her to do, she was healed.

If she would have remained where she was, and not moved forward to touch His garment, her faith for healing, would have remained dormant, inactive, and ”dead” just as a body without a spirit is incomplete and lifeless.

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26

The “work” James is referring to is: the effort obedience requires.

Paul calls this action; the obedience of faith.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26 KJV

JLB

No ma’am.

Faith comes to us when we hear God speak to us.

Faith is activated, (made alive) when we obey what God said to us, what He moved upon us to do.

And suddenly, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came from behind and touched the hem of His garment. For she said to herself, “If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well.” But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, “Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well.” And the woman was made well from that hour. Matthew 9:20-22

God moved upon this woman to do a certain thing, because He desired to see her healed of her infirmity.

When she did what was in her heart, (the word of faith) by pressing through the crowd and touching the hem of His garment, just as God inspired her to do, she was healed.

If she would have remained where she was, and not moved forward to touch His garment, her faith for healing, would have remained dormant, inactive, and ”dead” just as a body without a spirit is incomplete and lifeless.

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26

The “work” James is referring to is: the effort obedience requires.

Paul calls this action; the obedience of faith.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26 KJV

JLB
Yes sir.
We agree.

Back