Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians are to follow Jesus' steps 1 Pet 2:21, how?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Highway54

The Gospels are the best way to come to know Jesus. They contain a historical account of the life and ministry of Jesus. They show us what he did, said, felt, and taught his followers. In effect, they contain those footsteps we are to follow.

To benefit fully from the Gospels, we must do more than just read them. We need to study them carefully and meditate on them as well. When studying them bring them to life, picture yourself among his disciples as he taught them, and observe the assignments he gave them. Imitate his footsteps in your life. Use your imagination to see, hear, and feel what was happening.

1 Peter 2:19-23
19 For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.
20 For what glory is it, if, when you are buffeted for your faults, you take it patiently? But if, when you do well, and suffer for it, you endure it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
21 For even hereunto were you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow his steps:
22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judges righteously:

So, in context, Peter is talking particularly about following Jesus' steps in regards to patient suffering as a consequence of well-doing. We follow his steps, doing as Jesus did when he suffered for doing what was right, by acting in the manner Peter described of Jesus' conduct. The key, though, is to do so in love, holiness and submission to God. Apart from these things, the disciple of Christ suffers uselessly for doing what is right. See 1 Corinthians 13:1-3, James 4:6-10, 1 Peter 3:10-12.

1 Peter 2:19-23
19 For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.
20 For what glory is it, if, when you are buffeted for your faults, you take it patiently? But if, when you do well, and suffer for it, you endure it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
21 For even hereunto were you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow his steps:
22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judges righteously:

So, in context, Peter is talking particularly about following Jesus' steps in regards to patient suffering as a consequence of well-doing. We follow his steps, doing as Jesus did when he suffered for doing what was right, by acting in the manner Peter described of Jesus' conduct. The key, though, is to do so in love, holiness and submission to God. Apart from these things, the disciple of Christ suffers uselessly for doing what is right. See 1 Corinthians 13:1-3, James 4:6-10, 1 Peter 3:10-12.
Considering our assignment of teaching others to observe all the things Jesus commanded, following his steps is about that sir. He sent us to preach the good news of the Kingdom of God the primary reason he was sent to earth Luke 4:43

Considering our assignment of teaching others to observe all the things Jesus commanded, following his steps is about that sir.

Well, when Peter used the phrase "follow his steps," he was speaking in particular reference to suffering, not teaching. If you want to stretch Peter's meaning out of shape, no one can stop you. But the more you do this with God's word, the more sure you can be that you misunderstand it.

He sent us to preach the good news of the Kingdom of God the primary reason he was sent to earth Luke 4:43

Yes, He did. But using Peter's words about following in Christ's steps in suffering as ground for urging evangelism is bad handling of God's word.

Well, when Peter used the phrase "follow his steps," he was speaking in particular reference to suffering, not teaching. If you want to stretch Peter's meaning out of shape, no one can stop you. But the more you do this with God's word, the more sure you can be that you misunderstand it.

Yes, He did. But using Peter's words about following in Christ's steps in suffering as ground for urging evangelism is bad handling of God's word.

No sir, it is just an opinion. We know that Jesus set the example, and it is true that since we are sinners and he was not, we certainly cannot follow them perfectly, but we should try to do our best at it.

I don't know why you do not think he was an example for us to follow in all things, but I certainly hope I do not follow him in his unimaginable suffering.

No sir, it is just an opinion. We know that Jesus set the example, and it is true that since we are sinners and he was not, we certainly cannot follow them perfectly, but we should try to do our best at it.

I agree with you completely that Jesus is to be our example. Amen. But we are to handle God's word carefully, too. This means, in part, not taking Scripture out of its immediate context and stretching it in order to make it say what we want it to say. There are many places in God's word that speak directly and plainly of the example that Jesus is generally to every born-again believer. But 1 Peter 2:18-24 isn't one of those places. Peter has in mind a very specific respect in which Christ is to be our example:

1 Peter 2:18-24 (NASB)
18 Servants, be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable.
19 For this finds favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a person bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly.
20 For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.
21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,
22 WHO COMMITTED NO SIN, NOR WAS ANY DECEIT FOUND IN HIS MOUTH;
23 and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously;
24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.

As a part of the larger subject of submission of believers to human institutions of authority (1 Peter 2:13-17), in the passage above, Peter was speaking specifically to Christians who were servants (vs. 18). He commanded such believers to "bear up under sorrows when suffering unjustly" (vs. 19), and pointed out that there was no virtue in suffering for sinful behavior (vs. 20). Instead, following in the steps of Christ, the Christians who were servants were to patiently endure suffering for doing what was right, knowing that such suffering found favor with God (vs. 20-21). Peter then described how Christ had suffered, refusing to return evil for evil, bearing the sins of the world upon himself on the cross (vs. 22-24). Following in Christ's steps, then, was, in context, an injunction specifically to Christian house-servants to bear up patiently under unjust suffering.

Peter, then, did not have evangelism in mind in the passage above but how Christians ought to handle unjust suffering (and, more generally, the proper response of Christians to those in authority over them).

I don't know why you do not think he was an example for us to follow in all things, but I certainly hope I do not follow him in his unimaginable suffering.

Nowhere have I ever said that Christ is not the Christian's example. My pointing out what Peter was talking about in no way denies that Jesus is the example to all of his disciples. Why have you jumped to such an unfounded non sequitur concerning my views? See above.

I agree with you completely that Jesus is to be our example. Amen. But we are to handle God's word carefully, too. This means, in part, not taking Scripture out of its immediate context and stretching it in order to make it say what we want it to say. There are many places in God's word that speak directly and plainly of the example that Jesus is generally to every born-again believer. But 1 Peter 2:18-24 isn't one of those places. Peter has in mind a very specific respect in which Christ is to be our example:

1 Peter 2:18-24 (NASB)
18 Servants, be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable.
19 For this finds favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a person bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly.
20 For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.
21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,
22 WHO COMMITTED NO SIN, NOR WAS ANY DECEIT FOUND IN HIS MOUTH;
23 and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously;
24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.

As a part of the larger subject of submission of believers to human institutions of authority (1 Peter 2:13-17), in the passage above, Peter was speaking specifically to Christians who were servants (vs. 18). He commanded such believers to "bear up under sorrows when suffering unjustly" (vs. 19), and pointed out that there was no virtue in suffering for sinful behavior (vs. 20). Instead, following in the steps of Christ, the Christians who were servants were to patiently endure suffering for doing what was right, knowing that such suffering found favor with God (vs. 20-21). Peter then described how Christ had suffered, refusing to return evil for evil, bearing the sins of the world upon himself on the cross (vs. 22-24). Following in Christ's steps, then, was, in context, an injunction specifically to Christian house-servants to bear up patiently under unjust suffering.

Peter, then, did not have evangelism in mind in the passage above but how Christians ought to handle unjust suffering (and, more generally, the proper response of Christians to those in authority over them).

Nowhere have I ever said that Christ is not the Christian's example. My pointing out what Peter was talking about in no way denies that Jesus is the example to all of his disciples. Why have you jumped to such an unfounded non sequitur concerning my views? See above.
Hi Tenchi, I do not disagree with what you are saying I don't think, but am not really sure what you are saying in reality. I am thinking we agree, but not sure if we do. I think it may have either been misunderstood, or overcomplicated, so I will say how I understand it again, and you will either agree or disagree. Jesus left us an example to follow his steps closely 1 Peter 2:21, that means that to the best of our ability, we should conduct ourselves the same way he would have in any given circumstance. Does that make sense sir?

Hi Highway54
Considering our assignment of teaching others to observe all the things Jesus commanded,
I believe that comment needs more context, because Jesus didn't say 'others', he said 'them'. It was a specific group of people he was referencing.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

'Them' is those that have believed the gospel and been baptized. I believe one of the massive misunderstandings of many christians is that we try and get everybody to obey the laws of God, without first teaching them of the love of God that is shown in Jesus. I believe there was a purpose in the order of Jesus' command in this matter. Just as Paul wrote to us that we should have a ready answer for those who ask.

Carry on.

God bless,
Ted

The Gospels are the best way to come to know Jesus. They contain a historical account of the life and ministry of Jesus. They show us what he did, said, felt, and taught his followers. In effect, they contain those footsteps we are to follow.

To benefit fully from the Gospels, we must do more than just read them. We need to study them carefully and meditate on them as well. When studying them bring them to life, picture yourself among his disciples as he taught them, and observe the assignments he gave them. Imitate his footsteps in your life. Use your imagination to see, hear, and feel what was happening.
If we read a biography of Donald Trump will we equally get to know him personally? And can we tell others we know what he does, says, thinks and feels without listening anything he says. Can we use our imagination to fill in the gaps? Would he agree we then know him and can say we’re friends?

If we read a biography of Donald Trump will we equally get to know him personally? And can we tell others we know what he does, says, thinks and feels without listening anything he says. Can we use our imagination to fill in the gaps? Would he agree we then know him and can say we’re friends?
hi Dorothy Mae

Yes, after 6 years of listening to his lies; his derogatory name calling, I think most people can do that. It's not like he's hard to understand or that he somehow hides his emotional train wreck of a life. And honestly, I'd be embarrassed to be known as his friend.

God bless,
Ted

hi Dorothy Mae

Yes, after 6 years of listening to his lies; his derogatory name calling, I think most people can do that. It's not like he's hard to understand or that he somehow hides his emotional train wreck of a life. And honestly, I'd be embarrassed to be known as his friend.

God bless,
Ted
Ah, but the test is being restricted to a biography of him same as the poster thinks reading the biography of Jesus tells you what he thinks and even feels. Just reading a biography alone, no listening to words or watching actual behavior. And what is more, your own imagination without any check of being true or not, is also allowed.

Ah, but the test is being restricted to a biography of him same as the poster thinks reading the biography of Jesus tells you what he thinks and even feels. Just reading a biography alone, no listening to words or watching actual behavior. And what is more, your own imagination without any check of being true or not, is also allowed.
Look Dorothy Mae lets not play so dumb. I don't know of anyone who doesn't listen to his rants, but they are quite predictable. I assumed you were just throwing out some hyperbole, when you said that people weren't listening to his words. How can you not?

God bless
Ted

Look Dorothy Mae lets not play so dumb. I don't know of anyone who doesn't listen to his rants, but they are quite predictable. I assumed you were just throwing out some hyperbole, when you said that people weren't listening to his words. How can you not?

God bless
Ted
Yes I understand, Ted. But that’s not the point. I’ll say the point plainly.

No one reading the New Testament imagining what Jesus did and said will come to know him. No one. What will happen is they form their idea of the man completely from their own thinking and imagination. No interaction with the REAL Jesus needed.

If a good writer writes a biography about you, would you say anyone reading it knows what you think and feel and really knows YOU based on reading that book?

The NT books were written so that we may believe and believing, have life is his name.

Hi Highway54

I believe that comment needs more context, because Jesus didn't say 'others', he said 'them'. It was a specific group of people he was referencing.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

'Them' is those that have believed the gospel and been baptized. I believe one of the massive misunderstandings of many christians is that we try and get everybody to obey the laws of God, without first teaching them of the love of God that is shown in Jesus. I believe there was a purpose in the order of Jesus' command in this matter. Just as Paul wrote to us that we should have a ready answer for those who ask.

Carry on.

God bless,
Ted
make disciples of all nations
Hi Ted, I will try to remember your name sir, mine is Bob. Them was defined in what you posted there sir. The disciples were not preaching to believers, but to those who might become believers. Jesus said: (Matthew 9:12, 13) . . .“Healthy people do not need a physician, but those who are ill do. 13 Go, then, and learn what this means: ‘I want mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came to call, not righteous people, but sinners.”

The sinners are the ones we are sent to Ted.

Yes I understand, Ted. But that’s not the point. I’ll say the point plainly.

No one reading the New Testament imagining what Jesus did and said will come to know him. No one. What will happen is they form their idea of the man completely from their own thinking and imagination. No interaction with the REAL Jesus needed.

If a good writer writes a biography about you, would you say anyone reading it knows what you think and feel and really knows YOU based on reading that book?

The NT books were written so that we may believe and believing, have life is his name.
Hi Dorothy Mae

I suppose that I stepped into the middle of a discussion that has been on going between you and another poster. But be assured that I didn't miss your point. I suppose you've been having a discussion with someone who said that all they know about the Grump is what they've read in books about him. Sorry to have disturbed your discussion.

God bless
Ted

Hi Ted, I will try to remember your name sir, mine is Bob. Them was defined in what you posted there sir. The disciples were not preaching to believers, but to those who might become believers. Jesus said: (Matthew 9:12, 13) . . .“Healthy people do not need a physician, but those who are ill do. 13 Go, then, and learn what this means: ‘I want mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came to call, not righteous people, but sinners.”

The sinners are the ones we are sent to Ted.
Hi Highway54

Yes they were. And Jesus' instructions to them were to do that. But his instruction to teach 'them' all that he had commanded comes after the command to baptize them. So, as I see the process, Jesus wants us all to share the gospel. But to then take the additional time to 'teach them all that he commanded' seems to be reserved for those, to whom we have shared the gospel, and have then accepted and believed it and been baptized. Then we begin the discipling process.

God bless, Bob
Ted

Hi Dorothy Mae

I suppose that I stepped into the middle of a discussion that has been on going between you and another poster. But be assured that I didn't miss your point. I suppose you've been having a discussion with someone who said that all they know about the Grump is what they've read in books about him. Sorry to have disturbed your discussion.

God bless
Ted
You didn’t disturb the discussion. Not at all. I’m grateful for your input.

Hi Tenchi, I do not disagree with what you are saying I don't think, but am not really sure what you are saying in reality. I am thinking we agree, but not sure if we do.

We agree on the truth that Christ is the example all of his disciples are to follow. But I don't agree that this general truth is what Peter was writing about in 1 Peter 2:18-24. I find that Christians these days are often taking verses out of their immediate context and then applying them inappropriately to circumstances and subjects the verses don't actually address. Many times, this results in serious contortions of God's Truth. And so, when I come across such instances, I usually make comment on it - as in this thread. In context, Peter's command to his readers to "walk in his steps" is specifically referring to the Christian patiently suffering unjustly, as Jesus did. To speak of the principle of following Jesus' example in everything, less specific statements to this effect exist in Scripture and should be used rather Peter's very particular application of this principle. Essentially, I'm just urging as careful a handling of God's word as possible.

You make it seem like a bad thing to "follow His steps" in anything but His suffering.
Why?

Back