Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Church Of England Allows Female Bishops

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
1Ti_3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

1Ti_3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
Yup, kind of a big one to overlook, right there. But then this is the same church that was instituted so that a King could divorce his wife because she hadn't bore him a child.

Yup, kind of a big one to overlook, right there. But then this is the same church that was instituted so that a King could divorce his wife because she hadn't bore him a child.
also where the puritans came out of. I have issues with this.

Hey Everyone,

What do you think of the new decision from the Anglican Church regarding female Bishops?

More info:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28300618
Just to be clear, this isn't the Anglican church worldwide. Anglican churches in my city (Sydney) are opposed to this.

Regarding Anglicans in the UK, it doesn't come as a surprise to me. This is the same church that in recent years allowed homosexual bishops. I actually thought women bishops were already allowed.

Hey Everyone,

What do you think of the new decision from the Anglican Church regarding female Bishops?

More info:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28300618
How does this relate to what happened on the Day of Pentecost and in the NT age:

16 But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel:
17 “‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams;
18 even on my male servants and female servants
in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they
shall prophesy (Acts 2:16-18 ESV ).​

How about the possibility that Junia (or Junias) was a female apostle according to Rom 16:7 (NIV) : 'Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was'?

I'm not as convinced as most that women are excluded from public ministry in the church. We'd be in a sad state on many a mission field if women were excluded from public ministry.

Oz

]
A BISHOP must be a man of one wife. I didn't know god changed his mind on lesbians and that type of marriage. my pastor and my demonation allows woman pastors but not bishops based on that verse.

No big deal.
The church has been dead for sometime.

Matthew 5:13; NIV
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses it's saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot".

No big deal.
The church has been dead for sometime.

Matthew 5:13; NIV
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses it's saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot".
So true.

And because of that, I used to think the true church would one day exist underground. But thanks to the mega-church concept, the real church seems to be mingling among what I call the 'church of the world' (the places where the world goes to church). But I'm still optimistically thinking this is only a delay. Those who are committed to God and his truth will still one day cut the ties and 'come out from among them' and start meeting in smaller congregations purposely separated from the mass appeal structure of church these days. :pray Those with sinful worldly appetites simply won't be attracted to it and it will keep them out of the church. I keep thinking/hoping that someday somebody will be raised up to lead a grass roots movement toward this kind of church.

So true.

And because of that, I used to think the true church would one day exist underground. But thanks to the mega-church concept, the real church seems to be mingling among what I call the 'church of the world' (the places where the world goes to church). But I'm still optimistically thinking this is only a delay. Those who are committed to God and his truth will still one day cut the ties and 'come out from among them' and start meeting in smaller congregations purposely separated from the mass appeal structure of church these days. :pray Those with sinful worldly appetites simply won't be attracted to it and it will keep them out of the church. I keep thinking/hoping that someday somebody will be raised up to lead a grass roots movement toward this kind of church.
Maybe you?

But I can't. I'm allergic to grass (grass roots....get it? Okay, not so funny....). Oh, and unequally yoked.

But if a church leader wanted to do that in my community I would support it. I have a meeting place already picked out.
Forget about what you want.
What does God want?
Paul had a situation, it wasn't what he wanted, Moses had a situation, Noel had a situation, Joseph, Daniel, etc...
Are you next?

David Wilkerson heard God calling long before he gave up his comfortable life and went to New York City.
God didn't give up on him.

1Co 11:10 KJV For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

The church will and in some places already does exist underground Jethro.. What we're seeing here is a sham an insult to our savior, sin is acceptable depending on how you present your version, Gods people will come out or.. well you know..

II Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

tob

If the Bible says that a women should not be a pastor then being a Bishop is a slap in God's face.
Kathi,

But is that what the verse is affirming that women should not be bishops?

I find it too easy in the Western, traditional church to discard women in ministry and especially women bishops, based on verses such as 1 Tim 3:2 (ESV) . For an overview of some of the issues in 1 Timothy, I recommend a read of Gordon Fee's article, 'Reflections on church order in the pastoral epistles, with further reflection on the hermeneutics of ad hoc documents'. See: http://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PDFs/28/28-2/28-2-pp141-151_JETS.pdf. All is not as easy as it looks to modern readers to interpret these pastoral epistles and the false teachings being refuted.

In his commentary on the Pastoral Epistles (1&2 Timothy, Titus), Gordon Fee provides this exposition of 1 Tim 3:2 (ESV) , 'the husband of but one wife' as a qualification for overseers/bishops. He wrote:

The husband of but one wife is one of the truly difficult phrases in the PE [Pastoral Epistles] (cf. 3:12; 5:9, of the 'true' widows, and Titus 1:6). There are at least four options: First, it could be requiring that the overseer be married. Support is found in the fact that the false teachers are forbidding marriage and that Paul urges marriage for the wayward widows (5:14; cf. 2:15). But against this is that it emphasizes must and wife, while the text emphasizes one, that Paul, and most likely Timothy, were not married, and that it stands in contradiction to 1 Corinthians 7:25-38 (NIV) . Besides, it was a cultural presupposition that most people would be married.
Second, it could be that it prohibits polygamy. This correctly emphasizes the one wife aspect; but polygamy was such a rare feature of pagan society that such a prohibition would function as a near irrelevancy. Moreover, it would not seem to fit the identical phrase used of the widows in 5:9.
Third, it could be prohibiting second marriages. Such an interpretation is supported by many of the data: It would fit the widows especially, and all kinds of inscriptional evidence praises women (especially, although sometimes men) who were 'married only once' and remained 'faithful' to that marriage after their partner died. This view would then prohibit second marriages after the death of a spouse, but it would also obviously - perhaps especially - prohibit divorce and remarriage. Some scholars (e.g., Hanson) would make it refer only to the latter.
Fourth, it could be that it requires marital fidelity to this one wife (cf. NEB: 'faithful to his one wife'). In this view the overseer is required to live an exemplary married life (marriage is assumed), faithful to his one wife in a culture in which marital infidelity was common, and at time assumed. It would, of course, also rule out polygamy and divorce and remarriage, but it would not necessarily rule out the remarriage of a widower (although that would still not be the Pauline ideal; cf. 1 Cor. 7:8-9, 39-40). Although there is much to be said for either understanding of the third option, the concern that the church's leaders live exemplary married lives seems to fit the context best - given the apparently low view of marriage and family held by the false teachers (4:3; cf. 3:4-5) (Fee 1988:80-81).​

Because of these difficulties in exegesis and exposition of 1 Tim 3:2 (ESV) , I will not be too rigid to adhere to a view that excludes women from the ministry as an overseer/bishop. All is not as clear as it seems in this pastoral epistle. But it has been made to look clean cut by my traditional, evangelical background.

Works consulted
Fee, G D 1985. Reflections on church order in the pastoral epistles, with further reflection on the hermeneutics of ad hoc documents. Journal of the evangelical theological society, 28(2), June, 141-151. Available at: http://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PDFs/28/28-2/28-2-pp141-151_JETS.pdf (Accessed 27 July 2014).

Fee, G D 1988. New international biblical commentary: 1 and 2 Timothy, Titus. W W Gasque (ed). Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers.

Back