Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Common Usage?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
JohnDB,
re: "I have no idea what you are trying to say."

OK, let me repeat:

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who say that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.

6. I'm simply asking if anyone from above might provide examples to support that belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred.

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in on this topic who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who thinks the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time, will have examples to support that position, i.e., that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in on this topic who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who thinks the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time, will have examples to support that position, i.e., that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.
Hi R...
I've been away and can't remember if I've answered to this.
There is a problem present with Jesus saying 3 days and 3 NIGHTS. I can count 3 days but I can't come up with 3 nights.

I do want to make a comment regarding the colloquial expression.
I live in Italy and to say that we want to meet next week ON THE SAME DAY....we say...."meet you da oggi a otto" which means in EIGHT DAYS. I guess because they count the CURRENT day.

If it's Monday and you want to meet next Monday,,,they count it as 8 days. This makes me a little crazy, but when in Rome......

wondering,
re: "There is a problem present with Jesus saying 3 days and 3 NIGHTS. I can count 3 days but I can't come up with 3 nights."

Actually, the problem isn't with the Messiah's forecast of 3 days and 3 nights. The problem is with those who say the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week.

re: "I do want to make a comment regarding the colloquial expression."

Actually, the issue is with regard to the commonality of a colloquial expression, i.e., the commonality of forecasting or saying that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

wondering,
re: "There is a problem present with Jesus saying 3 days and 3 NIGHTS. I can count 3 days but I can't come up with 3 nights."

Actually, the problem isn't with the Messiah's forecast of 3 days and 3 nights. The problem is with those who say the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week.

Actually, the issue is with regard to the commonality of a colloquial expression, i.e., the commonality of forecasting or saying that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.
My comment WAS on the commonality of a colloquial expression...it stated a whole day that is involved with no part of that day occurring.

But, more importantly, when do YOU think the crucifixion took place? On Thursday? Death occuring at 3 pm? How many DAYS would that be?

wondering,

But if the Lord rose that night (after 3rd Day) isn't that the 3rd night? Weren't the guards asleep?

wondering,
re: "My comment WAS on the commonality of a colloquial expression...it stated a whole day that is involved with no part of that day occurring."

But you said:

"I live in Italy and to say that we want to meet next week ON THE SAME DAY....we say....'meet you da oggi a otto' which means in EIGHT DAYS. I guess because they count the CURRENT day. If it's Monday and you want to meet next Monday,,,they count it as 8 days."

And that means that 8 calendar days would be involved. I'm looking for actual examples, i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

re: "But, more importantly, when do YOU think the crucifixion took place?"

I think scripture best indicates a 5th day of the week crucifixion.

re: "Death occuring at 3 pm? How many DAYS would that be?"

That would be involving a part of 1 calendar day and a part of 1 day time of that calendar day.

daninthelions,
re: "But if the Lord rose that night (after 3rd Day) isn't that the 3rd night?

No, not with a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection. Only 2 nights would be involved.

Maybe someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.
rstrats...

IF Jesus rose after 3 days and 3 nights, He would have risen on the 4th day.

3 days and 3 nights is not possible....let's count:

Friday 3pm: day 1
Friday 6pm: day 2 (to Sat. 5:59 pm)
Sat. 6pm: day 3

Some time between Sat. at 6pm and Sunday morning, the resurrection took place.

Friday 6pm to 6am: night 1
Sat. 6pm to 6am: night 1

3 days always involves 2 nights...not 3.

Even if you wanted to believe a different day for the curcifixion, it would always be a problem to deal with 3 days and 3 nights.

In this one instance that you bring up, Jesus said that He would be in the heart of the earth 3 days and 3 nights, but there are other verses that state ONLY 3 days...
John 2:19-21
Mark 8:31

I feel that we should be guided by THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK,,,when the women went to the tomb. The first day of the week was a Sunday...so counting backwards would bring the crucifixion day to Friday,, also confirmed by:
Mark 16:1-2

Beyond this, I really don't know how anyone could be absolutely sure of the correct day. It would seem to be Nissan 14, but this goes beyond my knowledge.

Razeontheroc,
re: " I'm still not sure anyone even understands what it is you're asking for."

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I wonder if anyone from above might provide examples to support that belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred?
Everything that happens either happens in part of the daytime or part of the nighttime, or all of the nighttime or all of the daytime. What are you asking and more importantly------why?

Razeontheroc,
re: " I'm still not sure anyone even understands what it is you're asking for."

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I wonder if anyone from above might provide examples to support that belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred?
Everything that happens either happens in part of the daytime or part of the nighttime, or all of the nighttime or all of the daytime. What are you asking and more importantly------why
wondering,
re: "My comment WAS on the commonality of a colloquial expression...it stated a whole day that is involved with no part of that day occurring."

But you said:

"I live in Italy and to say that we want to meet next week ON THE SAME DAY....we say....'meet you da oggi a otto' which means in EIGHT DAYS. I guess because they count the CURRENT day. If it's Monday and you want to meet next Monday,,,they count it as 8 days."

And that means that 8 calendar days would be involved. I'm looking for actual examples, i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

re: "But, more importantly, when do YOU think the crucifixion took place?"

I think scripture best indicates a 5th day of the week crucifixion.

re: "Death occuring at 3 pm? How many DAYS would that be?"

That would be involving a part of 1 calendar day and a part of 1 day time of that calendar day.
Why is this so obsessively important to you anyway? It seems like straining out knats and swallowing camels to me.

wondering,
re: "3 days and 3 nights is not possible...."

Not with a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection - at least not if the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb. However, there are some who do believe the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and also believe that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

So how do they account for the lack of a 3rd night?

Well, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I have in the back of my mind that someone may have said that the Messiah had been employing common figure of speech or colloquial language of the period.

So for the purpose of this topic I'm simply curious if it indeed was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

Boaz,
re: "How could you possibly need mote examples than Parker gave?"

I haven't seen where he provided any examples where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have been. What do you have in mind?

Boaz,
re: "What are you asking..."

Point #6 in post #141. You even quoted it in your post #154.

re: "...and more importantly------why"

Simply curious.

atpollard,
re: "Like Esther (already mentioned in the thread)."

Esther isn't an applicable example because nothing in the account prohibits at least a portion of 3 daytimes and at least a portion of 3 night times.

Back