Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Contradicting Beliefs

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Can people or groups of people hold to contradicting beliefs on how to become a Christian/how to be saved [and other bible issues] yet all of them be biblically right/be "in truth" amid that contradition and conflicting beliefs?

A thought that comes to mind is if we are discussing our beliefs about "how to be saved" are we not injecting a "how to" viewpoint? Can we choose to be saved by our actions or by our beliefs?

A thought that comes to mind is if we are discussing our beliefs about "how to be saved" are we not injecting a "how to" viewpoint? Can we choose to be saved by our actions or by our beliefs?

Yes, there are literally thousands of religious groups that all have there varying "how to" viewpoints regarding salvation (becoming a Christian), worship and other bible issues.

So can they all be contradciting and conflicting each other with their "how to" viewpoints and yet all still be "in truth" and all be saved?

Can one be saved by faith only or by a working faith?

Does Christianity have a Pope or not?

Does the church use IM or not?

Is there eternal security or not?

Is there purgatory or not?

Is there original sin or not?

Does God still perform miracles today through men or not?

Is water baptism necessary to be saved or not?

Was Joseph Smith an inspired man of God or not?

Are there still apostles today or not?

I could go on with an almost endless list of all the contradictions. It seems in todays religious world in this country it is generally accepted that you can be saved (become and Christian) and worship by doing or thinking what ever you personally want to. There is no standard to go by just do as you please, just go by your own feelings and viola, you are now a Christian.

So can all these religious groups be contradicting each other and yet somehow all still be right, be in the truth?

Can people or groups of people hold to contradicting beliefs on how to become a Christian/how to be saved [and other bible issues] yet all of them be biblically right/be "in truth" amid that contradition and conflicting beliefs?

I am sure this will bring some withering fire, but...

The short answer is no. Christ called the church a little flock, persecuted and suppressed by organized religion. There is one true church, the ekklesia, and it must believe and practice what God teaches.

OK, flame on.

Regardless of what a specific groups views on salvation if it cannot be solidly backed up with scripture it is heresy, pure and simple. And by solidly backup by scripture I mean to look at the scripture IN CONTEXT, not taking it out of context and twisting into whatever your preconceived notion is.

This is a huge problem with many denominations.

No, they cannot all be right.
But as humans, we cannot all agree as to what is right.
Just look at all the doctrine that is discussed on this forum.
It's difficult to get more than 2 or 3 people to agree on anything.
The true church will get it right when Jesus returns.

Yes; the differences among Christians are over nonessential beliefs. Essential beliefs unite Christians. It is not required that Christians correctly identify the essential beliefs as such, only that they share them. Now go fight amongst yourselves.;)

Regardless of what a specific groups views on salvation if it cannot be solidly backed up with scripture it is heresy, pure and simple. And by solidly backup by scripture I mean to look at the scripture IN CONTEXT, not taking it out of context and twisting into whatever your preconceived notion is.

I agree with you but I also think we get confused about what is truth and what isn't even when we read it in the scripture. As I read through the threads in these forums I can see people making a statement with scripture to back it up and then I see an opposition view presented in the same way. Ultimately, one of them will claim to have the truth and refer to all others as spreading false doctrine. Who really is correct? Consider our many various translations of the Bible. They all claim to reference the original text but anyone that has ever translated anything from one language to another will attest that it is impossible to correctly translate everything without some variation. In some cases, there are no words that can be used to convey the same thought. With that said, even if we are all fluent in all the ancient languages of the old text none of us would agree completely on the translation and that's why we have teams of people that collaborate to create the translations we have today. Even despite this, we can argue about which translation is most accurate.

I figure the best I can do is read the scripture and trust the Holy Spirit will impress the meaning upon my heart.

I am sure this will bring some withering fire, but...

The short answer is no. Christ called the church a little flock, persecuted and suppressed by organized religion. There is one true church, the ekklesia, and it must believe and practice what God teaches.

OK, flame on.

I would agree. People cannot hold to contradicting beliefs and all be in truth for truth does not contradict itself. If all the contradicting ideas made one a Christian then God is the author of confusion and people's conflicting opinons and not God's word becomes the standard to go by to become a Christian ad not the bible.

There is a conflict over how scriptures are interpreted. Some interpet them to read faith only saves others an obedient working faith saves. Both cannot be right so both cannot make one a Christian. The same is true on all the other contradicting issues I listed above in another post of mine, post #3.

So looking in my local 'yellow pages' under the terms 'churches' I find Baptist, Christian Church, Christ Temple Apostolic Church, Christian Life Way, church of Christ, CHurch of the Living God, Church of Zion and I have not even made a dent into the list with there being pages more of 'churches' listed. So members of all these cannot all be Christians, unless one wants to argue that contraidicting beliefs is what makes one a Christian and not God's word.

No, they cannot all be right.
But as humans, we cannot all agree as to what is right.
Just look at all the doctrine that is discussed on this forum.
It's difficult to get more than 2 or 3 people to agree on anything.
The true church will get it right when Jesus returns.

That can only mean there are many, many people who think they are Christians but are not.

Yes; the differences among Christians are over nonessential beliefs. Essential beliefs unite Christians. It is not required that Christians correctly identify the essential beliefs as such, only that they share them. Now go fight amongst yourselves.;)

You will have conflicting beliefs over what is essential and what is not essential.

That can only mean there are many, many people who think they are Christians but are not.

Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

This one will probably bring some discussion also; but here goes...

The one recurring theme is the Spirit of God dwelling in us.

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
Act 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

The Holy Spirit is only given by the laying on of hands of one who has the Spirit. So there must be an unbroken chain from Pentecost, 31 AD until the present and the one who baptizes must have the Spirit and lay hands on the one baptized and ask that the Spirit be given to that person.

I agree with you but I also think we get confused about what is truth and what isn't even when we read it in the scripture. As I read through the threads in these forums I can see people making a statement with scripture to back it up and then I see an opposition view presented in the same way. Ultimately, one of them will claim to have the truth and refer to all others as spreading false doctrine. Who really is correct? Consider our many various translations of the Bible. They all claim to reference the original text but anyone that has ever translated anything from one language to another will attest that it is impossible to correctly translate everything without some variation. In some cases, there are no words that can be used to convey the same thought. With that said, even if we are all fluent in all the ancient languages of the old text none of us would agree completely on the translation and that's why we have teams of people that collaborate to create the translations we have today. Even despite this, we can argue about which translation is most accurate.

I figure the best I can do is read the scripture and trust the Holy Spirit will impress the meaning upon my heart.

I would like to say that it is not my purpose in this thread to say 'this group is right and those groups are wrong' but it is my purpose to show the impossbility that they can all be right and all be real Christians. Baptists, Methodist, Catholics, Presbyterians, Episcopal, Assemblies of God, church of Christ, Church of God, Latter Day Saints, Jehovah's Witnesses, Lutherans, Mennonites, Pentecostals, Seventh Day Adventists, etc ete cannot all be Christians. All these groups believe things contradictory to each other, even on very basic issues. If one argues they can all be Christians then they are either saying God's word contradicts itself in what makes one a Christian or they are saying man's varying, contradicting opinions and not God's words determines what makes one a Christian.

Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

This one will probably bring some discussion also; but here goes...

The one recurring theme is the Spirit of God dwelling in us.

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
Act 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

The Holy Spirit is only given by the laying on of hands of one who has the Spirit. So there must be an unbroken chain from Pentecost, 31 AD until the present and the one who baptizes must have the Spirit and lay hands on the one baptized and ask that the Spirit be given to that person.

You will have controversy and contradiction over this.

There is a conflict over how scriptures are interpreted. Some interpet them to read faith only saves others an obedient working faith saves. Both cannot be right so both cannot make one a Christian. The same is true on all the other contradicting issues I listed above in another post of mine, post #3.

So looking in my local 'yellow pages' under the terms 'churches' I find Baptist, Christian Church, Christ Temple Apostolic Church, Christian Life Way, church of Christ, CHurch of the Living God, Church of Zion and I have not even made a dent into the list with there being pages more of 'churches' listed. So members of all these cannot all be Christians, unless one wants to argue that contraidicting beliefs is what makes one a Christian and not God's word.

That was my point. When you come to a difference in doctrines you must go back to the bible and the specific scriptures your doctrine was based on and be sure that the verses are not being taken out of context. That is fundamental issue when it comes to differing views on doctrines is one or more parties is taking a verse, or group of verses, out of context and twisting it to fit what their preconceived doctrine is instead of reading the scripture in context and deriving the doctrine from there with the help of the Holy Spirit guiding your understanding.

Truer words have not been spoken as of late.

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Back