Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Creme Brulee or Chocolate Mousse?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JohnDB

Got a dinner party this weekend...
And I am trying to decide which of these two desserts to make.

And can I find the recipe I've used in the past?

Good desserts are as much passion and cravings for particular flavors as anything else.

Okay
For the Creme Brulee
1 C egg yolks
1 Qt heavy cream
1 ⅓ sugar
Vanilla bean
More sugar

Beat yolks with 1/3 cup of sugar till frothy.
Heat 1C of sugar and qt of cream and vanilla bean (split and insides scraped out and put into cream) to boil...remove from heat and combine slowly by tempering eggs into the cream. Place in ramekins
Bake in a water-bath @325 for 40 mn.
Cool....burn the sugar and enjoy.

And recipe for the chocolate mousse...
I use one envelope of gelatin so that the leftovers will hold for a couple of days and stability in case something happens.

12 oz good chocolate 55% or darker
1C egg yolks
1½ C heavy cream with 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 c Kahlua
1/4 c strong coffee (Expresso works great)
1 envelope plain gelatin
4 egg whites with 1/3 cup of sugar.

Melt the chocolate over a double boiler (I use a metal bowl over a pot of water)

Combine eggs, coffee, gelatin, and Kahlua and cook over a double boiler using a whisk to whip it the whole time until it's cooked and looks like pudding. (It will be akin to a cooked foam) Whisk in the melted chocolate until smooth. Then take egg whites and sugar and beat to medium soft peaks. Fold these in, in 2 stages. (Work quickly on this) ⅓ to start, then the rest. Whisk if necessary to ensure smoothness. Whip 1 cup of cream to stiff. Fold this in until smooth.
Pour mixture into sherbet glasses, coffee cups, or serving bowl and let set until cold. Use remaining cream (plus a little sugar) for whipped cream to top each serving just before serving.

Enjoy

PS...you can up the Kahlua just a tad... maybe another ¼ cup....but don't go beyond or else it won't set up right and be too boozy for everyone to enjoy that might not drink adult beverages.

john
are you a former chef?
i cook almost every day but never desserts
Yeah,
I'm quoted and pictured in cookbooks...worked theater district Manhattan...four star/five diamond places. Trained by some of the top chefs in the world...worked under some others. (Michelin)

But I've recovered from the lifestyle. Now I have had several careers since. I'm one of those weird people who have had several careers. Currently I'm an industrial/commercial construction Electrician... meaning that I'm the top level of Electrician.

No matter what...they can't take away what you know.
A lot of this stuff I've done in the kitchen has been too long ago... some of it is rediscovery for me. And without a commercial kitchen to work in...it's been an adventure.

And I can intelligently rewrite recipes to suit me and my style of food. (Hey, I was in charge...it was all about my flair the crew had to follow...it was what they paid me for)

These days I cook to make gifts and entertain friends.

Yeah,
I'm quoted and pictured in cookbooks...worked theater district Manhattan...four star/five diamond places. Trained by some of the top chefs in the world...worked under some others. (Michelin)

But I've recovered from the lifestyle. Now I have had several careers since. I'm one of those weird people who have had several careers. Currently I'm an industrial/commercial construction Electrician... meaning that I'm the top level of Electrician.

A lot of this stuff I've done in the kitchen has been too long ago... some of it is rediscovery for me. And without a commercial kitchen to work in...it's been an adventure.

And I can intelligently rewrite recipes to suit me and my style of food. (Hey, I was in charge...it was all about my flair the crew had to follow...it was what they paid me for)

wow John
thats impressive!!

Yeah,

Really?? I never knew that that's cool! :cool

Back