Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Deep, Dark WIndows 10 Secret

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Vince

Folks, I'm going to let you in on a deep dark secret about Windows 10 forums that few readers know: Most of their solutions don't work.

Windows 10 is designed to be an upgrade to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. In addition, some people have installed it on souped-up computers designed for Vista and even XP. The result? No operating system in history has ever been loaded on so many different types of machines. The results? There are many possible causes, and therefore many possible cures, for problems.

I have seen extremely-complicated cures posted for problems, and I posted simple cures for the same problems. Most of the time, neither cure works, although all of them work some of the time.

Recently, I solved a complicated problem with a simple solution. Another poster explained that my solution was only a work-around that did not really solve the problem However, his complicated solutions (He had posted several) did not work, while mine did.

About 1/4 of Windows users in the US are using Windows 10, and most of them are having no serious problems.

Could you give an example, cuz what you have posted so far is rather meaningless. I for one have not had any problems with Windows 10, and have it on two computers. One I built, and the other is a laptop.

Knotical, I have 10 on three laptops with no problems, and on a desktop with a few minor issues.

A common problem is the Start Button and Cortana not working. A major problem is the Blue Screen of Death frequently appearing. Some high-tech software, often games, will not run on 10, even though it ran well on 7 or 8.

Hmmm, I completely shut off Cortana so I can't say I have had any problems with that. As for games, I do not play anything really processor heavy, or memory heavy for that matter.

What games are you playing?

Knotical, I have 10 on three laptops with no problems, and on a desktop with a few minor issues.

A common problem is the Start Button and Cortana not working. A major problem is the Blue Screen of Death frequently appearing. Some high-tech software, often games, will not run on 10, even though it ran well on 7 or 8.
Games and the absolute best and most used, worldwide, Graphics Editing Software, GIMP, can have and much more oft than should, have issues never before present on any windows system.

After completing a requested upgrade to 10, on his Toshiba Lap Top, by one i do support for a graphic project for the company he works for was being completed in GIMP when the program, without warning closed. all but the last, less than, sixty seconds had been saved to the file. When GIMP was restarted and he attempted to reload the file, it was no longer to be found on his system.

On my version of ten I have replaced the start menu with the free vintage Classic Shell because it is much more reliable than the one MS thinks is the solution and I never, never try to use Cortana. MS should have licensed from Apple before trying to copy them without using the tried and proven.

Hmmm, I completely shut off Cortana so I can't say I have had any problems with that. As for games, I do not play anything really processor heavy, or memory heavy for that matter.

What games are you playing?
LOL! With twelve gig and I still cannot get 10 to play Zuma Delux, it is a simple marble puzzle game and on the same HP runs as though it were native under Linux with Wine loaded. It is not a resource issue.

Upgraded to 10 on the desktop, had to revert back because the hardware was too old to handle some of the needed drivers.

Upgraded to 10 on the desktop, had to revert back because the hardware was too old to handle some of the needed drivers.
QD,
Perhaps the single best selling feature for Open Source Operating Systems is it's compatibility factor and the lack of the same in windoze. Couple that with the ability to use windoze drivers when need by placing them in a wrapper, provided by the never sleeping world-wide, twenty-four-hour free support, whereas MS charges fees for support that send, even the devoted, to a shop nearby and it is why MS is slowing in growth and why all one thousand and better flavors of Linux are gaining speed in growth. Then throw in that nearly all Linux systems are free and it is hard to beat.

@thlb.taylor, could the issue be PEBCAC in nature? :wink
Not after hours I spent analyzing the issue and except a comment like that comes from another technician of close ties, that is a fight starter. I have been looking for solutions, short of reverse engineering, since MS pushed 8 and I do not mean 8.1 out the door without listening to the people testing the software. I watched the Insider Program but had quit beta testing when MS dumped 7 in the trash and push the cosmic abortion given the name out the door. The original system, I have a hard time recalling but I think Saddleback was dumped just before it was ready to complete. If Bill had dstill been in charge he would have fired the entire branch for gross stupidity, I do remember the thousands of hours of code dumped, code that worked.

I use Classic Shell too. I like the interface so much better. And, disabled Cortana.

When I recently replaced my laptop with an HP with Windows 10, I had trouble with several of my older programs I loaded. Took me awhile to track down all the driver updates I needed. Works fine now, I like it.

I use Classic Shell too. I like the interface so much better. And, disabled Cortana.

When I recently replaced my laptop with an HP with Windows 10, I had trouble with several of my older programs I loaded. Took me awhile to track down all the driver updates I needed. Works fine now, I like it.
LOL! Good Mike, proving a dedicated tech can and will work past any issue. But what I took away from Vinces post was the same thing I concluded on my own at the Insider Forums, not a good place for the average windoze user anyway is that where one person finds a workaround that is useful on his personal unit, loaded exactly as his is loaded it will never of necessity work on you machine even if it is the same model and brand. Your might not have, exactly, the same software on board and therefore the Registry, the Black Plague of only windoze computers might not look the same, changing everything, it seems.

At least that is the experience of every former windoze tech I have conversed with about the matter. If I'm wrong (High Probability) there are hundreds of thousands more that are all wet with me.

The bootloop problem is one.
No argument at all! When they dumped all that work they were also dumping every issue except the DOS hole that has developed with the kernel since the early DOS System. I was just as floored as Mary Jo Foley when they did that. Short of using the Unix/Linux Kernal, getting rid of the ever attackable registry would make the system so stable Linux could never gain another inch into their market, but! And the longer they do business this way the more the Linux systems grow. With the under reported move of the World Wide Duetch Bank single day switch of about thirty thousand units switched from windows to Ubuntu without any major issues, the more companies learn of it and the cost savings in purchasing software and replacement units, I look for MS to wake up one day in a panic. Quite a few governments have made the switch and I do not know but have heard rumor that NASA runs the Space Craft systems on Linux because of the security built in out of the box.

I have been running since 07 and still do not run antivirus.

...Some high-tech software, often games, will not run on 10, even though it ran well on 7 or 8.
And for a lot of us, this is a major problem that literally renders our computers useless for what we mainly wanted them for without even adding anything at all of real value.

I play Diablo 3 a lot. I runs well on 10, except that in one area it always locks up. They have even discussed it on the Diablo 3 forums. Designed for Windows 7, it runs well on Windows 8 on another partition.

A fortunate fluke with Win 10 is that it suddenly plays older games that won't play on 7 or 8.

And a suggestion: If your business is dependent on a single computer, don't upgrade that computer to 10. For about $250 US, you can buy a good Win 10 laptop, which is a lot cheaper than ruining your business.

A fellow just posted on another forum that his church computers were upgraded from 7 to Windows 10 without their knowledge. They were running an obsolete church program for membership, and the program won't work on 10. It is no longer supported, and he can't get it to run on 10.

Folks, if a computer is essential to your business and it works fine, don't upgrade it to 10!

I recently found the most popular unofficial Chrome forum on the web. It has few posts and some of its topics haven had a post since February. Meanwhile, the Windows 10 forums are full of problems that the writers can't solve.

I recently found the most popular unofficial Chrome forum on the web. It has few posts and some of its topics haven had a post since February. Meanwhile, the Windows 10 forums are full of problems that the writers can't solve.
I still have an active Insiders Membership but I, long ago, stopped testing for them. When the program that was meant to be Windows 7 was placed in file thirteen and they married Vista to XP and trashed the new kernel, I was finished and moved to linux somewhere in there.

Back