Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Dispensationalism

Do you believe that there are distinct dispensations?

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
B

brettsamuel

Is it worth discussion?

Here is what I have heard,

1st Dispensation - Innocence
2nd Consciousness
3rd human government
4th promise
5th law
6th grace
7th kingdom/judgement

this should span a period of 7000 years.

Dispensationalism is a valid form of theology, what would you like to know about it? Many people use Scofield's 7 dispensations but see more and before Scofield and Darby others seen fewer dispensations.

Elements of Dispensationalism...

Justin Martyr (110-165) Dialogue with Trypho

Irenaeus (130-200) Refers to four principal covenants given to the human race.

Clement of Alexandria (354-430) Identified dispensations Adamic, Noahic, Abrahamic, Mosaic.

Augustine (354-430) distinguishes between 'former dispensations.'

Ryrie concludes, "It is not suggested nor should it be inferred that these early church fathers were dispensationists in the modern sense of the word. But it is true that some of them enunciated principles which later developed into dispensationalism...."

Dispensationalists

Pierre Poiret (1637-1716) A Compleat History or Survey of All the Dispensations

Isaac Watts (1674-1748) Similar to the Scofield Bible except for the omission of the Millennium that Watts didn't consider a dispensation.

J. N. Darby (1800-1882)

C. I. Scofield (1843-1921)

1Co 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
Col 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

Only verses in NT that speak of dispensations.

greek word OIKONOMIA
=administration (of a household or estate); specially, a (religious) "economy":--dispensation, stewardship.

Dispensation is defined as a 'distinguishable economy in the outworking of God's purpose.' The word is oikonomia, which means 'stewardship' and this word is found in Luke 16:2, 3, 4; 1 Cor. 9:17; Eph. 1:10, 3:2, 9; Col. 1:25 and 1 Tim. 1:4.

We see the history of dispensational thought is not much younger then your Covenant theology evenman...Pierre Poriet (1646-1719 dispensational) Johann Bullinger (1504-1575 covenant theology). Unless you think a Christian needs to follow the sabbath, God does work out his purpose with different programs and we agree. I have found many problems with covenant theology but when I started a thread on the topic I had no takers...unless you would like to open it up again. :angel:

Scofield

PS: It's dispensational to believe babies can not be baptized...keep that in mind. That is another problem covenant theology, the picking and choosing to follow what one wishes then what one ought.

Dispensations

While "dispensation" is the popular phrase, I prefer "administrations."

To me "dispensation" means the process of dispensing.

One chart I have, "The Divine Calendar", shows 12 different administrations or phases of God's dealings with mankind.

God bless, Bick

Back