Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do you interpret hell as a place of eternal torment or were you burn out of existence

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Ervin

To me God feels like someone who would not burn someone for eternity. I like the interpretation were Christians believe that hell is a place were you burn up out of existence. From my memory the revelations talks about second death. Even if someone was to guarante me that I am not going to hell for sure I still don't want it to exist. Not for anyone and I literally mean anyone.

But my reasoning could be wrong and somehow eternal burning is justified but I still don't see it happening. Like I said I am not a Christian, not yet anyway but that something that I like about the Bible. That you can interpret it as no eternal torment.

But if Christianity is true faith than you are the ones filled with holly spirit and therefore you might be better at understanding God than me.

Thanks

Re: Do you interpret hell as a place of eternal torment or were you burn out of exist

All I know for sure is that I would not want to be there.

Re: Do you interpret hell as a place of eternal torment or were you burn out of exist

Ervin,

There is evidence for both sides of the argument to be found in scripture. And either side can make a good case for what they believe.

But it is all belief, no one KNOWS for sure. I have come to believe that it is supposed to be that way. But even THAT thought is just a belief.

Since you asked what I believe, I'll tell you. "Wages of sin are Death, the gift of God (in Jesus) is eternal life."

Ervin,

There is evidence for both sides of the argument to be found in scripture. And either side can make a good case for what they believe.

But it is all belief, no one KNOWS for sure. I have come to believe that it is supposed to be that way. But even THAT thought is just a belief.

Since you asked what I believe, I'll tell you. "Wages of sin are Death, the gift of God (in Jesus) is eternal life."

You supprise me?:sad
God is love. Now lets just say that 'i' am what I am & end up in hell. Then there is another, you. Both of us are in hell, OK?? Now, how could I not be the exceedingly.. & much more guilty than you?? Yet, you still think that God is love by letting you burn right along beside of me ETERNALLY?? (+ having IMMORTALITY??)

Just a couple verses. Luke 12 & Obad. 1:16 (and I can assure you that Obadiah has me included there if that the case!)

Luke 12
[47] And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
[48] But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Obad. 1
[15] For the day of the LORD is near upon all the heathen: as thou hast done, it shall be done unto thee: thy reward shall return upon thine own head.
[16] For as ye have drunk upon my holy mountain, so shall all the heathen drink continually, yea, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been.

--Elijah

Last edited by a moderator:

The Bible speaks of a literal burning hell in several places.
If it was just, we cease to exist...that wouldn't be bad, not bad at all. There are people who would love to have the chance to not exist.

While I don't know exactly why God would send people to hell...I think of it, if they reject God, they wouldn't be happy in Heaven, either, y'know?

In any case, we all know that hell is a place we don't want to go to.

Oh yeah, and nice to meet you, Ervin. :)

I only want to change one word in your title. I'd like to change torment to punishment. I believe it's literal and it's eternal.

The Lord Jesus spoke more than enough on the eternal damnation. It's a forever and ever and eternal place.

The Lord Jesus spoke more than enough on the eternal damnation. It's a forever and ever and eternal place.

If that is understood correctly then God lies in saying that only He has immortality. So who does one believe seems very 'open documented'. Eccl. 12:13-14

If that is understood correctly then God lies in saying that only He has immortality. So who does one believe seems very 'open documented'. Eccl. 12:13-14
Elijah, I'm sorry but I very seldom understand your riddles. Does this statement mean you don't believe in eternal life or punishment?
Westtexas

To me God feels like someone who would not burn someone for eternity. I like the interpretation were Christians believe that hell is a place were you burn up out of existence. From my memory the revelations talks about second death. Even if someone was to guarante me that I am not going to hell for sure I still don't want it to exist. Not for anyone and I literally mean anyone.

But my reasoning could be wrong and somehow eternal burning is justified but I still don't see it happening. Like I said I am not a Christian, not yet anyway but that something that I like about the Bible. That you can interpret it as no eternal torment.

But if Christianity is true faith than you are the ones filled with holly spirit and therefore you might be better at understanding God than me.

Thanks

I think hell is how we feel after we sin. It doesn’t last forever unless we never stop sinning.

You supprise me?:sad .....and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been.

--Elijah
Oh, I just didn't want to argue, that's all.

I am confident you and I are on the same page here!!!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Elijah, I'm sorry but I very seldom understand your riddles. Does this statement mean you don't believe in eternal life or punishment?
Westtexas

I believe that none of creation are immortal. And that God will have some saved eternally, & the tree of life will be restored to give them immortality.

And that the lost of mankind, will be executed in what is called hell. Eternally blotted from the universe.

Hell is temporary. It exists for now, only untill the Judgement seat of Christ.

Eternal punishment/torment/separation/damnation from God, will happen.
It occurs in Rev 20:15.

There are two ways to deal with this.

First... accept Jesus as your Saviour and follow Him and His words.

Second...No sorry, there is ONLY one way...through Jesus.

Ervin,

Agreed. It's all a matter of interpretation and unfortunately we are all subject to it. There is a case to be made for spending eternity in hell, although I think it is largely misconstrued and misunderstood by many Christians, and there is a case to be made for annihilation.

Thanks
Nobody likes the idea of hell, at least no one should. But that does not mean it doesn't exist. However, it is my opinion that there is a lack of understanding about what hell is and what goes on there.

If hell is for eternity, I do not think that there is some sort of eternal torture or physical torment:

Luk 12:43 Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes.
Luk 12:44 Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions.
Luk 12:45 But if that servant says to himself, 'My master is delayed in coming,' and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and get drunk,
Luk 12:46 the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces and put him with the unfaithful.
Luk 12:47 And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating.
Luk 12:48 But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more. (ESV)

It would seem that there are degrees of physical punishment, just as it seems that for the believer there are degrees of reward:

1Co 3:12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw--
1Co 3:13 each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.
1Co 3:14 If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire. (ESV)

What is worth noting is that the unbeliever spends eternity apart from God, whether it's in hell or simply not existing, and the believer spends eternity with God.

Therefore, any concept of an eternal hell for unbelievers needs to take into account that there seems to be limited physical punishment. Any "eternal torment" then, would likely be regret and mental anguish over what is instead of what could have and should have been. I think at the judgement seat all things will become clear--the clear evidence for the existence of God, the pursuit by God and love of God, all rejected for the purpose of serving self and seeking pleasure--and the unbeliever will know that they got what they deserved.

:twocents

Agreed. It's all a matter of interpretation and unfortunately we are all subject to it. There is a case to be made for spending eternity in hell, although I think it is largely misconstrued and misunderstood by many Christians, and there is a case to be made for annihilation.
Agreed.+1 Except that since we are being asked what we believe, I believe that the case for eternal punishment is stronger than the case for annihilation.

Agreed.+1 Except that since we are being asked what we believe, I believe that the case for eternal punishment is stronger than the case for annihilation.
I will agree insofar as the case is stated that hell is eternal and that unbelievers will be there, so as not to convey the idea that believers will be in some sort of physical torture of fire for eternity or something of the sort.

I will agree insofar as the case is stated that hell is eternal and that unbelievers will be there, so as not to convey the idea that believers will be in some sort of physical torture of fire for eternity or something of the sort.
I believe there will be "weeping and gnashing of teeth". Is this punishment metaphorical? Literal? I've heard strong arguments for both sides. But I believe it to be just that- "eternal punishment". I seem to remember from a past post that you lean towards annihilationism. Am I correct? Can we discuss it? Scripture says in Matt. 25:46 that the unrighteous will go away into eternal punishment. In respect to annihilationism, while the end result is eternal, the punishment would only be temporal.

Westtexas

I believe there will be "weeping and gnashing of teeth". Is this punishment metaphorical? Literal? I've heard strong arguments for both sides. But I believe it to be just that- "eternal punishment". I seem to remember from a past post that you lean towards annihilationism. Am I correct? Can we discuss it? Scripture says in Matt. 25:46 that the unrighteous will go away into eternal punishment. In respect to annihilationism, while the end result is eternal, the punishment would only be temporal.

Westtexas
In the post you are addressing, I agreed that the stronger case is for an eternal hell. I lean that way but will not be dogmatic about it due to the persuasive arguments for annihilationism. But those are the two only biblically legitimate positions on hell, IMO. The punishment spoken of is literal.

As for annihilationism, if the punishment is being annihilated and separated from God, then the punishment is eternal. But for the annihilationist, they must still answer as to when the unrighteous dead receive what seems to be physical punishment as stated in Luke 12. This becomes a particular problem for those who don't believe in an immortal soul.

I believe there is eternal punishment but not "physical" eternal punishment. I believe Jesus was using His description of this place in order to give us an idea of how horrible it will be for those who don't repent and believe. We as His Creation cannot conceive of the concept of being totally and completely separated from His Love, so Jesus used something He knew we could relate to.

I believe there can be no physical pain compared to the forever agony of knowing you pridefully rejected the One who Created you and offered you Life. I would rather exist eternally with physical torture than the despair of having no hope; only regrets.

As for annihilation, this is a statement by Him that cannot be dismissed or reasoned as an analogy:

Matthew 26
"23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.â€

If he were to be annihilated, why would that be better than if he had not been born?

Back