Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Does James 2 Teach Works for Salvation?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
James chapter 2 verse 24 seems to show that you have to have works for your faith in order to be saved. People who claim to believe faith alone but they say that this faith must have works in it, but however that automatically contradicts James 2:24 "..a man is justified and not by faith only", so then this passage talks about faith and works, not faith alone that really works, that's contradictory!

Answer: James 2:24 is not for the Christian Church, that's the solution, it's for Tribulation Jews! - Dr. Gene Kim

Watch the bible study video here: https://www.pass-a-gospel-tract.club/post/does-james-2-teach-works-for-salvation

James 1:1 KJV​

“James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.”

James 5:3 KJV​

“Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.”

Which is supported by the Book of Revelation

Revelation 7:4 KJV​

“And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.”

Sorry allowed James is for the Christian Church.

It is as James says, if one has faith, that will be seen in the quality of one's life.
That is in the good deeds one is doing.

Sorry allowed James is for the Christian Church.

It is as James says, if one has faith, that will be seen in the quality of one's life.
That is in the good deeds one is doing.
By all means, as a Christian, we are expected to do good works after getting saved as this is the basis for receiving rewards in Heaven, but since we're still in the Church Age, we are save by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) in Jesus Christ. James is talking to the Jews and pertaining to the last days which have a different Salvation doctrine, which require both faith and good works for Salvation since they'll have to resist the Mark of the Beast

To say faith without works is dead is the same as saying faith without love is dead for the works we do unto the Lord are our labor of love for others as in Matthew 25:34-40. It's the same labor of love Christ did for us. Faith is action and if it has no fruit it is a false faith. James is not speaking about one who has faith, but one who claims to have faith. It's like giving lip service, but the heart is empty and void of God. Just because one claims to have faith doesn't mean they do, especially if there is no fruit to judge in them as that is how we judge one another, Matthew 7:15-23. We are saved by faith (Christ Jesus) through that of Gods grace (favor) as we can not earn it, but confess it.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? 17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works. 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. 25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

The book of James was sent to and written for Christians.

“James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.”

James is specifically talking to the Jews which are 12 Tribes of Israel

James is specifically talking to the Jews which are 12 Tribes of Israel
James was a Christian, writing about Christian ideas, to Christians.
At the time of his writing Israel had not been scattered, the only people who had were Christian, so his use of 12 tribes is a rethorical idea.

Does James 2 Teach Works for Salvation?​

No. I believe James teaches works because of salvation.

James was a Christian, writing about Christian ideas, to Christians.
At the time of his writing Israel had not been scattered, the only people who had were Christian, so his use of 12 tribes is a rethorical idea.
The Bible clearly states that it's not rhetorical but literal (it's not a parable, nor specify that it's metaphorical), James was speaking to the Jews and about End Times where they will be doing good works on top of their faith because they'll be constantly resisting the Mark of the Beast. Don't get me wrong, doing good works for the Lord is good and expected as a saved Christian, what I would like to point out is the Salvation doctrine is different per time period where we are save by grace through faith as stated in Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV in the Church Age (present):

Ephesians 2:8-9​

King James Version​

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

And after the Church Age and during the 7 year Tribulation, you can now apply James 2 for salvation: faith + good works. Else you will have contradictions with Paul's gospels. And woe to Paul if Salvation is Faith + Good Works

Romans 7:24-25
King James Version

24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Last edited:
James wrote:

James 2:1: "My brothers, do not be-holding the faith (of) our Lord Jesus Christ (of) glory with receiving-of-face."

Did his audience not belong to the church of Jesus Christ if they had the faith of Jesus Christ?

Cephas was condemned by Paul for not including Gentiles with Jews, as someone not walking in accordiance with the good news when Cephas was doing that!

Galatians 2:11: "And when Cephas came to Antioch, I-opposed (him) to his face — because he-was condemned."

Galatians 2:12: "For before certain (ones) came from James, he-was-eating with the Gentiles. But when they-came, he-was-drawing-back and separating himself, fearing the (ones) of (the) circumcision."

Galatians 2:13: "And the other Jews also joined-in-hypocrisy (with) him, so-that even Barnabas was-carried-away (by) their hypocrisy."

Galatians 2:14: "But when I-saw that they were not walking-straight with-regard-to the truth (of) the good-news, I-said (to) Cephas in-front-of everyone — “If you being (a) Jew are-living Gentile-ly and not Jewish-ly, how (is it) you-are-compelling the Gentiles to-Judaize?”"

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

James, being a leader of the church was talking to Jews, being some from the twelve tribes who were Spiritually born again Christians that after the day of Pentecost scattered throughout the Roman Providences. These Jews/Christians were beset with problems that were testing their faith. James was concerned that they were succumbing to impatience, bitterness, materialism, disunity and spiritual apathy. James felt that he had a responsibility to exhort and encourage them in their struggles of faith.

The key to James is faith that works. Throughout the book of James he develop the theme of the characteristics of true faith and uses a series of test to help his readers evaluate the quality of their relationship to Christ. A genuine faith will produce real changes in a persons conduct and character and the absence of change is a symptom of a dead faith. Faith that is not followed by good works is dead faith.

James chapter 2 verse 24 seems to show that you have to have works for your faith in order to be saved. People who claim to believe faith alone but they say that this faith must have works in it, but however that automatically contradicts James 2:24 "..a man is justified and not by faith only", so then this passage talks about faith and works, not faith alone that really works, that's contradictory!

Answer: James 2:24 is not for the Christian Church, that's the solution, it's for Tribulation Jews! - Dr. Gene Kim

Watch the bible study video here: https://www.pass-a-gospel-tract.club/post/does-james-2-teach-works-for-salvation

James 5:3 KJV​

“Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.”

Which is supported by the Book of Revelation

Revelation 7:4 KJV​

“And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.”

I don't see it that way! Salvation is the same for both the Jew and the Gentile. For the Jew first because Christ came only to the lost sheep of Israel, they were to introduce their Messiah to the world and we Gentiles were to be saved through their ministry. As we know, the opposite took place.

I'm in the camp that believes James is agreeing with Paul, but from a different angle. You notice that James says, "show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

In other words, James is saying that his works proves his salvation. Salivation and works cannot be separated, but the faith must come first. Abraham did many works that proved his justification, but those works came from a preexisting faith. Therefore we conclude that justification is by faith, and then joined by works.

The point James was making, in my opinion, is that we work because we are saved not to get saved. This is in total harmony with the teachings of Paul.

I don't see it that way! Salvation is the same for both the Jew and the Gentile. For the Jew first because Christ came only to the lost sheep of Israel, they were to introduce their Messiah to the world and we Gentiles were to be saved through their ministry. As we know, the opposite took place.

I'm in the camp that believes James is agreeing with Paul, but from a different angle. You notice that James says, "show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

In other words, James is saying that his works proves his salvation. Salivation and works cannot be separated, but the faith must come first. Abraham did many works that proved his justification, but those works came from a preexisting faith. Therefore we conclude that justification is by faith, and then joined by works.

The point James was making, in my opinion, is that we work because we are saved not to get saved. This is in total harmony with the teachings of Paul.
I agree in the last paragraph, "we work because we are already saved, and not to get saved" or to stay saved, as Jesus' Blood has washed all of our sins both past, present and future to all those who believe on Him and His finished work at the cross (except in Tribulation where Martyrs need to shed their own blood for Christ).

What constitutes a good work?
What makes them meritorious in God’s eyes?
What is included in good works?
Prayer, alms, fasting, suffering, the practice of virtue, abiding in or following Christ? Thanks

I agree in the last paragraph, "we work because we are already saved, and not to get saved" or to stay saved, as Jesus' Blood has washed all of our sins both past, present and future to all those who believe on Him and His finished work at the cross (except in Tribulation where Martyrs need to shed their own blood for Christ).

We know that 1/3 of Israel will come to faith in Christ, and escape death from the anti-christ, surviving the GT.

Prayer, alms, fasting, suffering, the practice of virtue, abiding in or following Christ? Thanks

John 14:15​

“If ye love me, keep my commandments.” If you "DO" as Jesus commands then that count as good work

James 1:12​

“Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.”

2 Timothy 4:5-8​

5But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. 6For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Prayer, alms, fasting, longsuffering (forbearance), the practice of virtue, abiding in or following Christ?
Yes, plus Water Baptism, Soul Winning (Witnessing, Visitation, etc.), Preaching the Gospel, Helping the Ministry, Charity, Tithing

We know that 1/3 of Israel will come to faith in Christ, and escape death from the anti-christ, surviving the GT.
In the book of Revelation, there will be 144,000 saved Jews from the Tribulation

Revelation 7:4​

In the book of Revelation, there will be 144,000 saved Jews from the Tribulation

Revelation 7:4​

They are taken at the mid-point of the Tribulation, the first fruits of Israel.

By all means, as a Christian, we are expected to do good works after getting saved as this is the basis for receiving rewards in Heaven, but since we're still in the Church Age, we are save by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) in Jesus Christ. James is talking to the Jews and pertaining to the last days which have a different Salvation doctrine, which require both faith and good works for Salvation since they'll have to resist the Mark of the Beast
I agree with your first phrase -- as a Christian, we are expected to do good works after getting saved -- but disagree that this is the basis for receiving rewards in Heaven. Our faith is what sustains us and motivates us to do good things for others, but our rewards in heaven are not dependent on what we do or don't do.

Jesus' Blood has washed all of our sins both past, present and future
I can't agree with this as it is only our past sins that have been forgiven when we confessed them and accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior.

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

It's the Spiritually renewed inner man that is in Christ that will stand in His judgement, but yet for now we still live in a fleshly body that will fall short at times and it is those times when we need to confess our moments of fleshly unrighteousness (sin) so there will be no bad deeds found in us. It's usually the sin of what we allow our mouth to speak that defiles the whole body, James 3:5,6.

We are alive in Christ and raised up with Him and seated with Him in heavenly places (not literally, but Spiritually), Colossians 3:1-4. We are made righteous by that of Gods righteousness that sees us as being perfect before Him. God does not count our sins against us after we believed in Christ and walk not after the flesh, but walk after the Spirit. God is aware that we will mess up at times and is quick to chastise us for correction as a good Father should as when we are disciplined we will remain holy before Him.
Ephesians 2:4-8; Romans 8:1; Hebrews 12:4-13; John 6:37,39.

I am secure in my salvation that Jesus paid the price for all sin as I am now made righteous through that of Gods righteousness and that He can not see any sin in me for I have been forgiven when I confessed Christ as my Lord and Savior and now am of God and no one can snatch me out of His hands, John 10:27-30.

Jesus paid the price for all sin, but all sin is only forgiven in those who accept Jesus as Lord and Savior through that of the Spiritual rebirth, John 3:5-7, by making confession of faith in Him, Romans 10:9, 10. Our Spiritual inner man can no longer sin as we are seen perfect in the eyes of God as we are seated in heavenly places above, Ephesians 2:4-10. Being that we are still housed in this fleshly body the flesh will sin if we allow ourselves to get into the flesh and I am sure we all do at times, but even though we have been forgiven for all sin God will still chastise or another word discipline us as a faithful Father as He corrects us, Hebrews 12:4-13.

Do we keep crucifying Christ for the forgiveness of our sins, God forbid.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, 2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3 And this will we do, if God permit. 4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. 7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God: 8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

Back