Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Early Church History

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Mike S

Worship in the Early Church: Did You Know? - http://www.christianitytoday.com/hi...urch-did-you-know.html?&visit_source=facebook
The first part of an early Christian worship assembly was open to all, including strangers, who might be converted by the preaching. The second part of the service involved the Lord’s Supper, which only the baptized were allowed to partake, so the unbaptized departed then.

Repentance was an involved process in the early church. Sin was seen not as a personal matter but as something that destroyed the unity of the church. Penitents fasted and prayed for the forgiveness of their sins, appeared before the church to make public confession, and were barred from the Lord’s Supper until they gave evidence of a change of heart and were absolved. (The only exception was for people facing persecution. They were readmitted to the Lord’s Supper so they could receive strength.)

In the first century, the Lord’s Supper included not only the bread and the cup but an entire meal. As part of the meal, neighbors who had quarreled made peace again.

Early Christians continued to observe the Jewish Passover. But they did not celebrate the Passover in memory of deliverance from Egypt. Instead, they fasted to commemorate the sufferings of Jesus, the true Passover Lamb.

Worship in the Early Church: Did You Know? - http://www.christianitytoday.com/hi...urch-did-you-know.html?&visit_source=facebook
The first part of an early Christian worship assembly was open to all, including strangers, who might be converted by the preaching. The second part of the service involved the Lord’s Supper, which only the baptized were allowed to partake, so the unbaptized departed then.

Repentance was an involved process in the early church. Sin was seen not as a personal matter but as something that destroyed the unity of the church. Penitents fasted and prayed for the forgiveness of their sins, appeared before the church to make public confession, and were barred from the Lord’s Supper until they gave evidence of a change of heart and were absolved. (The only exception was for people facing persecution. They were readmitted to the Lord’s Supper so they could receive strength.)

In the first century, the Lord’s Supper included not only the bread and the cup but an entire meal. As part of the meal, neighbors who had quarreled made peace again.

Early Christians continued to observe the Jewish Passover. But they did not celebrate the Passover in memory of deliverance from Egypt. Instead, they fasted to commemorate the sufferings of Jesus, the true Passover Lamb.
Sin was always seen as a threat to the community, the people of God. In the law of Moses, the result of sin would be that the nation would be driven from the land God had given them.
It is a rather modern notion that sin is only between me and God.

The Eucharist was a separate event from the meal.

The early church met on Sunday specifically to celebrate the Lord's resurrection and victory over death. The focus was more on His victory than on His passion. The focus on His passion is, I believe, a later, western development.

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoFootnoteText, li.MsoFootnoteText, div.MsoFootnoteText { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }span.FootnoteTextChar { }.MsoChpDefault { font-size: 10pt; }div.WordSection1 { }

The early church gathered for worship on the Lord’s Day, the first day of the week. (Sunday)

Justin Martyr : The First Apology of Justin C.100-162 AD
But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples,…

The Teaching of the Apostles. (1st Century)
The apostles further appointed: On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the Holy Scriptures, and the oblation: because on the first day of the week our Lord rose from the place of the dead and on the first day of the week He arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week He ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week He will appear at last with the angels of heaven.

The Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians C. 50-117 AD, Bishop of Antioch, Chapter IX.—Let Us Live with Christ.
If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s Day[1]…

…And after the observance of the Sabbath, let every friend of Christ keep the Lord’s Day as a festival, the resurrection-day, the queen and chief of all the days [of the week]. Looking forward to this, the prophet declared, “To the end, for the eighth day,” on which our life both sprang up again, and the victory over death was obtained in Christ, …

…At the dawning of the Lord’s day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by Himself, “As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” The day of the preparation, then, comprises the passion; the Sabbath embraces the burial; the Lord’s Day contains the resurrection.

The Epistle of Barnabas C. 70-131AD, Chapter XV. The False and the True Sabbath.
…. Further, He says to them, “Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure.” Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this, ] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.

my 2 kopecks

iakov the fool

By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that may result from said reading. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. Enjoy the rest of your life. :wave

Paul gives directions regarding the Lord’s Supper in 1Corinthians 11:23-29. Some have misunderstood verse 26, which says: "As often as ye eat this bread and drink this cup," and interpret it to say "take it as often as you please" But it does not say that! It says "as often" as we observe it, "ye do show the Lord’s death till He come." And Jesus commanded, "This do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me." We do it in remembrance of the Lord’s death as a memorial of His death. And memorials of momentous occasions always are observed annually, once a year, on the anniversary of the event they commemorate.

Can you imagine getting up extra early for church service before going to work?

Or right after work? Because you lost your home and have no where to sleep...but the banks were open and you could give of your last week's wages.

That's the picture of the Early church.

We do it in remembrance of the Lord’s death as a memorial of His death. And memorials of momentous occasions always are observed annually, once a year, on the anniversary of the event they commemorate.
Right, if it's the 4th of July or your birthday. That is one of the modern, western, understandings of a memorial. We also have memorials that are perpetual such as the eternal flames at the JFK memorial and the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.

From the earliest records of the Church, the Eucharist has been the centerpiece of Christian worship and was observed every Sunday.

The apostles further appointed: On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the Holy Scriptures, and the oblation (Eucharist): because on the first day of the week our Lord rose from the place of the dead and on the first day of the week He arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week He ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week He will appear at last with the angels of heaven.

I have no idea where you got the idea that the Eucharist should only be remembered once a year. Can you fill me in?

Iakov the fool

I like history and see it as being worth while discussing. Among other things, it is useful to see how we men get things wrong. There was a man next to Jesus on the cross who seem to repent right then and there and was told he would be with Jesus in heaven that day. (Luke 23:43) It doesn't seem a long formal repentance process was need there and then. And it does seem that he might have been in some respects, the earliest member of the church.

I tend to think men often tend to make coming to the Lord a whole lot harder than it actually is. I'm not saying that we should give it all the respect and reverence it deserves, but only that it seems the Lord made getting saved a lot easier and quicker than we think.

It didn't take long for the Galatians to turn from hearing God by faith back to works. So I also think it is possible to see the beginning of error by looking at the early church. The important part is to remember to turn back to the Lord. The Lord's Supper, as we call it, is supposed to to that. I personally believe that anytime we eat could and should be a reminder to turn back to the Lord and remember the price He paid to just to get our attention. After all, He said He was the bread that came down out of heaven and that we had to eat of His flesh and drink of His blood, so should we eat of Him as often as we eat for our flesh?

Well, I think we should. Then perhaps we would wind up listening to Him everyday that Today is called Today and doing what He says instead of what we think. That is just how I see it.

Can you imagine getting up extra early for church service before going to work?

Or right after work? Because you lost your home and have no where to sleep...but the banks were open and you could give of your last week's wages.
OK.....how do you connect those two ideas? :confused
That's the picture of the Early church.
Please expand your comment. How is that a picture of the early church. I'm not following you at all.:dunce (me)

iakov the fool

There was a man next to Jesus on the cross who seem to repent right then and there and was told he would be with Jesus in heaven that day. (Luke 23:43) It doesn't seem a long formal repentance process was need there and then. And it does seem that he might have been in some respects, the earliest member of the church.
Of course, a period of catechesis was impossible for someone who would be dead by the end of the day.
And, technically, he was still an Old Testament saint since the Holy Spirit had not yet been given.
But I get what you're saying.
It didn't take long for the Galatians to turn from hearing God by faith back to works.
Please pardon my nit-picking.
It was not turning back to "works" but to "works of the Law." They had been taught by Judaizers that, even as Gentiles, the were required to be circumcised and to keep the Law of Moses in order to be saved.
We were created to do good works (Eph 2:10) so we should be doing them and we will be judged by our works. (Mat 25:31-46, John 5:28-29 , and Ro 6:2-10) Our good works are the evidence that will identify us as members of the Body of Christ or as lost individuals.

I liked you post.

iakov the fool

i have a KJV where does it say anything about catechesis does that have something to do with making disciples?

*edit: forgot something at the last minute..

Here's another one "Eucharist has been the centerpiece of Christian worship" I've never been to a service where that term is mentioned.. what do you mean Eucharist?

Last edited:
Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

There are those that having heard the Spirit of God talking to them turn back to leaning on their understanding of the Scriptures which had kept them under sin and do works according to their understanding of the Scriptures instead of according to what the Lord tells them to do.

What the Lord tells us to do matches up with what is written. But if we don't listen we don't know what our Lord wants us to do, and then we don't match up with the Scriptures. That is because we are still are going our way. We have not repented of our ways. If we truly repent of our ways we are going to ask the Lord what He wants us doing and will listen by faith to what He tells us., and He does tell us if we are willing to listen and seek His spoken words. Of course we still want to test the spirits to make sure it is Him, but testing the spirit require the ability to hear with our spiritual ears and our willingness to listen. (See 1 Jn 4: 1-3)

So it was not just that the Galatians were going back to the Mosaic Law but that they were going back to trying to do works according to their understanding of the Scriptures instead of seeking to hear what Jesus Christ was saying to them via the Holy Spirit.

We all tend to do that at times, and need to be reminded that we have a Lord who can speak to us..

Sin was always seen as a threat to the community, the people of God. In the law of Moses, the result of sin would be that the nation would be driven from the land God had given them.
It is a rather modern notion that sin is only between me and God.

The Eucharist was a separate event from the meal.

The early church met on Sunday specifically to celebrate the Lord's resurrection and victory over death. The focus was more on His victory than on His passion. The focus on His passion is, I believe, a later, western development.

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoFootnoteText, li.MsoFootnoteText, div.MsoFootnoteText { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }span.FootnoteTextChar { }.MsoChpDefault { font-size: 10pt; }div.WordSection1 { }

The early church gathered for worship on the Lord’s Day, the first day of the week. (Sunday)

Justin Martyr : The First Apology of Justin C.100-162 AD
But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples,…

The apostles further appointed: On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the Holy Scriptures, and the oblation: because on the first day of the week our Lord rose from the place of the dead and on the first day of the week He arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week He ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week He will appear at last with the angels of heaven.

The Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians C. 50-117 AD, Bishop of Antioch, Chapter IX.—Let Us Live with Christ.
If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s Day[1]…

…And after the observance of the Sabbath, let every friend of Christ keep the Lord’s Day as a festival, the resurrection-day, the queen and chief of all the days [of the week]. Looking forward to this, the prophet declared, “To the end, for the eighth day,” on which our life both sprang up again, and the victory over death was obtained in Christ, …

…At the dawning of the Lord’s day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by Himself, “As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” The day of the preparation, then, comprises the passion; the Sabbath embraces the burial; the Lord’s Day contains the resurrection.

The Epistle of Barnabas C. 70-131AD, Chapter XV. The False and the True Sabbath.
…. Further, He says to them, “Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure.” Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this, ] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.

my 2 kopecks

iakov the fool

By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that may result from said reading. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. Enjoy the rest of your life. :wave

Jim,

Here is another one of the church fathers to support worship on Sunday:

Cyprian (ca. AD 200-258):

'For because the eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, was to be that on which the Lord should rise again, and should quicken us, and give us circumcision of the spirit, the eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, and the Lord's day, went before in the figure; which figure ceased when by and by the truth came, and spiritual circumcision was given to us' (Epistle 58.4).

Oz

Last edited:
i have a KJV where does it say anything about catechesis does that have something to do with making disciples?
NOt everything essential to Christianity is in the Bible. For example; the teaching of the trinity is not spelled out in so many words in any version of the Bible.
And, Yes, it does have something to do with making disciples. It is teaching in basic Christianity and training in the virtues.
Here's another one "Eucharist has been the centerpiece of Christian worship" I've never been to a service where that term is mentioned.. what do you mean Eucharist?
The short answer is; it's the "Lord's Supper."

Good questions.

iakov the fool

Jim,
Here is another one of the church fathers to support worship on Sunday:
Cyprian (ca. AD 200-258):
'For because the eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, was to be that on which the Lord should rise again, and should quicken us, and give us circumcision of the spirit, the eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, and the Lord's day, went before in the figure; which figure ceased when by and by the truth came, and spiritual circumcision was given to us' (Epistle 58.4).
Oz
C:\Users\Spencer\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif
The Epistle of Barnabas (ca AD 100), ‘Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead’ (Chapter 15, ‘The false and true Sabbath’).
C:\Users\Spencer\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif
Cyprian (ca. AD 200-258)”
For because the eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, was to be that on which the Lord should rise again, and should quicken us, and give us circumcision of the spirit, the eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, and the Lord's day, went before in the figure; which figure ceased when by and by the truth came, and spiritual circumcision was given to us (Epistle 58.4).
YEs. Those are very clear statements by the leaders of the early CHurch.
Thanks

jim

NOt everything essential to Christianity is in the Bible. For example; the teaching of the trinity is not spelled out in so many words in any version of the Bible.
And, Yes, it does have something to do with making disciples. It is teaching in basic Christianity and training in the virtues.

The short answer is; it's the "Lord's Supper."

Good questions.

iakov the fool

Jim,

So do you understand the doctrine of the Trinity is taught in the Bible?

Oz

*edit: forgot something at the last minute..

Well, let's say you want to be a disciple of a great scientist you really admire.
Do you have to know anything about science to follow him??

Just asking.

Well, let's say you want to be a disciple of a great scientist you really admire.
Do you have to know anything about science to follow him??

Just asking.

Seems an obvious 'yes' answer is required.

The Oxford dictionaries (2016. s v catechesis) give the definition of catechesis as, 'religious instruction given with a catechism in preparation for Christian baptism or confirmation'. Its origin is 'mid 18th century: via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek katēkhēsis "oral instruction"'.

Therefore, the assumption would be that the person giving the catechesis would be conversant in Christian teaching.

Oz

Seems an obvious 'yes' answer is required.

The Oxford dictionaries (2016. s v catechesis) give the definition of catechesis as, 'religious instruction given with a catechism in preparation for Christian baptism or confirmation'. Its origin is 'mid 18th century: via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek katēkhēsis "oral instruction"'.

Therefore, the assumption would be that the person giving the catechesis would be conversant in Christian teaching.

Oz

Hey OzSpen
I got here late and may have missed something and can't stay.
Yes is the correct answer.
No need to explain catechises to me. I used to DO this.
The real meaning is not oral instruction but learning via question and answer. IOW, memorization. Which does let kids remember some important key points but is a very bad way to "teach" the Christian faith. There are new and improved methods now.

Sorry if I intruded...

Wondering

Hey OzSpen
I got here late and may have missed something and can't stay.
Yes is the correct answer.
No need to explain catechises to me. I used to DO this.
The real meaning is not oral instruction but learning via question and answer. IOW, memorization. Which does let kids remember some important key points but is a very bad way to "teach" the Christian faith. There are new and improved methods now.

Sorry if I intruded...

Wondering

Wondering,

You have missed 2 points that I wrote:
  1. I did not state that the 'real meaning' of catechesis is 'oral instruction. I said that Oxford dictionaries (online) stated that its origin is 'mid 18th century: via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek katēkhēsis "oral instruction"'.
  2. You claim that it is not oral instruction but 'learning via question and answer. IOW, memorization'. What on earth is question and answer if it is not oral instruction, with the view to memorization?
Oz

Wondering,

You have missed 2 points that I wrote:
  1. I did not state that the 'real meaning' of catechesis is 'oral instruction. I said that Oxford dictionaries (online) stated that its origin is 'mid 18th century: via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek katēkhēsis "oral instruction"'.
  2. You claim that it is not oral instruction but 'learning via question and answer. IOW, memorization'. What on earth is question and answer if it is not oral instruction, with the view to memorization?
Oz
You're right, of course Oz. I was in a hurry and should have explained better.

W

Right, if it's the 4th of July or your birthday. That is one of the modern, western, understandings of a memorial. We also have memorials that are perpetual such as the eternal flames at the JFK memorial and the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.

From the earliest records of the Church, the Eucharist has been the centerpiece of Christian worship and was observed every Sunday.

The apostles further appointed: On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the Holy Scriptures, and the oblation (Eucharist): because on the first day of the week our Lord rose from the place of the dead and on the first day of the week He arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week He ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week He will appear at last with the angels of heaven.

I have no idea where you got the idea that the Eucharist should only be remembered once a year. Can you fill me in?

Iakov the fool

Which Church are you speaking about as being the 1st Century Church. The Apostles did not establish the Catholic Church, Methodist Church, Presbyterian, Baptist ect. ect. What the Apostles set up in their mission trips were Churches not made by hand, but by the teachings of Christ alone for there were no written by-laws, Nicene Creed, rituals and so forth. The Church being the true body of Christ met in each others home and in many cases did so in secrecy so the Roman Government would not see their gatherings and persecute them to death.

Cor 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1Cor 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1Cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

As oft means as we do in an act of memorial of the observance of the finished works of Christ on the cross. A memorial is usually done once a year as we take Christ communion on the anniversary of His death on Passover day. Originally the first day of the week called the Sabbath was from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night. It was the Roman Catholic Church that changed the Sabbath to Sunday.

Back