Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Electrical Question

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WIP

Staff member
This may seem like a silly question coming from someone with over 25 years of electrical design experience but alas, I don't know everything. My neighbor is building a new unattached garage. It will be insulated and finished on the interior but he wants to run the electrical circuits after finishing the inside so I recommended putting his wire inside conduit, either EMT or rigid PVC. To do this I told him that he'll want to use stranded wire instead of solid core as this will be far easier to handle around corners.

Here's the problem. In my opinion, stranded wire should not be used on screw terminals unless they include saddle straps or clamp/pressure plate. Finding receptacles that incorporate saddle straps is not easy. A solution that I thought of would be to use Stacon connectors but I'm not sure this would be permitted per NEC code and I haven't found that answer yet.

Does anyone know if it is permitted by NEC to use crimp-on connectors such as the one pictured for fastening the stranded wire to the devices? Thanks.

Also, if you could point me to the section of code that applies it would be much appreciated.

1578327195772.png
About the only other option that I can think of is to use solid core pigtails to facilitate the final connections to end devices but that consumes box fill and additional terminations that can fail so I'd rather avoid it if possible.

Last edited:
Back