Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Ephesians 1

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Butch5

In this thread I'd like to discuss Ephesians 1:3-12. It's my contention that this passage is speaking of the Jews, the Israelites. I'm including a link to a commentary that I've compiled as it's too long to post here.

Ephesians 1:1-14 Commentary

In this thread I'd like to discuss Ephesians 1:3-12. It's my contention that this passage is speaking of the Jews, the Israelites. I'm including a link to a commentary that I've compiled as it's too long to post here.

Ephesians 1:1-14 Commentary

I think something is wrong. When I go to the link it comes up in a pdf but then all 11 pages have very little on them. The scriptures are there but the sentences are fragmented. The first page looks rather like a word cloud.

Same thing happened when I tried to read it. Maybe a problem with dropbox? I've had some problems with them before too.

Yeah, I tried it again and still have the same problem too.

Butch5, I once had a similar problem on Dropbox with a document. I put the same document up on MediaFire and it worked. MediaFire is similar to Dropbox (free too) and seemed to work better, at least it did for me. If you've had other problems with Dropbox you might want to check it out. It's too bad about this one. Looks like you put some time and effort into it!

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried it again and still have the same problem too.

Butch5, I once had a similar problem on Dropbox with a document. I put the same document up on MediaFire and it worked. MediaFire is similar to Dropbox (free too) and seemed to work better, at least it did for me. If you've had other problems with Dropbox you might want to check it out. It's too bad about this one. Looks like you put some time and effort into it!

Hi Obadiah,

actually, I've never had a problem with dropbox. I resaved the file again but it seems to still have the problem. I'll try another program. It's weird because the link works for me. Did you click the link in post 4?

It works fine for me. I'm using Firefox on Open SuSE Linux. Maybe it's something with the setup of your computers. Try downloading it and them opening it.

The TOG​

Hi Obadiah,

actually, I've never had a problem with dropbox. I resaved the file again but it seems to still have the problem. I'll try another program. It's weird because the link works for me. Did you click the link in post 4?

I'm not sure why the link is working for some and not others so I'll post this link to a website that has the same teaching.

PFRS Commentary Ephesians 1:3-14

It works fine for me. I'm using Firefox on Open SuSE Linux. Maybe it's something with the setup of your computers. Try downloading it and them opening it.

The TOG​

Ah ha.......I downloaded without saving the file (Firefox) and opened with Adobe Reader. :salute

Yeah, I tried it from post #4 too and go the same problem. The real problem is most likely the one TOG mentions in his signature: "Computers are like air conditioners. They stop working if you open Windows". :lol

The link in post #9 works great. Now I've got something to read when I get back from work. :)

Yeah, I tried it from post #4 too and go the same problem. The real problem is most likely the one TOG mentions in his signature: "Computers are like air conditioners. They stop working if you open Windows". :lol

The link in post #9 works great. Now I've got something to read when I get back from work. :)

Hi Obadiah,

That one is not mine, It's actually better than mine. The link in the 1st post didn't work but the one in post 4 worked for me in IE and Chrome.

If you want to read Butch's try what I did. When the pdf comes up download but don't save and read with Adobe Flash if that is what you have.

If you want to read Butch's try what I did. When the pdf comes up download but don't save and read with Adobe Flash if that is what you have.

Mine is more of an overview. I've not gotten back to it since I did it to post in another thread. The other link is much more detailed.

There is also indications within the text of Ephesians that Paul is addressing the Jews in chapter 1 verses 3-12

There is also indications within the text of Ephesians that Paul is addressing the Jews in chapter 1 verses 3-12

I think that is a very general statement, which Jews? All Jews?

Jesus is the Seed, the Chosen, the Beloved, etc. from the foundation of the world. One must be in Him in order to be the same through Him.
12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

I think that is a very general statement, which Jews? All Jews?

Jesus is the Seed, the Chosen, the Beloved, etc. from the foundation of the world. One must be in Him in order to be the same through Him.

In the passage in Eph 1 Jesus is not the beloved and the chosen. Have you read the other link I posted? In that link it is shown from the grammar of the Greek text that Paul cannot be speaking of Jesus when he speaks of the "Beloved".

Paul also speaks of having received an inheritance, that's past tense. The Gentiles had never received an inheritance from God, however, the Jews had.

Back