Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Ephesians 4:30 What does it mean?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

siddhi koli

Ephesians 4:30

King James Version

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

After thinking about your question and reading the text around that verse, I asked myself, what grieves the Holy Spirit? What does God want from us? Throughout Scripture God repeatedly says that He wants us to "know Him." Not just know of Him but to know Him intimately.

A few years ago, after listening to an audio version of the Bible, it caught my attention that I kept hearing a repeated phrase from God similar to "so they will know Me" or "so you will know that I am God." As a result of this I did a study using the NKJV and discovered at least 294 references of God declaring who He is and that He wants us to "know Him." I say "at least" because I'm still not sure I found all of them.

God wants us to know Him. Would it grieve the Holy Spirit if we ignored God and took Him for granted? God commanded that we love Him with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength. Would it grieve the Holy Spirit if we did not love God? God commands that we love each other as we love ourselves. Would it grieve the Holy spirit if we did not love each other?

In the surrounding text to Ephesians 4:30, Paul gives us many examples of what we are to do and what we are not to do. Things like putting off the old ways and putting on the new ways of God (vs. 17-24), speaking truth instead of lying, sinning in anger, giving place to the devil, not stealing...doing good, speaking good words to edify and build each other up rather than tearing each other down...putting away bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, evil speech...being kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving toward one another (vs. 25-32). I believe all of these are examples of how not to grieve the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 4:17-42 is all about our new Spiritual life in Christ that we put off the old man, which is corrupt, and be renewed in the spirit of our mind, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. We are grieving the Holy Spirit that indwells us if we are walking according to the lust of our flesh that corrupts us. Never give place to the devil. Colossians Chapter three gives us an ever clearer picture of putting on the new self.

Back