Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Examination is not a true test of knowledge

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Classik

Examination is not a true test of knowledge.

I have often heard people argue that: Examination is not a true test of knowledge. If it isn't, what is it then?

There are certain circumstances that can really affect performance, some of which are: sicknesses, emotional problems etc.

Then, apart from these....how can one claim such, that Examination is not a true test of knowledge?

It would be better to say, perhaps, formal education isnt the only way to learn :wink

"Examination" can often be no more than proof of a good memory..... Not necessarily practical knowledge of the subject matter.
Almost every time I read a thread of any length, I see posts that demonstrate the ability to repeat, verbatim, passages of scripture, while the subsequent text reveals hardly any idea of what the words they parroted there actually mean.

What I have learned in the last 60 years is that many things are not taught in the classroom as life itself is always a test and sometimes we fail and sometimes we get an A. The three R's are a good thing, but life can certainly teach you so much more. I have always learned hands on more than I have ever learned from a book.

The parable of the "Good Samaritan" would be a good example of people who likely would have aced any exam on the "Law", but they all failed miserably at understanding what their memorized words meant........ except for one man, who may not have known as much standard scripture as the other guys.

I disagree (somebody has to, it's no fun if everybody agrees). Exams are a true test of knowledge, but they are not perfect. If you're going to pass a test, then you need knowledge of the subject matter. What the exams don't show is whether you retain that knowledge after the test is over.

The TOG​

"Examination" can often be no more than proof of a good memory..... Not necessarily practical knowledge of the subject matter.
Almost every time I read a thread of any length, I see posts that demonstrate the ability to repeat, verbatim, passages of scripture, while the subsequent text reveals hardly any idea of what the words they parroted there actually mean.

Have you ever noticed that if someone does not give their heart to Jesus, God will not allow them to understand His precepts? He literally lets Satan blind them. He does this as an act of mercy, because if they knew without giving their heart to Him they would be in a tough spot. Kinda like the Pharisees who saw the miracles and still denied Jesus.

What is knowledge? Why do you want it?

Why you want knowledge will determine your perspective, which will in turn determine what you see upon examination of information.

It is for this reason that formal education is nearly useless. The people teaching the knowledge wanted it for the wrong reasons, and therefore buy into many lines of false presuppositions which they try their hardest to pass on to their students.

What is knowledge? Why do you want it?

Why you want knowledge will determine your perspective, which will in turn determine what you see upon examination of information.

It is for this reason that formal education is nearly useless. The people teaching the knowledge wanted it for the wrong reasons, and therefore buy into many lines of false presuppositions which they try their hardest to pass on to their students.
Can you give some specific examples of what you mean by a formal education being nearly useless? Without an education I couldn't read my Bible or write/type this message.

Can you give some specific examples of what you mean by a formal education being nearly useless? Without an education I couldn't read my Bible or write/type this message.

Formal education regarding history and scientific precepts directly linked to history. Basically, anything that is not concrete (physics, English, math, HARD sciences). In school we are taught things that indicate world views "evolved." Every world view traces back to one of two places: God or Babylon. I can be more specific if you would like. Occultists and the Babylonian and Greek mysteries have had a heavy influence on the precepts we learn in our formal educations. This is part of the "Externalization of the Hierarchy."

http://www.lucistrust.org/en/arcane_school/talks_and_articles/the_esoteric_meaning_of_lucifer

http://www.lucistrust.org/en/arcane_school/talks_and_articles/descent_and_sacrifice

http://www.lucistrust.org/en/about_us/lucis_trust

LUCIS TRUST
is on the Roster of the
United Nations Economic
and Social Council

120 Wall Street, 24th Floor New York, New York 10005 U.S.A.

Suite 54, 3 Whitehall Court London SW1A 2EF England

Rue du Stand 40, Case Postale 5323. 1211 Geneva 11. Switzerland

It is interesting that the express reason public school was created in America (or so it seems from historical documents) was to equip the population with the Sword so that they would be able to fight Satan. But people in those times quickly realized that Satan gained a strong foothold in public schools which quickly became rife with sexual immorality and general wickedness.

Last edited:
Discussions of conspiracy theories often lead to slander and hostile debate. Therefore, discussion of conspiracy theories is prohibited. edited reba

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone was really intelligent they could read all the medical books and study everything they needed to be a surgeon. But unless they were a real ghoul and dig up their own cadavers it's probably best that they attend medical school.

Discussions of conspiracy theories often lead to slander and hostile debate. Therefore, discussion of conspiracy theories is prohibited. edited reba
edited
This site has been through a few conspiracy battles . We learned to not let them start. What one member may believe is a joke another will run with it. reba

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone was really intelligent they could read all the medical books and study everything they needed to be a surgeon. But unless they were a real ghoul and dig up their own cadavers it's probably best that they attend medical school.

That is concrete science. It is verifiable through direct observation.

I should also add that these are the same mysteries that lead many people to believe that Paul in Colossians 1:26 said "that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations" was not saying that the Church did not already know this (this comes from Acts 11:18 and the idea that Acts 11:18 was before Colossians 1:26), but was distinguishing from the Greek mysteries that were passed down in secret from generation to generation. The Greek mysteries, which came from the Babylonian mysteries, were used to control the population. There are no official records of what exactly they were, although they are mentioned constantly in official records. They are still handed down in secret, although it is not much of a secret anymore. These are essentially the same as the Egyptian mysteries. This is what the term "mystery schools" refer to. They are the "magical" schools of thought.

I do not know if that is the proper interpretation of Colossians 1:26, but there are many who believe it is. There is a pretty extensive debate on this topic. Articles are available online. I can not say what is correct. If that is the case, it is directly tied to Paul's opposition to Gnosticism (which comes from the mystery schools) in 1 Timothy 6:20. The Gnostic heresy continues to this day. 1 Timothy 6:20 is commonly accepted to refer to Gnosticism.

interesting thread and perspectives.
Regarding the OP...examinations may not be a true test of wisdom, but it is a test of knowledge. Big difference between knowledge and wisdom, it's good to have both.

Examinations are good in that they let you see where you are. It doesn't matter if you're tired, hungry, sick, whatever. You get your score and see where you stand on a comparative scale of accurateness.

Being sick or tired can be taken into account after scoring for a personal observation of how you do at your worst or so forth, but should not be used as a rationalization for doing poorly. You either know it or you don't.

When I was in junior high and high school, I was rebellious sort of course, but I was also an avid reader and interested in many things of my own accord. I would generally not do the assignments or homework, but almost always did well on the tests. Which made them both dislike me and respect to a degree at the same time. They had to pass me for I passed the tests. Even after I quit high school and one day decided to go get my GED, they pre tested me and I didn't need any prep classes or anything like that. I did well on the test.

Wisdom is whole 'nother ballgame. Someone can be very wise and practically be illiterate. Conversely, one can have a PHD and at the same time, be an idiot as far as wisdom goes. I think the difference between them is like...book smarts and street smarts, along those lines.

I'm fairly intelligent, but in no way do I profess to be wise. I may be, but I do not think that one can judge their own wisdom. That's judged by others.

Back