Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Female Officers in the Early Church

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

T. E. Smith

Romantic Rationalist
Contrary to the narrative pushed by many more conservative Christian denominations, evidence indicates that there were indeed women who served as church officers in the early church. This could include elders, official teachers, and deaconesses.

Romans 16:1-2​

"I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a minister (diakonos) of the church at Cenchraae. I beg you to give her a Christian welcome, as the saints should and to assist her in any matter in which she may have need of you. For she herself has been made an overseer (prostatis) to many people, including myself."

Diakonos is often transliterated as "deacon", but this obscures the original meaning of a "minister". How firmly fixed this title was is quite unclear due to the early date of Romans, likely CE 55-59. At the inaugural stage in the church's formation, the office was probably not clearly defined. Nevertheless, her role likely included preaching and evangelism.

Prostatis could mean a "leader", often in a religious context, and later took on the meaning of a "patron." It is the noun form of the verb in 1 Timothy 3:4: "He must manage his own household well."

Extrabiblical Evidence​

Women as Elders (presbutera or presbutis)

• A mummy label dated to the second or third century Egypt lists the following: "Artemidoras, daughter of Mikkalos, fell asleep in the Lord, her mother Paniskiaines being an elder" (presbytera, feminine)."
    • Cahiers de Recherches de L’Institut de Papyrologie et d’Egyptologie de Lille 5 (1974) 264 no. 1115.
  • An inscription reads: "A memorial for Ammio the elder" (presbytera, feminine). Found near Usak in modern Turkey (ancient Phrygia), before the time of Constantine.
    • Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies 16 (1975) 437-38.
  • St. Cyprian writes of a female presbyter (elder) in Cappadocia in the mid-230s.
    • Epistle 75.10.5
  • An epitaph for Epiktas the elder (presbutis,also feminine), found on Thera, a Greek island. Dated to the third or fourth century.
    • Bulletin de Correspondence Hellenique 101 (1977) 210, 212.
  • An epitaph for Kale, the elder (presbutis, feminine once again) from Centuripae in Sicily, from the fourth or fifth century.
    • L’Annee Epigraphique (1975) 454.

A Woman as an Official Teacher​

• A papyrus from Egypt, dated to the fourth century, twice speaks twice of Kyria the teacher (using the word didaskalos).
    • ZPE 18 [1975] 317-23.

Women as Deacons​

Please note that the term "deaconess" was a late development, and the masculine form was originally used to refer to female deacons as well. The masculine form continued to be in use for female deacons even after a feminine form was adopted.
  • Pliny wrote of slave women who were called ministrae. These ministers served in likely the same office as a deacon. This letter can be conclusively dated to 108 CE, and it was written to the Emperor Trajan concerning the Christians of Cappadocia.
    • Epistle 10.96.6.
  • Patrai of Achaia (from the early Christian period): "The deacon (diakonos) Agrippiane (feminine), most beloved of God, provided the mosaic in fulfillment of a vow."
    • Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum 29, (1978), 425.
  • A tombstone from Melos, inscribed at the start of the fourth century, mentions a mother and her children, and all the children held offices in the church. The titles are given in descending order of importance.
    • Elders (presbyteroi)
      • Asklepis (possibly a female name)
      • Elpizon
      • Asklepiodotos
    • Deacon (diakonos)
      • Agliasis (a woman)
    • Order of virgins
      • Eutylchia and Klaudiana
    • Reference: M. Guarducci, Epigrafia greca, IV, Rome: 1978, 368-70.
  • An inscription on the Mount of Olives, dated from the fourth century, reads: "Here lies the slave and bride of Christ, Sophia the deacon (diakonos), the second Phoebe, who fell asleep in peace on the 21st of the month of March during the indiction..." but at this point the stone breaks off.
  • Matrona the deacon (diakonos), from Stobi, Macedonia, dated to the fourth or fifth century; she was ordained by a bishop.
    • Dr. G. H. R. Horsley, ed., New Documents Illustrating Early Christianity, Sydney, 1977, 109.
  • An epitaph at Delphi from the first part of the fifth century was made for the deaconess (diakonissa) Athanasia.
    • Guarducci, IV. 345-47 (Delphi, V; fig. 99).
  • A gravestone on Mt. Hymettos from the late Imperial period says, "Nekagore the deaconess lies here."
    • IG, III 2, x.3527.
  • "Eugenia the deacon (diakonos)", from Kirazli in Bithynia, in the Imperial period.
    • Zeitschrift fur Papyrologie und Epigraphik 18 (1975) 46 (Kirazli late Imperial).
  • "Maria the deacon (diakonos)", from Cappadocia in the sixth century.
    • Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum 27 (1978) 948a.

Please note that the term "deaconess" was a late development, and the masculine form was originally used to refer to female deacons as well. The masculine form continued to be in use for female deacons even after a feminine form was adopted.
We do not differentiate by using deaconess in our church today. We use the masculine forum, deacon, for both male and females that fill that role. I don't know if that is intentional or just not thought about before. None of our women have objected to this either. In fact, two of our three deacons right now are women and one of them is very conservative with regard to her church life.

Last edited:
We do not differentiate by using deaconess in our church today. We use the masculine forum, deacon, for both male and females that fill that role.
All well and good. My point was not that a church should differentiate. But in some churches, there is a differentiation, and some people in such churches reading this post might get confused by how the same word was traditionally used.

I think most churches have female deacons today, but some do not. The topic of deaconesses is far less controversial than the topic of female elders. But some archeological support clearly exists for female elders.

All well and good. My point was not that a church should differentiate. But in some churches, there is a differentiation, and some people in such churches reading this post might get confused by how the same word was traditionally used.
I understand and was just sharing, not trying to make a point otherwise.

I don't know if that is intentional or just not thought about before. None of our women have objected to this either. In fact, two of our three deacons right now are women and one of them is very conservative with regard to her church life.
"Deacon" is arguably, in today's usage, a gender-neutral term rather than a masculine term... I termed it masculine because it is a transliteration of the Greek, and in the Greek, it is masculine.

most go by if any Man desire the office “This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.” i am not one of these woman cant function in the church . for they are a very big part of the church . yes i know there are women preachers.. i have a good friend i was raised around is.. but i do believe God intended the Man to be the leader . that is not putting the women under the men feet

most go by if any Man desire the office “This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.” i am not one of these woman cant function in the church . for they are a very big part of the church . yes i know there are women preachers.. i have a good friend i was raised around is.. but i do believe God intended the Man to be the leader . that is not putting the women under the men feet
The Greek does not say "man" , that is a highly inaccurate translation. It uses the word tis, which is a completely gender- neutral word better translated "anyone". Even conservative translations that hold to complementarianism recognize this (such as the ESV).

The Greek does not say "man" , that is a highly inaccurate translation. It uses the word tis, which is a completely gender- neutral word better translated "anyone". Even conservative translations that hold to complementarianism recognize this (such as the ESV).
If anyone desire be be an elder ,he or she must be married to one husband .
Kinda hard to miss that problem especially when it says they must rule their house well.

In context women didn't rule the house in Greco Roman culture.if I wanted to talk business with petrus,Lucius I talked to him .not his wife .

If anyone desire be be an elder ,he or she must be married to one husband .
Kinda hard to miss that problem especially when it says they must rule their house well.

In context women didn't rule the house in Greco Roman culture.if I wanted to talk business with petrus,Lucius I talked to him .not his wife .
That is a fair point but I was just addressing the verse that Jerry had pointed out and showing the inaccuracy of that translation.

As for your verse, the text says "one woman man", not "husband of one wife." So in light of that, pseudo-Paul understood that most elders were men, and so his generalization fits accordingly. But this does not mean that women could not be elders. Furthermore, why should a woman not be able to rule her household?

You are correct about the culture, but Christianity was counter-cultural and proud of it, though they did conform to the culture in other ways (e.g., slavery).

That is a fair point but I was just addressing the verse that Jerry had pointed out and showing the inaccuracy of that translation.

As for your verse, the text says "one woman man", not "husband of one wife." So in light of that, pseudo-Paul understood that most elders were men, and so his generalization fits accordingly. But this does not mean that women could not be elders. Furthermore, why should a woman not be able to rule her household?

You are correct about the culture, but Christianity was counter-cultural and proud of it, though they did conform to the culture in other ways (e.g., slavery).
One ,I should not my wife .

Rip apart my ac .build and maintain my house physically.

Should my wife ,who has injuries that men get from work ,just teach my jaci she can wear out her shoulders like that .my wife has had reverse shoulder replacement.you rarely gain full function.

It's complementary not equality in all things . My wife is a tomboy as her daughter is and granddaughter .

That is actually counterculture now .

Jesus could have choose women to be apostles ,he didn't .Paul simply could have said .while I'm not majoring in the minors ,I'm not into taking commands out of context when it says clearly .

The view of marriage is a reflection of how God loves the church . Christ the head of the church ,the husband the head of the marriage .

Contrary to the narrative pushed by many more conservative Christian denominations, evidence indicates that there were indeed women who served as church officers in the early church. This could include elders, official teachers, and deaconesses.

Romans 16:1-2​

"I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a minister (diakonos) of the church at Cenchraae. I beg you to give her a Christian welcome, as the saints should and to assist her in any matter in which she may have need of you. For she herself has been made an overseer (prostatis) to many people, including myself."

Diakonos is often transliterated as "deacon", but this obscures the original meaning of a "minister". How firmly fixed this title was is quite unclear due to the early date of Romans, likely CE 55-59. At the inaugural stage in the church's formation, the office was probably not clearly defined. Nevertheless, her role likely included preaching and evangelism.

Prostatis could mean a "leader", often in a religious context, and later took on the meaning of a "patron." It is the noun form of the verb in 1 Timothy 3:4: "He must manage his own household well."

Extrabiblical Evidence​

Women as Elders (presbutera or presbutis)

• A mummy label dated to the second or third century Egypt lists the following: "Artemidoras, daughter of Mikkalos, fell asleep in the Lord, her mother Paniskiaines being an elder" (presbytera, feminine)."
    • Cahiers de Recherches de L’Institut de Papyrologie et d’Egyptologie de Lille 5 (1974) 264 no. 1115.
  • An inscription reads: "A memorial for Ammio the elder" (presbytera, feminine). Found near Usak in modern Turkey (ancient Phrygia), before the time of Constantine.
    • Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies 16 (1975) 437-38.
  • St. Cyprian writes of a female presbyter (elder) in Cappadocia in the mid-230s.
    • Epistle 75.10.5
  • An epitaph for Epiktas the elder (presbutis,also feminine), found on Thera, a Greek island. Dated to the third or fourth century.
    • Bulletin de Correspondence Hellenique 101 (1977) 210, 212.
  • An epitaph for Kale, the elder (presbutis, feminine once again) from Centuripae in Sicily, from the fourth or fifth century.
    • L’Annee Epigraphique (1975) 454.

A Woman as an Official Teacher​

• A papyrus from Egypt, dated to the fourth century, twice speaks twice of Kyria the teacher (using the word didaskalos).
    • ZPE 18 [1975] 317-23.

Women as Deacons​

• Pliny wrote of slave women who were called ministrae. These ministers served in likely the same office as a deacon. This letter can be conclusively dated to 108 CE, and it was written to the Emperor Trajan concerning the Christians of Cappadocia.
    • Epistle 10.96.6.
  • Patrai of Achaia (from the early Christian period): "The deacon (diakonos) Agrippiane (feminine), most beloved of God, provided the mosaic in fulfillment of a vow."
    • Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum 29, (1978), 425.
  • A tombstone from Melos, inscribed at the start of the fourth century, mentions a mother and her children, and all the children held offices in the church. The titles are given in descending order of importance.
    • Elders (presbyteroi)
      • Asklepis (possibly a female name)
      • Elpizon
      • Asklepiodotos
    • Deacon (diakonos)
      • Agliasis (a woman)
    • Order of virgins
      • Eutylchia and Klaudiana
    • Reference: M. Guarducci, Epigrafia greca, IV, Rome: 1978, 368-70.
  • An inscription on the Mount of Olives, dated from the fourth century, reads: "Here lies the slave and bride of Christ, Sophia the deacon (diakonos), the second Phoebe, who fell asleep in peace on the 21st of the month of March during the indiction..." but at this point the stone breaks off.
  • Matrona the deacon (diakonos), from Stobi, Macedonia, dated to the fourth or fifth century; she was ordained by a bishop.
    • Dr. G. H. R. Horsley, ed., New Documents Illustrating Early Christianity, Sydney, 1977, 109.
  • An epitaph at Delphi from the first part of the fifth century was made for the deaconess (diakonissa) Athanasia.
    • Guarducci, IV. 345-47 (Delphi, V; fig. 99).
  • A gravestone on Mt. Hymettos from the late Imperial period says, "Nekagore the deaconess lies here."
    • IG, III 2, x.3527.
  • "Eugenia the deacon (diakonos)", from Kirazli in Bithynia, in the Imperial period.
    • Zeitschrift fur Papyrologie und Epigraphik 18 (1975) 46 (Kirazli late Imperial).
  • "Maria the deacon (diakonos)", from Cappadocia in the sixth century.
    • Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum 27 (1978) 948a.
I'll stick with Paul's 1 Tim 2:12 POV on women teachers.

how can you prove that? God put the man in charge once again that does not put the women under men feet. the leadership is to be the man im sorry. just how it was designed
I already proved it by citing the Greek word, tis. Look it up in any Greek lexicon and you will see that it does not mean man. Man is aner.

From observation of a church or two, the problem is more a lack of real maturity in Christ with the accompanying lack of discernment. The apostles chose people of a character quality matching the task. We vote often based on worldly accomplishments (a PhD has a better chance of winning that a janitor.) I’m not sure anyone even mentions character qualities but it’s democratically assumed all have good character, no differences.

It's complementary not equality in all things . My wife is a tomboy as her daughter is and granddaughter .

That is actually counterculture now .

Good for you Brother! It is counterculture now too, you said a mouthfull there!

We got two types of women on this planet. The Tomboy types and the Princess types

Princess types are high maintenence and usually can't even make a sandwich. Just make yourself a sandwich for dinner tonight dear, I broke a nail and have to go get it fixed...

Me: OMG what happened to you?!

Tomboy type, well the landscapers wanted too much to clear out all the poison ivy so I did it myself.

I once had a girl get angry at me for trying to compliment her by saying she's a Tomboy. I guess she didn't get it.

Some women have it, some women don't. The Princess type would argue and whine, oh I want a "Title" in my church. I don't really do a whole lot but I deserve that title.

Tomboy types are like a freight train and don't care about any stinking title! Get out of my way, things need done...and their off. These girls need not lobbying for recognition! They are good helpful women and on the spot, everyone already knows it and accepts them fine because they are real, and they are some serious helpmeet. And these girls can whip up the meanest sandwich you ever seen in your life. And honestly, they've prolly already thought about it and so it's already ready. Because that's how she is. She is no Princess (Woe is her!!!)and she laughs at the thought of the Princesses, lol.

So I think your whole point has been moot about girl deacons need differentiated in the church. Whch Princess type put you up to this? Lol. She played a joke on you brother. SO now she owes you a sandwich if she can manage.

(I feel so much compassion for the younger generations dating pool nowadays)

Good for you Brother! It is counterculture now too, you said a mouthfull there!

We got two types of women on this planet. The Tomboy types and the Princess types

Princess types are high maintenence and usually can't even make a sandwich. Just make yourself a sandwich for dinner tonight dear, I broke a nail and have to go get it fixed...

Me: OMG what happened to you?!

Tomboy type, well the landscapers wanted too much to clear out all the poison ivy so I did it myself.

I once had a girl get angry at me for trying to compliment her by saying she's a Tomboy. I guess she didn't get it.

Some women have it, some women don't. The Princess type would argue and whine, oh I want a "Title" in my church. I don't really do a whole lot but I deserve that title.

Tomboy types are like a freight train and don't care about any stinking title! Get out of my way, things need done...and their off. These girls need not lobbying for recognition! They are good helpful women and on the spot, everyone already knows it and accepts them fine because they are real, and they are some serious helpmeet. And these girls can whip up the meanest sandwich you ever seen in your life. And honestly, they've prolly already thought about it and so it's already ready. Because that's how she is. She is no Princess (Woe is her!!!)and she laughs at the thought of the Princesses, lol.

So I think your whole point has been moot about girl deacons need differentiated in the church. Whch Princess type put you up to this? Lol. She played a joke on you brother. SO now she owes you a sandwich if she can manage.

(I feel so much compassion for the younger generations dating pool nowadays)
In my demononation we are allowed to have women deacons .my elders simply won't .

A deacon cleans , maintains the church and makes financial decisions with the elder .
That can include physical repair of the church

so its your point you know exactly what they wrote back then by using a Greek lexicon i dont buy it
And you think you know what it means without a lexicon? Without any Greek experts agreeing with you? I don't buy it. You clearly don't understand how Greek language studies work.

In my demononation we are allowed to have women deacons .my elders simply won't .

A deacon cleans , maintains the church and makes financial decisions with the elder .
That can include physical repair of the church

And how's that going for the church? Are all the women complaining about it? I'm guessing no.

If a woman desires to be a deacon, is she fully aware of deacons duties and still want the position? If she can handle it and wants to, so what? But if she isn't one of the few women who know job site dance steps who would tell her no? In my experience people are put to work doing what they are best at for the company or organization. Most times, women excell at supporting roles and there's nothing wrong with that.

That's why I like Tomboys. I married one. She'd wrestle in a heartbeat. She rebuilt her own carberator on her car after wathing me rebuild mine from a kit. She's like, I can do that. And just did it. Perfect first try.
Normally I mowed the grass, she had enough to do inside, lol. But when I was busy and hadn't got to it, she wouldn't complain. I'd just come home late from work one day and it's done. No one asked her to do it. She just did.

Back