Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Fruit of Love

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
Galatians 5:22 but the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Galatians 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Galatians 5:24 and they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Galatians 5:25 If we live in the Spirit let us also walk in the Spirit.
Galatians 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

God gave us many commandments, but the greatest one is love, Matthew 22:36-40. Now just how does one love with all their heart, especially in a world that seems to be filled with so much hate towards one another. How many times have you hated your persecutors, but yet call yourself a Christian.

If we are led by the Spirit let us also walk in the Spirit. If we truly know God then we would know his love for us even in our own imperfections of the flesh as we allow his righteousness to perfect our spiritual inner man so we can be prepared to stand before the judgment seat of Christ, 2Corinthians 5:10.

A sign of true faith is manifested in obedience to God’s perfect will of love that as Christ loved us and gave his life for us we should also have this same love in us for our neighbors that says Father forgive them for they know not what they do. Even through the persecutions Jesus was subjected to he never lost focus that he was in the Father’s will and what his purpose was here on earth.

Temperance is another fruit of love that we should know the mind of Christ that we will not conform to the ways of this world even though we have to live in it, but to restrain from the ways of this world as we crucify this flesh daily. If any one loves this world then the love of the Father is not in them, 1John 2:15-17.

I know it is so easy to get into the flesh, especially when someone is lashing out at you and the flesh is quick to retaliate as even I get into the flesh at times when I take my focus off God’s will and I do believe God knows we will get into the flesh at times as we are not perfect, but do strive for that perfection that is in Christ. This is where God’s grace and mercy comes in as even though we mess up at times he is quick to forgive us as we need to be quick to forgive those who come against us and never hold a grudge.

Meekness shows patience and the trying of our faith that we may be perfect and entire wanting nothing, James 1:2-4. Gentleness, goodness and faith will always bring us into submission of the perfect will of God’s love, which is the greatest gift of all. Let us display this gift of love in our own lives so others will see the love of Christ shine through us.​

Galatians 5:22 but the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Galatians 5:24 and they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Galatians 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

God gave us many commandments, but the greatest one is love, Matthew 22:36-40. Now just how does one love with all their heart, especially in a world that seems to be filled with so much hate towards one another. How many times have you hated your persecutors, but yet call yourself a Christian.

If we are led by the Spirit let us also walk in the Spirit. If we truly know God then we would know his love for us even in our own imperfections of the flesh as we allow his righteousness to perfect our spiritual inner man so we can be prepared to stand before the judgment seat of Christ, 2Corinthians 5:10.

A sign of true faith is manifested in obedience to God’s perfect will of love that as Christ loved us and gave his life for us we should also have this same love in us for our neighbors that says Father forgive them for they know not what they do. Even through the persecutions Jesus was subjected to he never lost focus that he was in the Father’s will and what his purpose was here on earth.

Temperance is another fruit of love that we should know the mind of Christ that we will not conform to the ways of this world even though we have to live in it, but to restrain from the ways of this world as we crucify this flesh daily. If any one loves this world then the love of the Father is not in them, 1John 2:15-17.

I know it is so easy to get into the flesh, especially when someone is lashing out at you and the flesh is quick to retaliate as even I get into the flesh at times when I take my focus off God’s will and I do believe God knows we will get into the flesh at times as we are not perfect, but do strive for that perfection that is in Christ. This is where God’s grace and mercy comes in as even though we mess up at times he is quick to forgive us as we need to be quick to forgive those who come against us and never hold a grudge.

Meekness shows patience and the trying of our faith that we may be perfect and entire wanting nothing, James 1:2-4. Gentleness, goodness and faith will always bring us into submission of the perfect will of God’s love, which is the greatest gift of all. Let us display this gift of love in our own lives so others will see the love of Christ shine through us.​
I think that we can take God's love for His creatures so far that we forget about the fact that He is also a just God.

So, having said that and gotten it out of the way...
What I believe is that the NT is the story of love.

I was at a gathering yesterday, a liturgy to be exact, and the priest there was saying that if we can't love each other and act accordingly, then we have not understood the message of Jesus.

Also, I think of the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes.
Jesus spoke to the qualities you mention above:
Matthew 5:3-10
Blessed are the poor in spirit.
Blessed are those who mourn.
Blessed are the gentle.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.
Blessed are the merciful.
Blessed are the pure in heart.
Blessed are the peacemakers.
Blessed are the persecuted.

The proud and haughty do not seem to be members of the Kingdom.
Instead it is those that know they are weak and needful of God.
It's this precise weakness that makes us understand that all of humanity is weak and needful and the proud and haughty ways gain nothing.

I think this is a key to love....
we don't have to FEEL love for everyone,
but we could see their need for spirituality and love them for what they are:
a creature of God.

P.S. and ACT as if we loved them anyway, even without any "feeling".

I think that we can take God's love for His creatures so far that we forget about the fact that He is also a just God.

So, having said that and gotten it out of the way...
What I believe is that the NT is the story of love.

I was at a gathering yesterday, a liturgy to be exact, and the priest there was saying that if we can't love each other and act accordingly, then we have not understood the message of Jesus.

Also, I think of the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes.
Jesus spoke to the qualities you mention above:
Matthew 5:3-10
Blessed are the poor in spirit.
Blessed are those who mourn.
Blessed are the gentle.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.
Blessed are the merciful.
Blessed are the pure in heart.
Blessed are the peacemakers.
Blessed are the persecuted.

The proud and haughty do not seem to be members of the Kingdom.
Instead it is those that know they are weak and needful of God.
It's this precise weakness that makes us understand that all of humanity is weak and needful and the proud and haughty ways gain nothing.

I think this is a key to love....
we don't have to FEEL love for everyone,
but we could see their need for spirituality and love them for what they are:
a creature of God.

P.S. and ACT as if we loved them anyway, even without any "feeling".
I agree He is a just God and His judgements are righteous, but we are also told to love and pray for our enemies. When they who persecute us see that we love them and are praying for them this allows the light of Christ shine through us. It reminds me of the Centurion that persecuted Jesus, but then recognized the love Jesus had for Him.

Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
Mat 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

I agree He is a just God and His judgements are righteous, but we are also told to love and pray for our enemies. When they who persecute us see that we love them and are praying for them this allows the light of Christ shine through us. It reminds me of the Centurion that persecuted Jesus, but then recognized the love Jesus had for Him.

Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
Mat 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
What does Matthew 5,48 mean?

I am interested too.

Verse 46 uses a form of agape but we need a little Greek lesson here.
To help understand 48.
eddif
Does the word love switch back and forth in this thread.
It is an agape love as in brotherly love, even towards our enemies as we are to love and pray for them in hopes that they will come to the Lord.

It is an agape love as in brotherly love, even towards our enemies as we are to love and pray for them in hopes that they will come to the Lord.
Not there yet but hopefully getting there.
Hebrews 13:1 kjv
1. Let brotherly continue.
(Philo ?)

John 21:15 kjv15. So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.

Jesus First love agape
Peters love comment philo?
Jesus used agape
Peter used philo

Word studies can drain all spirituality from everything.

The Matthew 5:48 (area verse 46) that Wondering questioned, uses a form of agape that Strongs definition sound like philo.

Agape love can be very tough love IMHO, but my opinion can be wrong.

To some love is gushy sweet. I tend toward seeing different Greek words used but English usually just translates as love.

Greek is beyond me. I found out every denomination tends to make Greek say what they believe. But ultimately love needs to enshroud every word study. (LOL)

I guess I am also asking if the title of this thread uses all forms of love, and if so can we have hints as we go along as to which root and Greek level is being discussed. I will do my best to not bring this up every other post. I will try and stay in Strongs silently. Hints would help though.
I also do not want to attract a bunch of experts that will bog down a thread that has great potential.

eddif

I believe it means a perfect love like how Christ loves us as we are to love others.
I'm tagging eddif ...

The love spoken of in Matthew 5:43-48 is agape love.
Agape love is the love that God has for us and how we should love others.
It's a non-selfish love that considers the needs of the other.
It is surely a perfect love, as you've stated. God does everything perfectly.

Agape

Agape could be defined as charity. However, we often think of charity nowadays as giving away money or things, which doesn’t encompass all of what agape is about. Agape love is unconcerned with the self and concerned with the greatest good of another. Agape isn’t born just out of emotions, feelings, familiarity, or attraction, but from the will and as a choice. Agape requires faithfulness, commitment, and sacrifice without expecting anything in return.

This is the type of love the Bible speaks about the most. The New Testament references agape over 200 times.

source: https://www.christianity.com/wiki/christian-terms/what-does-agape-love-really-mean-in-the-bible.html

I've always understood Matthew 5:48 to mean to be complete.
Jesus knew very well that we could not be perfect.
I believe He spoke of being perfect as a goal in life...to become always better somehow.
And I also believe it means to be perfect in completeness...complete as in trying to be the most like Jesus as we can, not that we will ever be like Jesus.
But it's an aspiration, a goal that we'd like to reach.

I think of Philippians 4:8
We're to keep our mind on the things of above...
realizing the sin in man (all of us) and seeing others need for God, which maybe they do not worship.
But also seeing the beauty that God made and the beauty that could be if we were all one in mind.

I'm tagging eddif ...

The love spoken of in Matthew 5:43-48 is agape love.
Agape love is the love that God has for us and how we should love others.
It's a non-selfish love that considers the needs of the other.
It is surely a perfect love, as you've stated. God does everything perfectly.

Agape

Agape could be defined as charity. However, we often think of charity nowadays as giving away money or things, which doesn’t encompass all of what agape is about. Agape love is unconcerned with the self and concerned with the greatest good of another. Agape isn’t born just out of emotions, feelings, familiarity, or attraction, but from the will and as a choice. Agape requires faithfulness, commitment, and sacrifice without expecting anything in return.

This is the type of love the Bible speaks about the most. The New Testament references agape over 200 times.

source: https://www.christianity.com/wiki/christian-terms/what-does-agape-love-really-mean-in-the-bible.html

I've always understood Matthew 5:48 to mean to be complete.
Jesus knew very well that we could not be perfect.
I believe He spoke of being perfect as a goal in life...to become always better somehow.
And I also believe it means to be perfect in completeness...complete as in trying to be the most like Jesus as we can, not that we will ever be like Jesus.
But it's an aspiration, a goal that we'd like to reach.

I think of Philippians 4:8
We're to keep our mind on the things of above...
realizing the sin in man (all of us) and seeing others need for God, which maybe they do not worship.
But also seeing the beauty that God made and the beauty that could be if we were all one in mind.
Matthew 5:46 is subjective and I suppose goes along with verse 48 too.

Rednecks just have a lot of problems with suave. Want to be ain't is. Not having been into the civilized behavior makes for me asking these questions.

The Lord chastens whom he loves. The fruit of that love is maybe not the same as some other love. My wife kinda knows how to chasten.

eddif

Not there yet but hopefully getting there.
Hebrews 13:1 kjv
1. Let brotherly continue.
(Philo ?)

John 21:15 kjv15. So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.

Jesus First love agape
Peters love comment philo?
Jesus used agape
Peter used philo

Word studies can drain all spirituality from everything.

The Matthew 5:48 (area verse 46) that Wondering questioned, uses a form of agape that Strongs definition sound like philo.

Agape love can be very tough love IMHO, but my opinion can be wrong.

To some love is gushy sweet. I tend toward seeing different Greek words used but English usually just translates as love.

Greek is beyond me. I found out every denomination tends to make Greek say what they believe. But ultimately love needs to enshroud every word study. (LOL)

I guess I am also asking if the title of this thread uses all forms of love, and if so can we have hints as we go along as to which root and Greek level is being discussed. I will do my best to not bring this up every other post. I will try and stay in Strongs silently. Hints would help though.
I also do not want to attract a bunch of experts that will bog down a thread that has great potential.

eddif
The title of this thread is the fruit of love according to the definitions found in Galatians 5:22-26 as these are the fruits of the Spirit that we need to be displaying towards others. I'm quite sure there is a pantry list of definitions for the word love, but only concentrating on these ones.

BTW, Greek can be confusing, especially when Jesus spoke Aramaic as most of the Jews did after the 6th Centaury. I think it does cloud up that which is Spiritual at times.

Matthew 5:48 means to be “complete” or “whole”
as God is complete. It isn’t setting up a standard impossible to
achieve, moral perfection 24/7. The standard is to be whole inside which is a work of the Holy Spirit becoming reality as we choose to do His will.

I think it’s more helpful to look at the matter practically, that is, what does actually living these words look like?

Loving others in the sense that God wants, means wanting (and doing as deeds present themselves) the best for the other whether or not it’s our best. It requires no feelings one way for the other, just enough for God to obey Him. One can help or pray for your “enemy” without even liking them. It is the opposite of jealousy and competition or belittling the other. It’s treating them (not necessarily feeling for them) as you would like to be treated.

Galatians 5 for_his_glory post 1
Matthew chapter 5 Wondering
post 2

Now for
2 peter 1:4 kjv
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
2 Peter 1:5
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2 Peter 1:6
And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2 Peter 1:7
And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2 Peter 1:8
For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shallneither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The words are not exact in the three examples, but the kingdom principles are very similar.

The law has them a little more hidden.

Even Revelation
Revelation 22:1 kjv
And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
Revelation 22:2
It flowed down the center of the main street. On each side of the river grew a tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, with a fresh crop each month. The leaves were used for medicine to heal the nations.

If we look mainly at the fruit of love I suppose it might be in the 12 crops.

Of course the cerebellum sits as an inner tree on either side of the spinal fluid river. We are the temple to manifest fruits. LOL

Mississippi redneck
eddif

post 2

Now for
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shallneither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The words are not exact in the three examples, but the kingdom principles are very similar.

Even Revelation
And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
It flowed down the center of the main street. On each side of the river grew a tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, with a fresh crop each month. The leaves were used for medicine to heal the nations.

Of course the cerebellum sits as an inner tree on either side of the spinal fluid river. We are the temple to manifest fruits. LOL

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Rev 22:2 the twelve crops of fruit are charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control and Chasity. The leaves were used for medicine to heal the nations as God leads His people (nations) into freedom from the rudiments of this world as we are now at peace from all oppression.

Any chance we want to try and deal with brotherly kindness type love?
Isaiah 58:6 kjv
Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isaiah 58:7 kjv
Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Isaiah 58:8 kjv
Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.

Never looked for the fruit of brotherly kindness before. Sound right?

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Amen!

John 13:31-35

31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.
32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.
33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Amen!

John 13:31-35​

31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.
32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.
33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Love, Walter and Debbie
Amen. We need to love as Christ loves us.

post 2

Now for

Even Revelation

Mississippi redneck
eddif
You know eddif, I don't know too much about Revelation -
But what you wrote above about the cerebellum is very interesting and it reminded me that the macro is the same as them micro. If one took a pic of something or other, it would be difficult to know if it's in the universe or in the body.

Cherry-flavored cheerios anyone?

1660225556607.png

(red blood cells)

You know eddif, I don't know too much about Revelation -
But what you wrote above about the cerebellum is very interesting and it reminded me that the macro is the same as them micro. If one took a pic of something or other, it would be difficult to know if it's in the universe or in the body.

Cherry-flavored cheerios anyone?

View attachment 14531

(red blood cells)
2 Corinthians 12:2
I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

eddif

1660225556607.png

(red blood cells)
Impossible for fruit to develop in us without the breath of the Holy Spirit being delivered to where it is needed.

eddif

Back