Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

GERD (acid reflux) freakin sucks

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
Last year I began waking up in the middle of the night gasping for breath, and sometimes vomiting. Dr said it's acid reflux. Got prescription strength Omeprazole. Fewer episodes. Only got them when I forgot to take the meds for a few days.

Except it seems now that I'm starting to get episodes even when I take my meds. Agh.

Have you ever spoke to your own body in the name of Jesus and commanded this infirmity to go away?

I suggest you do this. Don't pray to God to heal this because by his stripes you were healed. He has given you authority and told you in the Bible to speak to your mountain. So do it and believe.

I have had some succcess by doing this. Nothing huge but minor ailments such as these don't seem to be much of a problem for me. It is certainly worth a try for you. Might be a good idea to take a look at your diet also and perhaps make some adjustments also? It might just go away and leave you wondering wow no more problems with it.

I used to get acid reflux all the time. It is a very very rare occurance now and always related to my own poor choice of diet. So this is not a big thing to defeat, Sister.
:pray

Have you ever spoke to your own body in the name of Jesus and commanded this infirmity to go away?

I suggest you do this. Don't pray to God to heal this because by his stripes you were healed. He has given you authority and told you in the Bible to speak to your mountain. So do it and believe.
Phew, I'm glad Ari takes meds instead of doing this.
Might be a good idea to take a look at your diet also and perhaps make some adjustments also?
That's possible, depending on what your doctor says.

evenifigoalone
I feel for you, and long term use of Omeprazole may leave your rear leaking and GI issues that are not any fun…. That’s been my experience anyway. Both issues have went away since stopping Omeprazole.

The very first thing you can do is adjust your diet. No spicy or acidic food. Keep it bland. Oddly, this includes tomatoes. I had tomato soup yesterday and I paid the price…. Not fun. I used to eat 2 clementines a day. I can’t have those anymore either.

For instant relief, try sipping vinegar. It’s like 3.50 at Walmart, but I’m cheap so I make my own. My own is a lot stronger, and a fraction of the cost. Here is how I make it. I am reusing a small sipping vinegar glass container.

1. Apple Cider vinegar with mother. It has to have mother. Again, I bought Walmart brand.
2. A couple tablespoons of honey. I buy unfiltered local honey, but that’s more for seasonal allergies.
3. Ginger paste. Just a squirt. I used just shy of an inch. You can get ginger in paste form in the refrigerated produce section at Walmart.

Shake until fully mixed. Sip as needed but at least once a day if you need it or not. Otherwise, your heartburn will return. I am learning the hard way that daily is needed to prevent heartburn before it starts.

I can tell you this, if your heartburn is bad and you take a sip, it feels like your heartburn elevates 10 fold for just a few seconds. Sometimes it’s like a shot of cheap whiskey. However, give it a few seconds and your heartburn is completely gone. There are other great benifits for sipping vinegar, including maintaining a healthy gut (I don’t know how) and weight loss.

Another thing I use is a bit more speedy. When I was weaning off Omeprazole I took this product 4 times a day. Now I take it every other day. It costs $17 a bottle. It will last about 2 weeks using it 4 times a day.

881FFE70-9770-4C56-A4B1-DD8E82BA89E0.jpeg

evenifigoalone
I feel for you, and long term use of Omeprazole may leave your rear leaking and GI issues that are not any fun…. That’s been my experience anyway. Both issues have went away since stopping Omeprazole.

The very first thing you can do is adjust your diet. No spicy or acidic food. Keep it bland. Oddly, this includes tomatoes. I had tomato soup yesterday and I paid the price…. Not fun. I used to eat 2 clementines a day. I can’t have those anymore either.

For instant relief, try sipping vinegar. It’s like 3.50 at Walmart, but I’m cheap so I make my own. My own is a lot stronger, and a fraction of the cost. Here is how I make it. I am reusing a small sipping vinegar glass container.

1. Apple Cider vinegar with mother. It has to have mother. Again, I bought Walmart brand.
2. A couple tablespoons of honey. I buy unfiltered local honey, but that’s more for seasonal allergies.
3. Ginger paste. Just a squirt. I used just shy of an inch. You can get ginger in paste form in the refrigerated produce section at Walmart.

Shake until fully mixed. Sip as needed but at least once a day if you need it or not. Otherwise, your heartburn will return. I am learning the hard way that daily is needed to prevent heartburn before it starts.

I can tell you this, if your heartburn is bad and you take a sip, it feels like your heartburn elevates 10 fold for just a few seconds. Sometimes it’s like a shot of cheap whiskey. However, give it a few seconds and your heartburn is completely gone. There are other great benifits for sipping vinegar, including maintaining a healthy gut (I don’t know how) and weight loss.

Another thing I use is a bit more speedy. When I was weaning off Omeprazole I took this product 4 times a day. Now I take it every other day. It costs $17 a bottle. It will last about 2 weeks using it 4 times a day.

View attachment 14215
Mkay, but what all includes acidic foods? I'm not eating all that much acidic stuff, aside from like, soda.

Mkay, but what all includes acidic foods? I'm not eating all that much acidic stuff, aside from like, soda.

The book is called "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Frank & Phyllis Balch.

I got my replacement copy (don't loan it out!) for 4 bucks on Amazon (used).

It goes through lots of foods, all vitamins, all herbs and a lot of disorders. There is an entry for Acidosis. Has a list of acid forming foods and akalaine forming foods, which foods to stay away from. which ones to eat. Which herbs and vitamins to take, which OTC remedies to take. and on and on...

Soda is on the list. I would think that, the worse your symptoms are, the more you want to do (more of) what the book says. Your symptoms sounds very bad.

It's worth the 5 bucks for the book. The book is so good, that when it did not come back to me from loaning it out...I replaced it, quickly. That book did not become the one that, I used to have that book but no more, I loaned it out.

There is a huge list of acid forming foods. I hope you can still eat with the book's diet for acidosis! At first glance it sort of looks like, avoid food altogether, lol. Not really, but it is a big list.

That’s good information Edward
I may have to pick up that book.

I just finished my daily cup of coffee and I can feel a slight burn. More than likely because I ran out of my Lilly of the field” two days ago. The burn is the price I pay for my cup of coffee.

That’s good information Edward
I may have to pick up that book.

I just finished my daily cup of coffee and I can feel a slight burn. More than likely because I ran out of my Lilly of the field” two days ago. The burn is the price I pay for my cup of coffee.

I was reading about acidosis some more after posting and it said for too much acid, one should eat 50% of their daily intake as raw fruits & veggies.

I bet she could make her own soda pop to drink and choose her own ingrediants. Even run it through a seltzer bottle to carbonate it! At today's prices it would prolly cost a bit more than soda, but would be super healthy instead.

Our body is like a race car engine. You have to put in the proper fuel to get it's performance up. Don't eat cheap gas! I bought me a juicer awhile back. I love that thing!

You’ll have to give up your soda…. I had to drop to one cup of coffee a day!

Soda is on the list.
Yes I too gave up soda and things were so much better with me after . My acid reflux was bad for so long I had to get my esophagus dilated (streched ) because I was having major problems swallowing food . I also had been taking NSAID's for years and I finally got off those .

Yes I too gave up soda and things were so much better with me after . My acid reflux was bad for so long I had to get my esophagus dilated (streched ) because I was having major problems swallowing food . I also had been taking NSAID's for years and I finally got off those .
I’ve never been a big soda drinker, but I do so even less.
I was on Omeprazole and an NSAID which I read you shouldn’t be on both at the same time. It caused prehyertension. My blood pressure has since dropped and in its normal range again.

What side effect did the NSAIDs have on you?

I’ve never been a big soda drinker, but I do so even less.
I was on Omeprazole and an NSAID which I read you shouldn’t be on both at the same time. It caused prehyertension. My blood pressure has since dropped and in its normal range again.

What side effect did the NSAIDs have on you?
Well understand that I took NSAIDs regularly for 20+ years so I had about every side effect you could have from them .
Background on me , I have ankylosis spondylitis , a type of arthritis .
Side effects I had , heartburn , gas , constipation , diarrhea , dizziness , tinnitus . My Doctor would have a new NSAID to try every once in awhile and what would be the side effects of this new one ? I would get to find out :squint .

Thing are so much better with me now , I eventually found out online that starch in the diet is a big trigger on the inflammation I was having . Things I loved of course ! Biscuits , rolls , doughnuts , pizza , bread of all kinds . Refined starch is the worst . Fried starch ( doughnut , funnel cake ) is bad pain for me .

If I eat starch now it is almost all of the non-refined kind such as a potato or banana .

Keep the weight down, eat as much natural God-given foods as possible (i.e. no processed foods) and sleep on your left side only. Here's a picture of the human digestive system. Can you see why? If you have a bad esophageal sphincter valve or for that matter a hiatal hernia stuff can come out and NO gorging on food before bed. Give it a few hours to digest. Did your doctor give you this commonsense advice? If not, it makes me wonder why some doctors have cornflakes where their brains ought to be and why a technical mathematician here who loves Sir Isaac Newton and sundials is giving you this advice instead.
Human-Digestive-System-and-All-Parts.jpg

Most of the GERD acid is produced in your own stomach. HCl, hydrochloric acid, is produced in the digestive tract. Omeprozol, and other acid blockers, try to decrease the amount of acid produced.

I also have GERD and took a variety of blockers on a rotating cycle. My body seems to build up a tolerance after a couple of months. Cimetidine and Rantidine are now off the table as the first interferes with other meds I take and the 2nd has been taken off the market due to cancer concerns. That leaves famotodine which I am taking now along with Tums. That seems to offset the tolerance factor; at least somewhat.

I lost a friend to GERD about 25 years ago.

Back