Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Gifts of the spirit!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
What is the Purpose of the gifts of the Holy Spirit?

Together with prayer and the virtues of Jesus Christ the gifts of the spirit supply for the defects of original sin and fallen human nature, with grace they enable us to subject the lower carnal passions unto the intellect and will and thereby accomplish the will of God!

The gifts of the spirit help produce the fruits of the spirit!

The gifts of the Holy Spirit:

Wisdom:
Understanding:
Counsel:
Knowledge:
Piety:
Fortitude:
Fear of the Lord:

Fruits of the spirit:

Love:
Joy:
Peace:
Patience:
Kindness:
Generosity:
Faithfulness:
Gentleness:
Self-control:

All about the Christian virtues!

Virtues are a supernatural help from God that help supply the defects of our fallen human nature!

Theological Virtues: Faith, Hope, & charity!

Faith:

Faith is an intellectual assent to a truth revealed by Christ and proposed by His holy church for our belief!

“Faith is the virtue by which we firmly believe all the truths God has revealed, on the word of God revealing them, who can neither deceive nor be deceived (John 20:29)”

Act of Faith
O my God, I firmly believe that Thou art one God in three Divine Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I believe that Thy Divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because Thou hast revealed them, Who canst neither deceive nor be deceived. Amen.

Hope:

“Hope is the virtue by which we firmly trust that God, who is all-powerful and faithful to His promises, will in His mercy give us eternal happiness and the means to obtain it (Romans 8:24-25)”

Act of Hope
O my God, relying on Thy almighty power and infinite mercy and promises, I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, the help of Thy grace, and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer. Amen.

Charity:

“Charity is the virtue by which we love God above all things for His own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God (deut. 6:5, 1 Corinthians 13:1-2)”

Act of Charity (Love)
O my God, I love Thee above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because Thou art all good and worthy of all my love. I love my neighbor as myself for the love of Thee. I forgive all who have injured me, and ask pardon of all whom I have injured. Amen.

Cardinal or moral Virtues: Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance!

Prudence:

Prudence is the virtue that disposes practical reason to discern our true good in every circumstance and to choose the right means of achieving it.

Justice:

It is the moderation or mean between selfishness and selflessness – between having more and having less than one's fair share.

Justice is the moral virtue that consists in the constant and firm will to give their due to God and neighbor. Justice toward God is called the “virtue of religion.” Justice toward men disposes one to respect the rights of each and to establish in human relationships the harmony that promotes equity with regard to persons and to the common good.

Fortitude:

Fortitude is the moral virtue that ensures firmness in difficulties and constancy in the pursuit of the good. It strengthens the resolve to resist temptations and to overcome obstacles in the moral life. The virtue of fortitude enables one to conquer fear, even fear of death, and to face trials and persecutions. It disposes one even to renounce and sacrifice his life in defense of a just cause.

Temperance:

Temperance is defined as moderation or voluntary self-restraint in regards to food and drink, especially alcohol.

Christian Virtues:

Humility:

Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist, there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance.
—St. Augustine

Humility is truth! Any exaggeration either way, to belittle or to self-aggrandize is a violation of the virtues of humility.

Moderation:

Avoiding extremes or excesses, restraint from excesses such as extravagant luxury or splurging, and restraint from rage or craving by practicing self-control.

Obedience:

Submission to proper authority.
To the will of God in all things, and proper authority established by God in the government, family, the workplace, and the authority of Christ exercised in Holy mother church.

Courage:

Choosing to do good, especially when that is most difficult. Courage most demands our respect when it incurs risk without selfish motivation. Courage is moral strength in the face of danger.

Generosity:

The virtue of being liberal in giving. Generosity is giving to another person something of yours as an act of freewill, without obligation.

Meekness:

A virtue that moderates anger and controls resentment toward others. It is finding strength through submission to the will God.

Honesty:

A virtue that seeks truthfulness, a respect for our neighbors property and goods, fair dealing, fidelity to promises.

Modesty:

A virtue of self control necessary for guarding purity, & chastity. A modest person dresses, speaks, and acts in a manner that supports and encourages purity and chastity, and not in as manner that would tempt or encourage sinful sexual behavior.

Modesty is an especially important virtue for women, for it moderates the desire to be seen and known in a sexual way, a lady must practice modesty and decorum at all times, a lady would never dress as a man, wearing pants or shorts, and modesty prevents all modes of perversion such a man wearing ladies underwear etc.

Modest behavior respects the boundaries of intimacy that are imbedded in our nature, by the natural law and the principles of sexual behavior laid out in Divine Revelation. Modesty ensures and supports purity of heart, a gift that enables us to see God’s plan for personal relationships, sexuality, and marriage.

Purity:

The virtue of benevolence—acting without any trace of evil or selfish motives. Intentions are pure only when they are free of self-interest, egoism, desire, envy, cruelty, spite, greed, malice, lust, trickery, and dishonesty.

Patience:

The ability to suffer in peace proclaiming always; “Thy will be done, and not mine”.

Perseverance:

Persistence, strength, growing in grace, remaining faithful to the end, Enduring.

Seven deadly sins:

Pride, anger, lust, gluttony, sloth, greed, envy.

Pride: self will, self interest, protest, rebellion, “I will not serve”.
Anger: hurt pride, “I am offended”.
Lust: improper sexuality.
Gluttony: lack of self control in regards food & drink, especially alcohol.
Sloth: lazy, self seeking, find you’re ease.
Greed: selfish desire for our neighbors goods.
Envy: despising the good our neighbor possesses.

The virtures are supernatural gifts, and helps from God that moderate, control, and eliminate the vices in the life of a Christian!

Together with prayer and the virtues of Jesus Christ the gifts of the spirit supply for the defects of original sin and fallen human nature, with grace they enable us to subject the lower carnal passions unto the intellect and will and thereby accomplish the will of God!

Wisdom:
Understanding:
Counsel:
Knowledge:
Piety:
Fortitude:
Fear of the Lord:

Fruits of the spirit:

Love:
Joy:
Peace:
Patience:
Kindness:
Generosity:
Faithfulness:
Gentleness:
Self-control:
You are mixing up Isaiah 11:1-5 and Rev 1:4 with the seven spirits that rest upon Christ Jesus with 1Corinthians 12. In Isaiah 11:1-5 and Rev 1:4 these are the spirit of the Lord that rest upon Him as these are the seven Spirits before the throne of God. The gifts of the Holy Spirit which are diversities of gifts, but given by the same Spirit and differences of administrations, but the same Lord. It is one body with many members, being the body of Christ with He being the head of the body.

Last edited:
Rebellion and Heresy is the fruit of pride.
Humility is truth, pride is error, and falsehood.
Faithfulness and obedience are the fruit of humility.

The truth will set you free, so false doctrine enslaves you in spiritual bondage and spiritual blindness
Jn 8:32

Example: Saul in his pride thought he was acting righteously and doing the will of God with true and correct faith but when the blinding light of Christ appeared he recognized how deep was his bondage and spiritual blindness!

The Corporal Works of Mercy​

The Corporal Works of Mercy are acts of love that address the physical and material needs of others. The Corporal Works of Mercy are:

• Feed the hungry.
  • Give drink to the thirsty. (Not jack & coke) Lol!
  • Clothe the naked.
  • Visit the imprisoned.
  • Shelter the homeless.
  • Visit the sick.
  • Bury the dead.

The Spiritual Works of Mercy​

The Spiritual Works of Mercy address the needs of peoples’ minds, hearts, and souls. The Spiritual Works of Mercy are:

• Admonish the sinner. (Give correction to those who need it.)
  • Instruct the ignorant. (Share our knowledge with others.)
  • Counsel the doubtful. (Give advice to those who need it.)
  • Comfort the sorrowful. (Comfort those who suffer.)
  • Bear wrongs patiently. (Be patient with others.)
  • Forgive all injuries. (Forgive those who hurt us.)
  • Pray for the living and the dead.

Wisdom:
Understanding:
Counsel:
Knowledge:
Piety:
Fortitude:
Fear of the Lord:

Fruits of the spirit:

Love:
Joy:
Peace:
Patience:
Kindness:
Generosity:
Faithfulness:
Gentleness:
Self-control:
The miraculous gifts of the Spirit, those listed in 1 Cor 12:8-10 have ceased as noted in 1 Cor 13:8. They had very specific purposes and were needed in the early fledgling church ti build it and edify it. They had no bible to guide them and needed such gifts. Since they were administered by the laying on of the apostle's hands, they've not been passed on. Read Luke 3:16, Luke 24:49, and carefully read Acts 2 especially.

The miraculous gifts of the Spirit, those listed in 1 Cor 12:8-10 have ceased as noted in 1 Cor 13:8. They had very specific purposes and were needed in the early fledgling church ti build it and edify it. They had no bible to guide them and needed such gifts. Since they were administered by the laying on of the apostle's hands, they've not been passed on. Read Luke 3:16, Luke 24:49, and carefully read Acts 2 especially.
Thanks

Doctrine of constancy or Unchangeable nature of Christ, His church, and His doctrine:

Christ promised to remain with his church Matt 28:19 acts 1:8

The church existed and exercised authority from Christ before the New Testament was written, and the church wrote it! So the church of the apostles does not require scripture to know the truth, they were taught by Christ in person and must teach us: Matt 28:19

Ephesians 1:10
That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Psalm 149:1
Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.

Blessed be God!
Blessed be His holy name!
Blessed be the most holy Trinity!

May the most holy,
most sacred,
most adorable,
most incomprehensible, and unutterable Name of God
be always praised,
blessed,
loved,
adored and
glorified, in Heaven, on earth, and by all the creatures of God!

Not by Faith alone?

Christ is the source of all grace merited them by suffering, bleeding and dying crucified on the cross.
Behold; I come to do Thy will!
Heb 10:7-9

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

On the royal way of the cross and suffering. Phil 1:29

Thy will be done not mine!

My Jesus it is for love of Thee who suffered much more for love of me.

My God; I believe, adore, hope, and love Thee, I beg mercy for those who do not.

In the pure doctrine of suffering and the cross is to be found true peace!

The way, truth, and the life. Jn 14:6

We can only follow, believe, and live in Him, conforming ourselves to Him in all things.

Not by Faith alone?

Christ is the source of all grace merited them by suffering, bleeding and dying crucified on the cross.
Behold; I come to do Thy will!
Heb 10:7-9

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

On the royal way of the cross and suffering. Phil 1:29

Thy will be done not mine!

My Jesus it is for love of Thee who suffered much more for love of me.

My God; I believe, adore, hope, and love Thee, I beg mercy for those who do not.

In the pure doctrine of suffering and the cross is to be found true peace!

The way, truth, and the life. Jn 14:6

We can only follow, believe, and live in Him, conforming ourselves to Him in all things.
It's never by faith alone, but only starts out our salvation by faith alone and the faith works come after that. No one can work for their salvation.

But what does any of this about faith alone have to do with the gifts of the Spirit given out by the Holy Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12?

Back