Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God's Promises To Israel Continue

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

veteran

God has continued His Promises to Israel throughout history, always at minimum to a believing remnant of Israel. Who knows about that? And what have those Promises been? And where?

veteran said:
God has continued His Promises to Israel throughout history, always at minimum to a believing remnant of Israel. Who knows about that? And what have those Promises been? And where?
I suggest that the New Testament teaches that all God's promises to Israel were fulfilled 2000 years ago.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.

I am always surprised that Christians think there are still promises on the table for nation of Israel. Does not Paul mean what he says here - all Christians are members of Abraham's family and therefore the "heirs" of any and all promises made to Abraham even if, at the time they were made to Abraham, they appeared to be for ethnic Israel.

Drew said:
veteran said:
I suggest that the New Testament teaches that all God's promises to Israel were fulfilled 2000 years ago.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.

I am always surprised that Christians think there are still promises on the table for nation of Israel. Does not Paul mean what he says here - all Christians are members of Abraham's family and therefore the "heirs" of any and all promises made to Abraham even if, at the time they were made to Abraham, they appeared to be for ethnic Israel.

Drew,

This is a politically charged discussion, the Old Covenant, etc. and the promises to Israel. But from Scriptures, I agree that the only Covenant from the OT that remains irrevocable is the Abrahamic Covenant (Heb 6:13-18) and if we read on, we see the centerpiece is Christ, not the Mosaic Covenant.

As to other Abrahamic covenants, such as land, those were fulfilled long before the Word became incarnate, as per Josua 21:43-45; 1 Kings 8:56; Nehemiah 9:7-8.

Unfortunately, there seems to be some confusion, even in Catholic ranks, on this issue, but a more careful reading of Scriptures and Tradition will be helpful.

An article very helpful for me was this one, esp. from page 18, which clarifies some ambiguity of the words of Pope John Paul 2 that some anti-sessionists were using to justify their position:

http://www.catholicintl.com/articles/The Old Covenant Revoked or Not Revoked for Culture Wars.pdf

Regards

One first must know what God's promises to Israel involve according to His Word. It involves a lot more than just the lands of promise. Israel is the name of Christ's future inheritance and it very much involves His Church. It is the name through which God's Birthright promises are committed, even today.

The error in many's thinking is in continually misapplying the name Israel to the unbelieving, like Jews who refuse Christ Jesus. In Romans 11:1-5, Apostle Paul showed that just as in Elijah's day God had preserved 7000 of Israel to Himself that had not bowed the knee to Baal, likewise in Paul's day there was a remnant of Israel according to the election of grace. That's enough for the promises to still be in effect towards.

With the spiritual Israel concept in Romans 9, Apostle Paul is showing just how God's promises to Israel have continued, and will continue for ever, through Christ Jesus. This is why Paul uses the title of "the commwealth of Israel" in the New Testament Book of Ephesians about Christ's Church. This is why our Lord Jesus promised that each of His 12 Apostles would sit upon thrones in His Kingdom judging over one of the 12 tribes of Israel.

This is why our Heavenly Father said the following that Israel will be a nation before Him forever...

Jer 31:35-37
35 Thus saith the LORD, Which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is His name:
36 If those ordinances depart from before Me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before Me for ever.
37 Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.
(KJV)

In Ezekiel 47-48, which is after Christ's coming, anyone who can read can easily see how that's about the 12 tribes all being joined back to the original inheritances of land which God promised their fathers. So debates that go directly against those Scriptures are a waste of time. God has ordained it, He has declared, it will happen as written.

So where's the promises, and what are they? And where are they today, among whom? I am surprised that so few know how our Lord Jesus moved those promises, not putting an end to them just because many of Israel didn't believe.

i believe these promises.

as many hebrews of today still accept that they land will be fully isreal again.
why would the lord not tell the disciples in acts that its not for them not to the seasons, but not the fact that the lord was done with the jews as a nation?

Back