Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Having difficulty with studying the Bible around my atheist family

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hi, new to the thread here and I just wanted some advice from anyone else who might be going through the same thing that I am undergoing...

I recently joined some online bible studies because I wanted to get back into the scriptures and grow in my faith. I found some great ones, including the one hosted by my church's men's ministry and some new ones that I stumbled across like BibleStudyForAll.Org and a nice little community I found on the Bible.com. But the problem is that my family just doesn't want to leave me alone when I'm studying the Bible. they always interrupt me, they don't respect my space when I ask them to leave me alone, my wife and children both think that my time wiht my group is not as important as them! It's hard because they are not christian and I don't want to raise my voice against them about this when I'm trying to learn how to bear the fruit of the spirit and be patient... Anyone have any advice?

I've never been in this situation myself, but I have known others that have.

I had a friend that was an adult living in her folks due to slight disability. She lived with her mother and her step-father, her biological father died when she was young. Neither her mother nor step-father believed in God and didn't come to church with her, usually someone from church would give her rides. Years later, I heard that her mother and step-father did start attending and they became saved. Her step-father passed away about a year or two ago from kidney complications (he had received transplants after battling cancer). She didn't care for him much most of the time because of the way he would get upset at her for "wasting her time" talking to her church friends on e-mail and things of that nature. It was difficult to keep in touch with her at times. When he became saved and passed, she was heartbroken and it was difficult on their family for a while.

She would usually study by herself in her room or stay for a while at church on Sunday's. It was difficult for her for many years, though, to study.

I knew an atheist that had Christian parents and whenever they did Bible studies, he didn't even want to be in the house - he acted like they had the plague. He'd go hide in his room, or think it was funny to disrupt them in some way and laugh about it, but I know something happened and he ended up kicked out of his home - he was homeless for a while and made some poor decisions.

It's hard for those living in an atheist household, I'm sure. I know some people listen to audio Bibles if they can't have an actual Bible in their home because those can be pretty easy to download through podcast and hide in a file.

You mentioned this being your wife and your children. I mean, depending on the age of your children - it can be natural for them to be disruptive and to keep you on your toes! A solution might be to study early of a morning, before your wife and children are awake. That way, you start the day with God's word and no interruptions! If mornings don't work, nights aren't as desirable because most people forget or are too tired and distracted by the day when that time rolls around.

Have you expressed to your wife that your group is important to you just like maybe certain hobbies and things are to her? That it should also be respected (I mean, as long as you aren't gone at group like all day for multiple days of the week or something that would be taxing on a family)?

I'm sorry to hear that your wife and children aren't sharing in this spiritual walk with you and I can imagine that is frustrating and difficult.

Ask them what they think is unfair about your group? Is it that you spend too much time away? Is it because they don't agree with your beliefs? Is it that it is scheduled on days they would like to do something as a family? What is it that bothers them? Figure this out and try and make a compromise with your wife and maybe your children depending on what their ages are and the situation. For example, if they think you're spending too much time away from home then you spend a little time with them before you go or something like that.

The best thing we have is prayer! Remember, when you are praying and praying for a miracle, things can sometimes get harder. I believe Satan pulls out his last wild card because he knows he's about to lose so things seem so bad for a little while, but do not give up! Keep going and keep praying! You are strong! You and God have got this!

Philippians 4:4-9

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

oddoutlander

Get up a couple of hours earlier in the morning while everyone is asleep. It's a lot quieter and you're a lot fresher. If your computer is not where you can do that without disturbing others, then buy a book on the same subject and move to room where you won't wake anyone up.

Quantrill

Shalom oddoutlander

my wife and children both think that my time wiht my group is not as important as them!

They are right in what they think, my friend. Despite what Bible course or group you are attending, however important it may be to you and whatever revelations you gain from it, your family comes first.

I'm confident in saying that I'm sure your relationship with your wife and children is of far more importance to Yahweh that your participation in a Bible group. Even if the time you spend with them doesn't profit your hunger for the Word, I believe you would be doing His will to pay heed to your families wishes (within reason) and the cost of your study progression.

That said, it is vital to make time to study the Word. If your family craves a lot of your time, perhaps ask for a set time on a set day each week for you to study. I do this with Sabbath with my family. So, for example, Saturday between 10am - 12pm, I study. In that short time, I ask for some quiet time alone.

However, it doesn't have to stop there. There are many other ways you can fit in study time during a busy schedule. The most effective I have found is audio Bibles, commentaries and teachings.

When I'm commuting to and from work, enjoying a lunch time walk, doing the weekly supermarket shop, having trouble sleeping, doing the chores around the house etc - I'm always listening to the Bible or some teaching. You'd be very surprised how much of the Bible you can get through by just introducing it into these otherwise "dead" times.

It has effectively allowed me to do a normal working week, spend plenty of time of family and still feel very edified, educated and "well-fed".

One final recommendation. Buy an e-reader, such as a kindle. Whilst this should never be a replacement for a physical Bible, it's awfully convenient for late night reading or to rest by your side in the living room for a quick few chapters.

In doing these things, remembering to put your families needs first and filling in every spare moment with your study of the Word, I believe the Father will bless you and enrich your studies. You might find that subjects that would usually take you a longer time to understand, will take you less time to unpack.

Love & Shalom

Hi, new to the thread here and I just wanted some advice from anyone else who might be going through the same thing that I am undergoing...

I recently joined some online bible studies because I wanted to get back into the scriptures and grow in my faith. I found some great ones, including the one hosted by my church's men's ministry and some new ones that I stumbled across like BibleStudyForAll.Org and a nice little community I found on the Bible.com. But the problem is that my family just doesn't want to leave me alone when I'm studying the Bible. they always interrupt me, they don't respect my space when I ask them to leave me alone, my wife and children both think that my time wiht my group is not as important as them! It's hard because they are not christian and I don't want to raise my voice against them about this when I'm trying to learn how to bear the fruit of the spirit and be patient... Anyone have any advice?
You need to find a balance so as not to ignore your family. Find a time when your family is not likely to need your attention like Quantrill said, pick a time early morning or other when you can have the time you need.

Another option might be to join a Bible study at your church or a neighboring church. If there is none, then perhaps starting one would be a good option. I meet every Tuesday morning for an hour at a men's prayer breakfast organized by a neighboring church. We read a chapter from the Bible and then discuss what we've read. I also attend a monthly men's group meeting sponsored by our church where we talk about Biblical things. This one has been attended by men from many denominations including our Lutheran, Baptist, Catholic, Mennonite, Church of Christ, and Amish. With all these different representations, it can be very interesting.

Last edited:
oddoutlander

I do want to say this. All the advice you have been given is good.

But, there is going to come a time when you will have to decide what is important. You being a Christian will force the issue. You may want to be a Christian and have peace with your family, but, your family may be against it. What do you do? Deny Christ for the sake of your family? Deny Christ for the sake of peace?

As a Christian, I say no. But it will be your decision.

Consider these verses. (Luke 12:49-53).

There is going to come a time when you have to stand up and say to your family, 'I am Christian'. I want to study the Bible. I am going to study the Bible. I am not ashamed of Jesus Christ and being a Christian.

It wont' be easy. But in your case, that time is coming.

Quantrill

oddoutlander welcome to CF and glad to have you with us.

You have been given some good advice to think on. Now comes my question to you. How much time, like hours every day do you devote to your studies, especially the online Bible studies?

There are peak moments during the day after you come home from work that you need to spend with your family and then there are down times to spend in studying. You need to talk with your wife and have a scheduled time where they are not to disturb you as it's a give and take when you have a family, even if they were all Christians, you still need that alone time.

Pray that God would soften the heart of your wife that her eyes would be opened to see who Jesus is through you and that He would bring others into her life that would influence her to believe.

Your family is in my prayers

Back