Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study HELL DOES NOT EXIST

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
the author teaches Greek
Yeah? I'm not sure what your point is. The author also indicated there are those who understand Greek who disagree.

However, my disagreement is based mainly on presuppositions that are being brought to the text that can't be supported Biblically.

Yeah? I'm not sure what your point is. The author also indicated there are those who understand Greek who disagree.

However, my disagreement is based mainly on presuppositions that are being brought to the text that can't be supported Biblically.
you know Greek and studied greek culture ?

why would the apostles knowing it ,hades ,the god of death and underworld choose those words ,instead of just using. a grave ?
why would the writers choose the words and smoke or their torment was forever (aeon,age to age )?
you argued we don't live forever but from,age to age .kinda the says the same .we don't die .Greek then didn't have our word forever .

I can post old Jewish sources on sheol and not a grave.

judaism says we are soul ,not have one ,it always has ,it also teaches that the words for soul are like clothes .out body is the outer garment .

you know Greek and studied greek culture ?

why would the apostles knowing it ,hades ,the god of death and underworld choose those words ,instead of just using. a grave ?
why would the writers choose the words and smoke or their torment was forever (aeon,age to age )?
you argued we don't live forever but from,age to age .kinda the says the same .we don't die .Greek then didn't have our word forever .

I can post old Jewish sources on sheol and not a grave.

judaism says we are soul ,not have one ,it always has ,it also teaches that the words for soul are like clothes .out body is the outer garment .
I can't speculate on why people chose the words they did.

However, before we presume something we should establish whether or not it is true. Too often in this debate people simply make assumptions and argue from them, never actually establishing whether or not their assumptions are factual. For instance, the bulk of this argument is based on the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man. Many assume this is an actual event. However, they never prove that it is. Therefore their argument is based on their assumption that the story is an actual event. It's also assumed that people live on after death. Again, it's never proven.

Then there are the translation issues on top of that.

Which texts do you not agree with?
Gear is a biblical scholar....
This does not mean you have to agree with him but you at least should know why.

I can't speculate on why people chose the words they did.

However, before we presume something we should establish whether or not it is true. Too often in this debate people simply make assumptions and argue from them, never actually establishing whether or not their assumptions are factual. For instance, the bulk of this argument is based on the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man. Many assume this is an actual event. However, they never prove that it is. Therefore their argument is based on their assumption that the story is an actual event. It's also assumed that people live on after death. Again, it's never proven.

Then there are the translation issues on top of that.
Jewish teachings in the Midrash ,and Talmud

to assume that the Pharisees didn't have teachings on things is ignoring the rule of the first audience .

Jesus talks more about a place of a nasty existrnce you claim,to just be one big poof.they don't feel it .yet I have bern around burn pits ,they do go out ,they smolder ,they have dogs or cats and goats who enter in and forage ,the smoke once the fires go ,is bad for your health even if you are near it .the stench is bad .
hades in Greek thought for the punishment is familiar to Jews and has the idea of fire ,darkness .

Jesus mentions being cast into outer darkness,weeping ,wailing and gnashing of teeth

unlike you I have had both paradigms your arguments are identical to the jw.

long read but he is quoting teachings of the targum ,that is before Jesus ministry .

cant assume that Jews didn't have such a view .

the guy is actually your way in viewing .

Jewish teachings in the Midrash ,and Talmud

to assume that the Pharisees didn't have teachings on things is ignoring the rule of the first audience .

Jesus talks more about a place of a nasty existrnce you claim,to just be one big poof.they don't feel it .yet I have bern around burn pits ,they do go out ,they smolder ,they have dogs or cats and goats who enter in and forage ,the smoke once the fires go ,is bad for your health even if you are near it .the stench is bad .
hades in Greek thought for the punishment is familiar to Jews and has the idea of fire ,darkness .

Jesus mentions being cast into outer darkness,weeping ,wailing and gnashing of teeth

unlike you I have had both paradigms your arguments are identical to the jw.

long read but he is quoting teachings of the targum ,that is before Jesus ministry .

cant assume that Jews didn't have such a view .

the guy is actually your way in viewing .
The whole eternal hell concept isn't compatible with Genesis 2:7.

I'm also aware that after the Babylonian captivity Jewish thought was influence by other nations.

If you can make an argument that it's possible for man to live on after death, I'm all ears. If not, then the eternal hell concept is irrelevant.

Butch,

Presuppositions need to be tested by the evidence to verify or.deny the points you make. Presuppositions are useless without the support of evidence.

Oz

Butch,

Presuppositions need to be tested by the evidence to verify or.deny the points you make. Presuppositions are useless without the support of evidence.

Oz
Presuppositions are the beliefs we bring to the text. I agree they need to be tested. They rarely are, that's my point

Back