Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hello to Everyone

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Greetings everyone.
I am a retired person living in Christchurch, New Zealand (the shaky city), attending a Presbyterian/Methodist Union church. Last year I moved here from Auckland, where I had been an elder and treasurer of a Presbyterian church for 23 years. For the first 12 years of my Christian life after by conversion to Christ in 1966, I attended Pentecostal churches, and in the late 1970s became disillusions with my last Charismatic church and so decided to "see how the other half lived" and joined an Anglican church.

After three weeks I became as mad as the rest of them. I discovered that beneath the formalism there was a lovely group of people who accepted me as one of them very quickly. One thing was that I could set my clock on the order of the services, where Pentecostal services would drag on and on, and some preachers would have been great if they finished half and hour before they actually did!

During my 19 year school teaching career I moved cities a number of times, and attended Baptist churches and finally moved to Auckland where I settled in the suburban Presbyterian church where I was quite happy and productive. It is interesting that these fellowships accepted me as just me, and didn't reject me because of my Pentecostal background. I think it is because I never pushed it, and where it seemed that others might be coming into the push to push it, I offered my services and experience as a Pentecostal to the minister to support him. That was very much appreciated and he was very glad to have someone who knew what it was all about but respected the culture of the church.

I am not ashamed of being a continuist as far as the Spiritual gifts are concerned and I am always prepared to enter into discussions in a respectful and civil manner. At the same time I have a Calvinist Puritan theology, although I stop short in supporting the notion that God deliberately predestines people to hell. Election, predestination, and God's foreknowledge are largely mysteries, and there is much that He does not explain, but requires us to accept by faith what we don't understand, and to do what we can to make disciples for Christ anyway.

I am married to "she who must be loved and obeyed at all times", and have two adult daughters. For the last 10 years of my working life I was a victim adviser with the Ministry of Justice, dealing mainly with domestic violence victims. I have a website: http://www.personal-communicaton.org.nz which has a good resource section of domestic violence articles.

Welcome to the forum Paul.
Great introduction. You have an interesting church history, which must help you understand where others are coming from.
I have been a member of a few different denominations too, but don't attend any now.
There are several members here from New Zealand.
I hope you soon feel at home with us.
God Bless.

Hi Paul,,,
I welcome you to the forum and I'm sure we have much in common
and much not in common.
However, we're all brother/sisters in Christ so please post and enjoy the fellowship.
God bless you.

Hi PaulChristensen and welcome to CF :wave2

Looking forward to getting to know you better and just jump in anywhere. We are a diverse group and sometimes we disagree with each other, but yet we try to keep the unity of love flowing throughout the forums as we grow in the word of God.

Back