Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Photographs Here's a Praying Mantis!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Well done. You have a shot to be proud of. Because mantises can turn their heads, they impress us as more expressive than most other insects.

Great pic, what lens and how much tube? I see you have included ownership where very few even know to look, good work.

Thanks! It was shot using a 120mm medium format macro lens on a aps-c digital camera. I used three extension tubes and a 2x converter to get that magnification. The banding is due to the small size of the image. the original has no banding.

Well done. You have a shot to be proud of. Because mantises can turn their heads, they impress us as more expressive than most other insects.

That was a problem I had. With that much magnification the depth of field was only about a quarter inch or so. Several time I had to adjcuts my setup do to the fact that the mantis would turn it's head or move slightly. Even with a macro rail it was difficult. It took about an hour and half to get that and another handful of images. Also due to the fact that the mantis was in shade the image required flash.

I'm not usually into macro, but I do love insects, and I was wondering what kind of lighting you use. I don't do it enough to justify a true ringflash, and I was wondering if you have any experience with the LED rings. I was concerned that they might spook insects if they were turned on.

BTW, I really like the way you can see one ocellus right through a transparent antenna. Remarkable shot.

I'm not usually into macro, but I do love insects, and I was wondering what kind of lighting you use. I don't do it enough to justify a true ringflash, and I was wondering if you have any experience with the LED rings. I was concerned that they might spook insects if they were turned on.

BTW, I really like the way you can see one ocellus right through a transparent antenna. Remarkable shot.

I like macro photography. It's one of the things that really go me interested. I used to love seeing the face of an ant on the cover of National Geographic. Because I use so much magnification for the shot and that it was in the shade I had to use flash. I used an off camera flash on the left side. The flash I used was a Sunpak 622 pro. I think a ring flash would have made the image flat with front lighting. I like the side light better as I think it gives the image more character. I also got the mantis to look to the right by moving my hand on that side. When he glanced at my hand I took the shot. Regarding the LED lights I can't answer as I've not used them.

Thanks! It was shot using a 120mm medium format macro lens on a aps-c digital camera. I used three extension tubes and a 2x converter to get that magnification. The banding is due to the small size of the image. the original has no banding.
It is well done! I'm not sure I could have done any better with my SLR 35mm before it all was stolen. And unlike so many, you had the initiative to take the shot.

A great macro lens is something I never got around to getting, but I did find a Phoenix 100mm macro that fit my Pentax. Cheaply made, totally manual, but with surprisingly good glass:
19402956540_7fb922df4e_c.jpg

4758377719_db6f38e7c1_b.jpg

Not at the level of your excellent shot, of course.

A great macro lens is something I never got around to getting, but I did find a Phoenix 100mm macro that fit my Pentax. Cheaply made, totally manual, but with surprisingly good glass:

I like the dragon fly.

They look great! Dragon flies can be difficult.

Back