Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

heresy... top three that we find here

should we speak out against heresy, or let it pass. Explain please.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
H

Henry

Modalism
       Modalism is probably the most common theological error concerning the nature of God.  It is a denial of the Trinity which states that God is a single person who, throughout biblical history, has revealed Himself in three consecutive modes, or forms.  Thus, God is a single person who first manifested himself in the mode of the Father in Old Testament times.  At the incarnation, the mode was the Son.  After Jesus' ascension, the mode is the Holy Spirit.  These modes are consecutive and never simultaneous.  In other words, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit never all exist at the same time, only one after another.  Modalism denies the distinctiveness of the three persons in the Trinity even though it retains the divinity of Christ.
     Present day groups that hold to this error are the United Pentecostal and United Apostolic Churches.  They deny the Trinity, teach that the name of God is Jesus, and require baptism for salvation.  These modalist churches often accuse Trinitarians of teaching three gods.  This is not what the Trinity is.  The correct teaching of the Trinity is one God in three eternal coexistent persons:  The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 

Monarchianism
      Monarchianism (mono - "one"; arche - "rule") was an error concerning the nature of God that developed in the second century A.D.  It arose as an attempt to maintain Monotheism and refute tritheism.  Unfortunately, it also contradicts the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity.  Monarchianism teaches that there is one God as one person:  the Father.  The Trinity is that there is one God in three persons:  Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.  The Trinity is monotheistic, not polytheistic as some of its critics like to assert.  Monarchians were divided into two main groups, the dynamic monarchians and the modal monarchians.   
     Dynamic Monarchianism teaches that God is the Father and that Jesus is only a man, denied the personal subsistence of the Logos and taught that the Holy Spirit was a force or presence of God the Father.  Present day groups in this category are the Jehovah'sWitnesses, Christadelphians, and Unitarians.  Additionally, some ancient dynamic monarchianists were also known as Adoptionists who taught that Jesus was tested by God and after passing this test and upon His baptism, He was granted supernatural powers by God and adopted as the Son.  Ancient teachers of dynamic monarchianism were Theodotians, a Tanner in Byzantium around 190 A.D., and Paul of Samosata a bishop of Antioch in Syria around 260 AD. 
     Modal monarchianism teaches that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are just modes of the single person who is God.  In other words, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not simultaneous and separate persons, but consecutive modes of one person.  Praxeas, a priest from Asia Minor, taught this in Rome around 200 AD.  Modern groups in this general category are the Oneness Pentecostal groups known as the United Pentecostal and United Apostolic Churches.  However, the present day modalists maintain that God's name is Jesus.  They also require baptism "in Jesus' name" not "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit" for salvation.

Socinianism.
       A heresy concerning the nature of God.  It is derived from two brothers of the surname Sozinni who lived in the 1500's in Poland.  Socinianism denies the doctrine of the Trinity claiming it denies the simplicity of God's unity.  Instead, God is a single person with the Holy Spirit as the power of God.  Since it emphasizes the unity of God, there could be no divine and human union in a single person as Christ.  Therefore, Socinianism denies the incarnation and deity of Christ as well as Christ's pre-existence.  It teaches that Jesus was only a man.  However, as is separate from the unitarians, it taught that Jesus was a deified man and was to be adored as such.  Nevertheless, since Jesus is not divine by nature, His sacrifice was not efficacious; that is, it did not result in the redemption of people who would trust in it.  Instead it was an example of self sacrifice.  The followers of Socinianism also rejected infant baptism, hell, and taught the annihilation of the wicked.  The Bible was authoritative but was only properly understood through rationalism.
     Of course, this system of belief is wrong since it denies the doctrine of the Trinity and deity of Christ.

Tritheism
     Tritheism is the teaching that the Godhead is really three separate beings forming three separate gods.  This erring view is often misplaced by the cults for the doctrine of the Trinity which states that there is but one God in three persons:  Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  The doctrine of the trinity is, by definition, monothestic.  That is, it is a doctrine that affirms that there is only one God in all the universe.  
     Tritheism has taken different forms throughout the centuries. In the early church the Christians were accused of being tritheists by those who either refused to understand or could not understand the doctrine of the Trinity. In the late 11th century a Catholic monk of Compiègne in France, Roscelin considered the three Divine Persons as three independent beings and that it could be said they were three gods. He maintained that God the Father and God the Holy Ghost would have become incarnate with God the Son unless there were three gods. 
     Present day Mormonism is tritheistic -- but with a twist. Mormonism teaches that there are many God's in the universe but they serve and worship only one of them.  The godhead for earth is to them really three separate gods: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.  The Father used to be a man on another world who brought one of his wives with him to this world - they both have bodies of flesh and bones.  The son is a second god who was literally begotten between god the father and his goddess wife.  The holy ghost is a third god.  Therefore, in reality, Mormonism is polytheistic with a tritheistic emphasis.
     Of course, tritheism clearly contradicts the teaching of the Bible regarding monotheism.
“You are My witnesses,†declares the Lord, “And My servant whom I have chosen, In order that yu may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me," (Isaiah 43:10).
“Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me," (Isaiah 44:6).
‘Do not tremble and do not be afraid; Have I not long since announced it to you and declared it? And you are My witnesses. Is there any God besides Me, Or is there any other Rock? I know of none,’†(Isaiah 44:8).

Here is the most "common" heresy amongst "believers."

Paul already spoke out against this practice, yet this practice is robust today in the "Church."

Romans 2:1
Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

Inexcusable is the "right word."

Romans 14:4
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

smaller

Just what do you mean when you say the Church? Are you talking about an orgnization or the people of faith. Certainly not all who are in the organization are people pf faith, the atheist pastor sometime back is proof of that.

I am not sure that what you are talking about is heresy though, but judgementalism. Heresy is a wrong teaching of the nature and character of God, but judgementalism is a human defect that we have to bear.

1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2 Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3 So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? 4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.

What we have here is a very good lesson in judgementalism. As is sadly found in the Church. But be carefull becuase what we tend to judge others of we do ourselves. You my friend for example if you judge the Church as judgemental, you are doing as you say they do, in doing so.

But we know that Gods judgement is true, so let God be God and we will not try to be God.

You see if we feel that we are going to judge someone remember that we too are guilty and are also judged by the same God as they. So we can not stand pointing our finger, lest God shows us our own sin.

Jesus said that we should carry each others burrdens, I think that having patience in the sins of others, as we know ourselve we are sinner was well, is part of what he was talking about.

Other wise, if we go about saying that this person is rotten and that sorry and pittifull, we make a mockery of the grace of God which saved us from the sins of our own hands. We are no better, only saved never forget that.

My brother, pray for them. And if in fact they teach a heresy by all means point out the error, but do it in love and with the heart of truth.

I'm upset! Calvinism didn't make the list... :lol: kidding.

Shouldn't the mod's take false teaching on and censor, yes censor it?

Free said:
Shouldn't the mod's take false teaching on and censor, yes censor it?

No. If we did, there would be very little discussion going on.

Anyone else get the funny irony of this response?

In love,
cj

The thing is all believers do not agree on each and everything for many reasons, and anything that disagrees with our understanding or belief may be considered to be heresy from our perspective. Many religious leaders in the day believed that Jesus was a heretic.

heresy:

An opinion or a doctrine at variance with established religious beliefs, especially dissension from or denial of Roman Catholic dogma by a professed believer or baptized church member.
Adherence to such dissenting opinion or doctrine.

A controversial or unorthodox opinion or doctrine, as in politics, philosophy, or science.
Adherence to such controversial or unorthodox opinion.
Dictionary.com

If we believe that someone is in error, I believe that we point out what we believe to be error without condemnation of the individual or without passing judgment on someone's faith. Paul said that of primary importance is that Jesus died for our sins. And so I believe that we need to stay focused on this, pray, and trust God for wisdom and guidance. God bless.

Jason

Calvinism is not heresy. Arminianism that might be though.

NO, the mods should not censor heresy, but they should engage and expose it. So that unlearned folks will learn and grow because it having been exposed.

Shana

Oh no, looks like you are saying that ones mans orthodoxy is anothers mans heresy. This is just the thing that we have to fight. This entire nonesence that what is right for me might wrong for you.

Like the false teaching of universal reconciliation, that is out right heresy. But becuase of this idiot idea of pluralism, Christians are left with out the ability to decern the lie and the unbilical nature of such a teaching.

We have to fight heresy PERIOD, if you do not the devil gets over on us and people are lost. Heresy is a lie, and why would we exuse and even encourage a lie?

Oh and let me say one more thing, just to say "Jesus died for our sins" does not excuse a lie, becuase the question then become which JESUS? He himself warned us false Christ, and to have placed your faith in a false Christ, well you are not saved simple as that.

You have got to believe that RIGHT Jesus Died for you, and not just any ole Jesus that is tossed your way.

For example the mormon Jesus is not the Jesus of the bible, so if you beleive the mormon Jesus died for you, then are saved NO you are not. Your faith must MUST be in the ONE and ONLY Jesus of the Bible. Period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing is all believers do not agree on each and everything for many reasons, and anything that disagrees with our understanding or belief may be considered to be heresy from our perspective. Many religious leaders in the day believed that Jesus was a heretic.

heresy:

An opinion or a doctrine at variance with established religious beliefs, especially dissension from or denial of Roman Catholic dogma by a professed believer or baptized church member.
Adherence to such dissenting opinion or doctrine.

A controversial or unorthodox opinion or doctrine, as in politics, philosophy, or science.
Adherence to such controversial or unorthodox opinion.
Dictionary.com

If we believe that someone is in error, I believe that we point out what we believe to be error without condemnation of the individual or without passing judgment on someone's faith. Paul said that of primary importance is that Jesus died for our sins. And so I believe that we need to stay focused on this, pray, and trust God for wisdom and guidance.

Like the false teaching of universal reconciliation, that is out right heresy. But becuase of this idiot idea of pluralism,

If this statement is directed to me concerning a belief in Christian Universalism (not pluralism), this is an incorrect statement. God bless.

Greetings Henry

What you mighte asking yourself is "why is judging another person's eternal destiny to damnation a heresy?"

A.) This is the greatest hatred and the greatest sin that one person can demonstrate to another person.

B.) This greatest hatred is put forth to those very ones we as "Christians" are Commanded Directly by God's Own Word to "Love."

C.) This greatest hatred is a complete denigration of the Work of The Holy Spirit in Jesus Christ who is "able" to raise all men" to Himself and not cast out any who come to Him.

So in effect you who "do such things" make the practice of continual blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

and that is why doing such a thing is a heresy. A very loud boasting.

You and no other man is equipped to measure eternal damnation to any other man based upon God's Word!

There is not one single instance of any named person in the entire bible said to be going to the Lake of Fire, nor is any named person even threatened with such a fate.

Those who practice this behaviour have fallen headlong into the "Great Deception." Paul tells us in his own words what the "Great Deception is" but most are so blinded in the judgment of others they cannot even read or hear it!

2 Thes. 2:11
And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth-

Those who practice eternal damnation upon mankind have received a mark.

One person's doctrine is anothers heresy.

If God saved people according to how well they knew the correct doctrines, and everything that is true, everybody would go to hell. :-D

....I voted yes. We should speak out against heresy or let it pass. :biggrin

I agree that "oneness" is one of the most common heresies here.
I think that universal reconciliation is even worse. Roman catholicism is another common heresy around here

Greetings mhess13

Here is what the reality of eternal judgment of others brings to your door:

Romans 2:1
Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

get it??? Paul didn't say "if" you doest the same things. He said you doest.

smaller

I am disturbed by your seemingly misunderstanding here. To point out heresy is not judging a person, but a teaching. And we are warned MANY times in the scripture about false teachings, false teachers and fasle Christs.

The Romans text is not talking about decerning true and false teachings, it it is talking about the way we act. Read the greater context here.

In other text the matter of false teaching is talked about and it is done so with ugency and warning, Paul says he warned about with tears.

A heresy is simpley a teaching that does not line with the contextual and clear teachings of the Bible. And the ones that I listed are historic heresies, which pop up here and there in this forum.

mhess13

I agree with you universal reconciliation is even worse. What is worse then leading someone away from Jesus, then to teach them they do not need to worry about Jesus at all.

Which heresy?

All of them! :)

However, for those who are sublimely innocent, that is to say, if their ancestors were the instigators of the heresy they are in, they are not at fault, are to be treated with gentleness, kindness and with the spirit of brotherly love.

And questions about their particular belief system, heresy as it might be, should be treated with kid gloves so as not to offend and chase away a potential convert.

A very hard thing to do, I think...

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Rome has spoken, case is closed.

Derived from Augustine's famous Sermon.

I agree with you, William, concerning the manner in which we should treat folk who we believe may be in error. A very tough thing to do.
I agree with you universal reconciliation is even worse. What is worse then leading someone away from Jesus, then to teach them they do not need to worry about Jesus at all.

Another incorrect statement. I wonder if Jesus had come in our time, how many would have branded Him as a heretic ? Just wondering. :biggrin God bless.

The Way Called Heresy

The Way Called Heresy

Paul before Felix said --
  • Acts 24:13 Neither can they prove the things whereof they now accuse me.

14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy,
    so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which
    are written in the law and in the prophets:

KJV, emphasis supplied
........Restin

Greetings Henry

I am disturbed by your seemingly misunderstanding here.

Perhaps you could make a logical statement or two in behalf of your position that my observation is not correct?
To point out heresy is not judging a person, but a teaching.

Here's your rebuttal. One, those who judge others for sin denigrate the work of Jesus on the cross, and two, they judge false judgment to others and themselves because of error number one. In addition there are numerous scriptures that must be outright denied or altered to committ the heresy of the condemnation of mankind for sin which is of the devil.

Want more? There's plenty. Methinks you don't like my observation of "heresy" 'cause it points into your own back pocket???
And we are warned MANY times in the scripture about false teachings, false teachers and fasle Christs.

And your point is what? How are we to trust you or any other man with sin indwelling. We must go to the scriptures for our "reasonings." Mens opinions and separations are irrelevant.
The Romans text is not talking about decerning true and false teachings, it it is talking about the way we act. Read the greater context here.

Uh, the way you act is a direct result of your personal violation of the "inexcusable" deed. Is there any heresy worse than "inexcusable???"
In other text the matter of false teaching is talked about and it is done so with ugency and warning, Paul says he warned about with tears.

A heresy is simpley a teaching that does not line with the contextual and clear teachings of the Bible. And the ones that I listed are historic heresies, which pop up here and there in this forum.

And you are merely presenting your own biased view of what you consider heresy. If you want to say why I am wrong, then focus on the core issues behind "why" people do the "inexcusable" and you will find the root of your "heresy." I already know many scriptures that must be twisted, ignored and trampled on to arrive at the "inexcusable" position. They are "numerous."
mhess13

And again you are simply mouthing your own biased eye on the position and not the position itself.

enjoy!

smaller

Blasphemies

Blasphemy and heresy are similar.....
  • Matthew 12:31 " Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32 " Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Mark 3:28 " Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter;
    29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"--
    30 because they were saying, "He has an unclean spirit."

Mark 11:25 "Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions.

NASU, w/emphasis supplied
.......Restin

Matthew 7:1-5
1 "Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
2 For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
3 Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
4 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

If you have never read past verse 1, then perhaps you are seeing the true meaning of this verse for the first time. Notice that Jesus did NOT ever say, don't judge - period. He exhorts us to judge with righteous judgment in John 7:24 and here in Matthew 7:1-5 He says first be sure you're right with God before pointing out someone else's sin, thus granting the right to judge.

So Henry, if you feel more righteous than the rest of us, then Son, have a field day. :)

I suggest instead of investigating and judging others you might want to judge your own belief system. In other words, you are unaware of your own house being on fire, but have gone out of your way to see if someone else's house is burning out there!

I suggest instead of telling others what is wrong with their belief, you might want to make sure you are not deceived in what you believe. You have an incomplete doctrine, Henry. There is so much more...you are still drinking milk when you could be feasting on meat and more....
To paraphrase an old saying...? Auntie Mame I think...

Living for God should be a banquet
and most poor souls are starving to death

Back