Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

hi there

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hi, I've been reading on this forum for a few days and decided it would be a good forum to join. I have come across quite a few people here in my reading who seem to posess solid character and wisdom in there posts and debates so i think this might be a good place for me.

My name is Ryan and would consider myself a follower of Christ and a believer in the one true God, Creator of this world. I am very apprehensive about applying a label to myself to belong to any one religion/denomination as i tend to have doctrinal issues with certain religions/denominations but i will keep those to myself unless someone is interested in my beliefs and stance. My parents were Baptist and Anglican and i was mainly brought up through the Baptist, Mennonite, and Pentacostal churches. The only thing that make me hesitant about calling myself a christian, even though by definition i would be, is the degradation of the term and how it is thrown about casually today and what non christians associate with it. no offence by the way.

I hope this site will help me in my continuing venture to becoming more like Christ. My walk in christianity has been quite rocky and unsettling and I have recently starting seeking God's will more earnestly. I will say that I truly was saved when i was 17 but as my life went one i fell away for awhile. But due to the circumstances in which i came to know who Jesus truly was and became saved I have never since that day doubted the existence of God I just have some reservations of where christianity sits today in their beliefs and ultimately their actions which go against the greatest commandment to love your neighbor as yourself.

Without getting into to much of a statement here, I just want to give a little insight as to where I'm coming from. I hope that i will find good christian fellowship here as we journey to become more Christlike.

Hi Ryan, and thanks for the intro. :).

Us Christians tend to be hypocrites - in fact we all are, as we are trying to be perfect, but obviously because of our human nature and our sin (which is essentially the same thing) we are failing - thus why we need Jesus. So in effect, although we are trying to practice what we preach (pun intended :lol) we do fail, so essentially we are hypocrites, which I think is what you are getting that. So the 'world' is quite right in its conclusion that us Christians are hypocrites in our actions. So it's extremely good news to hear that our works don't get us saved.

So I know what you mean when you say you are hesitant to label yourself as a Christian, because of the misconceptions this world has with Christianity - what the world thinks of Christianity is too many ideas to name, but Christianity definately is is a relationship with God through Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit as a mediator, and the fellowship of our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

But remember that we are only passing through this world, and that we truly belong in God's Kingdom, and it may well be for God's will for us to suffer for HIm, and if we do then we will be exalted. The books of James and 1 Peter talk a lot of this very concept, and I encourage you to study them.

So from what it sounds like you are a Christian...and I say go for naming yourself as one, as that is what you are.

:)

Back