Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Holiness - are we made holy through repentance and confession

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

PeterJens

God bless you
Hebrews tells us to live a Holy life
For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
Heb 10:14
And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Heb 10:10
For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 1 Thess 4:7
But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do 1 Peter 1:15

The point about being cleansed or made Holy, it is God doing the defining not ourselves.
Like riding a bike, while you are balanced and riding you are doing well. If you fall off
you need to get up again and carry on riding.

A believer said to me that they did not believe they could stand before God clean and holy, washed
by the blood, they had always to have Christ standing there instead.
I understand this because often our struggles and failures overwhelm, but it struck me we were telling
God what we are, not listening to Him minister to our hearts. Some believers in effect live in unbelief
as if Christ has not cleansed them, they are still sinners needing to be saved, rather than walking
in fellowship with the Lord. It appears being Holy is what Paul preached to the disciples who came
to Christ, so we equally need to accept this to honour the Holy Spirit and His work in our hearts.
This has become my conviction, and my walk of faith.
What do you think?

Some believers in effect live in unbelief
as if Christ has not cleansed them, they are still sinners needing to be saved, rather than walking
in fellowship with the Lord.
This is exactly why we have believers that not only believe in loss of salvation, but PUSH loss of salvation. They are living in unbelief even if they are born-again and saved.

John 10:28~~~~~~~~they will NEVER perish.

What do you think?
Holiness - are we made holy through repentance and confession
Partly true. Remember, Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life, as you hinted.
Truthful living is the way, which includes repentance and confession on our untruths, but in the meantime we stay true as best as we practice our faith to do so. In this way, on a daily basis, we keep our temple free from robbers robbing our soul.

Last edited:
Hi PJ
Could you tell us what Holy means?
To my understanding, being holy means to be set apart for service to God.
To be separate from the world and the beliefs of this world which are not Christian beliefs. It means to follow God and not man.

In one of your sentences you say that we are "being made holy".
And in another sentence you said that "we are holy".

So a lot depends on how one understands holiness.
I believe we are being made holy.
This is called Sanctification.

It does seem like an ongoing process..

1 Thessalonians 4:3 - For this is the will of God, [even] your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

Last edited:
Holy has several meanings all at the same time in English.
Set apart for special use is true. Some translations even use this as a translation (Set Apart Spirit)

It also means "good".
It also means "pure, free from error or defect" which can intend passionate when speaking about someone's heart.
But what is interesting and often overlooked is that Holy is not just an adjective. Holy isn't static. It will have a positive reaction to error. Pure gold resists tarnishing so it is said to be holy.

The world has an ecosystem. It also is Holy. If for some reason one of the creatures born doesn't do as designed it is instantly destroyed by the ecosystem it is a part of. Birds eat bugs and seeds, fly, and sings songs. If it doesn't do all these things it is removed from existence by starving, cats, or not entering the gene pool. (The other birds might attack it as well)

Which is why EVERYONE in the Old Testament was exceptionally scared of God. God is the Holiest of the Holiest of the Holy. A level of Holy so pure and reactive to error, mankind doesn't stand a chance in His presence.

Holy has several meanings all at the same time in English.
Set apart for special use is true. Some translations even use this as a translation (Set Apart Spirit)

It also means "good".
It also means "pure, free from error or defect" which can intend passionate when speaking about someone's heart.
But what is interesting and often overlooked is that Holy is not just an adjective. Holy isn't static. It will have a positive reaction to error. Pure gold resists tarnishing so it is said to be holy.

The world has an ecosystem. It also is Holy. If for some reason one of the creatures born doesn't do as designed it is instantly destroyed by the ecosystem it is a part of. Birds eat bugs and seeds, fly, and sings songs. If it doesn't do all these things it is removed from existence by starving, cats, or not entering the gene pool. (The other birds might attack it as well)

Which is why EVERYONE in the Old Testament was exceptionally scared of God. God is the Holiest of the Holiest of the Holy. A level of Holy so pure and reactive to error, mankind doesn't stand a chance in His presence.
You know so many interesting facts.
A couple of comments:

Your last paragraph is why I like the idea of our being "covered" by Jesus when the judgement comes, and, maybe, even in this life.
Galatians 3:27
Romans 13:14
and the Wedding Banquet --- requiring the proper clothing...
Mathew 22:1-14

As to the other aspect of nature.
It does seem to me that evil is not being diminished by good.

I see holiness, the Holiness of our God is not a thing to be attained but Holiness, like everything God created has stages, or levels of accomplishment. Fran, I agree with you. For man to be Holy is simple, it's a matter of submitting to the Guiding Hand of God, the Holy Spirit and allowing your life to become unapproachable. We Christians are not called out to be just like the people of this world we sojourn in but rather to become just like Jesus! (Rom. 8:29, 2Cor. 3:18, 1jon 3:2) In 1Pet, we learn that we are a called out and peculiar people, separated unto God.

What does all of than mean? Brothers and sisters, rejoice, shout and dance a jig in Church... even if you are a Stiff Necked Baptist. If you love God more than you do you own life, your body might pass away but the Spirit that is you will never, it will just have the sinful nature removed and become a living monument to our God!

I see holiness, the Holiness of our God is not a thing to be attained but Holiness, like everything God created has stages, or levels of accomplishment. Fran, I agree with you. For man to be Holy is simple, it's a matter of submitting to the Guiding Hand of God, the Holy Spirit and allowing your life to become unapproachable. We Christians are not called out to be just like the people of this world we sojourn in but rather to become just like Jesus! (Rom. 8:29, 2Cor. 3:18, 1jon 3:2) In 1Pet, we learn that we are a called out and peculiar people, separated unto God.

What does all of than mean? Brothers and sisters, rejoice, shout and dance a jig in Church... even if you are a Stiff Necked Baptist. If you love God more than you do you own life, your body might pass away but the Spirit that is you will never, it will just have the sinful nature removed and become a living monument to our God!
Amen to that.
We have a new poster here...@Sams mom, he's wondering how to please God.
We please God when we try to do our best, which will change from time to time.
Maybe at the beginning of our walk we don't even understand what that is but then it becomes more clear.

Maybe we have sins that need to be stopped. Maybe we need to change our attitude toward others and be more cheerful and positive, maybe we need to help others more, or even our own family.

Whatever it is, if we do our best and do it for God, there isn't much else we could do.

And we should be aware of the enemy, and not take him lightly for he is cunning beyond belief.

And all this we do looking forward to the day when we'll see Jesus face to face and death will have no sting for death comes but once.

God bless you.

Amen to that.
We have a new poster here...@Sams mom, he's wondering how to please God.
We please God when we try to do our best, which will change from time to time.
Maybe at the beginning of our walk we don't even understand what that is but then it becomes more clear.

Maybe we have sins that need to be stopped. Maybe we need to change our attitude toward others and be more cheerful and positive, maybe we need to help others more, or even our own family.

Whatever it is, if we do our best and do it for God, there isn't much else we could do.

And we should be aware of the enemy, and not take him lightly for he is cunning beyond belief.

And all this we do looking forward to the day when we'll see Jesus face to face and death will have no sting for death comes but once.

God bless you.
GLORY

What does that mean?
Does it matter how WE behave or not?
Yes it matters how we behave.

However before the Grace of God saves us no works that we did saved us. Why assume that they do afterwards?

God is Holy and expects the new creation bought in the Holy Blood of Christ to walk with Christ.

Your next question may be "what if we don't."

The answer is...don't.

Yes it matters how we behave.

However before the Grace of God saves us no works that we did saved us. Why assume that they do afterwards?

God is Holy and expects the new creation bought in the Holy Blood of Christ to walk with Christ.

Your next question may be "what if we don't."

The answer is...don't.
Works don't save us. Agreed.
But didn't Jesus say that if we love Him we'll obey His commandments?
John 14:15

What are His commandments?

Isaiah 35:8 And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness; it will be for those who walk on that Way. The unclean will not journey on it; wicked fools will not go about on it.

And Luke 1

The Holiness principle is one wherein we walk the talk, the teachings, of our Lord all our lives. It is a life long principle to embody the truth of his word.

Isaiah 35:8 And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness; it will be for those who walk on that Way. The unclean will not journey on it; wicked fools will not go about on it.

And Luke 1

The Holiness principle is one wherein we walk the talk, the teachings, of our Lord all our lives. It is a life long principle to embody the truth of his word.
Why did you post Luke 1?

1Genesis...excellent article.

my older, wiser, Pentecostal friend often tells me "we won't be made perfect until Heaven, but we strive for perfection here on earth." My own understanding is that we are made righteous through saving faith in Christ--His imputed righteousness wipes away our sins--but the pursuit of holiness is more a part of the sanctification process.

I like questions that are answered in stages.
For me the first question is, do I consider myself Holy?
When I read scripture it tells me a few things. We can enter the Holy of Holies.
We are the Holy temple of the Holy Spirit.
Our children are made Holy through the holiness in the believing parent.
Has Christ truly cleansed us and can we believe this? I think the answer is yes but it
is difficult to quantify.
I spent months pursuing this idea on one forum only to find many live in perpetual
self condemnation. Others claim the sin that seems to bind them, is too difficult to
overcome, and daily failures remind them it is impossible. Some sa ay it is a lie of
satan and taking away glory from Christ to say a believer can be holy. They often
only see Christs role in our failure and not the life of our walk.
So the first step takes faith, to believe the cross and Christs blood has redeemed us
and made us Holy. I think this is the first real step of our walk, when we see in us
what God has done. If we are part of the Kingdom of heaven on earth, we are Christs
body, His Holy precious witness, to the love that is eternal, here and now.
Many who have grown up in the church, know the language so well they live in the world
and of the world, but speak biblical verses. No wonder the word is so hard to make sense.

Holiness I think is firstly to be filled with the Holy Spirit and be purified through repentance
and faith, confessing our sins and knowing our love of God and His will.
Living a holy life is letting the love and word God has placed in our hearts work its way out
by contemplating and dwelling on it daily, hourly, in all that we do.
It is easy to let our emotions turn us around, but we can through Christ focus them again
on good things, heavenly things. This is often our dilemma, how to deal with daily distractions
and loss of focus. At least this is where I am at the moment.

Back