Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

(Hos. 1:3) Go marry a whore.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Quantrill

Did God really tell Hosea to do that? He certainly did. "And the LORD said to Hosea, Go,take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.

Many commentators disagree with this and believe that Hosea's wife would later become a whore after he married her. But that just doesn't fit to what is told us, in my opinion. How could Hosea chose a whore as a wife unless he knew she was a whore already? And, any children born to Hosea and Gomer, his wife, would not be children of whoredoms. Meaning Gomer may have already had children due to her whoredoms. And, she would have more, I believe.

The only child we know from Hosea and Gomer is Jezreel. (Hos. 1:3) "...and bare him a son." With the birth of Lo-ruhamah and Lo-ammi we are only told she bare a daughter and son. (1:6-8) I believe these last two were the product of Gomers whoredoms.

Hosea's family situation is fraught with troubles. But it is God who directed that situation, for a purpose. The entire prophetic pronouncements in this book are based upon understanding Hosea's situation. For God is using Hosea's situation to explain His situation with Israel, and with the Gentiles.

Quantrill

hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.

Yes, those who commit adultery with the whole have made themselves enemies of God.

Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. James 4:4

JLB

God calls Hosea to marry a woman named Gomer of whoredom who bears him three children appropriately named by God as signs to Israel. Jezreel, Loruhamah and Loammi means - God scatters, not pitied and not my people. Similarly God will judge and scatter Israel because of her sin. Gomer seeks other lovers and deserts Hosea. In spite of the depth to which her sin carriers her, Hosea redeems her from the slave market and restores her.

It's a story of one-sided love and faithfulness the represents the relationship between Israel and God. As Gomer is married to Hosea, so Israel is betrothed to God. Both relationships disintegrate. Like Gomer who is married to Hosea runs after other men, and Israel runs after other God's. Israel's spiritual adultery is illustrated to Gomer's physical adultery.

The development of the book of Hosea can be traced in two parts: the adulterous wife and faithful husband (1-3) and the adulterous Israel and faithful Lord (4-14).

God calls Hosea to marry a woman named Gomer of whoredom who bears him three children appropriately named by God as signs to Israel. Jezreel, Loruhamah and Loammi means - God scatters, not pitied and not my people. Similarly God will judge and scatter Israel because of her sin. Gomer seeks other lovers and deserts Hosea. In spite of the depth to which her sin carriers her, Hosea redeems her from the slave market and restores her.

It's a story of one-sided love and faithfulness the represents the relationship between Israel and God. As Gomer is married to Hosea, so Israel is betrothed to God. Both relationships disintegrate. Like Gomer who is married to Hosea runs after other men, and Israel runs after other God's. Israel's spiritual adultery is illustrated to Gomer's physical adultery.

The development of the book of Hosea can be traced in two parts: the adulterous wife and faithful husband (1-3) and the adulterous Israel and faithful Lord (4-14).

The only child born from Hosea and Gomer is Jezreel. The others are products of Gomer's whoredoms.

Gomer was a whore. Not just adulterous. And God told Hosea to go and marry a whore. If this is not understood at the beginning, then the interpretation, the prophetic utterances, which come later, will be misunderstood.

Quantrill

Last edited:
The only child born from Hosea and Gomer is Jezreel. The others are products of Gomer's whoredoms.

Gomer was a whore. Not just adulterous. And God told Hosea to go and marry a whore. If this is not understood at the beginning, then the interpretation, the prophetic utterances, which come later, will be misunderstood.

Quantrill
Whore and being adulterous sleeping with other men are the same thing.

Nowhere in these verses does it say these other two born after Jezreel were fathered by anyone else other than Hosea.

Hosea 1:6 And she conceived again, and bare a daughter. And God said unto him, Call her name Loruhamah: for I will no more have mercy upon the house of Israel; but I will utterly take them away.
Hosea 1:7 But I will have mercy upon the house of Judah, and will save them by the LORD their God, and will not save them by bow, nor by sword, nor by battle, by horses, nor by horsemen.
Hosea 1:8 Now when she had weaned Loruhamah, she conceived, and bare a son.
Hosea 1:9 Then said God, Call his name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.

Whore and being adulterous sleeping with other men are the same thing.

Nowhere in these verses does it say these other two born after Jezreel were fathered by anyone else other than Hosea.

Hosea 1:6 And she conceived again, and bare a daughter. And God said unto him, Call her name Loruhamah: for I will no more have mercy upon the house of Israel; but I will utterly take them away.
Hosea 1:7 But I will have mercy upon the house of Judah, and will save them by the LORD their God, and will not save them by bow, nor by sword, nor by battle, by horses, nor by horsemen.
Hosea 1:8 Now when she had weaned Loruhamah, she conceived, and bare a son.
Hosea 1:9 Then said God, Call his name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.

A woman selling on the street is a whore. A woman having an affair is an adulterous. Big difference.

It specifically says that Jezreel is the son of Hosea. The others it does not. That son was not a child of whoredoms as Hosea took Gomer as his wife.

So, who are the children of whoredoms?

Quantrill

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh please. You don't know the difference between being a whore and an adulterer? Of course you don't.

A woman selling on the street is a whore. A woman having an affair is an adulterous. Big difference.

It specifically says that Jezreel is the son of Hosea. The others it does not. That son was not a child of whoredoms as Hosea took Gomer as his wife.

So, who are the children of whoredoms?

Quantrill
So, the whore of Babylon being the great harlot that is taught of in Rev 17 was an actual woman selling herself on the street for money!!! You need to look up the various definitions for the word whore and adulatory found in scripture before you criticize others.

She conceived Jezreel and scripture says then she went on to conceive two more children as God named them. Nowhere does it say these other children were not of Hosea, but some teach that they are not, but have no proof. Where is your proof found in scripture that these two children were not Hosea's.

The children of whoredom are those who follow after the great harlot and have made their bed with her committing adultery's against God.

So, the whore of Babylon being the great harlot that is taught of in Rev 17 was an actual woman selling herself on the street for money!!! You need to look up the various definitions for the word whore and adulatory found in scripture before you criticize others.

She conceived Jezreel and scripture says then she went on to conceive two more children as God named them. Nowhere does it say these other children were not of Hosea, but some teach that they are not, but have no proof. Where is your proof found in scripture that these two children were not Hosea's.

The children of whoredom are those who follow after the great harlot and have made their bed with her committing adultery's against God.

The whore of Babylon is a whore. So?

Adultery is not the same as a whore. But, understand, there is a difference.

Quantrill

Last edited by a moderator:
The whore of Babylon is a whore. So?

Adultery is not the same as a whore. I understand you don't know the difference. But, understand, there is a difference.

Quantrill
You need to learn who the whore of Babylon is and her harlots that have made their bed with her. She is not standing on the street corner actually sleeping with others for money.

A whore is a prostitute as many commit adultery's with her as they show forth adulatory to her. Now go learn what that means in scripture.

I already gave my understanding of Hosea 1:3 in post #3 that came right out of my Bible.

A child born of Hosea and Gomer is not a child of whoredoms because Hosea took Gomer as his wife. (Hos. 1:2) Thus Jezreel is a legitimate child. Lo-ruhamah and Lo-ammi are the children of whoredoms as Gomer, who was a whore, continued her whoring ways.

Gomer represents Israel in her whoredoms. (Hos. 1:2) The children will help define Israel at this time. Jezreel, speaks to judgement and vengeance upon the northern kingdom of Israel. (1:4-5) Lo-ruhamah speaks to no mercy shown on that day. (1:6) Lo-ammi speaks to God rejecting Israel as His people. (1:8)

The name Jezreel means 'God sows'. It speaks, at this time, to judgement against Israel as that is what God is promising. It is what He is sowing. The valley of Jezreel is associated with the Valley of Esdraelon which has been the site of victories and defeats in Israel's history. And it would be that place where God destroyed the northern 10 tribes. (Hos. 1:5)

'Yet'....and with all God's dealings with Israel, there is always a 'yet'. For He never fully forsakes His people. (Hos. 1:10) "Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea...." Whenever God pronounces judgement upon His people, it is always accompanied with the promise of restoration.

And God promises that in the very place, Jezreel, where Israel was defeated and declared 'not His people', she shall be victorious and declared His people once again. (Hos. 1:10-11) And in that day, God is sowing victory for Israel in Jezreel. "...there it shall be said unto them. Ye are the sons of the living God....for great shall be the day of Jezreel."

But, that is future for Hosea. And still future at this time for Israel. Judgement must come first.

Quantrill

You need to learn who the whore of Babylon is and her harlots that have made their bed with her. She is not standing on the street corner actually sleeping with others for money.

A whore is a prostitute as many commit adultery's with her as they show forth adulatory to her. Now go learn what that means in scripture.

I already gave my understanding of Hosea 1:3 in post #3 that came right out of my Bible.

Adultery is not the same as whore or prostitution. Was Gomer adulterous, yes. But Gomer was more than that. She was a whore. Thus whore and adulterer are not the same thing.

Hosea was told the first time to take a whore to wife. (Hos. 1:2) After they were married and had children, Gomer left him to continue her whoring ways. She then became an adulteress. (Hos. 3:1) And God commanded Hosea the second time to go get her back, calling her an adulteress.

The whore of Babylon has nothing to do with this discussion. The whore of Babylon is the Mystery of Iniquity in a figure. She is a whore because she sells herself to political powers for her gain or satisfaction. That is what whores do.

Jezreel cannot be a child of whoredoms as Hosea took Gomer to wife.

Quantrill

There are several good, practical, and relevant truths to learn from the book of (Hosea). Prophets spoke of both a near and far fulfillment to their prophecy. When studying the prophets, it's important to identify which one is being addressed.

The immediate fulfillment of judgement in Hosea's prophecy will be the Assyrian invasion in 721 B.C. Judah was spared this judgement. (Hos. 1:7) Israel was scattered over the earth. She was sowed in the earth. Thus the name Jezreel for Hosea's son means God sows or God scatters. But, the restoration of Israel, spoken of first in (Hos. 1:10) is for the latter days.

However, (Hos. 1:10) says, "...in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God." Peter quotes this verse in (1 Peter 2:10) in reference to the Christian Jews of the dispersion. They are most certainly Christians, but they are the Jewish Remnant preserved in the Church. Where they were part of unfaithful Israel, and declared not His people, they are now His people once again. There you have Hosea's son Jezreel. True Israel.

Paul quotes (Hos. 1:10) also, only he applies it to the Gentile believers. (Rom. 9:24-26). The Gentiles were never the people of God as that was to Israel alone. But, in Christ, they now become the people of God also. There you have Lo-ruhamah and Lo-ammi.

But these truths concerning the blessings of salvation in the Church for the Jews and Gentiles, does not remove or fulfill the promise to the nation Israel as that will be a national restoration. (Hos. 1:11-2:1) "Then shall the children of Judah and the children of Israel be gathered together, and appoint themselves one head, and they shall come up out of the land; for great shall be the day of Jezreel. Say ye unto your brethren, Ammi; and to your sisters, Ruhamah." Which means 'my people having obtained'.

Quantrill

(Hos. 2:2-13) is God's description of the whore Israel as figured in Gomer. Then in (Hos. 2:14-23 you have God's promise of restoration to this same Israel.

Here are some verses of Israel the whore and adulterer.

(Hos. 2:1) "Plead with your mother, plead: for she is not my wife, neither am I her husband: let her therefore put away her whoredoms out of her sight, and her adulteries from between her breasts;" Isaiah had declared that Jehovah was the husband of Israel. (Is. 54:5) "For thy Maker is thy husband; the LORD of hosts is his name...." But Hosea now declares that God has divorced Israel.

(Hos. 2:4-5) "And I will not have mercy upon her children; for they be the children of whoredoms. For their mother hath played the harlot:...for she said, I will go after my lovers, that give me my bread and my water, my wool and my flax, min oil and my drink." Israel sold herself as a whore to her idols and believed it was they who provided for her. But it was God who had provided for her these things. And He will now take them away. (Hos. 2:8-9)

(Hos. 2:12) "And I will destroy her vines and her fig trees, whereof she hath said, These are my rewards that my lovers have given me...."

(Hos. 2:13) "And I will visit upon her the days of Baalim, wherein she burned incense to them, and she decked herself with her earrings and her jewels, and she went after her lovers, and forgat me, saith the LORD."

This is the nation Israel, the people of God. They turn away from God. But, don't be too judgmental against her as one who cannot find themselves as a Christian in this same place. You most certainly can as a child of God.

When I was a new believer and reading and studying the Bible, I used to get frustrated with Israel always rebelling against God. God did all that for them and they constantly rebelled against God. How can that be, I would say. But now as an older believer, I look back and say, we, the Christians, are just like them. The Church as a whole is going down that same road. And, many believers go with her.

I praise God for this book of (Hosea).

Quantrill

(Hos. 2:2-13) speak to the days of the Judgement of God upon whoring Israel, who has left God and gone to other lovers for her gain and satisfaction.

In post #(13), I left out verses (6-7) of chapter 2 so as to make this point. Israel has left God, and God is bringing her to judgement. But even in this judgement, there is a sense of God protecting her.

(Hos. 2:6) "Therefore, behold, I will hedge up thy way with thorns, and make a wall, that she shall not find her paths."

It is God protecting Israel in a judgmental way. He doesn't allow her to obtain her desired lusts. God surrounds her with a wall of thorns to insure this. What does this do? Any who seek to have relations with Israel, for any reason, while she is in this condition, will get hurt, stuck with the thorns. It is not that Israel is repentant at this time. It is that her lovers find it is dangerous to have dealings with Israel.

The eventual result: (Hos. 2:7) "And she shall follow after her lovers, but she shall not overtake them; and she shall seek them, but shall not find them: then shall she say, I will go and return to my first husband; for then was it better with me than now."

Do you see the miserable condition Israel is in? She turns away from God, thus she is out of fellowship, void of a relationship with God. But, God will not let her have a relationship with her lovers either. And those who do get into a relationship with her, for good or bad, get hurt and learn to stay away.

Because Israel is a 'redeemed nation' I believe application to the 'redeemed Christian' can be made here. When a Christian turns away from God, for whatever reason, he will certainly come under the chastising hand of God. But, he will also find that the world wants nothing to do with him either. God will see to that. He still belongs to God, but has no relationship with God and cannot satisfy his desires in the world. A most miserable condition.

The cure: Just as (Hos. 2:7) says, "return to my first husband". But for Israel, some things will go before that.

Quantrill

It's important to see that at sometime between chapter 1 and 3 of (Hosea), Gomer left Hosea to carry on her whoring ways. In chapter 1 God says to Hosea to take a wife of whoredoms, which he did. In chapter 3 God tells Hosea again to go love a woman, an adultress, just as the Lord loves Israel. (3:1) To 'Go yet' as (3:1) says, is for Hosea to go and have to buy Gomer back as she has sold herself into slavery. (Hos. 3:2) Whether she is being auctioned or Hosea is purchasing her from her owner is unknown. But it remains that he must buy his own wife back.

And Hosea did just that. Just as the Lord loved Israel and would provide the purchase price for redemption, so did Hosea provide the price for Gomer.

But, though Hosea bought her back, causing her to have to cease from her whoredoms, I believe he also said neither would he be for her either. If you read (Hos. 3:3) without the italicized words, which are there only as helps, it reads, "And I said unto her, Thou shalt abide for me many days; thou shalt not play the harlot, and thou shalt not be for man: so I also for thee." In other words, Gomer is in that place where she can't play the whore, and neither does she have relations with Hosea.

This is exactly what God has done with Israel. (Hos. 3:4) "For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without and image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim:" And this is where Israel is today. She is no longer an idolator. The Babylonian captivity cured her of that. But neither is she in relations with her God.

Unerstand we are talking about the whole house of Israel, both Judah and Israel. (Hos. 1:11) And they shall appoint one head over her, David. But this all comes later, after the many days. After the Tribulation. After the Second Coming. After the Times of the Gentiles. (Hos. 3:5) "Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days.

It is this that I believe James was addressing in his statements in (Acts 1:15-16) "And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written, After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up."

Israel today has returned nationally to the land. But they have not returned nationally to God. Just like in the days of the post exile prophets, many had returned to Israel. But yet Malachi says, (Malachi 3:7) "...Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts...."

Quantrill

In reading through the book of Hosea, which every one should do at one sitting, God is not coming across as a cold theological Being establishing His argument and proving how right He is. God feels. And Israel was His wife that left Him for others. His heart is broken. (Hos. 11:8) "How shall I give thee up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver thee, Israel?...mine heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together." (Hos. 6:4) "O Ephraim, what shall I do unto thee? O Judah, what shall I do unto thee?...."

Can you not hear the same grief in Jesus Christ's lament over Jerusalem. "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not."

So, God, with a heavy heart, brings judgement upon Israel, and scatters her throughout the earth. Jezreel, (Hos. 1:3-4) But He also pays the price to buy her back just as Hosea did with Gomer. (Hos. 3:1-2) But Israel is set in a sort of limbo. She can't have her lovers, but neither can she have relations with God. (Hos. 3:3) Until the time appointed by God in the latter days. (Hos. 3:5)

And 'that day' is described in (Hos. 2:14-23). And God does this as one who is courting romantically one He loves. (Hos. 2:14) "Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her." This word 'allure' is the same word 'entice' in (Ex. 22:16) "And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed....." God will allure Israel back into the wilderness where before Israel only answered to God.

And there in that wilderness, (Rev. 12:6), He will restore the marriage relationship with His wife Israel. (Hos.2:19-20) "And I will betroth thee unto me for ever....I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness...I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness..."

Israel restored.

Quantrill

Back