Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How do you explqin the diference between the way God is in OT and New Testament?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Ervin

This is probably one of the most important questions about Christianity. In the Old Testament God allegedly tels you to kill your son for instance just for secretly enticing you to go and worship other Gods and the New Testament says to love your enemies.

I think this is one of the things that turns people away from Christianity . How do you explain it?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
simple. isreal then in the days of the torah is a theocracy. we arent in those days and one has to consider the idea that isreal was holy and called out to god and he their HUSBAND! if my wife or the reverse happend and adultery is commited what is the instinct? to kill the man and women that did that deed. this emotion of jealousy comes from God. he calls adultery in the tanach worshipping and a whoring after false gods. that is why he commands them to put those that do those things to death for if they dont others will die from gods wrath!

uh, and that love thine enemy thing comes from moses first not jesus.jesus merely being the God that told moses that restates it to the jews that he came to save.

This is probably one of the most important questions about Christianity. In the Old Testament God allegedly tels you to kill your son for instance just for secretly enticing you to go and worship other Gods and the New Testament says to love your enemies.

I think this is one of the things that turns people away from Christianity . How do you explain it?

Thanks

Christ/God was there in person (O.T.) and was His own GODHEAD THEOCRACY. (meaning that they read all hearts + minds, and what their fate would be well before it took place)

His church government's on earth when He left in the N.T. were to be His Theocracy. Also we see the Ceasar government of Rom. 13 with the duty to man's second table of God's law only.

See Matt. 18:14-18. And this is only for a OBEDIENT church or it would be cut off as well! Rev. 2:5
Matt. 18
[15] Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
[16] But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
[17] And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto [[the church:]] but if he neglect to hear [[the church]], let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
[18] Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

And Rev. 2
[5] Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

And NO, the Lord does play games using rubber bullets so to speak! For we find today that He has REJECTED the Whole garbage can of the Rev. 17:1-5 Great Whore mother along with her daughters who are all coming back to satan's roost.

--Elijah

Thanks

The Old Testament covers a large time period. Here we see God in action as he tries to lead his people to a spiritual paradise. The New Testament covers only a short period of time as Jesus goes about the countryside preaching the Word. It is the same loving God. One of God's tasks is to discipline us when we sin. That has always been true. God only disciplines us because he loves us.

You can't know and appreciate the goodness and mercy of God until you first know the justice of God that condemns sin in mankind. That justice was revealed in the law. His mercy was revealed in Jesus Christ.

Thanks
Ervin the people in the old testament were wicked people....just like the people after them and just like we are today. The heart of man is deceitful and wicked. God used their wickedness to convey his message about Jesus through their actions.

God is the same yesterday today and tomorrow. The perceived differences are due to the medium used to convey his message.

Also a lot of the violence found in the old testament is not committed against humans. All of the stories where God told various people to go in and kill all the men, women, children and beasts is a good example. The Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims and many others are not humans, they are hybrid beings a cross between fallen angels and human women.

Gen_6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
Gen_6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

These are the people of the ancient myths.

The message of the old testament is exactly the same as the new testament, the only difference is the medium the message is conveyed in. I hope this helps.

Thanks

You raise a significant issue - one which is not readily answered in a world that demands instant answers. The place the OT has within Christianity is one that was worked out over a long period of time and is a study in itself.

But I will try to be a brief as possible.

The issue of the place that the OT holds in Christianity as compared to Judaism are two completely different things.

For Jews, the OT, the Tanakh, is both history and a legal document - it forms the basis of their faith and organizes their lives.

For Christianity, the OT points towards the coming of Jesus - it foretells his coming.

In this respect Jesus confirmed the OT but also went further - his 'but I say to you' statements in Matthew indicates that he raised the bar somewhat higher with respect to Christianity.

All of which raises a problem - if you insist, as a Christian, in invoking the legalist nature of the OT - it just won't work.

This is one reason why Marcion completely rejected the OT which in turn is the reason why Marcion was rejected by the patristic fathers - because in rejecting the OT he also rejected the prophecies concerning Christ therein contained.

Back