Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How important is the Book of Romans to you?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

humble soul

On Sabbatical from Rome
I suspect many will say it is their favorite book.
I have scant knowledge of its contents but I am drawn recently to its importance.
Without it, the Bible may be much less?
But it is perhaps the most challenging book to fully understand.
Oversimplifying, we need faith not works to be saved?
God's righteousness.
Do you like NT Wright as a Bible commentator?
I'm drawn to his explanations.

I have scant knowledge of its contents but I am drawn recently to its importance.
God's righteousness.
It is very important to me.
I especially love chapter 6, as it explains what happens at water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, besides remission of sins.
The death of the flesh, old man...and our rebirth with Christ ...to walk in newness of life.

The book of Romans is broke down into three different parts
1. The revelation of the righteousness of God - Chapters 1:1-8:39
2. The vindication of the righteousness of God - Chapters 9:1-11:36
3. The application of the righteousness of God - 12:1-16:27

The book of Romans delves more into the death and resurrection and the need for God's righteousness, Christian duties and Christian liberties. God offers His righteousness to everyone who comes to Him by faith. Paul writes Romans to reveal God's sovereign plan of salvation to show how Jews and Gentiles fit into that plan and exhort them to live righteous and harmonious lives.

2 Timothy 3:16 King James Version

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The book of Romans is very important, as is every book in the Bible from Genesis to Revelation.

God's righteousness.

Romans is extremely important. This is why it is usually ignored by the visible church today. Today, the church goes to the Sermon on the Mount and the teachings of Jesus to Israel under the Law as the basis for how the Church should function.

Romans is Paul's gospel. It is that which was revealed to him by the Resurrected Christ for the establishment of the Church.

I am not familiar with NT Wright. You have different types of commentaries to chose from. Devotional and Critical. The Critical are not usually suited for reading pleasure. They are more for study and, as the name implies, critical examination. Both types are important.

I have several commentaries on Romans. One I especially like is by Donald Grey Barnhouse. I wouldn't call it 'critical' but he does not ignore critical areas. I like his style of writing. Very readable. Being an older minister, he had many life experiences to use as examples of some truth Romans addresses. He seems to merge both critical and devotional in his commentary. In my opinion.

Quantrill

Back