Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How old when ears were (first) pierced?

How old, when your ears were (first) pierced?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

farouk

Okay so about a very widespread practice among women and, yes, men, too.

How old were were when (if) we first had our ears pierced?

(In the poll, just going to have one under-18 category, plus some others for older ages.)

(I guess this would be described as a more lighthearted thread... :) )

I was about mid 30s .... I dont wear earrings very often.... Not a jewelery kinda person...

reba:

Ty; I guess that particularly if for some people it wasn't a family custom, it would be a while before a person 'discovered' the idea of having it done, right?

Blessings.

Folks: Ty for the votes which are coming in now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so about a very widespread practice among women and, yes, men, too.

How old were were when (if) we first had our ears pierced?

(In the poll, just going to have one under-18 category, plus some others for older ages.)

(I guess this would be described as a more lighthearted thread... :) )

I remember I was 8 years old and was shopping with my mom and dad at Montgomery Wards (goes to show you how old I am) and my dad walked me over to a lady in the aisle. Then in high school I had a bunch of girlfriends over and got a second hole in each ear with the original earrings I had when I was 8. We put a potato behind my ear and did it the old fashioned way. I never wear earrings in the 2nd hole though and rarely wear earrings....

I remember I was 8 years old and was shopping with my mom and dad at Montgomery Wards (goes to show you how old I am) and my dad walked me over to a lady in the aisle. Then in high school I had a bunch of girlfriends over and got a second hole in each ear with the original earrings I had when I was 8. We put a potato behind my ear and did it the old fashioned way. I never wear earrings in the 2nd hole though and rarely wear earrings....

Christine:

Thanks; you can see that in the poll I didn't get into the second (or more) holes though maybe I could have, I suppose. I think that second holes started to become a feature gradually from the late 70s onwards and like you more or less hinted it became almost a necessity among teen girls, though very soon moms were doing it, too.

In those days??? Sounds like the days of Noah! You gonna put up with that Miss Reba?? I think he's calling you old. :lol

Oops, westtexas: I have duly amended my post. (Reba is actually among the most young at heart folk on these forums.)

Ty; I guess that particularly if for some people it wasn't a family custom in those days, it would be a while before a person 'discovered' the idea of having it done, right?
.... behold, ye have sinned against the MOD and be sure your sin will find you out. :chair

:toofunny I told ya Brother! Miss Reba knocked the ears off your smiley with that chair and now you ain't got NO ears to pierce! How's that fit into the poll? :toofunny

.... behold, ye have sinned against the MOD and be sure your sin will find you out. :chair

reba:

Umm...far be it for a non-mod to bring a thread back to topic ... :)

but what I meant was, Maybe it hadn't been a family custom?

Blessings.

No Farouk it was sin! Just as almost as much a sin as shhhhh lipstick

reba:

Well, what hang-ups some people must have had then! :)

These days Christian women (and sometimes men) click in their earrings as naturally as ducks take to water, to use a well known expression, sometimes more than one set.

(The same can be said for lipstick, but I won't get into that. And these days nice ladies can get a tattoo and a tasteful little one can be regarded as being pretty benign, too.)

Anyway, I thought this poll and thread would be of some sort of cultural interest, if in a lighthearted vein, anyway.

Blessings.

Ummm never had my ears pierced, but I did pierce my lower lip some time ago. since removed and the hole has grown back over.

I saw some pawprint earrings and considered buying them to use if I ever do get my ears pierced. (Me being a dog person and all.) I didn't, though.

I saw some pawprint earrings and considered buying them to use if I ever do get my ears pierced. (Me being a dog person and all.) I didn't, though.

questdriven:

Sounds like you wish to pierce your ears. It doesn't cost very much, if you do it at the mall. You must know what you wish to do, and why you haven't wanted to up to now.

Blessings.

I have no piercings or tats. I'm just not into them. I don't understand why men do such things, but I do women. I certainly do not hold it against anyone for what they choose to do. I see more and more women with piercings and tats, and even colored hair nowadays. I suspect it is additional adornment designed to attract men. Not unlike a fishing lure! There are more women than men and more competition, so some do these things to stand out a little more than the others and get noticed. It may or may not be sinful, that depends on what is in the heart of the individual.

Edward:

Ty. Yes, well in North America ear piercing for women used to be kind of an optional extra, whereas now it's almost universally desired by women. You mentioned tatts also; they used to be a male thing (especially sailors and bikers) but now it's changed very drastically: not only has what amounts to a universal tattoo equality among men and women been established in North America, but also 60% of parlor clients receiving tattoos are women (some parlors report significantly more than 60%). Many men also pierce their ears, of course, but whereas for women ear piercing used to be an optional extra, now it's the tattoo that is, for women, the kind of recognized, optional extra, like ear piercing used to be, a few decades ago.

(I'm not sure I wholly agree that ear piercing and tattoos among women are all about chasing men, though. It might be so in some cases, but I think it's rather a generalization that can't be wholly warranted.)

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Back