Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Husband calls me and our daughters B's

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

TX Mama

As a backstory, I met my husband in 2008. We dated for 7 years before getting married. When I met him, I was backslidden and had just left a fundamental Baptist church I had grown up in since birth. I was very sheltered and also angry when I left the church. There were so many red flags with my then-boyfriend/now husband. The biggest was how he spoke of and treated women (verbally). I felt special when people who had known him for a while before me said that I had "changed him". They saw that he was committed to me and that made me feel good. The red flags came when he was upset/drinking. He used derogatory names for women towards me when he would fight. He had no control over his words. He never apologized, always justified it. I also lied to myself that he was a Christian. I knew he believed in God and Him dying for us, but refused to ever say that he had been born again. That's the backstory mostly.

I shoved those red flags to the side because I always told myself I could handle it. I never even considered what bringing kids into the world would look like with those red flags. We now have two little girls together (ages 4 & 2). There have been several instances that have almost pushed me to the edge, but yesterday did it for me. Our 2 year old fell off the kitchen chair and after several minutes of him trying to comfort her, but she wouldn't stop crying, he called her a *B. He was sitting at the table with her and I immediately told him to leave. He wouldn't and I said he was hungover (he drinks every night) and had no patience to deal with her and again told him to leave. He then turned around and called me a fat B. This was right in front of our 4 year old. I'm at an impasse here with him. I want and long so much for a godly marriage and family. I want to see a miracle of God working to bring him to Christ and for this mess to be restored, but I'm afraid of the cost. I don't want my daughters hearing their father call them those derogatory names or think that its ok for him to call me that. I honestly don't know which was is right by my daughters. Am I teaching them to love their husbands and trust God by staying or am I teaching them that I'm a doormat and that being called a B by any man is ok? I'm so broken over the fact that I married him. I was living life for myself and once I had kids, realized I didnt want to raise my kids without God....and here we are.

As a backstory, I met my husband in 2008. We dated for 7 years before getting married. When I met him, I was backslidden and had just left a fundamental Baptist church I had grown up in since birth. I was very sheltered and also angry when I left the church. There were so many red flags with my then-boyfriend/now husband. The biggest was how he spoke of and treated women (verbally). I felt special when people who had known him for a while before me said that I had "changed him". They saw that he was committed to me and that made me feel good. The red flags came when he was upset/drinking. He used derogatory names for women towards me when he would fight. He had no control over his words. He never apologized, always justified it. I also lied to myself that he was a Christian. I knew he believed in God and Him dying for us, but refused to ever say that he had been born again. That's the backstory mostly.

I shoved those red flags to the side because I always told myself I could handle it. I never even considered what bringing kids into the world would look like with those red flags. We now have two little girls together (ages 4 & 2). There have been several instances that have almost pushed me to the edge, but yesterday did it for me. Our 2 year old fell off the kitchen chair and after several minutes of him trying to comfort her, but she wouldn't stop crying, he called her a *B. He was sitting at the table with her and I immediately told him to leave. He wouldn't and I said he was hungover (he drinks every night) and had no patience to deal with her and again told him to leave. He then turned around and called me a fat B. This was right in front of our 4 year old. I'm at an impasse here with him. I want and long so much for a godly marriage and family. I want to see a miracle of God working to bring him to Christ and for this mess to be restored, but I'm afraid of the cost. I don't want my daughters hearing their father call them those derogatory names or think that its ok for him to call me that. I honestly don't know which was is right by my daughters. Am I teaching them to love their husbands and trust God by staying or am I teaching them that I'm a doormat and that being called a B by any man is ok? I'm so broken over the fact that I married him. I was living life for myself and once I had kids, realized I didnt want to raise my kids without God....and here we are.
Even if it's "just" verbal, what he's saying to your daughter is child abuse. Verbal assault is illegal and he is headed down the slippery slope of evolving into verbal abuse of a child. This could get real sticky real fast. You need to talk to a qualified counselor and you both need Christian marriage counseling. Prayers for you and yours.

Even if it's "just" verbal, what he's saying to your daughter is child abuse. Verbal assault is illegal and he is headed down the slippery slope of evolving into verbal abuse of a child. This could get real sticky real fast. You need to talk to a qualified counselor and you both need Christian marriage counseling. Prayers for you and yours.
I totally agree with Dan.

1 Peter 3:4 kjv
4. But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

The hidden man of our heart is Jesus.

His quickening spirit is where we need to derive our power.

During the storm the quiet place is our refuge.

Mark 6:31 kjv
31. And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.

I seem to not use this enough myself, but I am aware of the concept.

In Christ there is neither male or female.

2 Timothy 1:7 kjv
7. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

eddif

Praying for you and your family.

What part of Texas do you live in?

Im in Spring.

Blessings and peace to you.

JLB

Praying for you and your family.

What part of Texas do you live in?

Im in Spring.

Blessings and peace to you.

JLB
Leander and thank you. Prayers appreciated. We haven't spoken a word to each other since that morning he said those things 2 days ago. I'm still just praying and asking God to show me the next right step to take. I don't feel angry really. I know who I am in Christ, so his words towards me dont affect me much. My daughters are young and impressionable, so how to proceed on their behalf is what I'm struggling with. I feel my marriage has been nonexistent for a while as it is. He is married to beer. Spends more money and time on/with it. It comes first. I feel like nothing more than a paycheck to him right now. Its all about how much money I can bring home. I'm in the middle of getting a promotion and all he can ask is when its happening and how much of a raise I'm getting. He's never been someone I can lean on when I need advice or comfort. I don't say these things angrily. He is not a Christian and therefore lives life for himself.

I agree. Our girls are so young and impressionable right now. They don't know how to lean on God or into the fact that what God thinks of us is the only thing that matters. I'm trying to figure out how to do right by them. My husband will not see any type of counsellor. I've asked to do this many times in the past. It has resulted in me going by myself and as much as I work on my side of things, it takes two in a marriage and counselling alone is just going to make me resentful that I'm doing everything I can and he won't. I appreciate and covet your prayers.

Leander and thank you. Prayers appreciated. We haven't spoken a word to each other since that morning he said those things 2 days ago. I'm still just praying and asking God to show me the next right step to take. I don't feel angry really. I know who I am in Christ, so his words towards me dont affect me much. My daughters are young and impressionable, so how to proceed on their behalf is what I'm struggling with. I feel my marriage has been nonexistent for a while as it is. He is married to beer. Spends more money and time on/with it. It comes first. I feel like nothing more than a paycheck to him right now. Its all about how much money I can bring home. I'm in the middle of getting a promotion and all he can ask is when its happening and how much of a raise I'm getting. He's never been someone I can lean on when I need advice or comfort. I don't say these things angrily. He is not a Christian and therefore lives life for himself.

Does he work?

Does he work?
He does, but $$$ is everything to him. He doesn't overwork. It doesnt interfere with our lives as far as time goes, but he's all about getting raises, bonuses...etc. I said I'm nothing more than a paycheck to him because it seems its all he's interested in from me. I'm in the middle of a promotion and he is getting frustrated that its taking so long.

He does, but $$$ is everything to him. He doesn't overwork. It doesnt interfere with our lives as far as time goes, but he's all about getting raises, bonuses...etc. I said I'm nothing more than a paycheck to him because it seems its all he's interested in from me. I'm in the middle of a promotion and he is getting frustrated that its taking so long.

Ok

As an aside I’d reject the idea of God dying for us and being born again. God the son as a human being died for us, and I reject [born again] as poor translation: William Tyndale was not born again. That aside aside, a Christian counsellor is a possible route, if he is prepared to tango. Another biblical route is, I believe, separation, but not divorce, unless your covenant is breached/adulterated by fornication (Matthean Exception), or if indeed he is not a Christian, and he rejects both Christ and his marriage (Pauline Exception). Sadly no option—even inaction—is likely to be a smooth road for you and your children. I gather that at least there is no physical abuse, but that type of man is not good news.

Last edited:
Back