Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

I want one of these

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Thanks for pointing that out, and I'm going to ask my older son about this. He's a mechanical engineer who is working on his masters in computer science, and presently works getting PLC's going at various companies (i.e. utilities). I often said to him I'm waiting for the day that a desktop is all solid state, no moving clunky parts or drives, and indeed it is already in the device forms like i-anything, personal pads, and other scaled down items like these. Typically they have 16GB of RAM. On this old laptop of his (that used to run Vista) I and running Linux Ubuntu 12.04. However, I feared the days that the newer hardware would come out -- seems to be designed to the software firms specs (so that you effectively cannot load your own OS like the olden days). A good example is a Microsoft computer with the new UEFI instead of BIOS. It's hard to buy a cheap desktop or laptop any longer and just destroy the OS off of it with Linux. They claim it's for "security", but I can't help to think that Microsoft just wanted one-up-man-ship on an otherwise loser operating system and that was their way of making one a captive audience to their operating system. They did not want Linux to take over since MS and Linux are polar opposites.

But lately I learned my fears are unfounded, because while Linux never dominated the desktop and Laptop, they were actually two steps ahead of everyone else, because the traditional desktop and laptop are going by the wayside anyway. Like I said earlier, the computing business is now in these self-contained devices. And Linux (kernal) dominates all of them. That Android phone or my B&N Nook --- Linux. My Goolge Nexus -- Linux. The Google Chromebook -- Linux etc etc. And I see according to the Internet here that this cube thing is capable of putting any open source OS on it you want.

I see what's happening. You know why the cube? It's no different than a small flat screen device. The difference is, they put the same chipsets in there, but the cube is to hold the physical connection ports. Same as a tower computer except tiny. Then... you can hook up peripharals such as monitor and sound instead of a little screen like a device has. Neat!

If you do an amazon search for "cubox", you'll come up with a lot of similar small scale desktops for under $200 that you can hook up a monitor and keyboard. The latter is for human comfort since we want a big screen to see and a keyboard to type on, and to heck with the size of the tower, as long as it works!

It won't be long, if not already, that these will be in stores that sell electronics. Google has their version out, too, although I think I rather have Linux. Google has too many privacy accusations against them, although in reality, I think anything you put out on the network is subject to someone listening in despite the operating system. You only have control of your own computer, not theirs out there, and Linux gives the most to the user.

Toys? Powerful computers!
Hey Tim! My last build fried two weeks ago and with my hands twitching and trembling the way way they do, I relented and allowed my wife and daughter to shop Best Buy and they came home with an HP Pavilion 400-224 Slim Line, a, I believe it is a 24" LED Monitor with a Swing Arm Wall Mount. It came with Stupid on it (windoze 8.1) but runs fine on Ubuntu 14.04.

I would jump on the cube... nice.

My new machine is also light on the fan end and cane with an AMD Athlon Quad at 1.5 gig and 6 gigs of RAM. My daughter did not notice the vertical running CD Drive and I'm happy she didn't because they would not have purchased it. My only issue was th OS. I did back the system up on DVD but with it being registered to the processor and MB, it has become useless. But the smaller, quieter unit operates smoothly on Trusty.

Powerful toys....
Hi Kathi,
Folks like Tim and I use some powerful 'puters to work and when I an working a new graphic, photo or restoring a decaying document, I play Zuma for four or five to relx and unwind so I can continue working. I, I suspect that, like you, have never heard my tools called a toy. But we are all different, arn't we now.

Hi Kathi,
Folks like Tim and I use some powerful 'puters to work and when I an working a new graphic, photo or restoring a decaying document, I play Zuma for four or five to relx and unwind so I can continue working. I, I suspect that, like you, have never heard my tools called a toy. But we are all different, arn't we now.
What is Zuma?

What is Zuma?
There is an updated version on FaceBook But I received my copy of Zuma Deluxe as a gift in the mid nighties for a custom computer build. The one on facebook is not as much fun as the ones Pop Cap Games sells. This game is exclusively responsible for me running Wine in my Ubuntu Operating System. Zuma is a windoze game but under wine it runs natively in Ubunutu and Linux Mint.

There is an updated version on FaceBook But I received my copy of Zuma Deluxe as a gift in the mid nighties for a custom computer build. The one on facebook is not as much fun as the ones Pop Cap Games sells. This game is exclusively responsible for me running Wine in my Ubuntu Operating System. Zuma is a windoze game but under wine it runs natively in Ubunutu and Linux Mint.
Ok....that is as clear as mud.Is it a video game?

:woot2 NAHHH! It's a computer, moving marble puzzle. I don't own no video game system since the Commodore 64. Now, I'm over here laughing stupid an if you have put up with thay 14 year old mouth on a dying 69 year old punk, here's the truth. It is a game, firsy written in the '90s for windoze but on Linux it runs under Wine as a native program. It's a video game that is a moving Marble Puzzle that will harm you mind and strain both of your arms is you use a $125 profession Marble Mouse. ;-)

Exo_20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's toys , thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wifi, nor his TV, nor his ride, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's. :tongue

Reactions: TOG
Exo_20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's toys , thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wifi, nor his TV, nor his ride, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's. :tongue
LOL! Such a sermon and with perfect application. The only thing I hate about this disease is my shaky and dropsy hands no longer allow me to build new super computer on the cheap for my friends. I kept one small business running the latest, greatest for over ten years for cost plus what-ever the owner, my friend gave me. And from the first year of my salvation I've been a giver.

Back