Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

I was denied the eucharist...and it hurt

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to attend the Catholic Liturgy of the Passion, as opposed to attending the CofE service (I'm in the UK). I stood in line for communion, but was denied it. At first I was confused. Then embarassed. Then angry. And now I am upset. Are we not ALL children of God? So can we not ALL enjoy his flesh?

I decided to attend the Catholic Liturgy of the Passion, as opposed to attending the CofE service (I'm in the UK). I stood in line for communion, but was denied it. At first I was confused. Then embarassed. Then angry. And now I am upset. Are we not ALL children of God? So can we not ALL enjoy his flesh?
Does the C of E believe the host is the Body and Blood of Christ?

How could the priest have known that you are not a Catholic? Assuming you revealed this to the celebrant beforehand, then this:

From 'Catholic Answers':

'Why is it that Anglo-Catholics (or Anglicans and others who are considered Catholic) who observe the Eucharist cannot receive Communion at a Roman Catholic Mass? What is required in order to do so?

'Anglo-Catholics may consider themselves Catholics, but the Catholic Church does not. This isn’t a matter of snobbery; it is simply a matter of the Catholic Church remaining consistent with what it has taught and believed for over 2,000 years.

'In the Anglican communion, it remains legitimate to believe that the sacrament is merely a symbol of Christ’s body and blood. Further, if one has not received valid orders, he cannot confect a valid consecration, and thus there is no Eucharist. Because of this and other theological differences in the way we understand the Eucharist, the Catholic Church has not normally allowed intercommunion with Anglicans. The Eucharist cannot honestly signify unity until that unity exists.'

I wonder why you elected not to attend an Anglican service?

Last edited:
In our church, before communion, the priest invites those that are not eligible to receive communion - a child or
because they are not a Catholic, or Catholics who for some personal reason do not wish to receive communion - to come forward for a blessing. They indicate this by crossing their arms over their chests.

In our church, before communion, the priest invites those that are not eligible to receive communion - a child or
because they are not a Catholic, or Catholics who for some personal reason do not wish to receive communion - to come forward for a blessing. They indicate this by crossing their arms over their chests.
That would have been better. I felt very singled out. At no point during service did I feel welcome.

How could the priest have known that you are not a Catholic? Assuming you revealed this to the celebrant beforehand, then this:

From 'Catholic Answers':

'Why is it that Anglo-Catholics (or Anglicans and others who are considered Catholic) who observe the Eucharist cannot receive Communion at a Roman Catholic Mass? What is required in order to do so?

'Anglo-Catholics may consider themselves Catholics, but the Catholic Church does not. This isn’t a matter of snobbery; it is simply a matter of the Catholic Church remaining consistent with what it has taught and believed for over 2,000 years.

'In the Anglican communion, it remains legitimate to believe that the sacrament is merely a symbol of Christ’s body and blood. Further, if one has not received valid orders, he cannot confect a valid consecration, and thus there is no Eucharist. Because of this and other theological differences in the way we understand the Eucharist, the Catholic Church has not normally allowed intercommunion with Anglicans. The Eucharist cannot honestly signify unity until that unity exists.'

I wonder why you elected not to attend an Anglican service?
Because I likely didn't follow the proper ritual. He asked me if I'd taken it before. I said no. He blessed me.

No, Catholics believe only Catholics are children of God.

Yes. It was very hurtful. It has really soured Catholicism for me.
It should.
Catholics do not believe that faith all by itself makes you a child of God.

Not to be confused with the fact that genuine faith will indeed not be by itself. The point is, they do not believe that a person is justified and made a child of God in the very moment of believing, as it was for Abraham our example of justification by faith apart from works.

They will argue that one must have works (particularly Catholic works in their case) in order to be saved, and that is true for what that actually means. But in no way do those works - the inevitable outcome and evidence of genuine faith - make you a child of God. Faith does that all by itself. Any person who has that faith and is not living in sin, thus denying the faith, can participate in Communion, the Passover celebration of Christ our Passover Lamb.

Last edited:
It should.
Catholics do not believe that faith all by itself makes you a child of God.

Not to be confused with the fact that genuine faith will indeed not be by itself. The point is, they do not believe that a person is justified and made a child of God in the very moment of believing, as it was for Abraham our example of justification by faith apart from works. They will argue that one must have works in order to be saved, and that is true for what that actually means. But in no way do those works - the inevitable outcome and evidence of genuine faith - make you a child of God. Faith does that all by itself. Any person who has that faith and is not living in sin, thus denying the faith, can participate in Communion.

We don't believe we are saved by faith alone because it is not Biblical.
But let's not divert this topic into another faith alone thread.

That would have been better. I felt very singled out. At no point during service did I feel welcome.
This is what cold dead religion and it's ritualistic procedures and ceremonies is all about. I will never go back to cold dead 'religious' services again. One of my life verses...

17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18For whoever serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.
Romans 14:17

Righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit is what pleases God and which men see and approve of, not cold dead rituals concerning food and drink.

We don't believe we are saved by faith alone because it is not Biblical.
But let's not divert this topic into another faith alone thread.
It's important to this topic because the OP was rejected because the Catholic church thinks she's not a child of God. Their doctrine about what makes a person a child of God is wrong. She needs to know this. If she believes that she is forgiven by having faith in God's forgiveness she is a child of God and NO ONE can deny her participation in a Passover observance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back