Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

In All Probability, Permanent Vegan

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

smaller

Never thought I'd say this but I think I'm officially now a vegan.

What brought me to this? Trying to keep weight off. I'm 6'3". At my peak I weighed 260 lbs. My paternal grandfather was my height, weighed 300 lbs and died of a heart attack at age 60, his second one after having one at 50 years old.

Prior to turning 50 and seeing this could be a potential problem for me at 260 lbs, a short hop to 300 lbs, I investigated many alternative diets to try to lose weight. Starving (caloric restriction to 1200-1500 calories) wasn't on the short list. So eventually I wound up on the Atkins diet, a high protein low carb routine where I could eat all the meat, fat and dairy that I wanted. Just had to restrict the carbs to a very low # to stay in a perpetual state of "ketosis." And this worked for me for a number of years. As my weight crept up I'd hit the routine, drop 10-15-20 lbs, then modify out of it in yo-yo fashions. Was able to keep my weight in the 230-235 zone for quite some time doing this.

About 3 or 4 years ago however the effectiveness of this started to run out. It became harder and harder to "get into" the state of ketosis for me. What used to take 2 or 3 days became perpetually longer and the weight came off slower and slower. Eventually I found myself back at the 250 lb mark at age 57. Not happening. I wasn't going to 300 lbs and an early grave if I could help it.

So, I was whining about this to my kids after thanksgiving dinner one year. None of my kids have this issue. They are all tall and slender, healthy. One of my daughters (who has a dietician degree) said I should watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on youtube. I did. It was pretty cool. Thought I'd give it a shot.

For the first 30 days I drank nothing but freshly made juice. It was great. Was never hungry. Lost 30 lbs right off the bat. Amazing. Then moderated it with a large salad every evening for another 6 weeks. A total of 10 weeks on the diet and saw the south side of 200 lbs for the first time in decades, losing 53 lbs in 10 weeks. It was really cool. But alas, after the 10 weeks and going off the hard line juice salad routine after a couple years I found myself staring at the 227 lb mark, just shy of 230, and I was not going to go above that, period. I got used to being lighter and liked it.

After scouring endless amounts of information I ended up with what is probably a vegan diet.

No meat/dairy/fish/eggs, no wheat (or most grain) products, no processed oils and no processed foods for the most part.

Just lots and lots of fruits and veggies. Fruits pretty much all day. Maybe juice once in awhile. I do some processed organic hummus and the like in the eve. A reasonable amount of avocados (1 or 2) for oil/protein in salads or salad dressings. Some cooked dishes for veggies, mostly in the evenings. Some ground flax seeds in the sauces for veggies for oil if I don't do an avocado or two. Or some coconut milk in the cooked veggies for lack of the other two sources for healthy oils. Have had more than enough to eat. And I do some brown rice/brown rice pasta's for protein. Completely satisfied.

And saw my weight drop down lower than ever. Back to about where I was at age 19, about 190 lbs. And still falling.

This is probably going to be a permanent change. I'm just sick of fighting it. It's too easy to stay away from the bad stuff when you are fed adequately without the no no's.

Yeah. It's vegan. And I like it, which is what counts to make it sustainable.

Have you considered a weight loss product?

I took 1/20 of the recommended daily dosage of one popular product and lost weight.

No where does it say you are required to take a full strength daily dose. It can be individual.

Jesus is the meat we consume after leaving our first estate. The reality is not about vegan vs those who eat meat. Sure diet styles exist, but I consider looking at the reality to decide about the shadow (hidden in creation and interaction of God and man).

eddif

Have you considered a weight loss product?

I took 1/20 of the recommended daily dosage of one popular product and lost weight.

No where does it say you are required to take a full strength daily dose. It can be individual.

Jesus is the meat we consume after leaving our first estate. The reality is not about vegan vs those who eat meat. Sure diet styles exist, but I consider looking at the reality to decide about the shadow (hidden in creation and interaction of God and man).

eddif

For me, personally, I have found it a very functional choice of eating or not eating things that cause me to "gain weight." What this entails, after a very long period of trial and errors including the Atkins (nearly all meat and dairy products, eggs, etc, little to no carbs) diet which was limited in it's effects on weight loss for me and other adverse side effects that others may not have, such as energy collapse when my glycogen stores were used up during longer times of physical exertion was this:

Eliminate meat, fish, dairy products, eggs, wheat products, processed oils, processed foods. And eat abundantly of what remains. I don't consider it a "diet" but a eating/lifestyle change. It is sometimes difficult to do when eating away from home, but it can be done. That is about the only drawback. Away from home I have had to make concessions and small adjustments/violations in order to make it practical and functional, SUCH AS going to a BBQ restaurant with friends/family. What is there for me to eat there? Sometimes very little. So I settle for deep fried sweet potato fries first, if available, or secondly, regular fries. Even though I don't want the oil they are cooked in. An occasional violation is not going to kill me. And I eat them with mustard, not HFCS ketchup. Nothing wrong with fries and beer. I just don't want the meat. Well, I do, but I can't because it means weight pile on.

If we go to an event or someone's home, I take my own food with me, already precooked/prepared, and leave it in my vehicle, in case the hosts don't have viable alternatives. Most of the time there is enough of viable alternatives available, even if it's just eating lightly, such as the fruits and veggies. I can always have more later when I get home.

Tomorrow I'm going walleye fishing with a couple of my long term buddies. Though I LOVE eating deep fried walleye and love fishing them, I will probably not and take my own food along, as we are hanging out overnight in a motor home. I may even take a bottle of Crown Reserve along for a drink or two with the pals. But even with this I can't take much of it. My system is running cleanly and my tolerance for alcohol is low. Just a couple of drinks will bloat me for 2-3 days afterwards til it's out of my system and I don't care for this after effect just as I don't care for the after effects of the items above. There are just better alternatives for me.

I have a great valeo (vegan/paleo) chocolate chip cookie recipe. Use Lily's chocolate chips; they don't have sugar (stevia) and they are organic. I swear they taste like the real deal. Be sure to buy organic almond flour though; almonds have a tendency to soak up pesticides. http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2013/03/29/the-best-paleo-chocolate-chip-cookies-ever/

Thanks! Been delightfully exploring a whole new world of eating, sans meat/dairy/eggs/fish/processed oils/processed foods. Don't miss them whatsoever.

I hope that works for you. Vegans usually do eat wheat though, so I'm not sure vegan is the proper label. But if it works for you than that's great.

I hope that works for you. Vegans usually do eat wheat though, so I'm not sure vegan is the proper label. But if it works for you than that's great.
I don't do well with a lot of grain products. That is just for me. That being said I don't hard line the matter, and will occasionally have organic corn bread, rice grain products, and yes, even beer.

I don't do well with a lot of grain products. That is just for me. That being said I don't hard line the matter, and will occasionally have organic corn bread, rice grain products, and yes, even beer.
Oh, okay. I was just under the impression you thought vegans didn't eat grains. As long as it works for you that's what matters.

Back